Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have been accepted to three schools so far. (WVSOM, Row-SOM and ARCOM). But I really want to go KUCCOM because it is cheaper and closer to me.
That's awesome! Would I be correct in assuming that you'd go to Rowan if KCU doesn't work out? I think with your GPAs you should be in good shape as long as you do well in your interview. Idk if it helped me or not, but I also talked about how KCU was close to me (5 hours) and that I have family within 3 hours of KC. If you've been accepted to 3 other places you'll more than likely crush your interview so keep the faith!

Members don't see this ad.

That's awesome! Would I be correct in assuming that you'd go to Rowan if KCU doesn't work out? I think with your GPAs you should be in good shape as long as you do well in your interview. Idk if it helped me or not, but I also talked about how KCU was close to me (5 hours) and that I have family within 3 hours of KC. If you've been accepted to 3 other places you'll more than likely crush your interview so keep the faith!
I think the interview went well in those schools. ROWAN is very expensive for out of state people. I think I might end up in ARCOM if KCU does not work out because it is way cheaper than ROWAN. KC is a 6-hour drive for me and I also have a family at KC. I will mention both of them at the Interview. Hopefully, that would help me!

Was able to move my interview to 1/19. Much better than March!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the interview went well in those schools. ROWAN is very expensive for out of state people. I think I might end up in ARCOM if KCU does not work out because it is way cheaper than ROWAN. KC is a 6-hour drive for me and I also have a family at KC. I will mention both of them at the Interview. Hopefully, that would help me!

Just an aside, I don't care how much it costs don't choose a brand new school over a state school. Also 60k isn't that much for OOS.

For your original question I think you obviously have something interesting about your app and have the acceptances to show for it. I wouldn't worry about your MCAT going into the KC interview and would just be yourself and talk about the things that make you unique!

Edit: Here I was being supportive and my stupid auto correct turned my wouldn't into a would.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Just an aside, I don't care how much it costs don't choose a brand new school over a state school. Also 60k isn't that much for OOS.

For your original question I think you obviously have something interesting about your app and have the acceptances to show for it. I would worry about your MCAT going into the KC interview and would just be yourself and talk about the things that make you unique!

I think OP shouldn't stress too much about their MCAT, as KCU is closed file with only access to secondary.

I think OP shouldn't stress too much about their MCAT, as KCU is closed file with only access to secondary.

The interview Is closed file however the final decision is based on all parts of the application including academics. The caveat here is that if kcu has provided an interview it is because they believe one can handle the rigors of this curriculum.

Reactions: 1 users

Yeah I didn't mean to say would. Nice catch. Being given an interview obviously shows that they think he could be a good fit!

For your original question I think you obviously have something interesting about your app and have the acceptances to show for it. I wouldn't worry about your MCAT going into the KC interview and would just be yourself and talk about the things that make you unique!

Edit: Here I was being supportive and my stupid auto correct turned my wouldn't into a would.
Thanks for the wise words. I am glad that it is a closed file. I should than rock the interview.

Is Kansas City well known for any other types of foods besides BBQ?

Maybe not "well known" but there are a lot of really good sushi and Thai places that I've found.

The only thing that is lacking are taco shops. I'm talking real taco shops. Coming from San Diego it's really hard to find legit Mexican food here that lives up to what we are used to haha.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Maybe not "well known" but there are a lot of really good sushi and Thai places that I've found.

The only thing that is lacking are taco shops. I'm talking real taco shops. Coming from San Diego it's really hard to find legit Mexican food here that lives up to what we are used to haha.

Please share! I'm always looking for good sushi and Thai places to try!

As for tacos, I like Carnercia El Torito 2 (6126 Independence Ave, $1 ea) or Taco Express (6520 Independence Ave, $1.50 ea). The carne asada, al pastor and lengua are excellent. Taco express has better service though. It's not the same as California (I'm from the Bay Area) but it's the closest and most authentic I've found. There's also a nicer sit down restaurant right next to Carniveria El Torito 2 that's good too.

Please share! I'm always looking for good sushi and Thai places to try!

As for tacos, I like Carnercia El Torito 2 (6126 Independence Ave, $1 ea) or Taco Express (6520 Independence Ave, $1.50 ea). The carne asada, al pastor and lengua are excellent. Taco express has better service though. It's not the same as California (I'm from the Bay Area) but it's the closest and most authentic I've found. There's also a nicer sit down restaurant right next to Carniveria El Torito 2 that's good too.

Nice! I'll have to try those places out! @AlteredScale did find a pretty good authentic street taco place out in Olathe called Bonito Michoacan, but I am more looking for a place that has carne fries, Cali burritos, etc. which we haven't found yet.

For sushi, Niji Sushi & Steak (Olathe) and Sake Lounge (Olathe) are both really good and relatively cheap compared to some other places I've been to. Drunken Fish also has some pretty good sushi, but it's really expensive.

For Thai, Pad-Thai Restaurant (Overland Park) and Mai Thai (Overland Park) are both really good.

I know that all these places I am naming are at least a 20 minute drive from downtown KC, but that's where I live and go to dinner most of the time haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice! I'll have to try those places out! @AlteredScale did find a pretty good authentic street taco place out in Olathe called Bonito Michoacan, but I am more looking for a place that has carne fries, Cali burritos, etc. which we haven't found yet.

For sushi, Niji Sushi & Steak (Olathe) and Sake Lounge (Olathe) are both really good and relatively cheap compared to some other places I've been to. Drunken Fish also has some pretty good sushi, but it's really expensive.

For Thai, Pad-Thai Restaurant (Overland Park) and Mai Thai (Overland Park) are both really good.

I know that all these places I am naming are at least a 20 minute drive from downtown KC, but that's where I live and go to dinner most of the time haha.

I haven't tried to order carne asada fries or a Cali burrito so I wouldn't know but they have legit tortas and tacos.

Now you're just making me hungry for Lolitas! Haha.

If you have one Mexican food place to suggest for me to try Saturday night after I look at apartments which one would you suggest? These all sound so good!

Lolita's is west coast unfortunately. I would try anywhere on southwest blvd or if you're really feeling some pretty legit Mexican food (and this is coming from someone from San Diego) I would 100% go to California Taco shop.

Lolita's is west coast unfortunately. I would try anywhere on southwest blvd or if you're really feeling some pretty legit Mexican food (and this is coming from someone from San Diego) I would 100% go to California Taco shop.

Haha definitely misread them. I will for sure be going to California Taco Shop then! Oh quick question, would it be frowned upon if I took a quick walk around KCU Saturday to get some pics of campus? Didn't really have time on interview day.

Haha definitely misread them. I will for sure be going to California Taco Shop then! Oh quick question, would it be frowned upon if I took a quick walk around KCU Saturday to get some pics of campus? Didn't really have time on interview day.

Get the San Diego burrito and just add salsa Fresca and Guac and you'll have a Cali Burrito pretty damn close to what you'd get in San Diego!

And nope! If you go to the admin building and ask them to walk around they should give you a visitors badge to let you take some pics.

Reactions: 1 users
Get the San Diego burrito and just add salsa Fresca and Guac and you'll have a Cali Burrito pretty damn close to what you'd get in San Diego!

And nope! If you go to the admin building and ask them to walk around they should give you a visitors badge to let you take some pics.

The admin building is the one we met in for interview day right? Or is it the old children's hospital building?

Anyone here going to interview tomorrow? If so, see you there:) Take a deep breath and have fun tomorrow!

I'm gonna have to find you guys that are good at ping pong. I liked the tables and I'm not too shabby so wanna see what you guys got lol

I'm gonna have to find you guys that are good at ping pong. I liked the tables and I'm not too shabby so wanna see what you guys got lol

I've said this before, and I'll say it again:
ImageUploadedBySDN1484775133.943786.jpg

Oh here we go! A challenger!! Synaptic doctah, higherprimate, and I are def in the top tier for pong. I would say there's 3 or 4 others in that pool. So you have about 7 to beat if you want to be the leader here ;)

Oh here we go! A challenger!! Synaptic doctah, higherprimate, and I are def in the top tier for pong. I would say there's 3 or 4 others in that pool. So you have about 7 to beat if you want to be the leader here ;)

Challenge accepted haha. Hopefully my college career in tennis prepared me for you guys

II!!!! I was not expecting this, wow. Complete on 11/3.

Reactions: 5 users

@SynapticDoctah have you tried taqueria dos de oros in south KC? A bit of a drive from campus but so so good

@SynapticDoctah have you tried taqueria dos de oros in south KC? A bit of a drive from campus but so so good

I've tried this place. It's ALMOST as good as the tacos at Bonito Michoacan in OP and west of KC downtown. Best part of Bonito is they have all their salsas and what not for sale in bulk there and they have an awesome mexican bakery to book up some yummy stuff on the way out!

Do you know why KCU uses a letter grade system when many medical schools use a pass/fail system?

Do you know why that is?

A lot of MD schools are letter grade too though. Or something like H, HP, P, F which is just the same thing. It's not like all MD schools are true P/F and DO schools aren't.