This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do I have a shot?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Alienman52

Straight from the Mothership
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy, finally my turn to give this a shot. Please let me know what you think my chances are with the following details:
Race: White Male.
College: I attend a top tier liberal arts college in PA. I am a NY resident, however.
Major:
Biochemistry
GPA trend has been fairly decent (Semester System):
Freshman: 3.08, 3.04
Sophomore: 3.18, 3.68
Junior: 3.35, 3.6-3.66 (Awaiting grades for this semester, but this is the anticipated range. This semester was also overloaded with an extra course, and I still did ok.)
My high school really didn't prepare me too well for the rigors of a college curriculum, and so I didn't do too well my freshman year... Hopefully a somewhat decent upward trend will help...​
Pre-Req Grades:
Gen Chem I&II: B, C+ (Took another upper level Inorganic Chemistry Course my Soph year, and got an A to hopefully help compensate for the C+)
Bio I&II: B+, B-
Orgo I&II: A-, A-
English Classes: A, A
Upper Level Sciences: 450 & 350 level Biochem courses = A, A- (respectively)
Physics I&II: B,B
Haven't had time to take psych/soc
Official AACOMAS cGPA & sGPA: 3.31-3.32, 3.28-3.29
These are dependent upon my grades from this semester; I have a range for these grades narrowed so these vary very slightly. Not that it really makes much of a difference here as we can see however...​
MCAT:
Took the new MCAT September before my Junior year started, and scored a 501 with respective breakdown as:
125 CP, 124 CARS, 126 BB, 126 PS
Re-took the MCAT April 23rd of this year, hoping to score 503 or above. a 501 is the equivalent of a 26 on the old system, 502 is a 27 (1 percentile point below), 503 is slightly above a 27 (Perhaphs 27.3) 504 = 28 and so on. (Just for the folks who don't feel like looking up elfie's conversion scale.)
Let's hope things pan out when I get my scores May 24th.​
LOR's:
1 Extremely strong letter from an MD interventional cardiologist
1 Good letter from a DO dermatologist
3 Fairly decent Science Prof. letters
1 College Pre-Med Committee Letter
EC's: (*NOTE: ALL INTERNSHIPS WERE UNPAID)
This is my place to shine as I do have some pretty good EC's.
College Related:
1. President & Founder of my college's Chess Club
2. President & former Vice President of my college's Ice Skating Club (Played hockey when I was younger.)
3. Member of my college's Co-ed Acapella group, vocal percussionist. (Any Beatboxers out there??)​
Medically Related: (Clinical)
1. Volunteered at a hospital near me in the cardiology department. (33 hrs)
- Assisted nursing staff with non contact patient care
- Assisted with patient record keeping, meal orders, and provided proper equipment for monitoring vitals. (Cardiology Dept.)​
2. Student Internship at a Private Practice near me (they offered student positions a while ago which was pretty cool so I took them up on it) (40 hrs)
- Attended cardiology and gastroenterology lectures given by respective attendings.
- Shadowed a cardiologist here briefly
- Given private physiology lecture while patient was given MRI.​
3. Shadowed interventional cardiologist MD who wrote my letter for me during 13 cardiac catheterization procedures. Each was around 45 min to 1.5 hrs.​
Medically Related: (Research:) (Cant give out too much info here)
1. American Heart Association NYC Internship (50 hrs)
- Worked on charting out the best routes for ambulances to get to PCI hospitals.​
2. Clinical Cardiology Research Internship. (Around 375-400 hrs) This was done with same MD who wrote my letter
- Headed my own research project on heart disease awareness. We had two studies done, one being a preliminary study sending out a survey to 3 school student bodies. The second being a larger study, sending the survey out to 5 schools, including an optometry school, and receiving more responses.
- We used the same data for a second study, that I also headed.
- Received 3 first author abstract publications. 1 in AHA journal, 2 in International Academy of Cardiology Journal.
- Presented 1 of these abstracts as a poster presentation during one of the meetings.
3. Worked with the DO who wrote my letter on a paper that I am still currently working on.
- Call this a "Student Research Internship in Dermatology. He's very well known in the dermatology community.​

4. UNC Chapel Hill School of Med Student Research Internship: (Around 27 hrs)
- Really can't give too much info on this because the area of study is very specific. All in all, it was held at a national rodent research center.​
I also have various community service experiences that I plan to share.​
Here's my Schools List. I am fortunate enough to not have to worry about financial instability.
I also don't plan on narrowing this list down very much. Yeah I might be wasting money but I really need to apply broadly with my low stats.

University of Pikeville-Kentucky COM
Liberty University COM
New York Institute of Technology COM
Nova Southeastern University COM
Philadelphia COM
Philadelphia COM - Georgia Campus
Alabama COM
A.T. Still University- Kirksville COM
A.T. Still University - School of OM in Arizona
Burrell COM at New Mexico State University
Campbell University Jerry M. Wallace SOM
Des Moines University COM
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences COM
Arizona COM of Midwestern University
Chicago COM of Midwestern University
Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences COM
Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences COM
Lincoln Memorial University - Debusk COM
Edward Via COM - Auburn
Edward Via COM - Carolinas Campus
Edward Via COM - Virginia Campus
William Carey University COM
Touro University COM - California
Michigan State University COM

LOOKOUT MED SCHOOL ADCOMS, HERE COMES ANOTHER UNDERDOG ACCEPTANCE.....
(........er.......tentatively..........;))
any help appreciated. Thoughts @Goro ?

Members don't see this ad.

You have at least 10 schools on your list where you could receive an interview with your current stats. If your new MCAT is greater than 505 that number would be higher. Michigan State prefers Michigan residents. Have you thought about applying after your senior year? Your GPA could potentially be higher then which would give you more options.

Reactions: 1 user
I recommend:

Philadelphia COM
Alabama COM
Edward Via COM - Auburn
UNECOM
NYITCOM-AR
LECOM
LECOM-B
MUCOM

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You have at least 10 schools on your list where you could receive an interview with your current stats. If your new MCAT is greater than 505 that number would be higher. Michigan State prefers Michigan residents. Have you thought about applying after your senior year? Your GPA could potentially be higher then which would give you more options.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I know MSUCOM likes the in state people but my letter writer DO is actually an MSUCOM grad so I figured I'd apply.
I recommend:

Philadelphia COM
Alabama COM
Edward Via COM - Auburn
UNECOM
NYITCOM-AR
LECOM
LECOM-B
MUCOM

Thanks for the reply @Goro. I didn't know NYITCOM had two campuses. I'm looking on their website and the arkansas campus isnt set to open until 2016. I'm not sure if i'll be able to apply this cycle (im not sure the campus will be open in time) but I will most definitely do some research to find out.

Any thoughts @gyngyn

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I know MSUCOM likes the in state people but my letter writer DO is actually an MSUCOM grad so I figured I'd apply.

Thanks for the reply @Goro. I didn't know NYITCOM had two campuses. I'm looking on their website and the arkansas campus isnt set to open until 2016. I'm not sure if i'll be able to apply this cycle (im not sure the campus will be open in time) but I will most definitely do some research to find out.

Any thoughts @gyngyn
I am no expert on nuances of DO admissions. I would defer to my colleague, @Goro.

I am no expert on nuances of DO admissions. I would defer to my colleague, @Goro.

Gotcha, thanks anyway.

EDIT: Did some research and it looks like I can apply to the NYITCOM - arkasas campus if I email the admissions office saying I'm interested....I hope that's true. (Theres no specific portal for the arkansas campus on AACOMAS) Sent an email with questions to them to confirm.

My understanding is that MSUCOM favors the home team.
Gotcha. The DO who wrote one of my letters of rec is an MSUCOM grad, so I figured I'd apply. Maybe he could put a good word in...

UPDATE: final grades were 3.66c, 3.58s. Will update with MCAT May 24th.
cGPA is now 3.34c and 3.29s. Not much of a difference, but its something at least.

Following so I can hear what your MCAT score is. Rooting for you OP!

Well, I screwed up kids. Old mcat score was 501 with breakdown:
125 CP 124 CARS 126 BB 126 PS

New mcat is 500:
125 CP 123 CARS 124 BB 128 PS

@Goro What are your thoughts? Did I kill my chances?

It's not good. Apply broadly, especially targeting the newest schools. I can't recommend LUCOM.

Well, I screwed up kids. Old mcat score was 501 with breakdown:
125 CP 124 CARS 126 BB 126 PS

New mcat is 500:
125 CP 123 CARS 124 BB 128 PS

@Goro What are your thoughts? Did I kill my chances?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not good. Apply broadly, especially targeting the newest schools. I can't recommend LUCOM.
I know no-one really recommends carrib schools but should I throw a few of those in or do I have a realistic chance at at least 1 acceptance from a list of 26 schools?

I know no-one really recommends carrib schools but should I throw a few of those in or do I have a realistic chance at at least 1 acceptance from a list of 26 schools?
And also, do I have to report all MCAT scores? the new aacomas app will accept only one but I feel like I should include all...

I think that you have a realistic chance of getting IIs. Getting accepted is 100% on you.

Carib diploma mills? Sure, if you like the idea of being unemployed and deeply in debt. You're exactly the desparate mark they prey upon.

Goro, just out of curiosity, do you believe that even a 1 point drop markedly hurts the OP? My initial line of thinking is that well its 1 pt difference so it is not that big of a dealbreaker?

For DO schools no. For MD schools, it sure doesn't help. One is expected to improve (and significantly at that) with a second go- around.

Goro, just out of curiosity, do you believe that even a 1 point drop markedly hurts the OP? My initial line of thinking is that well its 1 pt difference so it is not that big of a dealbreaker?

Will be applying to around 25 schools....I'm hoping its not a deal-breaker here. I have some really excellent EC's, but even if it doesn't work out, I understand that this is a marathon and it may take longer than expected.

Appreciate the responses @Goro, your advice is always sound.

Will be applying to around 25 schools....I'm hoping its not a deal-breaker here. I have some really excellent EC's, but even if it doesn't work out, I understand that this is a marathon and it may take longer than expected.

Appreciate the responses @Goro, your advice is always sound.

Goro obviously knows metric tons more than I do, but I scour the WAMC like every other day. Your stats, I believe, suggest not only IIs (duh), but interviews at several places. Interview will be the deciding factor and with a solid PS can get you to the promised land. Maybe take a retake between new and september at a CC to ge tthe 3.28 to a 3.31ish? Certainly would help the cause!

Goro obviously knows metric tons more than I do, but I scour the WAMC like every other day. Your stats, I believe, suggest not only IIs (duh), but interviews at several places. Interview will be the deciding factor and with a solid PS can get you to the promised land. Maybe take a retake between new and september at a CC to ge tthe 3.28 to a 3.31ish? Certainly would help the cause!
Doc, I appreciate the optimism. I am finding it a bit hard to find some on my own. Although my MCAT and GPA are sub-par, I do have excellent EC's, and I'm hoping that will carry me through. I'll really have to prepare for the interviews and do my homework on each school that invites me for one.
I'll be sure to update with:
1) when I'm AACOMAS verified
2) when I get secondaries
3) If I get interviews
4) Any acceptances/rejections.

@Goro I have recently that a lot of your advice states that you cannot recommend LUCOM. What are some reasons? I am just curious because I am considering applying. Thanks for your feedback!

@Goro I have recently that a lot of your advice states that you cannot recommend LUCOM. What are some reasons? I am just curious because I am considering applying. Thanks for your feedback!
At this point, even if it's not recommended, if it'll give me a shot at becoming a physician I'll take it lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Man, I got accepted into an MD program with a 501 (123, 128, 124, 126), and a 3.55GPA. If you look on SDN too much, you're going to think you're a poor applicant, but that simply isn't the case. People that post here are mostly the people that are the highest achievers. It can really hurt your enthusiasm if you take everything here to heart.

Think about it this way. The average MCAT score for 75% of DO's is a 26 or 27. A 501 MCAT score is about a 26. Even with your 500, which is about a 25, you're still within the bounds of being accepted. Remember, an average is an AVERAGE. Just because a schools MCAT average is a 26, doesn't mean the cutoff is 26, it means that there are scores BELOW and ABOVE them.

With your ECs, as long as you get an Interview, I think your chances are outstanding. Just chill!

Not to diminish your acceptance by any means, but could I ask if you are URM? It seems you were accepted to University of Louisville which is on the lower scale of the MCAT. However, your comment about the MCAT scores and the SDN environment are spot on.

Not to diminish your acceptance by any means, but could I ask if you are URM? Also, it seems you were accepted to University of Louisville which is on the lower scale of the MCAT. I mean this only to context your success relative to OP's potential this upcoming cycle. However, your comment about the MCAT scores and the SDN environment are spot on.

Man, I got accepted into an MD program with a 501 (123, 128, 124, 126), and a 3.55GPA. If you look on SDN too much, you're going to think you're a poor applicant, but that simply isn't the case. People that post here are mostly the people that are the highest achievers. It can really hurt your enthusiasm if you take everything here to heart.

Think about it this way. The average MCAT score for 75% of DO's is a 26 or 27. A 501 MCAT score is about a 26. Even with your 500, which is about a 25, you're still within the bounds of being accepted. Remember, an average is an AVERAGE. Just because a schools MCAT average is a 26, doesn't mean the cutoff is 26, it means that there are scores BELOW and ABOVE them.

With your ECs, as long as you get an Interview, I think your chances are outstanding. Just chill!
What a kind thing to say. Thank you so much. I'm finding it hard to find a bit of optimism because of my stats, but your acceptance is inspirational. Wish there was a way to +1 Rep people on here.
Same goes for you, Doc. Appreciate the optimism.

@Alienman52 We kind of in the same boat.
My stats are 3.54c, 3.36s. with the 502 MCAT and not a lot of hours of EC. I believe your EC are very good.

I found that people on SDN are extremely well prepared. I always feel less competitive than most people up here. They have like thousands of ECs and extremely high stats.

Hope we both get in somewhere. Cross finger for u

Hey man thanks for the support! Good luck to you as well. To be honest, I think you'll be absolutely fine with those stats if you apply early and broadly haha

Hey man thanks for the support! Good luck to you as well. To be honest, I think you'll be absolutely fine with those stats if you apply early and broadly haha

Thanks man,

I guess we gonna have one hell of a cycle. Let's not stress out too much. I may have a little bit stats, but your ECs are way better than me, so believe in yourself too. :)

Is there any way I can edit the title of this thread to read:
DO Chances: 3.34 cGPA 3.29 sGPA 501 & 500 MCAT?

I know the subtle changes in GPA really don't mean too much but I think a retake of 500 is going to hurt me and it should be displayed in the title so people can get a better idea of my situation.

Is there any way I can edit the title of this thread to read:
DO Chances: 3.34 cGPA 3.29 sGPA 501 & 500 MCAT?

I know the subtle changes in GPA really don't mean too much but I think a retake of 500 is going to hurt me and it should be displayed in the title so people can get a better idea of my situation.
I believe u can click on the first post and change the title of the thread

I'll be the primary submitting on June 1st and will update with when I'm verified. Transcript is already on the way but I'm attributing the slow delivery to memorial day weekend. In the meantime can anyone offer any more advice?
Stats are 3.34c 3.29s 501 & 500 MCATS
500 is the newer one with breakdown of 125,123,124,128
501 is older with breakdown 125 124 126 126

I'd just like to update the thread by saying that I was verified today, 6/12/16, and I submitted 6/1/16. My transcripts didn't arrive until around 6/6/16 though.

Hopefully I'll be seeing secondaries soon!!!
:thumbup::clap:

So for my 500th post I'd like to share my acceptance with any other underdog pre-med out there who has been told by multiple sources to find another career and to stop pursuing your dream. Of course, it is always important to maintain a certain degree of realism when pursuing one's goals, but if your app can realistically be repaired, or has a realistic shot under the respective circumstances, then don't listen to the naysayers.

I sent my app to 31 schools, received 3 interviews, and was accepted at the first school I interviewed at. I then cancelled the other two interviews since I believed that the school I was accepted to was a better option than either of the other two (IMHO).

Good luck to any other future underdog pre-meds lurking this forum on some of the old threads. I remember countless nights trying to find a thread with similar stats to mine, hoping to see at least one of those people snag an acceptance. Unfortunately, none of those people ever updated the status of their apps upon being rejected/accepted so I never really got to compare their results with my future results. I just want to contribute to those people seeking a prediction of how they might fare in a future cycle. It's funny how easy SDN threads pop up on a google search with the right search criteria.

Good luck to all future underdogs. I hope to see you in the field one day!

• Love
Reactions: 24 users
So for my 500th post I'd like to share my acceptance with any other underdog pre-med out there who has been told by multiple sources to find another career and to stop pursuing your dream. Of course, it is always important to maintain a certain degree of realism when pursuing one's goals, but if your app can realistically be repaired, or has a realistic shot under the respective circumstances, then don't listen to the naysayers.

I sent my app to 31 schools, received 3 interviews, and was accepted at the first school I interviewed at. I then cancelled the other two interviews since I believed that the school I was accepted to was a better option than either of the other two (IMHO).

Good luck to any other future underdog pre-meds lurking this forum on some of the old threads. I remember countless nights trying to find a thread with similar stats to mine, hoping to see at least one of those people snag an acceptance. Unfortunately, none of those people ever updated the status of their apps upon being rejected/accepted so I never really got to compare their results with my future results. I just want to contribute to those people seeking a prediction of how they might fare in a future cycle. It's funny how easy SDN threads pop up on a google search with the right search criteria.

Good luck to all future underdogs. I hope to see you in the field one day!

Great news!!! I remember reading this post back in May and actually thought to myself, wow I finally found a thread that was similar to mine or very close to it lol. I am sure you will receive a couple more IIs, unless the one you are accepted to is your top choice?

Again, congrats!

Thanks for encouraging us! It's really appreciated. And congrats on the acceptance :)

Thanks for encouraging us! It's really appreciated. And congrats on the acceptance :)

Glad to help. I remember when I was in your spot. Definitely helps to see an example of what can be accomplished even when the odds aren't in your favor. Good luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

As a final update for the cycle:

Received 6 II. First one attended was accepted, then didnt attend 4 others, attended one more and was WL.

Last edited:
As a final update for the cycle:

Received 5 II. First one attended was accepted, then didnt attend 3 others, attended one more and was WL.

Nice job!! Just out off curiousity, what were the three schools you passed on?

Nice job!! Just out off curiousity, what were the three schools you passed on?
Thanks friend!

Can you let us know some of the schools that showed you love please?

II were as follows in chronological order:
1) BCOM
2) LUCOM
3) ACOM
4) NYCOM-NY
5) LECOM-SH
6) WCU-COM

First attended was ACOM, and was accepted.
Canceled BCOM, LUCOM, LECOM-SH as I was super happy with the school. Did not attend WCU-COM.

Attended NYCOM, (In state applicant) - waitlisted.

Super grateful to all the other schools for giving me II/a chance at being a doc. Just decided that I liked ACOM's super friendly atmosphere.

Last edited:
Have you for sure decided on ACOM? Solid work penguin man ;)

Have you for sure decided on ACOM? Solid work penguin man ;)
Decided to remain on WL for NYCOM, but as of now that's where I'm heading. So glad to be a part of the great community that is SDN!

Decided to remain on WL for NYCOM, but as of now that's where I'm heading. So glad to be a part of the great community that is SDN!
Just saw this and I hate to be the guy who revives an old post but just wanted to say congrats and thanks for updating it helps all of us pre med nervous wrecks especially since I almost have exact stats down to the state and school preferences which is creepy but nonetheless thanks and congrats

Reactions: 2 users
Just saw this and I hate to be the guy who revives an old post but just wanted to say congrats and thanks for updating it helps all of us pre med nervous wrecks especially since I almost have exact stats down to the state and school preferences which is creepy but nonetheless thanks and congrats

Don't feel bad haha that's what the thread is meant for! Good luck to you!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Your posts have given me hope. I have a 502, 3.7cGPA, 3.8sGPA, 4.0 grad. Was worried I wouldn't get any interviews with my MCAT. Good to know that the MCAT isn't determining peoples fate.

3.43 cGPA, 3.11sGPA. 500 MCAT. Currently in my first semester of SMP.
60 hours of shadowing.
EMT certification
150 hours of EMT clinical
1 DO letter
2 letters from science professors
1 letter from dean(in my current masters program)
Think I have a shot at the same schools?