This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Loyola rejection - not one but two rejections from the same place..... Maybe they really didn't want me.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
+1 Yale Categorical !! :soexcited:

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow these last few days have been rejection after rejection.

Reactions: 1 users
I didn’t hear anything back from majority the programs I applied to. I applied to 60 programs. 10/60 rejection or interviews. 50 have been dead silent. I applied in December. Hopefully there are still some programs still sending out invites.

Hi everyone,

Step 1: 24X
Step 2CK: 25X
Step 2CS: pass first attempt
YOG: 2014 (downside to my app, many programs filter for 3 years)
US IMG
4 US LORs

No IVs yet. It's still very early in the season so no need to worry guys! Most IVs are going to AMGs, and IVs at home institutions. Ours will come with time, most starting in October. Congrats on everyone for getting this far and sending in your applications! That is a huge success in it and of itself.
Did you have any research experience/pubs?

You've had an incredible season! Congrats

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It has to be his USCE. Please let us know where you end up with after match ;)

Thanks! I have 3 years of research experience with multiple publications and presentations at conferences

It has to be his USCE. Please let us know where you end up with after match ;)

Not sure how much impact it had because they were just a few. I did get very strong US LORs from the USCE, which helped a lot. Crossing fingers for my top places!

Reactions: 2 users
I didn’t hear anything back from majority the programs I applied to. I applied to 60 programs. 10/60 rejection or interviews. 50 have been dead silent. I applied in December. Hopefully there are still some programs still sending out invites.
Considering you were 3 months late on your app I think you're killing it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude I think everyone in this thread has about had it with your hostile attitude and insults. You just generalized two entire regions of the US. At this point it doesn't even matter if you're right or wrong, it's the way you're delivering the information that's putting everyone here on edge. We all sincerely hope this is not how you act when you're delivering information to your patients or if this is how you're acting during your interviews. Because if that is the case, you're going to be a terror to work with.
I was respectful in my initial post. It's when I'm met with hostility and rudeness that I respond with the same (unless it's a patient). I generalize because I did half my training in both regions. Go back and look at the string, it was not I who started with the hostility and rudeness, it was others towards me. I just reacted.

how was the montgomery iv? i have it in a week.
I liked it a lot. PD is fantastic. I know everyone says that but she really stood out from all the other PDs I met. Program is small, but very close knit. Fellowship pursuit is not a problem. Area isn't ideal though, Montgomery is developing but still leaves much to be desired. I'd still be happy to train there though. Good luck on the interview.

MSU and sisters of charity rejections..... At least inbox hasn't been empty.

Is it the final day of invitations today? I have received like 10 rejections today lol.

Detroit Medical Center/Wayne State University (Sinai Grace) Program Internal Medicine is done interviewing

Congrats to those who still got invite! Been only rejection for me lately.

hey guys what are your thoughts on telling programs your number 1 choice? I have been told do not tell more than one program that, but I have read online that people email multiple programs telling them they are ranking them first??

hey guys what are your thoughts on telling programs your number 1 choice? I have been told do not tell more than one program that, but I have read online that people email multiple programs telling them they are ranking them first??
I wouldn’t recommend telling multiple programs they are number 1. I would tell and rank my first choice as number 1 and I’ll tell the rest that I’ll rank them high. Honesty is still best policy even when no one is watching. What if you lie to one and rank in a program run by best friend/ spouse of the one you lied to.

I wouldn’t recommend telling multiple programs they are number 1. I would tell and rank my first choice as number 1 and I’ll tell the rest that I’ll rank them high. Honesty is still best policy even when no one is watching. What if you lie to one and rank in a program run by best friend/ spouse of the one you lied to.

There's no point emailing programs that you're ranking them "high" vs #1. Program directors aren't idiots. You can bet they are receiving a plethora of emails from other candidates notifying they are being ranked #1. If I'm a program director, the only email I want to take seriously is one where I am being told a candidate is choosing me #1.

S

At the end of the match season, Program directors get a list of where all their interviewees matched. They will know. There's nothing they can do but it will leave a salty taste in their mouths. I guess it mostly hurts if that program has a fellowship you intend to apply to later. I would use your best judgement and see if it aligns with your future goals when making this decision.

Cancelled IV at Presence St Joseph in Chicago. Hope one of you gets it!

At the end of the match season, Program directors get a list of where all their interviewees matched. They will know. There's nothing they can do but it will leave a salty taste in their mouths. I guess it mostly hurts if that program has a fellowship you intend to apply to later. I would use your best judgement and see if it aligns with your future goals when making this decision.

Really? The PDs get to know where the interviewees match? Never heard this before. Thanks for the info.

Really? The PDs get to know where the interviewees match? Never heard this before. Thanks for the info.

Yup was told when a PD said they saw that 95% of their interviewees matched. When asked how they knew they said via a list at the end of match season.

Yup was told when a PD said they saw that 95% of their interviewees matched. When asked how they knew they said via a list at the end of match season.
To help myself understand, if we don't match a given program, it does not necessarily mean we did not rank it top 1? There are many other factors involved. PDs can't judge where we rank their program based on match result? Personally I would only tell my top 1 that they are my top 1.

To help myself understand, if we don't match a given program, it does not necessarily mean we did not rank it top 1? There are many other factors involved. PDs can't judge where we rank their program based on match result? Personally I would only tell my top 1 that they are my top 1.

Since they have their own rank list, it's very easy to figure out if you rank them first or not...
Plus, I wonder if sending the you-are-my-number-one letter makes a difference. I'd love to learn the prospective from the program leadership or chief :D

95% is a big ratio. Like if one has only 1 IV, very hard to match. And there are a lot of people who just get 1 or 2 IVs. Right?

I still feel saying that I will be ranking you #1 of even saying ranking you high is not required. Can we not just say that we really liked the program and consider it as my best fit. Without mentioning about ranking. What do you guys think?

Are the programs that participate in soap not so competitive? why do they unfill their positions despite thousands of applications during the season? first time applying so please explain if someone knows this.

I still feel saying that I will be ranking you #1 of even saying ranking you high is not required. Can we not just say that we really liked the program and consider it as my best fit. Without mentioning about ranking. What do you guys think?
Personally, I like this answer more than saying ''I will rank you #1'', but this is completely subjective and there is no right or wrong answer.

Are the programs that participate in soap not so competitive? why do they unfill their positions despite thousands of applications during the season? first time applying so please explain if someone knows this.
Not necessarily. I remember Johns Hopkins Bayview went unmatched a few years ago, with more than 1 spot available. Not sure how it happened since programs get money for every resident they train, but my guess is they simply didn't rank enough people.

St. John's Riverside and University of Arkansas rejections.

Rejections galore

Personally, I like this answer more than saying ''I will rank you #1'', but this is completely subjective and there is no right or wrong answer.
so does thee program rank you high if you show interest or it all depends on how the interview went?

so does thee program rank you high if you show interest or it all depends on how the interview went?
I have really no idea, I would guess most likely nothing will happen, you are already ranked.

So you're asking: "In a field where honesty and integrity are critical attributes, should I be dishonest in my communications to potential future employers because ultimately there's nothing they can do about it?"

Since they have their own rank list, it's very easy to figure out if you rank them first or not...
Plus, I wonder if sending the you-are-my-number-one letter makes a difference. I'd love to learn the prospective from the program leadership or chief :D

This question is asked a bajillion times on SDN. You'll see the multiple threads later in the season.

The answer is "It depends, probably has little impact". In general, program optimal ranking strategy is to rank candidates in the order that they want them, regardless of how likely that person is to come to my program. If I rank Joe #1 and Mary #2, the match will try to put Joe in my slot, and failing that will try just as hard to put Mary in it -- the only way I can not match Mary (if she wants to come to my program) is that I match Joe.

But, programs MIGHT rank on perceived interest for 2 reasons. Although I want the "best" candidates, I also want people who want to be at my location. Or, said differently, given two candidates of similar quality, I might prefer the person who really wants to be here and would be happy. So, I might adjust the list moving people who voice interest higher.

Or, programs might obsess over how low they go on their rank list. I think this is dumb, but perhaps some PD's want to be able to tell their chair that they only went to #12. Optimal ranking would similarly need to be interest based.

How often do either of these options happen? I have no idea.

Mostly it depends upon your application and interview. Does "interest" affect your final rank? Maybe, see above. But probably little.

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.