In State Tuition for Out of State Folks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VAgirl

UC Davis SVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I asked this question within another thread, but it was not on the main topic there, so I'm breaking it out.

Does anyone know what schools/states might allow an out of state student to get in state tuition in later years? I know that Iowa State and K State definitely don't. From what I've read, it sounds to me like getting in state tuition may be a possibility at UC Davis in yrs 2, 3, and 4. Beagingese indicated that Missouri does this. Does anyone know of any others? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that Minnesota makes it very difficult, as well.

I'm also interested in the answer to this! Any info on:
Cornell, Tufts, NCSU, or Wisconsin specifically? Any corroboration on the Davis stats?

Thanks!

Cornell, Tufts, VA-MD, Mississippi don't. Missouri (at least last year) does.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ohio State does everything possible to let you know of the requirements for getting instate tuition after your first year. So it's definitely possible here if you follow the proper steps.

Anyone know about MSU (Michigcan) or OK state?

no way jose here at colorado... i am stuck with my $40K+/year OOS tuition for all 4 years... woo hoo!!

I wonder if this would work better for schools that offer deferment of admission? Get accepted, then defer a year so you can move there and establish in-state residency then go at the in-state tuition rate?

It seems like a lot of schools require you to live full time in the state for atleast 1 year and won't count years there as a student towards those requirements.

Nice try but nope...you're usually considered under what your standing was when you were accepted. If you REALLY have to go to that school and need in state standing, find out the requirements and go there for your undergrad and establish legal residence (separate from your parents) or wait 1-3 years (depending on the requirements), work and then apply when you have in state standing. Neither is a great option, but that's just the way things are...

If you REALLY have to go to that school and need in state standing, find out the requirements and go there for your undergrad and establish legal residence (separate from your parents) or wait 1-3 years (depending on the requirements), work and then apply when you have in state standing.

Some of us are well past undergrad and those options. And for my situation, I have a perfectly lovely in state school to which I am applying. But I am also applying to several places out of state. I was just curious what options might be available if I ended up accepted into any of these out of state choices.

And it does seem that some schools/states are more flexible on redefining people as in-state once they've lived there a year. I was just curious to see if people knew where each school fell on the issue.

Thanks, guys. Keep the info coming!

I just noticed that your info says you're in NOVA...so yes, you do have a perfectly lovely in-state school (and it's pretty awesome if I may say so!). :-D

Wisconsin doesn't. At long as you're enrolled as an out of state resident, you're considered as such unless you appeal (HAH! Good luck with that!) or, I believe, take a year off from school.

I'm here for my undergrad, and it looks like I'm going to take some time off from school so I can save the 10K extra per year that out-of-staters pay.. even for undergrad.

Out of state students can get instate tuition at washington for years 2-4. You just have to go through the process of becoming a WA resident.

in state tuition may be a possibility at UC Davis in yrs 2, 3, and 4.
Highly doubt it. Davis in state tuition is almost as high as most out of state tuition at other schools anyway:oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
How much cheaper is it usually to get instate tuition? Tufts is my state school (though that is VERY far away!) and I heard they're REALLY expensive even for instate tuition.:(

How much cheaper is it usually to get instate tuition? Tufts is my state school (though that is VERY far away!) and I heard they're REALLY expensive even for instate tuition.:(

Much, much cheaper. At state sponsored schools in-state tuition is ~$15K. Out of state is about $30K. Of course add books, computer, cost of living etc to that...

Tufts is a private school (like Cornell, etc), it's not state-sponsored like the "U of...." and "State University...." Out of the generosity of their hearts they give you like a $5K discount for being from MA...but it doesn't make a huge difference. My suggestion- if you're going to be paying that much money no matter what, do some school shopping and make sure that Tufts is really where you want to be. You may find a school in another state that you like more and you'd be paying the same thing pretty much. From what I understand, the cost of living by Tufts is pretty high too so you might be able to find another school that you like where the cost of living is less and save money that way. Just ideas...

The difference can be quite large. In-state for Ohio is around 21,000, whereas out of state is around 52,000.

Hey the cost of education at Tufts ( ie tuition and living) is estimated at 50,000 a year. So yes going else where out of state is the same as going to Tufts instate. You get a 15% reduction on tuition.

Hey the cost of education at Tufts ( ie tuition and living) is estimated at 50,000 a year. So yes going else where out of state is the same as going to Tufts instate. You get a 15% reduction on tuition.

There should be some admissions advantage, though, and that's worth something. The cost issue is moot unless you can get in.

There is--half of the class (40) is required to be from MA.

Tufts is a private school (like Cornell, etc),

Cornell is split, part being public(ex: school of agro is public), part being private(ex: school of engineering is private). The Veterinary College falls under the public part of the university.

It should be noted that Ohio State has their out-of-state tuition so high because they know (and pretty much expect) that you can establish in-state residency for years 2-4.

Even if Cornell's vet school is considered "public" it still charges "private" school tuition even for instate students. I happen to be a New York resident and found that several state schools have out of state tuition that is similar to Cornell's instate tuition.

This is random but my periodonstist (from SC) visited NCState with her daughter recently and they said that after the first year they can walk you through the process of establishing in-state residence (so pay in state years 2-4). I did not know that when i applied, but that is a big plus in NCState's favor

Illinois - yes; they even provide you with information on the process

Mississippi - not allowed

(which, according to someone in the know, is technically illegal because the entire state of Mississippi and the entire Mississippi State University system allows for an out-of-stater to become an in-stater, EXCEPT for our vet school :mad: I just can't afford a lawyer to fight it!)

This is random but my periodonstist (from SC) visited NCState with her daughter recently and they said that after the first year they can walk you through the process of establishing in-state residence (so pay in state years 2-4). I did not know that when i applied, but that is a big plus in NCState's favor

I really don't think this is true. I tried to get in-state residency recently after living and going to school there for 2 years and they would not let me. It's one of those states where you have to live there for a year without going to school while holding down a job to get in-state. It didn't used to be that way, but they changed the rules a few years back. Sorry. :(

Anyone know about MSU (Michigcan) or OK state?

At OK state, unless you have a contract, you have to be married to an Oklahoma resident to get in state tuition. So evidently, if your spouse moves with you to Oklahoma and gets a job, then after a year he or she will be an Oklahoma resident and you'll be married to them. I've heard this works. A few of my classmates will be trying this approach for next years tuition, and of course, nothing is certain.

Illinois - yes; they even provide you with information on the process

Really, Illinois lets you become a resident? Can you tell me where to find that info?

Thanks!

So you have to work an entire year without taking a class at the university? I thought what's most important is that you're able to prove your intent to live in the stat for more than just education purposes. I'm thinking of moving to Colorado or Florida, getting a job and taking classes part time. Does anyone know how they feel about taking classes part-time for a year or so before applying? Part-time being only one or possibly two classes?

Wow, I am loving Guelph right now!!!

The government pays a LOT of money for Ontario students...and vet students pay almost the same tuition as undergrads - ~$6k/year

So you have to work an entire year without taking a class at the university? I thought what's most important is that you're able to prove your intent to live in the stat for more than just education purposes. I'm thinking of moving to Colorado or Florida, getting a job and taking classes part time. Does anyone know how they feel about taking classes part-time for a year or so before applying? Part-time being only one or possibly two classes?

I went to CSU undergrad for two years- I had absolutely no problem getting residency after a year. You do have to change over your car plates, drivers license, and voter registration at least, maybe another thing or two. I was a full time student for both years and had a part time job for a year and a half of it. After the first year I went to a residency lecture during the summer, filled out paperwork, and the next year I had in state tuition. That part was easy, but finding a good job for my spouse was practically impossible so we left after two years.

Really, Illinois lets you become a resident? Can you tell me where to find that info?

Thanks!

I'm not exactly where to find it in terms of online, but we were explained the process at the interviews last year. It was along the lines of, you have to live there for a year, and have worked a certain amount of hours (which could be done over one summer full-time), and then change a few things, probably drivers license, tags, voters registration, etc.

I bet the admissions people would let you know the exact details if you asked =)

So in case people arnt keeping tracking this is what everyone has reported so far:

Can become instate:
Missouri(?)
Ohio
Washington
Illinois

Cant become instate:
UC Davis
Iowa State
Minnesota
Cornell
Tufts
VA-MD
Mississippi
Colorado
Wisconsin
Oklahoma(but you can marry in)

I really thought it was possible at UC Davis. Are you sure about it not being possible to establish residency?

Also, I think KSU is also a big fat "no" on establishing residency.

So in case people arnt keeping tracking this is what everyone has reported so far:

Can become instate:
Missouri(?)
Ohio
Washington
Illinois

Cant become instate:
UC Davis
Iowa State
Minnesota
Cornell
Tufts
VA-MD
Mississippi
Colorado
Wisconsin

Re-check your info on MN. They do allow it.

They don't make it easy (you have to do things that genuinely make it seem like you plan to reside in MN after you graduate), and for most students, the things they will expect to see aren't feasible to do (but are probably more doable for older students and/or financially independent students). But they do allow it.

At KSU, you have to reside in the state for a year while taking a less than full-time courseload (not possible while you're in vet school). However, if your spouse gets a job with the university, you're considered in-state. :) Other than that, I don't think it's really possible.

Can become instate:
Missouri(?)
Ohio
Washington
Illinois

Cant become instate:
UC Davis
Iowa State
Minnesota
Cornell
Tufts
VA-MD
Mississippi
Colorado
Wisconsin
Tennessee

I really thought it was possible at UC Davis. Are you sure about it not being possible to establish residency?

QUOTE]

For Davis you must live in California for a full year without being any type of student, pay taxes and change license and stuff. You also cannot intend to be a student (so cannot be applying to vet school) during that year.

Missouri is a can, I'm about 90% sure. I'm in-state, so I didn't have to worry, but I think that is the case.

I'm not exactly where to find it in terms of online, but we were explained the process at the interviews last year. It was along the lines of, you have to live there for a year, and have worked a certain amount of hours (which could be done over one summer full-time), and then change a few things, probably drivers license, tags, voters registration, etc.

I bet the admissions people would let you know the exact details if you asked =)

I think you have some misinformation. I am fairly sure that you cannot do this at Illinois. I asked when I applied last year and they said absolutely not. I even went to undergrad in Illinois. I think you are thinking about people who have lived in Illinois for a full year before vet school.

I think you have some misinformation. I am fairly sure that you cannot do this at Illinois. I asked when I applied last year and they said absolutely not. I even went to undergrad in Illinois. I think you are thinking about people who have lived in Illinois for a full year before vet school.

When I applied/interviewed (2002) they told me it was possible to get residency. Don't know if it has changed.

It sounds like we all really just need to ask these questions directly to people at the schools to which we're applying, since there seems to be so much disagreement, even from people who've done this before!:p

Well for Davis here you go:
http://registrar.ucdavis.edu/html/slr.html

I was a CA resident most of my life...

I honestly don't see in there anything that makes me think you cannot establish CA residency if you sever ties with your previous state (i.e. don't return there for summer jobs, are financially independent, etc.). I may be reading something wrong, but it comes across very differently than what I have read for Iowa for example. For Iowa, they say by no means may you establish residency, even if you sever ties with your previous state, register to vote in Iowa, buy a house, have a spouse paying income tax, etc, if you moved to Iowa primarily to attend school. That website seems to make no such claim. They just seem to want you to really be establishing residency and cutting off ties with your former state.

As I said before, I'll definitely be asking about it. No offense.

I honestly don't see in there anything that makes me think you cannot establish CA residency if you sever ties with your previous state (i.e. don't return there for summer jobs, are financially independent, etc.). I may be reading something wrong, but it comes across very differently than what I have read for Iowa for example. For Iowa, they say by no means may you establish residency, even if you sever ties with your previous state, register to vote in Iowa, buy a house, have a spouse paying income tax, etc, if you moved to Iowa primarily to attend school. That website seems to make no such claim. They just seem to want you to really be establishing residency and cutting off ties with your former state.

As I said before, I'll definitely be asking about it. No offense.

3) Intent. You must have come here with the intent to make California your home as opposed to coming to this state to go to school. Physical presence within the state solely for educational purposes does not constitute the establishment of California residence, regardless of the length of your stay. You must demonstrate your intention to make California your home by severing your residential ties with your former state of residence and establishing those ties with California. If these steps are delayed, the one year duration period will be extended until you have demonstrated both presence and intent for one full year.

I think you missed that portion. But by all means, ask.

Don't know if this one was already said, but when I visited NCSU they told me that by your 2nd year you are considered in-state.

3) Intent. You must have come here with the intent to make California your home as opposed to coming to this state to go to school. Physical presence within the state solely for educational purposes does not constitute the establishment of California residence, regardless of the length of your stay. You must demonstrate your intention to make California your home by severing your residential ties with your former state of residence and establishing those ties with California. If these steps are delayed, the one year duration period will be extended until you have demonstrated both presence and intent for one full year.

I think you missed that portion. But by all means, ask.

I didn't miss that portion. And not to belabor the point, because I am going to inquire about it anyway, but doesn't what you listed above mean that if you do all of those things to demonstrate your intent of not just being a student, but becoming a state resident (severing ties with prev. state, getting a drivers license, registering to vote, etc.), then one year later you can claim residency? That's what I'm getting from that language. Perhaps my interpretation is wrong, and I'm not doubting any additional knowledge you may have, but if the language above is why you're saying what you're saying, I'm just not getting the same interpretation from it. So I will ask. It's as simple as that.

At KSU, you have to reside in the state for a year while taking a less than full-time courseload (not possible while you're in vet school). However, if your spouse gets a job with the university, you're considered in-state. :) Other than that, I don't think it's really possible.

At KSU, you can also establish residency by marrying a Kansas resident.

At KSU, you can also establish residency by marrying a Kansas resident.

Ok, I'm curious about a different application of this one. If you move to Kansas with a spouse, who then does all the things necessary to become a resident, and a year goes by...then you're married to a Kansas resident, right? I feel like I read something on their website that says this doesn't work, though.

OR

What if you move to Kansas with a non-spouse signficiant other. Who becomes a Kansas resident by doing all those necessary things and being there for a year. And then you marry them. Does that count in terms of establishing residency by marrying a Kansas resident? I feel like, while both of these scenarios sound plausible, they'll likely be unallowable as they miss the spirit of the rule. Maybe? Again, I guess I'll just ask KSU.

Illinois does allow you to establish residency for OOS but their rules are very similar to other schools i.e. you have to live here for a year before you start classes, get a job, register to vote, etc... Basically you have to show intent to live here for reasons other than education and there are pretty specific requirements to do that.

all the details can be seen here http://www.usp.uillinois.edu/residency/res_faq.cfm
this is from the main undergrad site but the same rules apply to the vet school

What if you move to Kansas with a non-spouse signficiant other. Who becomes a Kansas resident by doing all those necessary things and being there for a year. And then you marry them. Does that count in terms of establishing residency by marrying a Kansas resident? I feel like, while both of these scenarios sound plausible, they'll likely be unallowable as they miss the spirit of the rule. Maybe? Again, I guess I'll just ask KSU.

The latter idea interests me... Could it work? :banana: