You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Game Thread: Meats's Reading List: WWhat I Read in 2019
Started by vetmedhead
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
******************************
Here Meats, I bought you a book
****************![]()
omg I think my friend bought me this for Christmas last year no joke
**************
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
The dead are taking over, the end is nigh!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
********
*********
Is this all you got for a birthday brag, fishcakes?The dead are taking over, the end is nigh!!
*********
Night closed, results pending
N8 Results
Something wicked this way comes on my bookshelf.
I awoke to utter bedlam which had even the formidable Cheese cowering beneath the bed.
Dead is
Goodreads description:
If you knew the date of your death, how would you live your life?
It's 1969 in New York City's Lower East Side, and word has spread of the arrival of a mystical woman, a traveling psychic who claims to be able to tell anyone the day they will die. The Gold children—four adolescents on the cusp of self-awareness—sneak out to hear their fortunes.
The prophecies inform their next five decades. Golden-boy Simon escapes to the West Coast, searching for love in '80s San Francisco; dreamy Klara becomes a Las Vegas magician, obsessed with blurring reality and fantasy; eldest son Daniel seeks security as an army doctor post-9/11; and bookish Varya throws herself into longevity research, where she tests the boundary between science and immortality.
A sweeping novel of remarkable ambition and depth, The Immortalists probes the line between destiny and choice, reality and illusion, this world and the next. It is a deeply moving testament to the power of story, the nature of belief, and the unrelenting pull of familial bonds.
Not satisfied with just this carnage, my good books turned bad turned on yet another.
Ripped to compostable shreds is
Goodreads description:
Everything is over for Simon Axler, the protagonist of Philip Roth's startling new book. One of the leading American stage actors of his generation, now in his 60s, he has lost his magic, his talent, and his assurance. His Falstaff and Peer Gynt and Vanya, all his great roles, "are melted into air, into thin air". When he goes on stage he feels like a lunatic and looks like an idiot. His confidence in his powers has drained away; he imagines people laughing at him; he can no longer pretend to be someone else. "Something fundamental has vanished." His wife has gone, his audience has left him, his agent can't persuade him to make a comeback.
Into this shattering account of inexplicable and terrifying self-evacuation bursts a counterplot of unusual erotic desire, a consolation for the bereft life so risky and aberrant that it points not toward comfort and gratification but to a yet darker and more shocking end. In this long day's journey into night, told with Roth's inimitable urgency, bravura, and gravity, all the ways that we persuade ourselves of our solidity, all our life's performances - talent, love, sex, hope, energy, reputation - are stripped off.
Following the dark meditations on mortality and endings in Everyman and Exit Ghost, and the bitterly ironic retrospective on youth and chance in Indignation, Roth has written another in his haunting group of late novels.
Meanwhile, another book hides among the plants on my windowsill, waiting for her time to shine....
RosterSomething wicked this way comes on my bookshelf.
I awoke to utter bedlam which had even the formidable Cheese cowering beneath the bed.
Dead is
@johnnaboo / @Miranda Senft , who was The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin, a VILLAGER who could close one lynch early so long as she posted "Lynch closed" on thread
Goodreads description:
If you knew the date of your death, how would you live your life?
It's 1969 in New York City's Lower East Side, and word has spread of the arrival of a mystical woman, a traveling psychic who claims to be able to tell anyone the day they will die. The Gold children—four adolescents on the cusp of self-awareness—sneak out to hear their fortunes.
The prophecies inform their next five decades. Golden-boy Simon escapes to the West Coast, searching for love in '80s San Francisco; dreamy Klara becomes a Las Vegas magician, obsessed with blurring reality and fantasy; eldest son Daniel seeks security as an army doctor post-9/11; and bookish Varya throws herself into longevity research, where she tests the boundary between science and immortality.
A sweeping novel of remarkable ambition and depth, The Immortalists probes the line between destiny and choice, reality and illusion, this world and the next. It is a deeply moving testament to the power of story, the nature of belief, and the unrelenting pull of familial bonds.
Ripped to compostable shreds is
@genny, who was The Humbling by Philip Roth, a VILLAGER who has a 50% chance of night actions not working on them and who could choose to die leave the game at any time.
Goodreads description:
Everything is over for Simon Axler, the protagonist of Philip Roth's startling new book. One of the leading American stage actors of his generation, now in his 60s, he has lost his magic, his talent, and his assurance. His Falstaff and Peer Gynt and Vanya, all his great roles, "are melted into air, into thin air". When he goes on stage he feels like a lunatic and looks like an idiot. His confidence in his powers has drained away; he imagines people laughing at him; he can no longer pretend to be someone else. "Something fundamental has vanished." His wife has gone, his audience has left him, his agent can't persuade him to make a comeback.
Into this shattering account of inexplicable and terrifying self-evacuation bursts a counterplot of unusual erotic desire, a consolation for the bereft life so risky and aberrant that it points not toward comfort and gratification but to a yet darker and more shocking end. In this long day's journey into night, told with Roth's inimitable urgency, bravura, and gravity, all the ways that we persuade ourselves of our solidity, all our life's performances - talent, love, sex, hope, energy, reputation - are stripped off.
Following the dark meditations on mortality and endings in Everyman and Exit Ghost, and the bitterly ironic retrospective on youth and chance in Indignation, Roth has written another in his haunting group of late novels.
@WildZoo , the CHAOTIC NEUTRAL, WINS!
WOLVES WIN!!!!
SOLD, GIVEN AWAY, LOST, OR DAMAGED
- sporty - Butter: A Rich History by Elaine Khosrova - Post Restrictor -
RESALE VALUE $0.50 doggo - There There by Tommy Orange - Popular - RESALE VALUE $0.50- now ???- killerleaf - If on a winter's night a traveler by Italo Calvino - Post Editor -
RESALE VALUE $0.50 - Navilly - Educated by Tara Westover - Lingerer -
RESALE VALUE $0.50 - dolphin - Pachinko by Min Jin Lee - Scapegoat -
RESALE VALUE $0.50 - Miz - All Systems Red: The Murderbot Diaries by Martha Wells - Hider -
RESALE VALUE $0.50 - Barks - Casino Royale by Ian Fleming - Silencer -
RESALE VALUE $1.00 - SAR - Snuff by Terry Pratchett - Ear Worm -
RESALE VALUE $0.50 - Coops - The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson - Vengeful -
RESALE VALUE $0.50 - BC - The Imp of the Mind by Lee Baer - Double Voter -
RESALE VALUE $0.50 - Wondering - Nine Pints by Rose George - PM Switcher -
RESALE VALUE $0.50 - Doggo - Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams - Vanilla -
RESALE VALUE $0.50 - MsP - The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton - Tracker -
RESALE VALUE $0.50 —>$0.25 - alissa - From Here to Eternity by Caitlin Doughty - Restless Spirit -
RESALE VALUE $0.50 - jboose - The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin - Executioner -
RESALE VALUE $0.50 - genny - The Humbling by Philip Roth - Despondent -
RESALE VALUE $0.50
- AM - The Fifth Season by NK Jemisin - Blocker -
RESALE VALUE $0.50 -> $0.25 - pippy/lawps - The Emperor of All Maladies by Siddhartha Mukherjee - 1x Death Avoidance -
RESALE VALUE $0.50 - Dubz - Circe by Madeline Miller - Dreaming God -
RESALE VALUE $0.50
That's all, folks! Superlatives incoming.
Can I see dead chat?
Well, MOOSE is wrong on me yet again.
I voted to lynch you post-mortem but then realized it was pointless. It was the principle though!Can I see dead chat?
*Sigh* just kill them both eh?
Well at least I called thatI've said before I think they both should go.

Hop right in here you cute lil noobSo now I want to know, @PippyPony were you actually trying to pocket me? Even if you werent, I trusted you either way. BigCats ensured me you weren’t but I’m now realizing that was a fatal mistake.
Last edited:
Nothin, she's a liarAlso what did pip actually seer?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
AM told her what WZ had told her once she was converted, so Pippy just... made up the item lmaoAlso what did pip actually seer?
at least we didn't get quartered!!!
dead chat pls

dead chat pls
I was yelling at myself in retrospect about dubz checking her night results because we've all been informed of everything and she got nothing!
Sssshhhhhh don't talk so loud!!!!AM told her what WZ had told her once she was converted, so Pippy just... made up the item lmao
Quiet in the library, you hooligans!
it was so warm and cozy. I felt so sure, so safeHop right in here you cute lil noob
![]()
Thank you to @Lawper for taking over for me and propagating my risky and nebulous lies... and pulling off a win I do not think I would have been able to achieve had I kept playing.

I really was losing it with school stuff and it was a huge relief.

I really was losing it with school stuff and it was a huge relief.
Thank you to @Lawper for taking over for me and propagating my risky and nebulous lies... and pulling off a win I do not think I would have been able to achieve had I kept playing.
I really was losing it with school stuff and it was a huge relief.
A lot of your posts served as a pretty crucial reference to work with, so parking the vote on WZ was pretty smooth and justified (even though unfortunately it didn't materialize fully in the end).
You did good, Coop -- sorry I made your life kinda miserable for a bit. I was trying to replicate my village idiocy lolI was yelling at myself in retrospect about dubz checking her night results because we've all been informed of everything and she got nothing!
Superlatives
- Most Supportive and Amazing and Wonderful Mod Team - @kaydubs and @cubsrule4e



thank you for encouraging my madness and also helping me keep track of it +/- occasionally rein it in. You're both invaluable! - Most Paranoid Player - @PippyPony Highlights include: referring to all players as numbers in the wolf chat because she thought I included my fake claim!banshee role in the game, thinking she got caught by a PM pair seer (which I'm pretty sure was not a thing until she invented it), becoming convinced there was a chaos who was going to end all of wolf chat, and something involving my cat that I can't 100% remember but I can assure you was fabulously paranoid
- Most Popular - @Coopah & @SARdoghandler , who had 4 and 3 actions performed on them in a single night, respectively
- Biggest Ability Cluster - D2, where the village blocker blocked the village tracker from tracking the wolf kill
- Biggest Mechanics Cluster - The wolf who would die in the event of a tie dying in a tie caused by the villager who could close lynches early, on the same night that the wolf had an item to switch their role so they wouldn't die in a tie anymore... the same item that gave them the role that would cause them to die in a tie in the first place. Yikes
- Best On-Thread Scheming Cluster - @PippyPony , the wolf trying to get neutral dubz lynched, @WildZoo , the neutral half-heartedly trying to get herself lynched to buy village more time, and @Coopah , the villager trying to get herself lynched so she could kill a player on her lynch
- Most Inspiring Fauxjo and 4D Chess Game - @Coopah
- Best PM Titles - @genny Favorites include "Reading Rainbow", "BWWooks", "WWeading WWist", and "LibWWary". Runner Up to @SARdoghandler for the enigmatic "We Are Books"
- Best Night Target Choices That Got Ruined - @Ms Procrastinator , who submitted to track wolves two nights out of her seven in this game - one blocked by the village blocker and the other blocked by being killed that night
- Most Enthusiastic - @Doggo Labs , who responded in about two seconds flat when I asked her if she'd be cool with being rezzed after having been dead for like two days in the game 😀
- Best Creativity - @Ms Procrastinator who was the only one who tried to use my shiggles book review item to try to sneakily figure out info about other players & @killerleaf , for her wonderful additions to night write up
- Best Reads - @WonderingStudent . Also huge commendation for trying to use the PM switching role strategically!
- Most Ill-Fated Item - The Library Card. Like three players tried to switch to a book that would have given them a 1x day vig shot, and all tragically died the same day/night they received the item. RIP
- Most Entertaining Wolf Chat Exchange -sorry my hand is wet. one secuse your other hand
- Best Sports - The Wolf Team (@dolphin106258 @BigCats @PippyPony @Lawper @Animal Midwife ) for participating in the collective trauma that was wolfing in this game, with only minimal meltdowns and rage quits. You've all officially earned a badge for successfully completing a Wolf Sweep while also still having wolves die in the game 🤣
Last edited:
It's okay, I was in there with you for a little while after pippy was one of two people who didn't lynch me 😛it was so warm and cozy. I felt so sure, so safe![]()
Yah speaking of that -- @alissa14 I won that bet, you dropped Dubz for Ms P as soon as I peaced out lmao(even though unfortunately it didn't materialize fully in the end).
Oh, and I wasn't lying about all those memes that I said I put into mod chat
wait so two questions:
Not satisfied with just this carnage, my good books turned bad turned on yet another.
Ripped to compostable shreds is@genny, who was The Humbling by Philip Roth, a VILLAGER who has a 50% chance of night actions not working on them and who could choose to die leave the game at any time.Meanwhile, another book hides among the plants on my windowsill, waiting for her time to shine....![]()
Goodreads description:
Everything is over for Simon Axler, the protagonist of Philip Roth's startling new book. One of the leading American stage actors of his generation, now in his 60s, he has lost his magic, his talent, and his assurance. His Falstaff and Peer Gynt and Vanya, all his great roles, "are melted into air, into thin air". When he goes on stage he feels like a lunatic and looks like an idiot. His confidence in his powers has drained away; he imagines people laughing at him; he can no longer pretend to be someone else. "Something fundamental has vanished." His wife has gone, his audience has left him, his agent can't persuade him to make a comeback.
Into this shattering account of inexplicable and terrifying self-evacuation bursts a counterplot of unusual erotic desire, a consolation for the bereft life so risky and aberrant that it points not toward comfort and gratification but to a yet darker and more shocking end. In this long day's journey into night, told with Roth's inimitable urgency, bravura, and gravity, all the ways that we persuade ourselves of our solidity, all our life's performances - talent, love, sex, hope, energy, reputation - are stripped off.
Following the dark meditations on mortality and endings in Everyman and Exit Ghost, and the bitterly ironic retrospective on youth and chance in Indignation, Roth has written another in his haunting group of late novels.
1. so night actions work 50% on genny. but genny can choose to die and leave the game? like i'm not really following the leaving part. it's like she can basically yeet herself out of the game and confuse everyone as to how she died?
2. why was the night action necessary if village mechanically lost?
Oh, and but of course, the spreadsheet
I feel so flattered. I was honestly so mad my 4D chess got ruined so I'm glad it worked out in the end. The hardest part was finding something subtle enough that the wolves didn't immediately know I was the bomb, but that failed because I'm not that creative. So I just had to get lynched regardless and get my wolf kill!Superlatives
Most Supportive and Amazing and Wonderful Mod Team - @kaydubs and @cubsrule4ethank you for encouraging my madness and also helping me keep track of it +/- occasionally rein it in. You're both invaluable!
Most Paranoid Player - @PippyPony Highlights include: referring to all players as numbers in the wolf chat because she thought I included my fake claim!banshee role in the game, thinking she got caught by a PM pair seer (which I'm pretty sure was not a thing until she invented it), becoming convinced there was a chaos who was going to end all of wolf chat, and something involving my cat that I can't 100% remember but I can assure you was fabulously paranoid Most Popular - @Coopah & @SARdoghandler , who had 4 and 3 actions performed on them in a single night, respectively Biggest Ability Cluster - D2, where the village blocker blocked the village tracker from tracking the wolf kill
Biggest Mechanics Cluster - The wolf who would die in the event of a tie dying in a tie caused by the villager who could close lynches early, on the same night that the wolf had an item to switch their role so they wouldn't die in a tie anymore... the same item that gave them the role that would cause them to die in a tie in the first place. Yikes Best On-Thread Scheming Cluster - @PippyPony , the wolf trying to get neutral dubz lynched, @WildZoo , the neutral half-heartedly trying to get herself lynched to buy village more time, and @Coopah , the villager trying to get herself lynched so she could kill a player on her lynch Most Inspiring Fauxjo and 4D Chess Game - @Coopah Best PM Titles - @genny Favorites include "Reading Rainbow", "BWWooks", "WWeading WWist", and "LibWWary". Runner Up to @SARdoghandler for the enigmatic "We Are Books" Best Night Target Choices That Got Ruined - @Ms Procrastinator , who submitted to track wolves two nights out of her seven in this game - one blocked by the village blocker and the other blocked by being killed that night Most Enthusiastic - @Doggo Labs , who responded in about two seconds flat when I asked her if she'd be cool with being rezzed after having been dead for like two days in the game 😀
Best Creativity - @Ms Procrastinator who was the only one who tried to use my shiggles book review item to try to sneakily figure out info about other players & @killerleaf , for her wonderful additions to night write up Best Reads - @WonderingStudent . Also huge commendation for trying to use the PM switching role strategically! Most Ill-Fated Item - The Library Card. Like three players tried to switch to a book that would have given them a 1x day vig shot, and all tragically died the same day/night they received the item. RIP Most Entertaining Wolf Chat Exchange - Best Sports - The Wolf Team (@dolphin106258 @BigCats @PippyPony @Lawper @Animal Midwife ) for participating in the collective trauma that was wolfing in this game, with only minimal meltdowns and rage quits. You've all officially earned a badge for successfully completing a Wolf Sweep while also still having wolves die in the game 🤣
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. I didn't want to add further clarification because it was too long, but if genny chose to leave during a day cycle then she would have triggered the option for a mourning vote instead, where village would not continue with their current lynch. I was imagining it being useful to sacrifice if, say, she knew an important village PR was going down that day.wait so two questions:
1. so night actions work 50% on genny. but genny can choose to die and leave the game? like i'm not really following the leaving part. it's like she can basically yeet herself out of the game and confuse everyone as to how she died?
2. why was the night action necessary if village mechanically lost?
2. Math is hard and also I like ~~~mod flair~~~
We were real mad about that explosion because we thought AM full-cycle blocked you.So I just had to get lynched regardless and get my wolf kill!![]()
Lulz
What's worse is that wolves blocked you and were certain your bomb wouldn't work.I feel so flattered. I was honestly so mad my 4D chess got ruined so I'm glad it worked out in the end. The hardest part was finding something subtle enough that the wolves didn't immediately know I was the bomb, but that failed because I'm not that creative. So I just had to get lynched regardless and get my wolf kill!![]()
Unfortunately, per the spreadsheet your role is considered passively triggered (by lynch, aka something technically out of your control has to happen for your ability to be usable), and the blocking only worked on actively triggered roles, so it didn't apply
Passive roles my dude, you can't block a mason from being what they are and you can't block a bomb from explodingWe were real mad about that explosion because we thought AM full-cycle blocked you.
Lulz
I mean, you probably could do either or both depending on the mod. Perhaps in a future bastard role game of mine...Passive roles my dude, you can't block a mason from being what they are and you can't block a bomb from exploding

Wait what betYah speaking of that -- @alissa14 I won that bet, you dropped Dubz for Ms P as soon as I peaced out lmao
I super wish I could've gotten you with that because I knew not one would ever lynch you. But then I got told about your death avoidance and it wouldn't have mattered because you would've just talked your way out of that tooWe were real mad about that explosion because we thought AM full-cycle blocked you.
Lulz

Please no one retroactively tell the wolves in 90s about this conventionPassive roles my dude, you can't block a mason from being what they are and you can't block a bomb from exploding

So @vetmedhead was I right that there basically wasn't a way to win days ago? I mean with the death avoidance and all?
wait @vetmedhead how deathproof was WZ? is it 1x or none or more?
Can I see dead chat?
@kaydubs @cubsrule4e when y'all get the chance can you pop them in there?at least we didn't get quartered!!!
dead chat pls![]()
Or anybody in dead chat with the powaaaa
her own buttAlso what did pip actually seer?
Sorry about my ~f O R e v E r t U N n E L~ @WildZoo
😉
😉
I'm still very confused about who I could block during the day cycle.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You would have almost certainly triggered a conversion for the wolves (90% chance), and sporty would have rezzed as vanilla. Although you likely wouldn't have rezzed sporty specifically, as she had asked us not to be rezzed in this game and we were right about to tell you that and ask you to pick a different player when night was cancelled@vetmedhead so what would have happened if I had successfully rezzed sport ponies?
there were some alternate realities where wolves could have killed off the 3P, then targeted genny and RNG failed, which would have bought village more time to be successful in lynching wolves and potentially not have lost. But wolves would have basically had to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory to do so and village would have had to shape up their wolf hunting game considerably.So @vetmedhead was I right that there basically wasn't a way to win days ago? I mean with the death avoidance and all?
That's also why I didn't give a LyLo notification per se today, because y'all could have lynched Dubz and then wolves could have RNG failed at killing genny and end up with another lynch cycle to go through to win.
I dunno, this game was complicated and it hurt my head lol
She was only deathproof during the night cycle where she used her Pigs & Wine ability and the day immediately following. Nothing permanentwait @vetmedhead how deathproof was WZ? is it 1x or none or more?
Oh also, sorry for killing you @Doggo Labs . I suggested it pretty much so I could say the wolves were jerks
Also some other reason that honestly I'm kind of blanking on right now, probably having something to do with setting people up.
Also some other reason that honestly I'm kind of blanking on right now, probably having something to do with setting people up.
Your block would have worked against jboo's lynch close, Dubz's unlynchability following her Pigs & Wine (although actually you would have just blocked the Pigs & Wine altogether), genny's ability to leave the game during a day cycle, and the 1 shot day vig (had it been picked up off the shelf and brought into the game). You also would have blocked any item useI'm still very confused about who I could block during the day cycle.
Very anti-village... 🙁Your block would have worked against jboo's lynch close, Dubz's unlynchability following her Pigs & Wine (although actually you would have just blocked the Pigs & Wine altogether), genny's ability to leave the game during a day cycle, and the 1 shot day vig (had it been picked up off the shelf and brought into the game). You also would have blocked any item use
PssssstVery anti-village... 🙁
I have some news for you on that front.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 7K
- Views
- 124K