Class of 2022...how you doin'?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The one thing you’re not missing is the smeeeeellllllll :rofl:

YES! I absolutely love chickens but just mentioning the smell gives me flashbacks to the two chicken necropsies we've done (one fresh, one not-so-fresh).:)

Members don't see this ad.

Throwback to wildlife necropsy lab when my friend and I were dissecting a heron and looking for any GI pathology, and I couldn’t for the the life of me find the second cecum. We were freaking out until I flipped through my notes and realized I’m an idiot.

Members don't see this ad :)
We walked into the anatomy lab during the avian dissection lab and didn't see anything. Our professor said "I'll be right back" and he came back in 10 mins with a bunch of chickens that were still at body temperature... I tried not to question it...

One of the tech assistants specifically pulled me aside to ask for vet advice for her kitten who she was worried about the other day. Obviously I couldn't really tell her anything except "you should ask one of the actual vets", but it made me feel super warm and fuzzy that a staff member chose me as the person they wanted advice from. Apparently I don't come across as a complete idiot to everyone. :laugh:

Reactions: 13 users
One of the tech assistants specifically pulled me aside to ask for vet advice for her kitten who she was worried about the other day. Obviously I couldn't really tell her anything except "you should ask one of the actual vets", but it made me feel super warm and fuzzy that a staff member chose me as the person they wanted advice from. Apparently I don't come across as a complete idiot to everyone. :laugh:
Ballin'

Reactions: 1 user
After 2 years of saying I didn't see the point in getting a nice stethoscope until after graduation I just went ahead and bought a Cardiology IV lol.

My justification is that this summer I can actively tell when I am using my stethoscope vs a nicer one, and with the cardiology a doctor let me borrow I could actually hear more heart sounds. Plus my overtime on my last paycheque covers the cost.

Still feel kinda bad for buying it since I know my ears aren't really developed enough to justify it but oh well. :shrug:

Reactions: 5 users
After 2 years of saying I didn't see the point in getting a nice stethoscope until after graduation I just went ahead and bought a Cardiology IV lol.

My justification is that this summer I can actively tell when I am using my stethoscope vs a nicer one, and with the cardiology a doctor let me borrow I could actually hear more heart sounds. Plus my overtime on my last paycheque covers the cost.

Still feel kinda bad for buying it since I know my ears aren't really developed enough to justify it but oh well. :shrug:
Good choice!!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone apply for one of the FFAR epidemiology/zoonotic disease research grants for this summer?

Members don't see this ad :)

Totally worth it to get it while a student because you’ll grow with it and develop your skills with it. Getting a ****ty $15 one isn’t going to do you any favors. It’s not like you’re going to ruin it while you’re a student unless you’re reckless.

I’ve replaced the tubing like 3 times, and the diaphragm once, but my cardio iii has been with me for 10 years now and going strong. I bet it would be fine to use for another 10 years. Next time I need to replace the tubing though I think I’ll get a Welch allyn Harvey elite. I borrowed a student’s one day and really liked it. I’ll prob keep each at two different clinics.

Until you need to have the stethoscope on you at all times, keep it off your neck and stash it somewhere and go retrieve when you need it. The oils on your neck damage the tubing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Totally worth it to get it while a student because you’ll grow with it and develop your skills with it. Getting a ****ty $15 one isn’t going to do you any favors. It’s not like you’re going to ruin it while you’re a student unless you’re reckless.

I’ve replaced the tubing like 3 times, and the diaphragm once, but my cardio iii has been with me for 10 years now and going strong. I bet it would be fine to use for another 10 years. Next time I need to replace the tubing though I think I’ll get a Welch allyn Harvey elite. I borrowed a student’s one day and really liked it. I’ll prob keep each at two different clinics.
I love my Harvey elite :love: the school got us littmanns (don't remember what model right now) for graduation and engraved them and everything, but I can't bring myself to use it instead because I've had my stethoscope since first year and I like it better. Not really sure what to do with the new one :thinking:

I love my Harvey elite :love: the school got us littmanns (don't remember what model right now) for graduation and engraved them and everything, but I can't bring myself to use it instead because I've had my stethoscope since first year and I like it better. Not really sure what to do with the new one :thinking:
It’s not going to go bad so I would keep it for backup.

I would volunteer and pick up shifts elsewhere, and my usual stethoscope never left my home clinic. I always had an extra one to take.

Or sell it. The engraving is so little it’s not like anyone would notice it wasn’t yours. So I bet you’ll have a taker if you sell it a little cheaper than if they got it new.

I did Humane Alliance in January if anyone has any questions about it!

Hows everyone doing and feeling about going back?
I'm normally not one excited for school at all but with everything going on I'm ready to go back and have some sort of consistency. Excited and terrified for lots of labs with real doctory things.
Terrified to be learning small animal med and clin pharm mainly remotely but hoping our group plan of doing school as a mini group helps compared to last semester

Reactions: 8 users
I'm normally not one excited for school at all but with everything going on I'm ready to go back and have some sort of consistency. Excited and terrified for lots of labs with real doctory things.
Terrified to be learning small animal med and clin pharm mainly remotely but hoping our group plan of doing school as a mini group helps compared to last semester

We've got mostly electives and a few last core classes till white coat ceremony in November. The only major labs we would have to go in for are our curriculum spays. There are a few other ones and they will all be small groups etc. Other than that, looking forward to some more online jazz -- get to exercise in the am, take Z for a nice long walk, get some tunes going and rock on. I hope having that consistency back helps you :)

Reactions: 4 users

I'm also looking forward to having some consistency back, but sad that I won't get to see all my classmates again. Also very sad that I'll be leaving my summer job because I've had the most wonderful team to work with!

I go riding with our 3rd year clin pharm prof and the other day she was quizzing me about different drug mechanisms and which antibiotics I would use in certain situations... :help: I'm a bit worried for her class since pharm is not one of my strongest subjects.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm also looking forward to having some consistency back, but sad that I won't get to see all my classmates again. Also very sad that I'll be leaving my summer job because I've had the most wonderful team to work with!

I go riding with our 3rd year clin pharm prof and the other day she was quizzing me about different drug mechanisms and which antibiotics I would use in certain situations... :help: I'm a bit worried for her class since pharm is not one of my strongest subjects.
To be fair antibiotics and drug mechanisms are not the strong suit of a single person I know. That ish is confusing and I think you only start to get really comfortable with it once you start using them

Reactions: 7 users

I was bad at pharm in school. Real bad. Super extra bad. But...

To be fair antibiotics and drug mechanisms are not the strong suit of a single person I know. That ish is confusing and I think you only start to get really comfortable with it once you start using them
This. Now that I'm actually using the drugs we talked about I have a better appreciation for which ones to use when and how they work.

Charts help for the school part though!

Reactions: 4 users
I was bad at pharm in school. Real bad. Super extra bad. But...

This. Now that I'm actually using the drugs we talked about I have a better appreciation for which ones to use when and how they work.

Charts help for the school part though!

I definitely got a better handle on all the anesthesia and analgesia drugs while using them in clinic this summer, so I am hoping antibiotics come along the same way. Your words give me some comfort that this may be the case, so thank you!

I know I said I wanted to go back, but seeing the 23+ files uploaded for Eq med for the first exam makes me less so. I am not prepared to have this amount of information in my life again...yay for med courses :dead:

• Haha
I know I said I wanted to go back, but seeing the 23+ files uploaded for Eq med for the first exam makes me less so. I am not prepared to have this amount of information in my life again...yay for med courses :dead:
SA and equine med were fun. Ag animal was ridiculous because a certain someone who teaches most of it bases most of his test questions off of things he says that aren’t on slides or diagrams anywhere and over the tiniest details lol and loves purposefully making trick questions. Like multiple questions on the first exam that 20% or less got correct and he just told us it was all our fault not his for writing a crap question :laugh:

SA and equine med were fun. Ag animal was ridiculous because a certain someone who teaches most of it bases most of his test questions off of things he says that aren’t on slides or diagrams anywhere and over the tiniest details lol and loves purposefully making trick questions. Like multiple questions on the first exam that 20% or less got correct and he just told us it was all our fault not his for writing a crap question :laugh:
Dr.W? Or Dr.B? I've heard mixed things about both of them and already know I dont learn well from one of them so its gonna be fun. Hoping my previous knowledge helps out.

Yeah I'm excited and terrified all at the same time all online just makes it that much more terrifying

Dr.W? Or Dr.B? I've heard mixed things about both of them and already know I dont learn well from one of them so its gonna be fun. Hoping my previous knowledge helps out.

Yeah I'm excited and terrified all at the same time all online just makes it that much more terrifying
W. B is awesome and second semester was way better. He also tests off more of what he says BUT straight forward questions and not minute details and questions meant to trip you up like W.

i stopped going to W classes so I could watch them online and pause often so write down everything he said (like literally everything) after his first test when I realized how he tested. Did way better on the test of his tests.

W. B is awesome and second semester was way better. He also tests off more of what he says BUT straight forward questions and not minute details and questions meant to trip you up like W.

i stopped going to W classes so I could watch them online and pause often so write down everything he said (like literally everything) after his first test when I realized how he tested. Did way better on the test of his tests.
Yeah nutrition with him 1st year was rough

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I'm off to a great start this semester.

Haven't had a computer for 3 weeks, still don't have wifi at my house until later this week. My laptop charger arrived this morning so I went over and stole a friend's wifi. Now I've spent a number of hours catching up on emails, student association stuff, etc and still haven't touched the full day of lectures. Of which several contain homework and/or groupwork. Yippee!

I'm happy to be back, but I'm pretty behind on house organizing and school already. It will be a busy week playing catchup lol.

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Feeling very back and forth about going back to school. Our school sent a vague email that our year will be kept out of the hospital as much as possible which was disappointing. However, after seeing many social media posts of my classmates out at bars and such, maybe I'm not all that sad we aren't going to be stuck in small spaces together...

Reactions: 3 users
Feeling very back and forth about going back to school. Our school sent a vague email that our year will be kept out of the hospital as much as possible which was disappointing. However, after seeing many social media posts of my classmates out at bars and such, maybe I'm not all that sad we aren't going to be stuck in small spaces together...
Seriously... What is with vet students' complete lack of regard for social distancing and masks? Seems like a common problem at a lot of schools. Weddings, bars, BBQs, and more. A lot of people act like their friends/family are immune to covid even though they know better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Seriously... What is with vet students' complete lack of regard for social distancing and masks? Seems like a common problem at a lot of schools. Weddings, bars, BBQs, and more. A lot of people act like their friends/family are immune to covid even though they know better .
I think, for many, it’s just out of sight and out of mind until they are personally impacted, be it by contracting the virus themselves or having a friend or family member get sick or even die. At least where I’m at, people are tired of the mitigation measures and are starting to (sometimes actively) rebel against them. Americans being hyper-individualistic as a whole compared to other industrialized nations that have done a much better job quelling it doesn’t help.

Not condoning or excusing these behaviors at all, though, obviously. I won’t lie: I’m a bit disheartened by the lack of empathy and disregard for the public health by individuals who come from and work in science-based professions and really ought to know better. It can feel incredibly discouraging to try to continue doing the right things and take precautions when so few around you seem to even care anymore. But we all have our part to play and it’s important that we keep being responsible.

When people wonder why students don't want to be online here was our first day:
1)Internet kept kicking us so we had to move houses between lectures and basically missed most of the 1st lecture
2)Second lecture the lecturer would get super static like and could not understand them at all and would randomly get loud spikes blowing our ears out-it has to basically be regiven and watched again so we can get anything out of it
3)the next lecture was fine, but it had been unclear as to what slide set he was using as it wasn't posted for us
4)some people were left unassigned for group rooms so didn't get to complete our group activity

Stressful first day. At least we are all in this together? Thankfully we have a VERY small group that's still allowed to attend lecture on a rotating schedule so they were somewhat able to help but man NOT looking forward to a whole semester of this :dead:

When people wonder why students don't want to be online here was our first day:
1)Internet kept kicking us so we had to move houses between lectures and basically missed most of the 1st lecture
2)Second lecture the lecturer would get super static like and could not understand them at all and would randomly get loud spikes blowing our ears out-it has to basically be regiven and watched again so we can get anything out of it
3)the next lecture was fine, but it had been unclear as to what slide set he was using as it wasn't posted for us
4)some people were left unassigned for group rooms so didn't get to complete our group activity

Stressful first day. At least we are all in this together? Thankfully we have a VERY small group that's still allowed to attend lecture on a rotating schedule so they were somewhat able to help but man NOT looking forward to a whole semester of this :dead:
Our 11 am lecture video (we have prerecorded lecture videos) was not posted until 2:30 pm. Our 1 pm lecture video was posted sometime between 2 and 2:30. Our zoom case discussion kept cutting out one of the professors voices because of his internet connection. Half of our powerpoints were not even posted until after class time had started. We have known we were going to be fully online for 3rd years since at least the beginning of August. And you can send your stuff in incredibly early to be posted.

Week 1 down: don't feel like I'm drowning...yet. Pod school has been super helpful for me paying attention, not falling asleep and making it feel more like school. Also since alot of the lectures have case base stuff in them it's nice to sit in a room with other people and discuss before the teacher gives an answer. Also got to go into school for resource lab which was nice, however, jr surgery is gonna be a toasty one gowned, gloved, mast&face shield made for a super hot practice run

Damn. I don't know if I just had a really good group, but everyone in my client simulations group killed it yesterday. They sounded so professional and doctor-y, but were still so kind and wonderful. They are all going to be incredible with clients down the road; I would love to be a client of theirs.

Really loving getting to see my classmates step into true baby-vet status. Yesterday was the first time I really feel like I can see the doctors they are going to be. :love:

Reactions: 9 users
Anyway, I've still been a mess to the start of the year. My laptop ended up dying for good first week, so I had to go buy a new computer and get that figured out. I'm now still 20ish lectures behind because I could not make myself focus last week, and am now trying to catch up on that and everything else. Despite being so behind I went camping this weekend because why not.

I've forgotten everything from last year so I feel way more stupid right now than usual.

Really liking the 3rd year material though, soooooo much more interesting than anything we've done to date.

Anyone else just so tired? I assume it’s because of online/at-home learning, but it’s only day 3 of 3rd year for me and I’m EXHAUSTED.
I always felt that way at the start (and middle...and end...) of a semester, even being in person! But I do find zoom lectures particularly tiring. Have not done the best job paying attention in my PhD classes so far.

Anyone else just so tired? I assume it’s because of online/at-home learning, but it’s only day 3 of 3rd year for me and I’m EXHAUSTED.

Halfway through week two and yes, very tired all the time. I don't mind online learning since I am all about the 2x speed button, but since some of our more intense courses are in limbo right now (recorded but we can't see them because they're transitioning to our platform?) we've all been wide-eyed and super unsure on what to do. The whole class is about six lectures behind :dead: