This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Btw guys.... on my last interviews there were 2 no shows. Unfortunately the sad reality is there are selfish people out there who would rather unprofessionally not show up instead of giving a courtesy call to cancel and open up spots for other people who don't have that many interviews. I sincerely hope that I won't match with these types of people. They should actually be blacklisted from applying without a proper excuse for the no show.
Did the PC tell that these people were no shows? What if their flights were cancelled at the last minute...got into an accident, got sick? There can be all sorts of reasons why people dont show up

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Did the PC tell that these people were no shows? What if their flights were cancelled at the last minute...got into an accident, got sick? There can be all sorts of reasons why people dont show up
Usually, when it's due to a reason that the PD knows about, they mention it. During my last interview, someone didn't show up and the PD mentioned specifically it was due to weather conditions and a cancelled flight.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone on here who has been waitlisted for southern Illinois and St.Louis university? Have you heard back from them since being waitlisted?

Dropping Brookdale. I hope one of you guys get it

I'm on the waitlist at SIU. Haven't heard back since the waitlist email.

Does anyone know if NYU realistically will interview any IMG's? I've seen some amazing IMG candidates in this thread get interviews at really great reach programs, but haven't heard of anyone getting an interview at NYU?? :(

Question

How does the ROL work?

Say the program interviews 200 candidates for 10 spots.

1. How many candidates do they rank?

2. If I (with only one interview) were to stand a chance, what should my ranking be?
- Say they only rank 100. Should I be in the top 20 to stand any chance of being matched?

Thank you
Batman's hair follicles

generally that type of information is not readily available...it can change from year to year as well...a program may one year go down to the middle of the list and another year, they may only go down the top 25%...aPD once posted that programs have a sweet spot of how many people they have to generally interview...if they match in the upper part of the list, then they interviewed too many people...interviewing costs money and that is wasted money if say a program interviews 100 people and always fill from, say, the 1st 20. But of course you don't want to interview too few, because then you risk the chance of not filling.

and well, since you have only one interview, where ever you interviewed will be your #1...you have no control on where that program will rank you on their list.

Reactions: 3 users
generally that type of information is not readily available...it can change from year to year as well...a program may one year go down to the middle of the list and another year, they may only go down the top 25%...aPD once posted that programs have a sweet spot of how many people they have to generally interview...if they match in the upper part of the list, then they interviewed too many people...interviewing costs money and that is wasted money if say a program interviews 100 people and always fill from, say, the 1st 20. But of course you don't want to interview too few, because then you risk the chance of not filling.

and well, since you have only one interview, where ever you interviewed will be your #1...you have no control on where that program will rank you on their list.

I remember that post as well. Basically they rank most people they interviewed, and 75% down the list is the sweet spot.

Question

How does the ROL work?

Say the program interviews 200 candidates for 10 spots.

1. How many candidates do they rank?

2. If I (with only one interview) were to stand a chance, what should my ranking be?
- Say they only rank 100. Should I be in the top 20 to stand any chance of being matched?

Thank you
Batman's hair follicles
Since its something you cant really control other than giving a great interview, i wouldnt worry about it. As @rokshana and @APD have said, theres always a sweet spot but we dont know, nor will we ever know.

Members don't see this ad :)
A program has asked me to upload a 30 second selfie video in order to help them when it comes to the ranking process. Any suggestions on what I should talk about in those 30 seconds and what would be the best dress code?

This actually happened at one of my other interviews but they recorded it at the hospital and made us say our name, med school, and dream vacation

Reactions: 1 user

Confirmed by PC. Also if your flight gets cancelled, you get sick, accident etc....most, especially aspiring physicians who will eventually have responsibilities have no excuse for picking up a phone/sending an email to the PC letting them know they won't make it. There's a difference between a cancellation and a no show. The consensus of no show is no effort of communication was even made.

Balle Balle

So much fun. (I am pooping my pants). Oh well. Let the god of luck play his/her game.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on it.

Hope you are doing everything you can to get them to rank you #1 with post interview communication and letting them know you will be ranking them #1 when they decide to pick their class. G luck

Does anyone know about metrohealth-case Western program. I've seen some really extreme reviews on sdn and wanted some info if anyone has interviewed there?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Anyone on here who has been waitlisted for southern Illinois and St.Louis university? Have you heard back from them since being waitlisted?

Dropping Brookdale. I hope one of you guys get it
i heard back from SIU and got rejected. Haven't heard back from St Louis though

At least 40% of my interviews I got by calling.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I am curious, did they collect your AAMC ID? And after they did that, how long till you heard back from them? Did you check back?

Reactions: 1 users
I am curious, did they collect your AAMC ID? And after they did that, how long till you heard back from them? Did you check back?
They did and they would go over my scores, Visa status and YOG while I was on the phonecall and within 48 hours, I had an interview scheduled.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone!
Hope all of your interviews have been going well.
As I mentioned before, I am still sitting at 0 interviews. I am not sure as to what my plan will be for the next year before the 2020 Match. If anyone has any ideas on what is the best way for me to go about this next year I would really appreciate it. I know people like Major Procrastinator, etc. did not match last year, so I would love to hear what you guys did to better your CV, make connections etc.

As of now, since I graduated this year, all I can think of is doing observerships at residency hospitals, as well as maybe pursuing some more research? If anyone else has any advice for me I would really appreciate it, this forum has been so helpful for me through this entire process and although there have been some arguing etc., I know that this thread this year has helped so many people and I love the positive vibes and advice that everyone gives!

Anyways, any advice for me would be great!
Hope this helps you

1. Last year I applied mid october and did not recieve my CK score til Feb.
2. I was couples matching, 4/6 interviews were because of her asking for me.
3. I was trying my luck, only thing to lose was money. I think its important to understand my situation before comparing me.
4. After not matching. I was ECFMG certified end of Feb.
5. I did 5 months hands on rotations in IM and sub specialities. I also volunteered in food banks and free clinics at same time 1-2 times a week
6. I got 4 new very strong LORs from US faculty
7.Submitted a research paper
8. Was working on 2 case reports
9. I emailed programs in the summer
10. I emailed programs after applying
11. I got attendings to email programs on my behalf
12. I worked hard, listened to my mentor, hustled. Applied on day 1. I made sure every single part of my application was detailed and well written. Proofread many many many times. I did not neglect any part of it and bulked it up over the summer.
13. I have 19 Interviews! Do not need visa. Did all med school rotations in USA+another 6 months after graduating.

Good luck! Basically, you need to look at what you can improve on. Make connections, ask for help, and perfect your application. Anyone can make it happen!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Hope this helps you

1. Last year I applied mid october and did not recieve my CK score til Feb.
2. I was couples matching, 4/6 interviews were because of her asking for me.
3. I was trying my luck, only thing to lose was money. I think its important to understand my situation before comparing me.
4. After not matching. I was ECFMG certified end of Feb.
5. I did 5 months hands on rotations in IM and sub specialities. I also volunteered in food banks and free clinics at same time 1-2 times a week
6. I got 4 new very strong LORs from US faculty
7.Submitted a research paper
8. Was working on 2 case reports
9. I emailed programs in the summer
10. I emailed programs after applying
11. I got attendings to email programs on my behalf
12. I worked hard, listened to my mentor, hustled. Applied on day 1. I made sure every single part of my application was detailed and well written. Proofread many many many times. I did not neglect any part of it and bulked it up over the summer.
13. I have 19 Interviews! Do not need visa. Did all med school rotations in USA+another 6 months after graduating.

Good luck! Basically, you need to look at what you can improve on. Make connections, ask for help, and perfect your application. Anyone can make it happen!!
Good luck Man :) Hope you match this year, you worked really hard. So, can you please share your YOG?

Status
Not open for further replies.