This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I am not saying that anyone in this thread wont match or cant match this time but please prepare for a backup plan like applying for observership or externships, or getting a research position...because the spots will be over by february most probably...in the worst case scenario, if we apply that late we will end up without any obsie's or externships...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Guys, I am not saying that anyone in this thread wont match or cant match this time but please prepare for a backup plan like applying for observership or externships, or getting a research position...because the spots will be over by february most probably...in the worst case scenario, if we apply that late we will end up without any obsie's or externships...
There is still the SOAP chance.

So I'm asking if it's a violation if the interviewing doctor (not the PD) text messages the candidate after the interview saying that they hope the candidate keeps their interest and that they hope the candidate matches there. Or is it not a violation as long as it's not the program director?

Oh, sorry I misunderstood. Have no idea about that but if it happened to me I probably would not be upset. I also would not read too much into it and still rank based on my impression of the program. They might be doing that with everyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
There is still the SOAP chance.
I know that and I also know that miracles do happen but general consensus is that IMG's doesnt stand a chance in SOAP so anyway its good to have a backup plan..if you match you can just leave the spot for observership or externship....

Got a couple connections at the program, and my connection text me first and said the doctor wanted to know if it was ok if they gave the doctor my number to text me, so I'm definitely the only one. Not sure how to take this though, cause this is my first choice regardless, and i killed my other interview with the PD as well. I like to think that "I really hope you match here" is the doctors way of saying "we are ranking you" without violating match. They did say "you're going to do great here" after my interview as well.

That’s amazing. Sounds like you really impressed them. If it’s your first choice anyway then that simplifies things!

Got a couple connections at the program, and my connection text me first and said the doctor wanted to know if it was ok if they gave the doctor my number to text me, so I'm definitely the only one. Not sure how to take this though, cause this is my first choice regardless, and i killed my other interview with the PD as well. I like to think that "I really hope you match here" is the doctors way of saying "we are ranking you" without violating match. They did say "you're going to do great here" after my interview as well.
It’s not...take everything said with a grain of salt.
There have been plenty of people here that were taken by complete surprise that they didn’t match because people at programs were so nice! It’s part of the game, that’s all.

If they say we are ranking you #1 or 10 or 60 that’s a different story...but they never say that...and you can’t ask.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I've heard of doctors saying something along the lines of "you're going to do great here" to candidates all the time and then they end up not matching at that program, but hoping the conversation over text for 2 days with the doctor is a sign that they really mean it. Even the guy at my university that has been helping students get residency for 20 years said he's never heard of a doc texting a candidate afterwards. Do all doctors that do interviews get a say in who gets ranked?
If course you do...because you want to believe you are different...

It isn’t a violation of the Match for you telling the program you will be ranking them number 1, nor is it a violation that a program (faculty, administrator, or director) tells you they will be ranking you high. The violation is if they ask you if and how you will be ranking them or if you ask how they will be ranking you. Applicants and programs are free to express whatever interest. Having said that, as someone said previously, I would take that with a grain of salt. There are countless stories of people who received a message from a program saying they would be highly ranked, but they didn’t match there in the end. At the end, you should rank programs based on your preference, not on how much probability there is for you to match there.

Yeah I've heard of doctors saying something along the lines of "you're going to do great here" to candidates all the time and then they end up not matching at that program, but hoping the conversation over text for 2 days with the doctor is a sign that they really mean it. Even the guy at my university that has been helping students get residency for 20 years said he's never heard of a doc texting a candidate afterwards. Do all doctors that do interviews get a say in who gets ranked?

Yes all doctors who interviewed you has a say in the decision. At some programs you don’t get interviewed by the PD, just one IV with a member of faculty and other candidates get interviewed by the PD. At one of my interviews they assured us that it doesn’t matter whether you get the PD or not.

If course you do...because you want to believe you are different...
It isn’t a violation of the Match for you telling the program you will be ranking them number 1, nor is it a violation that a program (faculty, administrator, or director) tells you they will be ranking you high. The violation is if they ask you if and how you will be ranking them or if you ask how they will be ranking you. Applicants and programs are free to express whatever interest. Having said that, as someone said previously, I would take that with a grain of salt. There are countless stories of people who received a message from a program saying they would be highly ranked, but they didn’t match there in the end. At the end, you should rank programs based on your preference, not on how much probability there is for you to match there.
Ok well like I said I have connections there, and they were told something, but I wasn't told directly, so no match violation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok well like I said I have connections there, and they were told something, but I wasn't told directly, so no match violation.

Yeah, like we said. Even if they told you directly, it’s not a violation don’t worry. They just can’t ask. Hope you get it if it’s truly your number 1!

Reactions: 2 users
what do you mean by 3/5 are participating in match? what about other two?
There are programs that don't necessarily go through the NRMP Match to find their candidates - so the old fashion interview and reviewing applicants. I decided to apply to both types of programs. There are even programs out there that don't require you to apply through ERAS and have their own separate application process, but I did not bother going through that hassle :rolleyes:

what do you mean by 3/5 are participating in match? what about other two?

pre-match, you apply to them via eras, but they do not participate in the nrmp match, so if they like you after they interview you, they will extend an offer, at that point you can either accept their residency offer and forfeit the match, OR you can refuse their offer and roll the dice with the programs that are in the match

What is an invitation?.... Cause I have yet to get one

another way of saying interview

I was pitying myself. It was not a serious question :(

oh snap! I'm an AI, cannot compute sarcasm

hang in there comrade, never give up, opportunity comes knocking at unexpected moments, persist, endure, be fearless

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Well.... I've had 0 invites. This season is probably over for me
This is really surprising considering people with attempts and multiple red flags, lower scores than you have gotten interviews. Keep your head up! I think things will start looking good very soon

Reactions: 1 users
This is really surprising considering people with attempts and multiple red flags, lower scores than you have gotten interviews. Keep your head up! I think things will start looking good very soon
There is a lot more to this then your scores. If you dont have a strong well rounded application it can hurt you a lot. Not saying that person doesnt, just food for thought.

I have not heard from a program since Oct. 31st. Hopefully a couple more trickle in by Jan.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
After having gone on a few interviews myself, I wanted to share some things I noticed from other IMGs who were interviewing alongside with me. I understand that coming from another country and interviewing for residency is a very intimidating and nerve-racking process. When I first came to the US a few years ago, I felt the same way and I was very shy and anxious when speaking to physicians and other health professionals. But the truth of the matter is that the culture here is different and being shy was not going to take me anywhere. After getting to know the culture and spending some time here, I learned that I had to be more active and leave that shyness to the side (and I considered myself an introvert).

When I was interviewing, it was very easy to notice which IMGs had already been in the US for x, y, or z, and which IMGs had not. The former were much more active with other applicants, more talkative, and were not shy to ask questions to applicants, staff, or program directors. The latter have been more quiet and have not engaged as much. I understand that it is overwhelming, humbling and nerve-racking. But to all in this forum and future IMG applicants: YOU HAVE ALL BEEN INVITED FOR AIN INTERVIEW! That means you have ALL the qualifications to be a resident at their program. Regardless of whether you are an US IMG, non US IMG, AMG, DO, etc. You were called because the program thinks you have what it takes and you could be a good fit for that place. Try as hard as you can to leave that nervousness to the side and be comfortable with being uncomfortable. I'm not saying it's said and done. But acknowledge that you will feel nervous and uncomfortable, but also acknowledge that you are there because you deserve it. Nobody in the room is better than you. You are all in the same game, at the same playing field. Believe in yourself, believe in your trajectory, and show as much confidence as you can (without being arrogant) with EVERYONE in the room. Engage with other applicants, ask them questions about where they are from, what school they go to, how their training has been, what their interests are, etc. By getting to know other applicants, it will reduce the anxiety as you will start feeling more comfortable in the room. And when you meet your interviewers, remember they are people too! Have a conversation with them as you would with any other person. Be respectful and know how to talk about yourself, show them that you have truly thought about your goals. But also enjoy your conversation. Smile. Have fun. Laugh. Some fine humor here and there never hurts. It's a conversation, it goes back and forth. If they say something and you want to learn more about it, go ahead and ask about it, even if they haven't opened the door for questions. That shows that you are engaged and paying attention.

Believe me, I KNOW it's easier said than done, but we've come all this way. We have all been through SO much, and we can honestly say we are more resilient and perseverant than many of the people that we will encounter in our lifetime. The program wants you. Interviews are the time to show them that you want them just as much. Do your best to show that. Leave your shyness and nervousness at the door, before you walk in. It's our time to show them why our strength and resilience makes us the best candidates.
Very true but you have to find a balance. I went on an IV this week where 1 AMG and 1 IMG wouldnt stop asking questions and were not giving anyone else a chance. One of the residents that interviewed me told me straight up that he was not impressed by them at all. I found them to be very annoying and overpowering myself. It was obvious they were kissing butt way too much and had generic questions all day.

No reason to over do it. Yes be social, show interest and have a few questions but be yourself and natural. You dont want to stand out in a bad way. Same goes for sitting in the corner alone, talk about something to anyone.

Reactions: 7 users

:whistle: *visa* *visa*

Very true but you have to find a balance. I went on an IV this week where 1 AMG and 1 IMG wouldnt stop asking questions and were not giving anyone else a chance. One of the residents that interviewed me told me straight up that he was not impressed by them at all. I found them to be very annoying and overpowering myself. It was obvious they were kissing butt way too much and had generic questions all day.

No reason to over do it. Yes be social, show interest and have a few questions but be yourself and natural. You dont want to stand out in a bad way. Same goes for sitting in the corner alone, talk about something to anyone.

Yes agree 100%. There is such a thing as overdoing it and have seen it as well!

Is anybody done with iv at Cleveland Clinic? Would appreciate knowing their experience.

do programs have a set ratio in taking IMGs? for example, 4 positions they have fixed for IMGs and others for AMG and DO.

do programs have a set ratio in taking IMGs? for example, 4 positions they have fixed for IMGs and others for AMG and DO.
Not necessarily. However, some programs, especially those based at public hospitals, are bound to a visa cap set by the hospital. So, a hospital has "x" number of J visas they can sponsor and "y" number of H visas they can sponsor. They may or may not have a defined number between the different residency programs, but they are bound by a total cap. This is because federal or state governments pay for these residency positions and they have made arrangements to pay for no more than "x" and "y" number of IMGs. There are other programs, particularly in private institutions, that have a little bit more freedom. It varies completely from program to program.

Hey guys so if a program is not participating in nrmp, the rules of nrmp don't apply right? Like pre post IV communication etc.

I was reading and there is a post that IMGs have no chance in SOAP. Do IMGS have no chance in SOAP?

I was reading and there is a post that IMGs have no chance in SOAP. Do IMGS have no chance in SOAP?
Everyone has a chance in SOAP. But as with everything else, IMGs are at a disadvantage.

Not necessarily. However, some programs, especially those based at public hospitals, are bound to a visa cap set by the hospital. So, a hospital has "x" number of J visas they can sponsor and "y" number of H visas they can sponsor. They may or may not have a defined number between the different residency programs, but they are bound by a total cap. This is because federal or state governments pay for these residency positions and they have made arrangements to pay for no more than "x" and "y" number of IMGs. There are other programs, particularly in private institutions, that have a little bit more freedom. It varies completely from program to program.

H visas are expensive. Hospitals may impose their own internal cap on the number of H visas offered simply due to budget concerns. For profit institutions have to deal with H visa caps nationally, but not-for-profit can obtain visas above the cap.

J visas are cheap, and unlimited. The visa is actually sponsored by the ECFMG, so the hospital doesn't actually sponsor the visa -- they just need to complete some paperwork that certifies that the resident will be in a training program.

The federal gov't, through Medicare, pays for resident education via DME and IME payments. But these payments occur regardless of visa status. There are caps on the number of residents any hospital can be paid for (created by the Balanced Budget Act of 1997) but these caps say nothing about visa status.

Some states may also fund training positions, whether they have stipulations on visa status I don't know.

In general, there are no "caps" on the number of IMG's set by the federal gov't.

Reactions: 7 users
You will get one soon. To how many programs did you apply? You can match even with 1 iv. I know ppl who matched from 1 or 2 ivs . And i know ppl who had their fellowships from 1 iv .

Thank you, I applied to 100 IM and 50 FM, I got 1 IV for each

Can you please explain to me how?
Explain how IMGs are at a disadvantage? Well, by being IMGs lol programs want as many AMGs as they can get and the SOAP is no exception. The process is basically you registering for SOAP and accessing the list of unfilled programs at a certain point. Then you apply to a max of 45 places and programs reach out to you if they want to talk to you and offer you a spot. This is done in multiple rounds, with most spots being filled in the first round. We're at a disadvantage, but those spots can go to anyone. It's simply false to say we have no chance in the SOAP. But assuming one has to participate in the SOAP, their chances of matching are already lower than they were in the regular Match so it's not ideal by any means.

Here's a link to their pdf for more info:
https://mk0nrmpcikgb8jxyd19h.kinsta...ds/2018/02/2018-SOAP-Guide-for-Applicants.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.