DMU vs CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMU vs CCOM

• DMU

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • CCOM

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters

NordMed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I know this has been addressed to some degree or another in the past, but I have what I feel is a somewhat unique situation with regards to this decision since I am an Air Force HPSP student (i.e. tuition is irrelevant).

I have acceptances to both CCOM and DMU, and am having an enormously difficult time making a decision. I am hoping some current students or anyone who has had to make this decision themselves could weigh in with their thought processes.

To give some background, I am from Minneapolis, MN, married, and both our families are there. My wife and I are hoping to end up back there one day, possibly doing my residency there. Right now my current interest is in interventional radiology, but this is obviously subject to change. My wife works in business, we know a couple people in the Chicago area but no one in Des Moines (though it is closer to home). We like the opportunities Chicago provides but like the easy living that Des Moines offers. We will likely rent/buy a house wherever we end up.

Thanks for contributing your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd imagine home prices would be higher in Downer's Grove (wealthy Chicagoland suburb) than in Des Moines, but you're also getting a stipend from the HPSP so maybe that doesn't matter. Being in Chicagoland would mean for more things to do (whenever you have time), and likely more job opportunities for your wife. Don't know if you have research goals, but even if you can't find any at CCOM or DMU, you'd have a better shot at probably finding something in Chicago at the other universities or hospitals. I think both schools use ABCD system, but maybe see which one doesn't test as much so you're not burned out. DMU's rotations will be across Iowa and some other nearby states, whereas CCOM's rotations will probably be in Chicagoland. So see if that matters.

Because the tuition is irrelevant than I say CCOM. Their rotations are better and you will likely be able to build better connections for residency their as well.