This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you mean transfer or whole new residency application?

you apply for IM just like you are this year through ERAS and NRMP, it can be hard to do so given that you will be in the middle of your pathology internship during interview season and you will have to convince your path PD to write you a letter as Rokshana mentioned and also find a good explanation for why you want to switch specialties

also I could be wrong but have heard that switching specialties can be hard as you are using up more money for your training because you'll be needing an extra year's salary, however 4 years of path -> 3 years IM = 4 years of total residency so it may be okay as you woulda spent 4 years in path, but now you're doing 1 year path + 3 IM = 4 years anyways if that made sense... can anyone else verify this? is it frowned upon to use up more money for residency training ??

you apply for IM just like you are this year through ERAS and NRMP, it can be hard to do so given that you will be in the middle of your pathology internship during interview season and you will have to convince your path PD to write you a letter as Rokshana mentioned and also find a good explanation for why you want to switch specialties

also I could be wrong but have heard that switching specialties can be hard as you are using up more money for your training because you'll be needing an extra year's salary, however 4 years of path -> 3 years IM = 4 years of total residency so it may be okay as you woulda spent 4 years in path, but now you're doing 1 year path + 3 IM = 4 years anyways if that made sense... can anyone else verify this? is it frowned upon to use up more money for residency training ??
I am only considering plan B. I did not get any interviews and I am old graduate with second attempt. Also another option to apply to double specialties in SOAP.

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s been so quiet this 2 weeks for me. Yes, I ignore the rejections.

It’s been so quiet this 2 weeks for me. Yes, I ignore the rejections.

I know, I used to check my email every 2 minutes, now I'm checking my email only maybe 3 times a day :O

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Guys, is there any point to applying to programs now?
Go to their website and see their deadlines, if you need more interviews then apply quickly, it still isnt too late.

Best of Luck

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
^ + I would say call them and see if they are still reviewing applications, many are done reviewing so make sure you're not wasting your money on programs that full

^ + I would say call them and see if they are still reviewing applications, many are done reviewing so make sure you're not wasting your money on programs that full
yeah, I might just do that... can't afford to waste anymore money! :(

Members don't see this ad :)
How many questions PDs normally ask? eg is it okay that if don't ask a more than1 question?
And if IV doesn't go well with PD, so does it mean to have zero chance in that program and should rank at the end?

Please do answer my questions guys. I'm so stressed:(

How many questions PDs normally ask? eg is it okay that if don't ask a more than1 question?
And if IV doesn't go well with PD, so does it mean to have zero chance in that program and should rank at the end?
Typically any interview lasts 15-20 min. But it can go longer and shorter depending upon the day, the program, mindset of PD, how the discussion is going. It's totally ok if they don't ask more than 1 question. That, in most cases, means program mostly ranks candidates on the basis of credentials and CV.
Even if you are sure your interview did not go well with PD, you still have chances. How was your other interview in that program? I am not sure, but Associate PD also has some say in the ranking so all is not bad if your one interview did not go well. There are lots of variables in this case and no one can give you a definitive answer. Work on your interview skills, learn from mistakes in this one and perform better in the next.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone interview at Brooklyn hospital center yet? Heard they ask medical questions?

how long did the interview last? I've heard that at some programs, sometimes each interviewer only spends as little 5 mins each with the person as they may have time restraints
sometimes 1 question is all that's needed as the interview is more like a conversation, so it flows without asking more formal questions, and more like a informal chatter

how long did the interview last? I've heard that at some programs, sometimes each interviewer only spends as little 5 mins each with the person as they may have time restraints
sometimes 1 question is all that's needed as the interview is more like a conversation, so it flows without asking more formal questions, and more like a informal chatter
With PD, it was like 2 mins. maybe he didn't like me, but ethically I think, PDs should take interviews because we work so hard to prepare for IV and they should understand that 1 question doesn't judge us. This was my first IV and maybe I'm wrong and I m not a great candidate but still, I felt that PDS should think that candidates work so hard for IVs and to be a physician in the USA.:(

No, he didn't. He just asked 1 question and it was like 2 mins and that's it. I had IVs in my home country and they were so different.

YoG? USCE? visa status? all first time pass? Lors? how many programs? applied broadly? research?

depending how you answer those it will give you a better idea.

Scores alone you have a chance
Hey! Been a while since i've been here. I thought I'd update everyone. To answer your questions
YoG: 2019
Visa: US Citizen
All first time pass: Step 1: 213 Step 2CK: 226
4 LoR
125 programs

Any Interview spots left at:
Albany Medical Center
Maimonidies
MedStart/Georgetown in Washington DC
NYCHHC Queens Hospital in Queens, NY
Montefiore New Rochelle in New Rochelle, NY
???

Hi, Has anyone heard (invites or rejection) from Georgia Internal Medicine Residency Programs (excluding memorial health and AU/UGA)? Thanks

Hi, Has anyone heard (invites or rejection) from Georgia Internal Medicine Residency Programs (excluding memorial health and AU/UGA)? Thanks

rejection from Wellstar Kennestone a week ago

Last edited:
hi Guys anyone interviewed at st mercy oakland pontiac ? What was the interview like !. Thanks

is it a right time to call programs and showing interests or should wait? do you guys call co-ordinator or PD?

Anyone with interview at Jamaica Hospital NY? Is it more like general interview or clinical questions are asked during interview? thanks in advance

With PD, it was like 2 mins. maybe he didn't like me, but ethically I think, PDs should take interviews because we work so hard to prepare for IV and they should understand that 1 question doesn't judge us. This was my first IV and maybe I'm wrong and I m not a great candidate but still, I felt that PDS should think that candidates work so hard for IVs and to be a physician in the USA.:(

you do realize that interviewing applicants is not the only job a PD has, right? (S)he has to review ALL those applications, and interview EVERY invited candidate on interview day, as well as the daily work that is required of the PD with the existing interns and residents and the department with all the meetings and the patients in their clinics...

if you let that entitlement show during the interview, people will notice. First impressions are made within the first 30 seconds of an interview...

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
you do realize that interviewing applicants is not the only job a PD has, right? (S)he has to review ALL those applications, and interview EVERY invited candidate on interview day, as well as the daily work that is required of the PD with the existing interns and residents and the department with all the meetings and the patients in their clinics...

if you let that entitlement show during the interview, people will notice. First impressions are made within the first 30 seconds of an interview...
Yes. I know. Thanks for the answer. I know its hard and they work too hard. It was my first here so I didn't know how they do and I was really upset. But I can't do anything now. So, waiting!

Hey! Been a while since i've been here. I thought I'd update everyone. To answer your questions
YoG: 2019
Visa: US Citizen
All first time pass: Step 1: 213 Step 2CK: 226
4 LoR
125 programs
Have you applied this year? How many Interviews so far?

I agree. Also, When interviewing hundreds of candidates, they are used to hearing mostly the same song over and over. Have a different song or at least a different beats to grab their attention upfront and you will sail smoothly.

is it a right time to call programs and showing interests or should wait? do you guys call co-ordinator or PD?
My understanding is E-mail works best for the programs. They don't even have time to receive phone calls most of the time if you do I think Coordinator is the right person to be in contact with PD is way too occupied with clinical work. In the end, do whatever it takes to get that Interview.

This thread has lost its magic
Not sure why you say that. I beg to differ. This probably is the most comprehensive thread on the subject and most are helpful. This thread will be used by others for years to come

Reactions: 7 users
After having gone on a few interviews myself, I wanted to share some things I noticed from other IMGs who were interviewing alongside with me. I understand that coming from another country and interviewing for residency is a very intimidating and nerve-racking process. When I first came to the US a few years ago, I felt the same way and I was very shy and anxious when speaking to physicians and other health professionals. But the truth of the matter is that the culture here is different and being shy was not going to take me anywhere. After getting to know the culture and spending some time here, I learned that I had to be more active and leave that shyness to the side (and I considered myself an introvert).

When I was interviewing, it was very easy to notice which IMGs had already been in the US for x, y, or z, and which IMGs had not. The former were much more active with other applicants, more talkative, and were not shy to ask questions to applicants, staff, or program directors. The latter have been more quiet and have not engaged as much. I understand that it is overwhelming, humbling and nerve-racking. But to all in this forum and future IMG applicants: YOU HAVE ALL BEEN INVITED FOR AIN INTERVIEW! That means you have ALL the qualifications to be a resident at their program. Regardless of whether you are an US IMG, non US IMG, AMG, DO, etc. You were called because the program thinks you have what it takes and you could be a good fit for that place. Try as hard as you can to leave that nervousness to the side and be comfortable with being uncomfortable. I'm not saying it's said and done. But acknowledge that you will feel nervous and uncomfortable, but also acknowledge that you are there because you deserve it. Nobody in the room is better than you. You are all in the same game, at the same playing field. Believe in yourself, believe in your trajectory, and show as much confidence as you can (without being arrogant) with EVERYONE in the room. Engage with other applicants, ask them questions about where they are from, what school they go to, how their training has been, what their interests are, etc. By getting to know other applicants, it will reduce the anxiety as you will start feeling more comfortable in the room. And when you meet your interviewers, remember they are people too! Have a conversation with them as you would with any other person. Be respectful and know how to talk about yourself, show them that you have truly thought about your goals. But also enjoy your conversation. Smile. Have fun. Laugh. Some fine humor here and there never hurts. It's a conversation, it goes back and forth. If they say something and you want to learn more about it, go ahead and ask about it, even if they haven't opened the door for questions. That shows that you are engaged and paying attention.

Believe me, I KNOW it's easier said than done, but we've come all this way. We have all been through SO much, and we can honestly say we are more resilient and perseverant than many of the people that we will encounter in our lifetime. The program wants you. Interviews are the time to show them that you want them just as much. Do your best to show that. Leave your shyness and nervousness at the door, before you walk in. It's our time to show them why our strength and resilience makes us the best candidates.

Reactions: 28 users
This thread has lost its magic
Don’t mind me - I think I’m withdrawing from lack of [email protected]

i actually agree, I think this threads activity correlates with the noreply email activity, which has slowed down to say the least, and I guess people are busy with interviewing and all that now, but still a great thread nonetheless learned a lot here

Last edited:
After having gone on a few interviews myself, I wanted to share some things I noticed from other IMGs who were interviewing alongside with me. I understand that coming from another country and interviewing for residency is a very intimidating and nerve-racking process. When I first came to the US a few years ago, I felt the same way and I was very shy and anxious when speaking to physicians and other health professionals. But the truth of the matter is that the culture here is different and being shy was not going to take me anywhere. After getting to know the culture and spending some time here, I learned that I had to be more active and leave that shyness to the side (and I considered myself an introvert).

When I was interviewing, it was very easy to notice which IMGs had already been in the US for x, y, or z, and which IMGs had not. The former were much more active with other applicants, more talkative, and were not shy to ask questions to applicants, staff, or program directors. The latter have been more quiet and have not engaged as much. I understand that it is overwhelming, humbling and nerve-racking. But to all in this forum and future IMG applicants: YOU HAVE ALL BEEN INVITED FOR AIN INTERVIEW! That means you have ALL the qualifications to be a resident at their program. Regardless of whether you are an US IMG, non US IMG, AMG, DO, etc. You were called because the program thinks you have what it takes and you could be a good fit for that place. Try as hard as you can to leave that nervousness to the side and be comfortable with being uncomfortable. I'm not saying it's said and done. But acknowledge that you will feel nervous and uncomfortable, but also acknowledge that you are there because you deserve it. Nobody in the room is better than you. You are all in the same game, at the same playing field. Believe in yourself, believe in your trajectory, and show as much confidence as you can (without being arrogant) with EVERYONE in the room. Engage with other applicants, ask them questions about where they are from, what school they go to, how their training has been, what their interests are, etc. By getting to know other applicants, it will reduce the anxiety as you will start feeling more comfortable in the room. And when you meet your interviewers, remember they are people too! Have a conversation with them as you would with any other person. Be respectful and know how to talk about yourself, show them that you have truly thought about your goals. But also enjoy your conversation. Smile. Have fun. Laugh. Some fine humor here and there never hurts. It's a conversation, it goes back and forth. If they say something and you want to learn more about it, go ahead and ask about it, even if they haven't opened the door for questions. That shows that you are engaged and paying attention.

Believe me, I KNOW it's easier said than done, but we've come all this way. We have all been through SO much, and we can honestly say we are more resilient and perseverant than many of the people that we will encounter in our lifetime. The program wants you. Interviews are the time to show them that you want them just as much. Do your best to show that. Leave your shyness and nervousness at the door, before you walk in. It's our time to show them why our strength and resilience makes us the best candidates.

thanks! that makes a lot of sense, glad to hear that more and more people are mentioning that interviews are more like a conversation and less like an interrogation, excited for my upcoming interview and hope to learn about the program just as much as they learn about me
I've noticed that being quiet and shy can mistakenly come off as mean/uninterested which is why we should try to focus on bringing up our energy levels during the interview without coming off as fake/a crazy person

beautifully put!

This entire week has been nothing but silent! Silent enough to make my blood pressure rise. -_-

+1 Hurley Medical Center

Unfortunately I replied too late and no Interview spots were left.

Currently Waitlisted

What are the rules surrounding a programs doctor that interviews you and their communication with you after the interview (i.e. email, text message, etc.)? I looked on ERAS and NRMP and it only talks about program director and doesn't mention rules for others. Or is this just implied?

In my experience the programs have been very clear on their policy on interview day. They would say they follow a strict no-post-interview-communication policy or they would say they don’t mind an email to say thank you and that you can email if you have further questions.

Well.... I've had 0 invites. This season is probably over for me

Status
Not open for further replies.