Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This may be out of topic but...What is the heaviest dumbells that KCU-KC's gym has? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
This may be out of topic but...What is the heaviest dumbells that KCU-KC's gym has? Thanks!
Their gym looked very small. The only reason I would've chosen DMU over KCU haha

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you applying ortho?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

What is the average bench/squat for a matriculating DO ortho resident? Do we have to be stronger than our MD counterparts? If we do incline instead of flat, do we get brownie points?

Reactions: 5 users
What is the average bench/squat for a matriculating DO ortho resident? Do we have to be stronger than our MD counterparts? If we do incline instead of flat, do we get brownie points?
If your bench isn't greater than your step 1 score you shouldn't even apply

Reactions: 9 users
Their gym looked very small. The only reason I would've chose DMU over KCU haha
The gym isn't too bad. I do wish that they have dumbells over the 100s though haha. But I think its too much to ask since a lot of gyms don't have those either.

What is the waiting period post interview? thanks.
Was about 9 days I wanna say but I think they were rushing to get them out before winter break for my interview group

Reactions: 1 user

Yes, this has come up multiple times. If you take a look at the things that PD's look for, usually it's Step 1 first. However, if you are ortho applicant, they want to see your bench listed first (and make sure you list if it is a smith machine bench vs. free weights vs. barbells).

MD ortho applicants can use the Smith machine and push more weight, but since we are DO applicants, we have to use free weights and push MORE weight to be seen as equal.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So what's the common opinion on Century Towers? Considering the 1 bedroom and putting down the deposit. It seems decent enough and convenient. Any cons?

So what's the common opinion on Century Towers? Considering the 1 bedroom and putting down the deposit. It seems decent enough and convenient. Any cons?

It's basically a dorm for the school. I've heard of some annoyances like pest stuff and being in an area where you can't really do much like walk around (you have to remember that CT is still east of Troost Ave, so pretty ghetto).

I think everyone stays there and toughs it out because it's hella cheap and accessible to the school. Fun areas of Downtown are literally 5minutes away.

The next closes places are Market Station apartments and apartments at the River Marker. A bit pricier but it's by a local market and a ton of cool shops and coffee shops.

Across the MO river is CityView. Great place for pets and it's a quaint and quiet little area. Really nice if you want to feel separated from the school but distance isn't bad (takes be 5-10 minutes to get to school, some bike or bus it from CityView to school as well).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Uh oh it looks like I may be forced into going ortho on the account of my HUGE bench press numbers

Speaking of bench press is there a Golds gym in KC?

The curriculum gets you the scores. I think it comes without saying that there's no guarantee that a curriculum will get you a 260 but so far it's done wonders for most of the class that is gone through it.

As for research, as long as you put in the effort, it's there. I went out of my way to get research done (beyond the KCU campus) and made sure that those I was reaching out to could trust me in getting the work done. The alumni base of KCU is huge and so there's a lot of opps to do research and network.

And this is just a little caveat: a lot of people first year thought they were going into urology, optho, plastics, thoracic surgery, ENT, and announced pretty Willy nilly to everyone. Those expectations change when you start to realize you are in the middle of your class and not the top 10%. So make sure you keep an open mind to other less competitive specialties. If you can ONLY see yourself doing some specific surgical subspecialty than it's best to just reapply only MD or find a strong public DO that has the department you are interested in.

@AlteredScale your insight is always spot on!

I got accepted into Joplin, and as you might know, there are no research opportunities there.
I have a few questions on ways to find research opportunities, can I PM you?

Thanks!

For past/current students that lived in Century Towers:

The woman I spoke to at CT said when the 1st and 2nd years move out they offer tons of their old stuff up for grabs/sale on a FB page and usually students can get 100% of the furniture they need from this. How true is this? I'd love to be able to avoid renting a moving truck for a 10 hour drive.. that sounds miserable.

For past/current students that lived in Century Towers:

The woman I spoke to at CT said when the 1st and 2nd years move out they offer tons of their old stuff up for grabs/sale on a FB page and usually students can get 100% of the furniture they need from this. How true is this? I'd love to be able to avoid renting a moving truck for a 10 hour drive.. that sounds miserable.

Absolutely, 100% true! I moved from Florida to here with only things that could fit in my four-door car (so no furniture!) I ended up buying a bed, couch, TV, desk, bookshelf, and a few textbooks from people moving out and CT has storage lockers on site so I had everyone put everything into one locker under my name, and when I got here at the end of July, I just had to move things from the locker to my apt (on the same floor). Definitely don't buy anything ahead of time!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Did anybody see that KCU is now offering a doctorate of clinical psychology? So will they change the name to Kansas City University of Medicine and Bioscience and Psychology?

Reactions: 1 users
Post interview waitlisted applicant here - I interviewed back in September. Has anybody on the waitlist heard anything? It looks as if the waitlist didn't start moving until April last cycle, but just want to see if anybody has heard anything otherwise!

What does a typical daily/weekly schedule look like here for an M1?

Thoughts on the new HCA Midwest Health Hospital system and KCU rotation agreement?? Looks like an awesome new program, but I'm curious if it'll be preceptor or wards based.

Thoughts on the new HCA Midwest Health Hospital system and KCU rotation agreement?? Looks like an awesome new program, but I'm curious if it'll be preceptor or wards based.

It will be a mix. Some HCA systems have GME and without a doubt KCU will try and open more residencies there. So for the first few groups of Med students who rotate through ca it'll be much more preceptor based. But at least more students can stay in KC!

Will be declining my seat here =( . This school is absolutely amazing though!

It will be a mix. Some HCA systems have GME and without a doubt KCU will try and open more residencies there. So for the first few groups of Med students who rotate through ca it'll be much more preceptor based. But at least more students can stay in KC!

This is awesome news! Hoping they open more residency spots in KC with a little KCU leaning bias haha

Reactions: 2 users
Those titer measurements for the immunization form are some serious business. I got my last booster today and I can't get the final titer measurement until Feb. 27. I started working on this in early December!

Just something to keep in mind for people putting them off... they really do take a long time in some cases.

Those titer measurements for the immunization form are some serious business. I got my last booster today and I can't get the final titer measurement until Feb. 27. I started working on this in early December!

Just something to keep in mind for people putting them off... they really do take a long time in some cases.
I am not sure how but I got really lucky and they all came back within range the only thing that sucked was 3 immunizations at once made for a Nasty fever

I am not sure how but I got really lucky and they all came back within range the only thing that sucked was 3 immunizations at once made for a Nasty fever

Right? I got two on my first trip and I felt like I had mono the next 24 hours.

So what is KCUs policy on community college credits? My girlfriend is considering applying to med school in a few years. She has most of the pre reqs except Physics 1/2 and orgo 1/2. She is a clinical laboratory science major so she has a lot of upper division bio credits (micro, Biochem, pathogenic micro, immunology). Should she take the rest of her pre reqs at community college or at a university?

this makes me worried, I couldn't make an appointment with a PCP until Feb 1st. Hopefully all of my titers are normal :eek:

this makes me worried, I couldn't make an appointment with a PCP until Feb 1st. Hopefully all of my titers are normal :eek:
You should be fine I called the admissions office after my Hep B titer came back negative (I had the series when I was 6 months old and the hep b vaccine is usually only effective for 20 years) They said they just need the failed titer on file and for me to start a second series for hep B and follow up with a second titer 6 weeks after the series is complete. Will it be a pain doing all of that? yes. Will it affect my matriculation? No.

Reactions: 1 users
You should be fine I called the admissions office after my Hep B titer came back negative (I had the series when I was 6 months old and the hep b vaccine is usually only effective for 20 years) They said they just need the failed titer on file and for me to start a second series for hep B and follow up with a second titer 6 weeks after the series is complete. Will it be a pain doing all of that? yes. Will it affect my matriculation? No.
Oh that's good to know, thank you!

So what is KCUs policy on community college credits? My girlfriend is considering applying to med school in a few years. She has most of the pre reqs except Physics 1/2 and orgo 1/2. She is a clinical laboratory science major so she has a lot of upper division bio credits (micro, Biochem, pathogenic micro, immunology). Should she take the rest of her pre reqs at community college or at a university?

I did all my med school pre reqs at a junior college. I transferred to my state university to finish my Bachelors. Shouldn't be a problem for your girlfriend since I already was accepted. You can call admissions if you have more specific questions.

This is exactly my situation. They said want the second titer before the end of the fall semester.

Rejected pre-interview with low GPA and a 512 MCAT. Non traditional URM.

Accepted to their SMP, though! Unless I get into another med school before the summer, looks like I'll be moving back to KC!

Hi might I ask what was Low? I am trying to figure out if I should waste my money applying their as I am a URM as well and it seems as though they barely accept any URMs.

Hi might I ask what was Low? I am trying to figure out if I should waste my money applying their as I am a URM as well and it seems as though they barely accept any URMs.

Around 3.0 cumulative uGPA. I have close to 250 semester hours and 3 degrees when it's all said and done. It would take another 257.1 hours of all A's for me to raise my uGPA to 3.5. :/

I'm obviously pretty non-trad. That will be even lower with grade replacement gone.