This is how a lot of "buy-ins" work, theyget you dependent on them and the promises of being an "owner". It's like being an "owner" in a timeshare - a lot of times its a scam and they just try an trap you into being a lifelong "owner-associate".
Are those numbers correct? That seems like an awful amount of work for not so much money. If it is true, I can count my blessings and be happy that I went into dentistry.
Just to clarify, I net above 500k in the first year of practice, which took a little over a year of associating. The benefit was that I was able to save up enough cash to build the office from scratch without a practice loan. In my first year of associating, I think I made 250-350k+ from what I recall of my monthly checks (again, I'm not sure of exact figures since it's been so long). By our 4th month of opening, we were in the 100k/month territory and just went up from there.
If you ask me about the military or public health, I wouldn't even consider it unless I got equivalent pay with a lot less patients. Even the loan forgiveness appears paltry to the potential of being a practice owner. I don't think people should consider public health or the military option unless they had a passion for it. Loan forgiveness is tempting, but people can make a lot more by being a practice owner.
People do deserve a mercedes and a 3500 sq foot home early on, that's why they worked hard in dental school, and they just need to work hard to get the lifestyle they think they deserve. There's no point in having a nice car and a large house when you're older, but of course, I always recommend prioritizing opening an office first. Once you have your office open, these material goods are easily attainable. Everyone and their mom seems to have a mercedes C-class or 3 series BMW (ugh). If you're going to be a dentist, aim higher.