Iowa c/o 2017 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wildcatj

Mizzou c/o 2017!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
You know, I never thought I'd want to go back to the Midwest after living there for 10 years, but here I am, applying to 5/6 midwest schools.

Members don't see this ad.

I was so iffy on applying to Iowa again but then I found out they had a wildlife clinic... soul sold

I was so iffy on applying to Iowa again but then I found out they had a wildlife clinic... soul sold

Yeah... and with the 2+2, totally worth being in corn land for 4 years :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking of starting this one yesterday and got busy. Yay!

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile

Yeah... and with the 2+2, totally worth being in corn land for 4 years :)
If you're talking about # class years + # clinic years -- we're actually a 3+1 program. If not, feel free to ignore me. And "corn land" isn't that bad (but I may be biased, having grown up here)!

Anyway, I'm currently a fourth year so if you have questions about ISU, Ames, or Iowa in general don't hesitate to PM me or ask me whatever on the thread :)

If you're talking about # class years + # clinic years -- we're actually a 3+1 program. If not, feel free to ignore me. And "corn land" isn't that bad (but I may be biased, having grown up here)!

Anyway, I'm currently a fourth year so if you have questions about ISU, Ames, or Iowa in general don't hesitate to PM me or ask me whatever on the thread :)

Fail. Oh well, I still really like Iowa :). And thanks cuit, I'm sure I'll have lots of questions!

I like what I have read. So will probably throw my hat in the ring here too.:)

Did they throw out the Why do you like Ames? (or whatever) essay question on the supplemental? Am I making that up?

Did they throw out the Why do you like Ames? (or whatever) essay question on the supplemental? Am I making that up?

There's a "why Iowa State" question still. Or, more specifically, what do they have to offer you that is unique? It seems really sillily phrased.

There's a "why Iowa State" question still. Or, more specifically, what do they have to offer you that is unique? It seems really sillily phrased.

I agree, the phrasing is weird. Maybe I was desperate to write that essay and included something about Ames...

Their wildlife clinic reminds me so much of ours :)

Really? Then I really am sold. :love: :love: :love: :love: miss you guys.

(If anyone is curious, we both work at the wildlife medical clinic at U of I Vet Med. Well, technically I'm gone atm)

Really? Then I really am sold. :love: :love: :love: :love: miss you guys.

(If anyone is curious, we both work at the wildlife medical clinic at U of I Vet Med. Well, technically I'm gone atm)

Miss you too! Nicki thinks we are getting our second wave of raccoons, a 1 week old infant came in today :). haha here we go again!

I bet you are seeing lots of cool wildlife in CA though! send more pics

But Iowa's wildlife clinic website had pictures of their resident birds with volunteers and it reminded me of ours. And I guess you can volunteer there as a student too which is nice. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, does anybody know how they process applications here? Like, do they rely heavily on GPA? I have a pretty low GPA and I would love to apply here, but I don't want to waste my money if I get cut right off the bat. Thanks :)

Hey, does anybody know how they process applications here? Like, do they rely heavily on GPA? I have a pretty low GPA and I would love to apply here, but I don't want to waste my money if I get cut right off the bat. Thanks :)

I believe Iowa as a min of 2.5 cumulative GPA to be eligible to apply. They look at your science GPA which only consists of the required courses in their pre-reqs and they take your last 45 credit hour GPA into consideration.

The lady I talked to with admissions said that they don't count your cum GPA for final decision and only look at your last 45 hour GPA and your science GPA instead.

They have a ridiculous way of calculating last 45/overall GPA's. Their calculations are usually much lower than GPA's calculated by other schools. Example, my overall GPA was 3.3ish when I applied last year, and they calculated it out to 2.9.

But don't let that stop you, the selection process takes much more into account than just GPA.

However, I don't remember what percentage GPA makes up of the final decision. (like Cornell's whopping 25% GPA and 25% GRE )

They have a ridiculous way of calculating last 45/overall GPA's. Their calculations are usually much lower than GPA's calculated by other schools. Example, my overall GPA was 3.3ish when I applied last year, and they calculated it out to 2.9.

But don't let that stop you, the selection process takes much more into account than just GPA.

I know some schools like IL take ALL the credits from the semester where your 45th credit fell in. All those grades/credits are taken into consideration too for the 45 hour GPA even though you might have more than that that they'll include. Does Iowa do this do you think?

Maybe they calculate GPAs on a +/- grading system? I don't know for sure if they do this but It would contribute to lower GPAs if your school weighed an A- as a 4.0 and they count it as a 3.66 and so on. My school does the +/- grading system and because of that my GPA is lower than what it could be if they didn't have it. I'm sure Iowa probably multiplies the number of credit hours that the class was worth by the grade points earned for the GPA? Not sure but correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

Good to know that they take other things into consideration other than GPAs.

No problem.

That's pretty high... probably why I haven't gotten in :laugh:

Yeah, it is a little on the high side. I was researching Cornell recently (which is my "stretch" school if I decide to apply there) and compared to Cornell with their academic weight its not too bad lol

As of right now I think my best shot still is my IS lol

Thanks for all the information! and 35% is a lot better than some other schools, where GPA is like 50%!

I know some schools like IL take ALL the credits from the semester where your 45th credit fell in. All those grades/credits are taken into consideration too for the 45 hour GPA even though you might have more than that that they'll include. Does Iowa do this do you think?

Maybe they calculate GPAs on a +/- grading system? I don't know for sure if they do this but It would contribute to lower GPAs if your school weighed an A- as a 4.0 and they count it as a 3.66 and so on. My school does the +/- grading system and because of that my GPA is lower than what it could be if they didn't have it. I'm sure Iowa probably multiplies the number of credit hours that the class was worth by the grade points earned for the GPA? Not sure but correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

Good to know that they take other things into consideration other than GPAs.

I think it has to do with calculating grades with repeat courses. In my instance, I had two horrible physics grades (D's) so I had to retake them. With the D's included in my grade history, that killed my GPA. I don't think they average repeat course grades.

Also, I know K-State calculates exactly last 45 credit hours. If that 45 calculation happens to fall into the middle of a particular semester, they'll take the best grades from that semester to give them the 45.

I think it has to do with calculating grades with repeat courses. In my instance, I had two horrible physics grades (D's) so I had to retake them. With the D's included in my grade history, that killed my GPA. I don't think they average repeat course grades.

Also, I know K-State calculates exactly last 45 credit hours. If that 45 calculation happens to fall into the middle of a particular semester, they'll take the best grades from that semester to give them the 45.

Ahh I see. That's nice of K-State :)

I have a similar issue with the grades. I have one bad mark from a calculus summer class I took at a community college during the summer of my freshman year. I totally underestimated it and ended up with a D :( but then I retook the class the following fall semester (which was 2 years ago now and is not included in my last 45) and got a B-. I've picked up since then at least. And I dislike physics too :p , I'm taking Physics II this fall so hopefully it won't go too bad.

The second calc class I took however was one at my 4 year university and not the community college. I never sent that transcript from the other community college to my 4 year university since I needed calc to complete my degree but I know you have to send ALL them in for vet school.

Repeated courses are averaged. And if you have multiple courses that will fulfill a prereq then they use the highest grade (at least they did when I applied).

Iowa State does use a +/- grading system, with A (4.00) as the highest possible grade. Use this calculator if you want to get an idea of how your GPA will be calculated: http://www.registrar.iastate.edu/gpa-calc/gpaCalculator.html. No guarantees that it will be exact but it should help.

Hopefully that helps you guys some!

(Also... this is slightly nitpicky but meh. We're Iowa State or ISU -- Iowa [aka University of Iowa] is our rival institution ;))

Reactions: 1 user
Repeated courses are averaged. And if you have multiple courses that will fulfill a prereq then they use the highest grade (at least they did when I applied).

Iowa State does use a +/- grading system, with A (4.00) as the highest possible grade. Use this calculator if you want to get an idea of how your GPA will be calculated: http://www.registrar.iastate.edu/gpa-calc/gpaCalculator.html. No guarantees that it will be exact but it should help.

Hopefully that helps you guys some!

(Also... this is slightly nitpicky but meh. We're Iowa State or ISU -- Iowa [aka University of Iowa] is our rival institution ;))

tehe, Michigan State'rs are the same way, WE are not "Michigan" ... I have also noticed this with (and embraced) this with Oregon State w Oregon too :p

Question:
On the supplemental app, in activities for college/high school, does anyone know if they just want activities through the school, or if outside activities count too?

Use this calculator if you want to get an idea of how your GPA will be calculated
This may also help (found it while looking for something else): To convert quarter credits to semester credits, divide the quarter credits by 1.5. (Example: 10 quarter credits = 10/1.5 = 6.67 semester credits)

And wildcat -- pretty sure outside activities would count but you could always email admissions if you're not sure of a particular activity.

Does anyone know how many OOS they take on average? Or what percentage?

Does anyone know how many OOS they take on average? Or what percentage?
The breakdown is roughly 60 IS, 60 OOS, and 25 Nebraska residents (for the ISU/UNL cooperative program), give or take a few students in each category.

Alright Iowa Staters...

ISU is my in-state school

CUM GPA: 3.1
SCI GPA: 3.1
GRE: 1200 (640Q and 560V) writing score I don't know yet, assuming 4.5 or so

Experience:
Peace Corps vol in 2 locations- one working with the UN FAO as Ag Extensionist with local vet, one working as a farm manager / extensionist
Study abroad term that included lots of animal experience
Veterinary intern with Boehringer Ingelheim - swine/research
Worked for several public health vets (field I'm interested in most)
Worked in Virology (research)
3 or 4 random small animal shadowing/volunteer experiences
Worked with a thoroughbred trainer for 4 summers (also shadowed his vet)
4-H experience

Speak fluent Spanish

Good eLORs

Do I stand a chance?

Also applying to Western, SGU, Minnesota, Illinois. Feeling really insecure about my low GPA! :(

I realize this should be in the chances thread, but I thought you all might have better insight

Question:
On the supplemental app, in activities for college/high school, does anyone know if they just want activities through the school, or if outside activities count too?

I was curious about this too. While I did do things through school, I was also involved in other things that I view as more prestigious and more important to who I am.
Also, whats up with the essay question about how Iowa will be good for me? I am guessing they want something more then financial, location, and pre-reqs. lol

I have been poking around their website, but I would love to hear what others like about it?

also does anyone know. When they say that they average repeat courses. does that mean they calculate it this way?
Example: Chemistry Class: 4 credits with an A (4.0) + Chemistry class, 5 credits, with a D (1.0) = Chemistry class, 4.5 credits, with a B (3.0)

or do you think they just add them all into the GPA equally, so for example:
Chemistry: D
Chemistry:A
BIO: A
Etc...
(does that make sense?)

I never quite understood what different schools mean by averaging :confused:

thanks guys!

I was curious about this too. While I did do things through school, I was also involved in other things that I view as more prestigious and more important to who I am.
Also, whats up with the essay question about how Iowa will be good for me? I am guessing they want something more then financial, location, and pre-reqs. lol

I have been poking around their website, but I would love to hear what others like about it?

also does anyone know. When they say that they average repeat courses. does that mean they calculate it this way?
Example: Chemistry Class: 4 credits with an A (4.0) + Chemistry class, 5 credits, with a D (1.0) = Chemistry class, 4.5 credits, with a B (3.0)

or do you think they just add them all into the GPA equally, so for example:
Chemistry: D
Chemistry:A
BIO: A
Etc...
(does that make sense?)

I never quite understood what different schools mean by averaging :confused:

thanks guys!

Generally when you average grades you're taking total grade points divided by credits. So 4*4 = 16 for the A and 5*1=5 for the D, then the average is (16+5)/(4+5) = 2.3

Another question: has anyone emailed them recently and gotten a response? I emailed 2 weeks ago with a pre-req question and haven't gotten a response. I'll just end up calling, but it would be easier through email since I attached syllabuses and such.

Another question: has anyone emailed them recently and gotten a response? I emailed 2 weeks ago with a pre-req question and haven't gotten a response. I'll just end up calling, but it would be easier through email since I attached syllabuses and such.

I emailed them about a pre-req on July 31 and they responded Aug 1st..

Just as I thought. My email just got lost in the shuffle. All is well!

I am staring at my computer trying to think of what basically makes me special.

I am staring at my computer trying to think of what basically makes me special.

We could have a club. I've been staring at my computer screen wondering the same for weeks (obviously not continuously).

We could have a club. I've been staring at my computer screen wondering the same for weeks (obviously not continuously).

I mean I am friendly and outgoing..... I could work that. I tend to make friends easily?

Doesn't help woth the attaching syllabi part, but I've been using the messaging system in the supplemental and status page and getting responses generally the same day or the next day. I've actually been rather impressed with tyat whole status.page and their response times!

Doesn't help woth the attaching syllabi part, but I've been using the messaging system in the supplemental and status page and getting responses generally the same day or the next day. I've actually been rather impressed with tyat whole status.page and their response times!

That's what they ended up having me go through and it worked a lot better. And my pre-req question got approved so I'm good to go!

Just saw that calculated GPAs are on my supplemental status page!

I only have the "what diversity do you contribute" essay left to write from all my notes and then really want to submit to at least have one supplemental submitted. Goal is end of the week to submit and then mail signature sheet!

Just saw that calculated GPAs are on my supplemental status page!

I only have the "what diversity do you contribute" essay left to write from all my notes and then really want to submit to at least have one supplemental submitted. Goal is end of the week to submit and then mail signature sheet!

Honestly, I just need to edit and make sure they don't sound stupid.

Anyone else struggling with the uniqueness essay? I'm having trouble finding anything to talk about that is actually unique and not related to animal/vet experience.