Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There will be dual degrees offered at KCU Joplin in time. The clinical rotations will be on par if not stronger than that of KC because of two dedicated teaching hospitals one of which is going to be level 1 trauma. As compared to KC there are not other medical schools taking up clinical training. The current AOA GME residencies are switching over to ACGME down in Joplin and with that there will be research requirements for faculty in those specialties so there will be research opportunities there. Yes you will be missing out on basic science research but with the rigorous curriculum it's very difficult to do western blots day in and day out, there's just not enough time.

There is no focus on rural medicine at Joplin. KCU Joplin is there to enhance and engage a smaller community and so im sure there will be an emphasis on students who are more interested in primary care medicine. However you are not pushed to do it per se.

I do not believe rankings will be integrated across the two campuses.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
This is super helpful. Thank you so much for all your help throughout this cycle!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can any accepted individuals speak to the urgency of the contents of the acceptance packet? I'm out of town for Christmas and should be getting my packet around the 23rd

Does anybody know what programs/resources are available to the Joplin Campus but not available to the KC campus? Seems like most perks about the school are available at KC (dual degrees, research, flexible clinical locations), but not the other way around. Is there a focus on primary care or rural medicine there? Finally, will class ranks be mixed with the KC campus or are those separate? Thank You in advanced!
Sincerely,
The Undertaker
wow

Can any accepted individuals speak to the urgency of the contents of the acceptance packet? I'm out of town for Christmas and should be getting my packet around the 23rd

The only urgent thing is starting your immunizations if you don't already have the hep B vaccine

So I just found documentation of me getting immunized for TDAP, Hep B, MMR, flu, and a TB test within the last two years. You think this documentation is good or will I have to do them again? (Other than the flu shot obviously).

So I just found documentation of me getting immunized for TDAP, Hep B, MMR, flu, and a TB test within the last two years. You think this documentation is good or will I have to do them again? (Other than the flu shot obviously).

I dunno exactly what KCU's policies are, so you'll maybe wanna email or look through the handbook...but I would plan on needing a HBV titer and TB test. The rest should be fine! If you're in the KC area, my employer uses USAWorks or something like that just south of downtown and they're quick and reasonably priced for that stuff.

Does any know after paying the acceptance and matriculation fee when they assign school-linked email accounts?

Does any know after paying the acceptance and matriculation fee when they assign school-linked email accounts?

KCU email accounts are not set up until the week before orientation.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 3 users

Everyone will get a TB test done at orientation so no need to do it elsewhere :)

Other than that, just get the necessary titers they ask for and you should be set. And if you don't have meningococcal within the last 5 years, they may tell you to get that again (even though my doctor argued I was only supposed to get it once but yeah he eventually gave it to me lol)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure your titers are quantitative (have a numerical value representing immunity). I sent them in my previous records and they said they were no good because they were all qualitative (just said negative).

Reactions: 1 users
does it actually take them the 5-7 business days after the acceptance email to send out the email with further information? getting antsy cuz i still haven't received it

does it actually take them the 5-7 business days after the acceptance email to send out the email with further information? getting antsy cuz i still haven't received it

When I called with a question Monday they told me an email would go out to us tomorrow with the matriculation info!

Hi,
Does any of the current students have resources regarding health insurance? I'm losing my parent's coverage next month, and I'm not sure if I should buy insurance here in Minnesota or in Missouri.

Reactions: 2 users
$1,000 due January 17th :(. Why do they do this to us

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know if you can put the acceptance fee on a credit card? Not my first choice, but if possible it is better than losing my spot!

Will KCU help us with living arrangements in Joplin? When will we know?

I picked no preference when I filled out my survey on campus choice... does anyone know if I will still be considered equally at both campuses? I am assuming that the Kansas City campus is more popular and I am not interviewing until the end of January.

I picked no preference when I filled out my survey on campus choice... does anyone know if I will still be considered equally at both campuses? I am assuming that the Kansas City campus is more popular and I am not interviewing until the end of January.

If you haven't interviewed yet I'd give admissions a call when they get back and ask if you can change your preference to KC!

If you haven't interviewed yet I'd give admissions a call when they get back and ask if you can change your preference to KC!

Thanks! Do you know if that would lessen my chances of getting an acceptance since I would only be considered for one campus instead of two?

Thanks! Do you know if that would lessen my chances of getting an acceptance since I would only be considered for one campus instead of two?

They still consider you for both but they take in your preference before deciding which campus to accept you at.

Anyone know of apartments near KC campus besides Century Towers? With rent between 400-600 dollars a month?

Anyone know of apartments near KC campus besides Century Towers? With rent between 400-600 dollars a month?

You'll be hard pressed to find something near the school (1 bedroom) for that price that isn't in the rough neighborhoods. Probably more luck in a 2-3 bedroom, but again if you want something really close to school be cautious as it's not a super nice/safe area.

Anyone else planning on living in CT? I was initially under the impression that the building matches you with a roommate the way college dorms do, but I called and found out that they don't help you out with that whatsoever. You have to find your own roommate. If you apply for a two bedroom apartment and get it, but don't have a roommate, they'll just make you pay for the room yourself.

Anyways, I'm looking for a roommate. I'm a guy. Send me a private message if you're interested.

Hi everyone! Does anyone know how much time KCU gives its students to study for comlex and usmle? Aka when does kcu students finish their classes/exams in second year?

More than plenty of time.

The whole curriculum is geared towards preparing you for boards. You could honestly take the test once 2nd year ends and still pass (albeit with a less than competitive score). We had an avg of like 550+ with only 2 first time takers failing.

Hopefully c/o 2019 does just as well if not better.

Reactions: 2 users
@AlteredScale will the merger have any effect on KCU's affiliated residency programs? I know that they have/had an AOA Ortho affiliated residency in MO will they continue to be affiliated or will that kind of go away?

@AlteredScale will the merger have any effect on KCU's affiliated residency programs? I know that they have/had an AOA Ortho affiliated residency in MO will they continue to be affiliated or will that kind of go away?
I believe they (St. Marys in Blue Springs) have initial ACGME accreditation for ortho, as far as i know.

I believe they (St. Marys in Blue Springs) have initial ACGME accreditation for ortho, as far as i know.

I was going through the ones they have on the
KCU website and saw that yesterday! I guess my main question is will they be affiliated with KCU post merger or no?

I was going through the ones they have on the
KCU website and saw that yesterday! I guess my main question is will they be affiliated with KCU post merger or no?

I'm not sure if its affiliated with kcu officially. But because of location and distance a lot of KCU grads still end up going there!

So I was accepted here and am pending on a couple schools that offer clinical ultrasound training, which I think would be a valuable tool to throw in the box. Is there some alternative way to receive similar training during/after my time at KCU?

Does anyone know if the TDAP booster immunization needs to be within the past five or ten years? On the first page of he immunization form it says within five years but on the form where we write in the dates for all our immunizations it says within the past ten

So I was accepted here and am pending on a couple schools that offer clinical ultrasound training, which I think would be a valuable tool to throw in the box. Is there some alternative way to receive similar training during/after my time at KCU?

We learn ultrasound during our cardio block for a lab. It's not something we do every block but we are tested on it as well.

Does anyone know if the TDAP booster immunization needs to be within the past five or ten years? On the first page of he immunization form it says within five years but on the form where we write in the dates for all our immunizations it says within the past ten

I would play it safe and stick with the "within 5 years" however just to be sure I would call admissions and ask them.

Ultrasound training in medical school is highly overrated, I wouldn't base a school decision simply on that.

I would play it safe and stick with the "within 5 years" however just to be sure I would call admissions and ask them.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Tried calling but realized admissions is closed for holidays and I'm already at the doctors office lol. I'll just get it to be safe

For the residents I work with, they get a month of ultrasound training. So basically for 1 month, they perform every ultrasound in the ER. If you dont get the most ultrasound experience in med school, it isn't that big of a deal

Good Day! I have a quick question. When trying to submit acceptance fee which year do I put in "Incoming Class Year?" Thanks!

I see, so it is not Class of 2021? I am just thinking too much I guess hah
Thanks!

You bet! If I don't get an email saying they got my payment sometime next week then I'll be worried that it should've been 2021 haha