Drexel DPMS 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Ya’ll. Congrats to everyone accepted. I am really happy for ya’ll. I’ve been waitlisted and still hopeful.

Quick question.....for those who’ve been accepted, what date do you have to reply by to confirm your place since, waitlisted people will most likely hear back after that date. TIA!!

I may have just missed it, but I didn’t see any concrete deadline for when we have to accept the offer. From stalking previous years DPMS threads it seems like several people usually get in from the waitlist so I’m rooting for you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@BubbleStitch Thanks! It means alot.

My dad was recently diagnosed with multiple myeloma and the other day he said that the only thing I want is for you to get accepted.....and I literally cried. So this opportunity really means a lot for me and my family. Really hoping I get accepted.

Reactions: 13 users
@BubbleStitch Thanks! It means alot.

My dad was recently diagnosed with multiple myeloma and the other day he said that the only thing I want is for you to get accepted.....and I literally cried. So this opportunity really means a lot for me and my family. Really hoping I get accepted.

Aw I was rooting for you even without knowing that. You’ve been my application cycle buddy from applying around the same time, stressing about the same silly things, getting our interview invites the same day, and interviewing around the same time. I got my acceptance and thought “cmon Hafiz!”

I can’t wait for you to report back that you’ve been accepted too, but until then I’ll be thinking positive thoughts for you and your family.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Aw I was rooting for you even without knowing that. You’ve been my application cycle buddy from applying around the same time, stressing about the same silly things, getting our interview invites the same day, and interviewing around the same time. I got my acceptance and thought “cmon Hafiz!”

I can’t wait for you to report back that you’ve been accepted too, but until then I’ll be thinking positive thoughts for you and your family.
Thank you so much @BubbleStitch....that made me feel alot better. I wish you the best for DPMS...and will be rooting for you all the way even if I don’t get accepted. Hope to share good news with you soon tho. :giggle:

Are we supposed to register for classes or just hang out until they communicate our next steps?

Hey y'all!

I wanted to relay some information.

1. For those accepted, here is the link to the DPMS 2020-2021 FaceBook Group. Please request to be admitted to the group. Just know that when you send your request, you will be prompted to give us the email address that you received your acceptance letter. This is for us to confirm your identity.

2. For those wondering about when to move. Please try to wait with this a little longer before deciding soon. The reason is since the school is still deciding what it will do in terms of the shuttle service it provides. With that in mind, the school hasn't decided when it would like y'all to be in Philly. Y'all will be notified as soon as a decision has been made. If you have already moved here/already live here, then there's nothing to worry about.

Are we supposed to register for classes or just hang out until they communicate our next steps?

All information about registration and when to do so will be sent to y'all in an email by Thelicia Hill. Until then, you don't have to worry. Enjoy the rest of your summer as much as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone,

Congratulations to those who got excepted!!!! You're one step closer to becoming a doctor, a very big step but one step none the less.

To those of you who did not receive an acceptance KEEP GOING! I was rejected multiple times before anyone gave me a chance. As long as you keep believing and striving, nothing can or will stop you from achieving your goal. You got this!

To those of you who were waitlisted, FUN FACT, so was I!!! There is hope! I was accepted from the waitlist, made contract, matriculated, and am even a TA for the incoming class this year!! That being said, keep believing and keep speaking it into existence.

I wish you all the best and good luck!

Reactions: 17 users
Hey everyone,

First of all, congratulations to everyone who has been accepted into the program. This is only the start of something great.

I was placed on the waitlist and I am hoping that I will be accepted very soon into the program and have the opportunity to join you guys on this journey. Pertaining to the waitlist, I was hoping either @SparklesDuWang or @Dr.Locs or anyone else could provide any information they have on the waitlist process. For example, how soon can we expect to hear some news or how many numbers of applicants get placed on the waitlist, etc? Any information will be greatly appreciated! You guys have been amazing at providing us with so much information and I truly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey everyone,

First of all, congratulations to everyone who has been accepted into the program. This is only the start of something great.

I was placed on the waitlist and I am hoping that I will be accepted very soon into the program and have the opportunity to join you guys on this journey. Pertaining to the waitlist, I was hoping either @SparklesDuWang or @Dr.Locs or anyone else could provide any information they have on the waitlist process. For example, how soon can we expect to hear some news or how many numbers of applicants get placed on the waitlist, etc? Any information will be greatly appreciated! You guys have been amazing at providing us with so much information and I truly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance!

This is a great question. I’ve always wondered this also. I will ask Dr. Núñez

As of this moment however, since we are not part of the admission committee, we don’t know the details of how many people are put on the waitlist. One of the TAs does work with the admission office, and they told me that there was no order to the waitlist. I would suspect that you would hear of your move from the waitlist the moment it happens. It is another waiting game unfortunately. If Drexel does waitlists like other med schools, it would be safe to say that you didn’t get moved from the waitlist by the time orientation starts on June 29th. Again, I don’t know for sure, but I’l ask for more detail. Since my colleague did experience the waitlist, maybe he can offer some more light on the subject. All in all, I wish you and everyone else the best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations to everyone accepted, I can’t wait to get to meet everyone of you. I received an email from Thelicia Hill saying all DPMS courses will be taught remotely. Does this mean that those out of towners like myself do not have to move? Or does the program still want us in philly?

Congratulations to everyone accepted, I can’t wait to get to meet everyone of you. I received an email from Thelicia Hill saying all DPMS courses will be taught remotely. Does this mean that those out of towners like myself do not have to move? Or does the program still want us in philly?
I’m wondering the same!

Reactions: 1 users
Oh man. I’m incredibly grateful for this opportunity but also nervous AF about exclusively online classes. Libraries in Texas have yet to reopen so I don’t really have a quiet place to study. I know tons of students are encountering these challenges... hopefully we can rise to occasion and rock our year from afar.

Reactions: 7 users
For anyone who is still planning on moving and looking for a roommate (female) please message me thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking the same. I’ll definitely be nervous if I have to study from home bc it’s very hard to focus :(

Hey guys, are you already applying for fafsa and stuff or do we wait until orientation on the 29th to start getting things in order ?

Has anyone off the waitlist heard back yet?

I was thinking about the idea of studying from home today. I think what I am most worried about is that I’m in a different time zone than the East Coast. So I’ll have to most likely wake up at the break of dawn for some of these classes. Anyone else from the West Coast???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys, are you already applying for fafsa and stuff or do we wait until orientation on the 29th to start getting things in order ?

Hi there! I'm one of the current TA's in the program. If you have confirmed your attendance, please go ahead and apply for FAFSA. Application to FAFSA covers only unsubsidized direct loan. If the unsubsidized direct loan isn't sufficient for the full cost of attendance, you are also encouraged to apply to the Grad PLUS loan (most students apply to this) via studentloans.gov

More information will be posted on the Facebook page tomorrow. Thank you for asking!

I actually think dpms was always online so I do believe we still need to be there. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

Goodmorning all!
I don't know much but what I do know :
It took me ~6 days to hear back after accepting my waitlist position. Remember though, I wasn't apply during a pandemic so things were a lot easier.

As for the rest, us TAs are trying to figure everything out and will tell you as soon as we know.

Hope this helps.

Just received an R ! So happy they don’t completely ghost you! I am sure God has great plans for me and everyone who got an R and this program wasn’t ideal for us Good luck to all you all in your journeys ahead! Thanks to all the help provided by the TAs!

Hey TA’s, have you already made the FB group and invited people or are you doing all that tomorrow?

Hey TA’s, have you already made the FB group and invited people or are you doing all that tomorrow?

SparklesDuWang posted the link to FB a little earlier in this thread if you look back

Goodmorning all!
I don't know much but what I do know :
It took me ~6 days to hear back after accepting my waitlist position. Remember though, I wasn't apply during a pandemic so things were a lot easier.

As for the rest, us TAs are trying to figure everything out and will tell you as soon as we know.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day's to keep us informed. You and all the TA's are like a calm breeze in the storm.

This is still up in the air. The school still hasn’t decided what it will do with school shuttles or even how classes are going to commence in the fall. Once they do decide we can tell you what their decision is. In the meantime, I do recommend looking, but I wouldn’t sign any leases or anything unless you need to. The TAs are compiling places to live as well as a general survival guide for Philly living that we will be giving out soon.

For anyone who is still planning on moving and looking for a roommate (female) please message me thanks! :)

Another good thing that we are doing is actually setting up a roommate finder google doc so that everyone can look at everyone’s lifestyle and habits. That will come out at the same time as the survival guide above.

Like my colleague said, please fill out your FAFSA form as well as your grad student PLUS loan application ASAP so that you can have money deposited in August.

I actually think dpms was always online so I do believe we still need to be there. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

It was always mostly online. It’s more of a hybrid course with certain aspects being in person. We will explain how it normally is in a Q&A that we will be conducting next week. The details for it will be posted on the facebook page soon!

Where do we submit our final transcripts to?

I sent my etranscripts to [email protected] and my paper transcripts to
Drexel University Application Processing
PO Box 34789
Philadelphia, PA 19101

Since we're going to be online for the foreseeable future, does anyone know if we still need to comply with the immunization record expectation?

I sent my etranscripts to [email protected] and my paper transcripts to
Drexel University Application Processing
PO Box 34789
Philadelphia, PA 19101

Since we're going to be online for the foreseeable future, does anyone know if we still need to comply with the immunization record expectation?

That’s a good question. I’m getting it done just in case !

Has anyone been taken off the waitlist yet? The programs starts less than 2 weeks. I just really want to know the decision rather than stay hanging.

@SparklesDuWang Do you know if they’re going to keep the class size to 50 students or drop it to 45 again after some students withdraw without accepting students from the waitlist. This waiting period feels like hell.

Has anyone been taken off the waitlist yet? The programs starts less than 2 weeks. I just really want to know the decision rather than stay hanging.

@SparklesDuWang Do you know if they’re going to keep the class size to 50 students or drop it to 45 again after some students withdraw without accepting students from the waitlist. This waiting period feels like hell.

Same! I'd love to know how many students have been accepted and have gone ahead with the acceptance. It seems they're taking a while with the waitlist.

I have no real way of confirming this, but I know how hard it is to wait with no idea of your chances so I thought I’d share. we just got an email that seems to be addressed to accepted students. There were 49 recipients. If my theory is correct, there might be no remaining spots currently open unless someone else rescinds their acceptance. I’m still holding out hope for everyone though!

Hey everyone,

Has anyone else who was placed on the waitlist heard anything?

This might be a really stupid question but, it's about the whole socially disadvantaged or underrepresented that I'm not completely sure about. My cGPA is a 3.4 and sGPA of a 3.2. I will be be taking my MCAT soon. I guess I'm your typical Indian kid applying to medical school and I wanted to know if it was worth applying.

This might be a really stupid question but, it's about the whole socially disadvantaged or underrepresented that I'm not completely sure about. My cGPA is a 3.4 and sGPA of a 3.2. I will be be taking my MCAT soon. I guess I'm your typical Indian kid applying to medical school and I wanted to know if it was worth applying.

Are you planning to apply next year? The application cycle is closed for this year, but to answer your question, AAMC determines which groups are underrepresented in medicine (think African American, Native American, etc).

As for disadvantaged, did you have to overcome social or economic barriers in the course of pursuing your education? Some people grew up impoverished, some people had to work to support their families while pursuing school, some may have faced sexual or religious persecution, etc. By no means is that list exhaustive. If you feel like there was a major social or economic impediment you had to overcome, you can write the essay explaining how you feel you qualify. Good luck!

Are you planning to apply next year? The application cycle is closed for this year, but to answer your question, AAMC determines which groups are underrepresented in medicine (think African American, Native American, etc).

As for disadvantaged, did you have to overcome social or economic barriers in the course of pursuing your education? Some people grew up impoverished, some people had to work to support their families while pursuing school, some may have faced sexual or religious persecution, etc. By no means is that list exhaustive. If you feel like there was a major social or economic impediment you had to overcome, you can write the essay explaining how you feel you qualify. Good luck!

I don't I really qualify or fall under any of those circumstances. I was thinking of applying the next cycle, but wasn't sure if I was what they were looking for. Thank you again!

Any updates yet? I mean classes start in a few days. They should let us know what’s going on. I’m tired of waiting.

@Bluespikes819 Honestly, I can’t believe the communication service we received. Also, I don’t think they’re going to let us know at this point and unfortunately it’s a silent rejection. I wish we did receive some type of formal rejection but even that is too much to hope for. Good Luck to us all. God has better plans.

I never heard back, but I was accepted into another medical school!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Just got an email response that two students withdrew their acceptances yesterday! There might still be hope y’all!!!

• Love