help me choose - iowa vs. toledo

Started by woogle1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

woogle1

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i'm in-state at iowa.

match lists are basically the same as far as I could tell.

i've been volunteering ER at iowa, and i think it's slow and rural.

i would gain residency at toledo after one year.

i'd rather live in a bigger city. i have been living in iowa for a year and I feel like my life has slowed down to the pace of the corn growing outside the window of my apartment.
 
Where in Iowa are you living? Iowa City isn't too bad. At least they have sports and a good bar scene.

I think most would argue Iowa has a better reputation, but to go to wherever is cheaper...
 
I don't think either school is going to give you much of an advantage in terms of a fast-paced lifestyle, Toledo is about as exciting (maybe less) as Iowa City, from what I can tell, though I've not been to the latter (I guess the one advantage to Toledo is Cedar Point, haha). And Iowa definitely has a better reputation. To go to a better school for cheaper, definitely choose Iowa.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yeah that all makes sense.

Not sure if I can trust SDN for an un-biased opinion.

but getting an opinion is still better than no opinion.

I don't like bars or sports, but the cheapness and the rep is making iowa the winner.

I'll check this thread again tomorrow before i withdraw from toledo if anybody wants to weigh in.
 
I'm from Toledo and let me be the first to say, Toledo is not the place you're going to find a lively big city experience. Sure, there are bars, restaurants, malls, etc but nothing worth spending a bunch of extra money to get. The only benefit is being moderately close to cooler places. Personally I have enjoyed my experiences being around the UT med school but if I were you, I would probably save the money and stay in Iowa.
 
I'm from Toledo and let me be the first to say, Toledo is not the place you're going to find a lively big city experience. Sure, there are bars, restaurants, malls, etc but nothing worth spending a bunch of extra money to get. The only benefit is being moderately close to cooler places. Personally I have enjoyed my experiences being around the UT med school but if I were you, I would probably save the money and stay in Iowa.

Ann Arbor? Detroit?
 
Bars and sports have their place. A bunch of drunk 19 year olds acting like idiots can be a little culturally limiting when that is the prospect of how I am going to spend the rest of my twenties.

I re-visited toledo, surrounding detroit is some NICE neighborhoods, as nice as anywhere in the country, in my opinion. and opera, professional sports, and probably SOMEWHAT more of a community of yuppies (like I am at this point, being in my later twenties)

I figured out the red socks were in town at 6:30. Arrived at the stadium at 7:30. Parking was a breeze, the stadium was really nice, and I got a cheap ticket no problem.

I am also interested in learning windsurfing.

So whats the verdict?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.