Class of 2023... how you doin?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What is this magical day?
I'm not sure how common of a thing it is, but I know a handful of schools I applied to do it. Basically a day full of information (financial aid, about the area, etc.), chances to meet current students and future classmates, I went to the one at LMU before I had committed to Virginia-Maryland, and I'm PUMPED!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure how common of a thing it is, but I know a handful of schools I applied to do it. Basically a day full of information (financial aid, about the area, etc.), chances to meet current students and future classmates, I went to the one at LMU before I had committed to Virginia-Maryland, and I'm PUMPED!!

I wish my school had this!

Who else is restless waiting for August?

I'm trying to enjoy the last few months I have before school.

I'm feeling restless about finding a place to live and getting loans figured out because I like to have things planned way in advance

Reactions: 1 users

I was so restless that when I got into Ross, I decide to switch to the May semester lol. I’m now technically Class of 2022, but I feel like Class of 2023 since this is the cycle I applied. :shrug:

Oh for sure. But I spoke with my therapist about it (side note: if any of you have never been to one, it’s awesome) and he gave me some great advice. Don’t plan too far ahead into the future. Sure, thinking about what I want to do is a great idea. But don’t try to make solid plans so far in advance. Things like where I want to do an internship and residency, where I’ll live for those things, etc. The likelihood of wanting the same things in four years that I want now are very slim. You can plan for the big picture (e.g. I want to specialize in small animal surgery) but you shouldn’t put excessive thought into anything beyond that. Put most of your thought into what’s happening today, tomorrow, and this week. There is enough stress in our lives based off of what’s going on now that we don’t need to add on things happening years from now. Just be.

i finally declined my spot at western. i was putting it off because i was afraid that i would find a way to **** something up with penn and get my acceptance rescinded or something (can't remember if it was this thread or a different one where i talked this). but i finally let my logical brain triumph over my anxiety brain for a brief moment, and officially pressed the decline offer button.
I'm having some major anxiety (like legit panic attacks) about finding an apartment in philly remotely from CA. esp one that will be OK with my birds. ill probably try to go out there in late april or may to look in person. i also keep going back and forth about whether or not i should even move with my birds at all. will i be able to give them the attention they need and deserve? is it worth the stress on them to move them across the country? i want to live with other vet students, but i have no idea how they will be with dogs or cats around. i don't want to get out there and realize that its not realistic to have them and then have to re-home them after I've already put them through the stress of a cross country move. but i love them so much and i don't want to get rid of them if i don't have to.

if anyone going to western or davis is interested in 2 amazing senegal parrots, i would give them to a great home, cage and toys included, for free, and i would drive them to you. they are a bonded pair so they live in the same cage and since they're together, they require much less attention than a solo parrot would. i have left them alone in their cage for 24h before (only twice, and they were a little grumpy when i did get home, but it can be done in a pinch), and they are regularly in their cage alone for 12h at a time (when both me and my roommate work the same shift) and they are totally fine with that. i just let them out for some time when i do get home. ricky is SO sweet, he thinks he's a dog and loves to play and cuddle with everyone. lucy is more aloof and is def a one-person bird, and she prefers to stay in her hidey place and shred things. they are both really nice birds and will only bite if you ignore the one billion signals they give to leave them alone first. its actually amazing how sweet they are, esp considering they are a bonded pair. so many people have commented to me that they have never encountered a bonded pair of parrots who are so good with people still.
sorry that's my little plug for my birds. I'm not kidding, if anyone in california is interested, please PM me. thinking about the stress of moving with them (both for me AND for them) is giving me legit panic attacks.

but also if anyone has any experience moving long distances with birds specifically, i would really appreciate any insights or suggestions you may have!!!

Oh for sure. But I spoke with my therapist about it (side note: if any of you have never been to one, it’s awesome) and he gave me some great advice. Don’t plan too far ahead into the future. Sure, thinking about what I want to do is a great idea. But don’t try to make solid plans so far in advance. Things like where I want to do an internship and residency, where I’ll live for those things, etc. The likelihood of wanting the same things in four years that I want now are very slim. You can plan for the big picture (e.g. I want to specialize in small animal surgery) but you shouldn’t put excessive thought into anything beyond that. Put most of your thought into what’s happening today, tomorrow, and this week. There is enough stress in our lives based off of what’s going on now that we don’t need to add on things happening years from now. Just be.
This is a great point. We've all been working for years to get to where will be in less than 5 months and it's hard not to already be working towards the next project or obstacle. I've decided to put my brain into arts and crafts this spring and summer till I can do more about vet school things. (Cause I do always have to be working towards something)

Reactions: 4 users
This is a great point. We've all been working for years to get to where will be in less than 5 months and it's hard not to already be working towards the next project or obstacle. I've decided to put my brain into arts and crafts this spring and summer till I can do more about vet school things. (Cause I do always have to be working towards something)
Exactly! Like, there’s nothing wrong with planning things out when you’re in school and have the proper resources to plan those things out. But right now, do what makes you happy and relieves stress. Do arts and crafts, play video games, vegetate on the couch watching Netflix, work out. Aside from getting apartments and the necessities for school, we don’t need to think so much about it. We’re in. Let’s all relax a bit.

Reactions: 6 users
Have you guys decided what you’re summer plans are? I’m on the fence with getting a summer job and working as much as possible to build my savings more, or just working some and enjoying our last free summer :)

Have you guys decided what you’re summer plans are? I’m on the fence with getting a summer job and working as much as possible to build my savings more, or just working some and enjoying our last free summer :)
I'm working until probably early/mid July, and then I'm going to try to have as much fun as possible before starting school!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well as soon as I graduated this past December I took a full time job since I wasn't sure if I'd get in this cycle. I'll probably decided to work until late July and just save as much money as possible. Fortunately my schedule let's me have 3 day weekends that I've been trying to use for mini travels and enjoying time off with sewing projects and friends.

What's VIN?
VIN Promo Home - Top

It's essentially a Veterinary network/forum. The vets I work with consult it almost daily to see what the most current information is for all sorts of treatments or issues. They offer a bunch of resources for students as well. (And it's free for students!)

Reactions: 2 users
I've been out of school for a couple years now so I'm just going to continue to work till later July. Going to make money while I can (and utilize my health benefits too!), and my work would be even more sad if I left any earlier. Lol
Though I am planning to take at least one week long vacation before I leave!

I'm working until probably early/mid July, and then I'm going to try to have as much fun as possible before starting school!
Well as soon as I graduated this past December I took a full time job since I wasn't sure if I'd get in this cycle. I'll probably decided to work until late July and just save as much money as possible. Fortunately my schedule let's me have 3 day weekends that I've been trying to use for mini travels and enjoying time off with sewing projects and friends.
I've been out of school for a couple years now so I'm just going to continue to work till later July. Going to make money while I can (and utilize my health benefits too!), and my work would be even more sad if I left any earlier. Lol
Though I am planning to take at least one week long vacation before I leave!
That’s awesome! That sounds great to me. I graduate with my masters in May, so I’m trying to find a summer job that makes more than minimum wage but all of you sound like you have a good balance for the summer!

VIN Promo Home - Top

It's essentially a Veterinary network/forum. The vets I work with consult it almost daily to see what the most current information is for all sorts of treatments or issues. They offer a bunch of resources for students as well. (And it's free for students!)

Their anatomy resources are excellent and they’ve added a lot more since I took anatomy!

BUT I thought about how I worked so hard (3 years of adulthood working and schooling) and how I had so many people rooting for me to get in that I realized I HAD to do it. I also thought back to why I started this journey and it’s because as I get older I want NO REGRETS. So I took a big breath, dropped my letter in the mail, and did the childhood dance of jumping, clapping, and grinning.

SO IM GOING TO VET SCHOOL!

I agree! Before this acceptance, I had convinced myself that it wasn't going to happen this cycle (waitlisted at 2 places) and I was struggling to decide to apply again. I was kicking myself for not trying to get this done years earlier, that I had missed my window to apply and it would be the biggest regret of my life.

After realizing that, I now can't deny myself the opportunity and have a true reason for regret later in life. So...deposit paid last night.

HOLY COW, we're going to VET SCHOOL!!!! :soexcited:

Reactions: 15 users
Saw this on my FB feed from a 3rd year. Thought you all could use it :)
54358220_2259218974120945_4299154176149028864_n.jpg

Reactions: 13 users
Saw this on my FB feed from a 3rd year. Thought you all could use it :)
54358220_2259218974120945_4299154176149028864_n.jpg
I can relate to this. I'm now convinced that I'm going to flunk out of vet school and that I don't belong.

I can relate to this. I'm now convinced that I'm going to flunk out of vet school and that I don't belong.
yup yup yup. I felt that before starting. I also felt that all throughout first year aaaaaand second year. I’m adopting it as kind of my life motto at this point. I’m not saying imposter syndrome goes away, you just get a lot better at pretending you think you belong

Reactions: 3 users
Like this?

Attachments

• IMG954315~2.jpg
    IMG954315~2.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 166
Reactions: 16 users
Not to ruin the pessimism here, but I feel completely different. Never felt more like an adult than I do right now.

Back in January I moved out of my parent's house for the first time. I'm having a very good experience. I met my roommate over Craigslist but we get along very well and it is pretty ideal, everything I wanted. Well priced, a lot closer to work, near parks and shopping, and dog friendly (that was the limiting factor, there are very few dog friendly roommate ads out there)

And I have my tour booked to Turkey, applied for my passport. Unfortunately I'll leave the day of my friend's wedding, which would be the first wedding I go to if I can make it.

And I got my stethoscope, which I LOVE. Beautiful brown/copper combo, everyone at work agreed it was stunning.

Reactions: 7 users
Not to ruin the pessimism here, but I feel completely different. Never felt more like an adult than I do right now.

Back in January I moved out of my parent's house for the first time. I'm having a very good experience. I met my roommate over Craigslist but we get along very well and it is pretty ideal, everything I wanted. Well priced, a lot closer to work, near parks and shopping, and dog friendly (that was the limiting factor, there are very few dog friendly roommate ads out there)

And I have my tour booked to Turkey, applied for my passport. Unfortunately I'll leave the day of my friend's wedding, which would be the first wedding I go to if I can make it.

And I got my stethoscope, which I LOVE. Beautiful brown/copper combo, everyone at work agreed it was stunning.
Its totally ok to feel this way too! You're not alone. Alot of people struggle with imposter syndrome but like you when I got in I didnt feel that way at all. Just know that when school starts you're probably the minority I think is a safe assumption. I had an adult job at the time- I was still living at home but it was more of a means if saving money since I was probably going to vet school, but it was really mostly just a place to sleep I was running around so much. I think personally for me the hardest part about not feeling imposter syndrome is helping your friends adjust to not being to the right of the curve all of the time. Put 90+ type A personalities together and then everyone has to realign and it's a hard process at first I think for most people. Not feeling imposter syndrome and being a little more type B, while I was ok with being to the left or right in the middle of the curve as long as I'm passing I am happy, it was a huge adjustment for my best friends and navigating those waters can be tricky.

BTW we have COLE mentor training today for you guys

i thought i was the only one... turns out there are so many impostors and second guessers once you finally get accepted!

Now that everything is confirmed and I know 100% that nothing is in my way of matriculating, I’m feeling a little less impostery. Now it’s shifting over to scared as hell. I’m moving on June 1st to my new apartment and that’s the next thing to worry about. And my girlfriend’s family told my girlfriend and me to promise them that we’d visit (an hour away) every two weeks. I said yes, knowing full well that that’s absolutely not possible. It was just easier than telling them the truth and starting a whole thing right now. There’s just a lot I’m scared of. I definitely didn’t feel this way about going to college. So many moving parts compared to going away to college.

Now that everything is confirmed and I know 100% that nothing is in my way of matriculating, I’m feeling a little less impostery. Now it’s shifting over to scared as hell. I’m moving on June 1st to my new apartment and that’s the next thing to worry about. And my girlfriend’s family told my girlfriend and me to promise them that we’d visit (an hour away) every two weeks. I said yes, knowing full well that that’s absolutely not possible. It was just easier than telling them the truth and starting a whole thing right now. There’s just a lot I’m scared of. I definitely didn’t feel this way about going to college. So many moving parts compared to going away to college.

Yeah, honestly I’m excited but also pretty scared as well. I’m moving down next month and starting school beginning of May—it really hit me last week when I went down to visit Ross. I think it was the first time I really started to process the huge changes that are going to happen in my life. The whole moving on to a new chapter in my life feeling is always scary.

I’m really happy I went down to visit the island and school first though, it really helped ease my anxiety with my move down there.

Officially decided to go back so I'll be 2023 with y'all. Imposter syndrome is real and can derail you if you let it.

Hello future veterinary students!!! Hope you're all excited about starting vet school in the fall!! Sorry for being a bit of a downer here, but there is an epidemic within our field and I hope you can help be a part of a solution for it in the future.
Tomorrow is the day where we celebrate the #VetMedUnited movement! It is a day of remembrance of veterinarians and veterinary students we have lost to suicide and an opportunity to celebrate steps we can take, both together and individually, to better our well-being. You can participate by wearing Purple and/or Teal Tomorrow! Let's unite and raise awareness of the epidemic within our community! #VetMedUnited #NoMore!

Reactions: 14 users
Is anyone else feeling paranoid and checking their confirmation emails? Not sure if the imposter syndrome is already setting in, but I feel like I'm going to wake up tomorrow and find out that my deposit didn't go through or that I forgot to submit something :help:

Reactions: 8 users
Is anyone else feeling paranoid and checking their confirmation emails? Not sure if the imposter syndrome is already setting in, but I feel like I'm going to wake up tomorrow and find out that my deposit didn't go through or that I forgot to submit something :help:
If you’re genuinely concerned like I was because I’m a spazz and can’t just accept that this is happening, call admissions and confirm over the phone. Hearing it from the director of admissions really helped me calm down and focus on other things in my life. Vet school is still 4 months away. We did the hard part of getting in. We should be able to calm down and just let it be for now.

Side note: yes vet school’s hard, but you’re statistically way more likely to make it through than you are to get accepted (like, 99% in some places vs around 50% chance of getting in somewhere).

Reactions: 6 users
Haha yes. Even though I got an email saying "congrats on being a member of the class of 2023" I still sent admissions an email to make sure they got everything. Made me feel a lot better, a little silly, but better.

It wasn't until I had confirmation for my deposit and had my new student account set up that I could bring myself to decline my other offers because I was so terrified there was some awful mistake!

I am currently getting emotional over all the 2024 threads popping up. Brings back memories. :oops:

Reactions: 12 users
It wasn't until I had confirmation for my deposit and had my new student account set up that I could bring myself to decline my other offers because I was so terrified there was some awful mistake!
Even though I've set up my account, I'm still waiting to receive an email saying "sorry, we messed up. You're actually not accepted".

Even though I've set up my account, I'm still waiting to receive an email saying "sorry, we messed up. You're actually not accepted".

This is so relatable!! When I first got my acceptance to my IS school I immediately thought there had to be some sort of mistake or misunderstanding and that they e-mailed me by accident. Still not 100% convinced I’m going

CSU didn't even send confirmation emails. Instead, I got a response two days later from the director of admissions confirming a scholarship that they offered me. I definitely had a panic attack wondering if I had accidentally clicked "deny" or something.

This is so relatable!! When I first got my acceptance to my IS school I immediately thought there had to be some sort of mistake or misunderstanding and that they e-mailed me by accident. Still not 100% convinced I’m going
Honestly, after what happened with Illinois this year, I can’t blame people for having been a little uneasy after getting a letter. I’m not sure how many people this happened to, but they sent the wrong letters to people and it caused a lot of confusion. I’m glad Penn called because they also sent a thin letter with just an acceptance letter inside and I would’ve definitely doubted that otherwise. They reached out to us like three different ways to make sure we knew it was for real.

Now that I got the call from KSU I can finally put my 6 waitlists behind me and start planning for my future! I feel like I've been in this weird limbo for the past three months and I am so glad it's over. But I am still getting anxious that yesterday was a dream. I kept checking my phone to make sure that I actually DID get a call from Manhattan, Kansas haha. I even call admissions again this morning the confirm everything I have to do now to secure my spot. Anyways, being able to call my parents yesterday and tell them the good news was probably one of the best feelings I've ever had. I'm so excited to be in the c/o 2023!!!!!

Reactions: 17 users
I am currently getting emotional over all the 2024 threads popping up. Brings back memories. :oops:
Oh my gosh yes! This was the first year I got my tax return and didn’t have to save all of it to help pay for the GRE or vet school applications, and it really left me awe struck that it’s finally hitting me!

So I don't know about all of you, but it was a really unique/exciting/relaxing feeling to see that VMCAS just opened for the next cycle and know that I now have no obligation to it.

Took the deepest of sighs. Lol

Reactions: 22 users
So I don't know about all of you, but it was a really unique/exciting/relaxing feeling to see that VMCAS just opened for the next cycle and know that I now have no obligation to it.

YES!!!! Not gonna lie, I cried a little bit when I read that it was open and realized that for the first time in 3 years I don't have to stress about reviewing everything and writing/editing essays!!

Reactions: 9 users
I was lucky enough to only have to apply once, but once was enough. VMCAS is a train wreck. It’s slightly streamlined but there were some lapses in information that made you have to double check everything on the school’s actual website. Entering transcripts... my god. That’s something that really shouldn’t have taken as long as it did. $1300 plus other supplemental fees and plane tickets gone from my bank account. I’m not going to miss all of the stress that VMCAS brought on.

Literally such a relief. Although I do feel for everyone that is starting this process for the first(or more) time.

I've been having weird feelings. All of my undergrad classmates are graduating vet school this month and I'm just starting this August. It makes me feel like I'm behind even though I know I only realized I wanted to do this last year and that in these four years I've been able to have tons of experiences I otherwise wouldn't have had.

Idk, is anyone else going to school a little later than they planned?

I've been having weird feelings. All of my undergrad classmates are graduating vet school this month and I'm just starting this August. It makes me feel like I'm behind even though I know I only realized I wanted to do this last year and that in these four years I've been able to have tons of experiences I otherwise wouldn't have had.

Yes, starting 3 years later than planned!

I came to vet school at 30. I should have graduated in 2017 but did a couple years PhD in between and just now graduated. So I have both people in their 20's graduating with me and kept up with my buds that were done in '17. It is easy to think you're somehow behind, but there really is no reason to let it bug you. 4 years flies by, then you're a veterinarian too and it doesn't matter one lick. I wouldn't change anything about the way I got here either because I've had a lot of different experiences and know that PhD is something I took a good look at but ultimately isn't me at all. haha

Reactions: 11 users