help me rank... (All Rank posts here)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah compared to last year's interview rounds it seems as if this year's interview day was organized a lot better. I still thought that they didn't really show the true potential of the program. I also had them ranked outside the top 3 but thinking about it now and it is climbing up. I did a rotation at Harborview and it was awesome. I think UW's Harborview program really is the unique part of the program, that and the MedOne experience. The interns are busy during the first year but they do keep w/in the 80hour work limit now they are under review (this year is their final probation review according to the faculty there). The attendings I worked with at Harborview were great at teaching and really loved it. I didn't interview at UPenn but I did interview at UChicago and Wash U. I think UChicago and UW are similar in terms of autonomy but you definitely get more of a flavour with UW as they have a bigger transplant population and take care of the Northwest region (Chicago is big and has a LOT of hospitals). I really liked Wash U (definitely surprised me) it is more formal than UW and it has a stronger Cards department. I would say they are equal for GI but UW has a better Pul/CC and ID dept. One concern that I did have is that UW is coming out with a lot of new ideas at the same time (Mentorship and Research program) so I do get the guinea pig feel. Wash U and UChicago already have tried and tested successful programs. Having said that Dr. Steinberg is so enthusiastic and great that I feel he is a) behind you as a resident 100% and b) he seems like someone who can get you through the road bumps.

My ranking of them thus far is UW>Wash U>Uof Chicago

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, what was everyone else's impression of UW this year? I loved it, but there were no interns around on my interview day b/c they had a arthrocentesis workshop. At first it was pretty low down on my list but is no rising up the list and competing for the top spot, mainly based on the level of clinical exposure, city, pt population, and reputation. Also, I really liked Dr. Steinberg.
What are you guy's impressions? Especially compared to UofChicago, NW, and Penn.
Thanks! Good luck to everyone, 16 days left!

I think UW is probably the "most improved" program as far as what I had heard about it from last year and what they brought this year. Combining posts, (UW vs. UoC vs. NWU vs. Penn) I feel that UW=Penn>UoC>NWU as far as reputation/fellowship potential. I think UW and UoC have a very similar feel as far as autonomy and hardworking residents. NWU has the most academic support, the residents didnt seem overtaxed, and had best location of the group (Seattle is really nice but the hospitals are far apart, there's no mass transit, traffic sucks, and you do pay for your own parking though).

I dont think you can go wrong with any of those schools though, esp as far as fellowships, since all the schools you named have very regional fellowship matching-- so a more important question is where can you see yourself spending possibly 6 years?

I think UW is probably the "most improved" program as far as what I had heard about it from last year and what they brought this year. Combining posts, (UW vs. UoC vs. NWU vs. Penn) I feel that UW=Penn>UoC>NWU as far as reputation/fellowship potential. I think UW and UoC have a very similar feel as far as autonomy and hardworking residents. NWU has the most academic support, the residents didnt seem overtaxed, and had best location of the group (Seattle is really nice but the hospitals are far apart, there's no mass transit, traffic sucks, and you do pay for your own parking though).

I dont think you can go wrong with any of those schools though, esp as far as fellowships, since all the schools you named have very regional fellowship matching-- so a more important question is where can you see yourself spending possibly 6 years?

Yeah the parking at UW sux but fair, you are considered a state employee so you can't get free parking. As to transportation I actually think the transit system in Seattle is great. There is a shuttle from UW to Harborview and VA. I usually finished after the shuttle service stopped but catching a bus was pretty easy and safe. The VA though is a little further away though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, USIMG here. The institutions I am deciding between aren't as high powered as many in this thread, but I was hoping for some ranking advice/thoughts (I'm interested in heme/onc by the way). Thanks so much in advance!

Cleveland Clinic
Mayo-Rochester
OHSU
Georgetown
George Washington
Northwestern-Evanston
SLU

Hey guys, USIMG here. The institutions I am deciding between aren't as high powered as many in this thread, but I was hoping for some ranking advice/thoughts (I'm interested in heme/onc by the way). Thanks so much in advance!

Cleveland Clinic
Mayo-Rochester
OHSU
Georgetown
George Washington
Northwestern-Evanston
SLU
  1. Mayo-Rochester
  2. Georgetown
  3. OHSU
  4. SLU
  5. George Washington
  6. Northwestern-Evanston
  7. Cleveland Clinic

why is CCF so low on your list DJ?

i'm basing this on what i've heard from other people since i didn't apply there. i've heard the hospital is run by the fellows and is not a great place to be an IM resident.

ohsu/ mayo rochester
slu
georgetown/ gw/ ccf

i don't know where northwestern-evanston falls among these
thanks dj for info on nw

Cleveland Clinic
Mayo-Rochester
OHSU
Georgetown
George Washington
Northwestern-Evanston
SLU

ohsu/ mayo rochester/ northwestern
slu
georgetown/ gw/ ccf

northwestern evanston is a community program affiliated with northwestern. it's not the "big name" northwestern you're thinking of.

1) BID
2) MGH
3) Yale-NH
4) MSSM (NYC)
5) JHU-Bayview
6) AECOM-Monte
7) Yale-NH (PC)
8) NW
9) AECOM-BI
10) AECOM-LIJ
11) Univ of Rochester
12) RUSH
13) BU
14) Wayne State

SO I am SURE about my #1 and #2 spots, but am uncertain about the rest! especailly #3-#8 --> HELP! PLEASE.....

thanks
Ocean11

1) BID
2) MGH
3) Yale-NH
4) MSSM (NYC)
5) JHU-Bayview
6) AECOM-Monte
7) Yale-NH (PC)
8) NW
9) AECOM-BI
10) AECOM-LIJ
11) Univ of Rochester
12) RUSH
13) BU
14) Wayne State

SO I am SURE about my #1 and #2 spots, but am uncertain about the rest! especailly #3-#8 --> HELP! PLEASE.....

thanks
Ocean11

Not sure if you have any strong personal reasons for wanting to be on the East Coast, but I would put NW higher on that list b/t #3-#8. Good reputation, nice city, super happy residents, decent fellowship placement . . .

Going nuts here. I love Miami but think it may be time for a change...but also would be fine with staying if need be (hence why I am gonna rank it). Fell in love with NYC but really agonizing with the decision over which place to rank. Moderate interest in pursuing GI. Thanks for your help. Any additional explanations of your choices would be much appreciated.

Mt. Sinai vs NYU
vs.
UM-Jackson Memorial / Northwestern / Emory

if you're interested in GI, mt. sinai on top hands down. GI was invented there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Going nuts here. I love Miami but think it may be time for a change...but also would be fine with staying if need be (hence why I am gonna rank it). Fell in love with NYC but really agonizing with the decision over which place to rank. Moderate interest in pursuing GI. Thanks for your help. Any additional explanations of your choices would be much appreciated.

Mt. Sinai vs NYU
vs.
UM-Jackson Memorial / Northwestern / Emory

i don't know if you got the fellowship match list but it was VERY impressive. many going to BGW and MGH and other prestigious places. After all, as another poster mentioned, it is the birthplace. In fact, on my interview day, the R2 who gave us the tour (she was goin into GI) made it a point to take us and show us huge paintings of Dr Chron's.

What do you guys think about:
(interested in heme/onc)

UWashington
Duke
Northwestern
Cornell

cornell with its connections to msk makes the most sense...but going to duke or u wash isn't going to hurt your chances to get in anywhere!

(interested in heme/onc)

UWashington
Duke
Northwestern
Cornell

in order of coolness of location (most important thing to me)...
  1. cornell
  2. northwestern
  3. uwashington
  4. duke

agree with your order as is. uw-seattle is the mecca for hematopoietic cell transplantation. ?maybe cornell ahead of nw, depends on your geographic preference

(interested in heme/onc)

UWashington
Duke
Northwestern
Cornell

come on people, what do u guys think. Cornell vs. UCLA, leaving city aside. Cards bound.

What is everyone's thoughts on the UW Primary Care- Seattle program? I really want to end up at UW and have a fairly strong interest in Policy/Disparities work. However, there is still a slight chance I will want to do fellowship in either Cards or Pulm/CC. Should I rank the PC program or would it kill my chances of fellowship? What is your opinion of the PC program? (UW residents and students especially) Thanks

What is everyone's thoughts on the UW Primary Care- Seattle program? I really want to end up at UW and have a fairly strong interest in Policy/Disparities work. However, there is still a slight chance I will want to do fellowship in either Cards or Pulm/CC. Should I rank the PC program or would it kill my chances of fellowship? What is your opinion of the PC program? (UW residents and students especially) Thanks

I really liked UW and they are probably the best overall medicine program IMHO (in other words, I think they have a better balance of primary care and specialty training than every other program in the country-- harvard, hopkins included. I think UCSF is definitely a close #2).

While there are several programs that are more prestigious because of their fellowship strengths, I think overall for primary care (and for Pulm/CC) UW cant' be beat.

I'm totally stuck!
1. Univ of Rochester
2. Baystate/ Tufts Univ
3. Christiana Care
4. Univ of Maryland
5. Medical College of VA (VCU)

I'm totally stuck!
1. Univ of Rochester
2. Baystate/ Tufts Univ
3. Christiana Care
4. Univ of Maryland
5. Medical College of VA (VCU)

I think I would go with Tufts first due to location.... that being said, U of Rochester is a great program, but I didn't like the area too much. So ask yourself "where would I rather live?"

Ocean11

In alphabetical order

AE - Monte
Case/UH
Cedars-Sinai
Colorado
Dartmouth
Michigan
NYU
Pitt
Rush
Stanford
Tufts NEMC
Yale

In particular I'm not sure how to rank D,Case,AE,Pitt, or Cedars...? So different from one another and in vastly different parts of the country!!

Hello,
I'm having some serious trouble deciding my rank list. I am from the west coast originally and had thought that I wanted to return (I go to an east coast med school), but I wasn't as impressed with some of the west coast programs as I thought I would be. My options are:

UWashington
OHSU
UCSF
Stanford
UCLA
Columbia
Cornell
Mt Sinai
Penn
MGH
Brigham

I think my top choices right now are UCSF, Stanford, BW, MGH, and Penn. Everyone says UCSF, BW, and MGH are among the "top tier," but I also really loved my interview day at Penn. Any thoughts as to how all of these compare??

Thanks so much!

Baystate is in Springfield MA not boston... the PD is really nice... I'm so confused.

mildred,
these are the best programs in the country. you will receive excellent training at any of these programs. go where you would like to live and where you felt most comfortable. do you want to live in seattle, portland, sf, boston, or ny?

UWashington
OHSU
UCSF
Stanford
UCLA
Columbia
Cornell
Mt Sinai
Penn
MGH
Brigham

I think my top choices right now are UCSF, Stanford, BW, MGH, and Penn. Everyone says UCSF, BW, and MGH are among the "top tier," but I also really loved my interview day at Penn. Any thoughts as to how all of these compare??

Thanks so much!

Hello,
I'm having some serious trouble deciding my rank list. I am from the west coast originally and had thought that I wanted to return (I go to an east coast med school), but I wasn't as impressed with some of the west coast programs as I thought I would be. My options are:

UWashington
OHSU
UCSF
Stanford
UCLA
Columbia
Cornell
Mt Sinai
Penn
MGH
Brigham

Thanks so much!
UCSF, BW, and MGH are indeed on the top tier, but Penn is but a split step behind in reputation. Coming from Penn will not limit your fellowship opportunities, and you will certainly receive equally strong training in all of the abovementioned programs. If you find yourself gravitating toward Penn, I would take that as a sign and run with it.

I don't think you could go wrong with OSU. I grew up in Columbus; the only reason I'm not ranking them #1 is because I've lived in ohio 26 years and its time for a change. BUT, that said, Columbus has a lot going for it, like...
1-it is the 15th largest city in the country; it is just spread out (large suburbs)
2-suburbs: if you have a family/kids, there are great public schools (Dublin, Westerville, Worthington, Upper Arlington)
3-malls: incredible malls. Les Wexner, who is the owner of many clothing stores, lives in Columbus and has really built up some of the malls there.
4-Sports - professional sports: hockey only (columbus bluejackets). Big college town - especially with buckeye football, besides the fact we can't win national championships.
5-restaurants: very very very wide spectrum of restaurants around the city - all very good, you just have to find them

Hi Guys,

I am haveing an extremely tough time deciding between my top 4-5 choices. I dont have a preference for location and I am interested in pursuing a cardiology fellowship later. Found most of these programs to be similar in many ways.

Univ of Louisville
Univ of Oklahoma
SUNY downstate
Univ of Connecticut
UMDNJ Camden

Please guys any input is appeciated!

for what it's worth, i'm an intern currently at one of these "top" programs, and I would urge you to go to Penn because it's the place that most appeals to you. I went to the place that clicked for me (and fortunately there's no real difference in quality between any of these places), and I can tell you that when you're at this point in intern year and you're tired and losing a little perspective at times, the thing that matters most is that you're at the place where you best relate to your colleagues, that you have a PD you click with and feel like you can depend on and that you feel totally comfortable about the place that you'll be spending the majority of your waking hours. sorry if that's preachy. congrats on all the great choices!

Hi guys!
IVs are over and now another problem, how make my ROL?!!!
I wanna do Cards and I appreciate if you rank my programs for me, I know it is a personal decision that where I really liked, but as an IMG and just focusing on Cards how you rank them:

UCSD
Baylor- Houston
Penn state-Hershey
USC
Loma linda
LSU-New Orleans
Washington Hospital Center
Cook County
Brown University/Memorial hospital

Thanks

I am looking at some of the same programs and the way I would break them up would be for s.cal only...

1. UCSD
2. Loma Linda
3. USC

Yale NH Vs. MSSM Vs. JHU-Bayview

How would you rank?!? HELP.......

any input on the following:

Scripps Green
Harbor UCLA
Olive View Medical Center
Kaiser San Francisco
University of Michigan
Cedars Sinai
UC San Diego

Not particularly set on fellowship (possibly endocrinology), would hope to be in academics (clinical teaching, not basic science), maybe do something with public health...

Thank you!

Scripps Green
Harbor UCLA
Kaiser San Francisco
University of Michigan
Cedars Sinai
UC San Diego

Not particularly set on fellowship (possibly endocrinology), would hope to be in academics (clinical teaching, not basic science), maybe do something with public health...

Thank you!

Of the ones on your list that I am ranking, here is my order:

UCSD
Harbor
Olive View
Kaiser
Scripps Green

I don't know much about Michigan to compare it to these. Based on what I know about Cedars, I would probably stick it between Olive View and Kaiser on my list.

Scripps Green
Harbor UCLA
Kaiser San Francisco
University of Michigan
Cedars Sinai
UC San Diego

Thank you!

1. michigan
  2. ucsd
  3. cedars
  4. olive view
  5. harbor
  6. scripps green
  7. kaiser

michigan/ ucsd depending on location preference
harbor
cedars
olive view
scripps
kaiser sf

Scripps Green
Harbor UCLA
Kaiser San Francisco
University of Michigan
Cedars Sinai
UC San Diego

Thank you!

Tulane: One of the best PDs in the country, hands down. Known nationally as a dynamic teacher and resident advocate. New Orleans has its own challenges and is not for the faint of heart, but you WILL become a great internist and get a fellowship if you go to this program

OSU: Also interviewed here, really liked it, felt like there were too many married people there (I'm not married). If I had a wife and kids this place would be very high on my list because Columbus seemed like a very livable city and had that cool college town vibe. Reputation seemed decent, fellowship spots seemed plentiful.

I'd say if you want an adventure and a very cool city, go to Tulane
If you are more of a suburban, midwest person, go to OSU

How would you all rank the following?

Yale (main program)
Yale(Primary Care)
AE Montefiore
Penn State (Hershey)
GW
Georgetown
U Maryland
JHU Bayview
UVA
MCV

Yale (main program)
Yale(Primary Care)
AE Montefiore
Penn State (Hershey)
GW
Georgetown
U Maryland
JHU Bayview
UVA
MCV

1. Yale (main program)
  2. Yale(Primary Care)
  3. JHU Bayview
  4. AE Montefiore
  5. Georgetown
  6. UVA
  7. U Maryland
  8. GW
  9. Penn State (Hershey)
  10. MCV
  11. Washington Hospital Center

Yale (main program)
Yale(Primary Care)
AE Montefiore
Penn State (Hershey)
GW
Georgetown
U Maryland
JHU Bayview
UVA
MCV
user_offline.gif
Didn't apply to lots of these programs, but based on reputation...I would rank as follows (if you have no geographical preference):
1. Georgetown--wow...this is great program! Lots of fellowship options.
2. Yale (main program)--impressed when I went to interview personally; my own PD with lots of experience does not rank this program amongst the top tier surprisingly.
3. GW
4. UVA
5. Penn State
6. JHU Bayview
7. Yale (primary care)--you must trek 40-45 minutes between yale and waterbury
8. MCV

Good luck. I think any of these programs would be great!

be careful with interpreting how people rank these programs. DJLactulose did you actually go to georgetown? i was told to not even apply there because apparently they have financial problems and word on the street is they don't even have a cath lab anymore.

yale
maryland/ uva
jhu-bayview
penn state
ae montefiore
mcv
georgetown/ gw
whc

Yale (main program)
Yale(Primary Care)
AE Montefiore
Penn State (Hershey)
GW
Georgetown
U Maryland
JHU Bayview
UVA
MCV

these are just people's opinions. for example, on my previous post i have been to only one of those programs. however, you can see a general trend that people think that yale is the best program on that person's list.

be careful with interpreting how people rank these programs. DJLactulose did you actually go to georgetown? i was told to not even apply there because apparently they have financial problems and word on the street is they don't even have a cath lab anymore.

Faculty at my home institution have made similar comments

that's my point, these are just people's opinions. just a word of advice to take these posts with a grain of salt because this thread sometimes seems like the blind leading the blind.

even though georgetown doesn't have cards in-house (they rotate at fairfax for cards), they still match 8-10 residents in cards each year. i don't know if this based solely on reputation or what...

Its true that Georgetown Hospital no longer has a cath lab, but to be honest, how many MI rule-outs does a resident need to do in order to be competent in understanding troponins? I feel like once someone gets put on the cards service, they are essentially no longer a teaching patient for most residency programs (i.e. - the cards fellow gets to do all the cool stuff in the cath lab, etc.)
However, for those interested in cards, you rotate at Washington Hospital Center and Fairfax, both of which have cath labs. I've talked to many residents at Gtown about this issue and they said that essentially its a non-issue. If nothing else, the actual admits at Gtown Hospital (again, where there is no cath lab) tend therefore to be non-cardiac.