KCOM 2004

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snickers

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone out there been accepted to KCOM yet? I recently sent in my deposit ($1,000--ouch) and was wondering who else was planning to attend. It seemed to me to be a great school. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

You need to track down Mr. KCOM himself, "Old Man Dave." He should have the answers you desire.

------------------
DocGibby
MSUCOM class of 2004

Mr. KCOM huh? LMAO! Thanks for the new title!

Personally, I feel it's a great school! It has it's faults, it's not perfect....NO school is perfect and if one tries to sell itself as such, run like HELL to the nearest exit!

K'Ville...well, it's an adjustment, especially if you hail from a major metro area. But, it's all in how you look at it. Myself, I see it as offering minimal distractions to my studies and an excellent opportunity to develop real bonds with my classmates. It seems as though our geographic isolation and small-townness lends itself to extensive comeraderie within the school.

Welcome and congratulations!! Whatever the case, make the choice that fits YOU the best!

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, the town was pretty isolated, but I thought it was pretty cool. I'm from a town about the same size so it wasn't too bad. I really enjoyed my visit.

Has it been difficult adjusting to med school life? I'm sure the amount of studying is tremendous. What about OMT? Is it difficult to learn? The ambassadors said that only M-II's could give tours because the first years were at a frustrating point in the curriculum and may give a negative impression.

Hey, what I want to know is how does "OLD Man Dave" have you guys all tricked so that you think he knows what is going on around here? Please????

Just kidding. Congratulations on your acceptance to KCOM and on choosing to attend here. My one piece of advice to add is this: Sometimes things are going to happen and the process is going to frustrate you and you will say to yourself why did I chose this place. When that happens try to relax (try is the key word) it won't take long until something will happen to remind you why you chose KCOM and are darn glad you did.

------------------
Carrie
KCOM '03

OT&M could easily be perceived as the boon or the bane of KCOM. Most schools only have 1 guru of OTM...KCOM's ENTIRE faculty are gurus! The least significant one's credentials read like a who's who in osteopathy. All those lovely books we must purchase...many of the authors are our faculty!

That said, you are amongst the movers and shakers of our profession. That's wonderful! Plus, you get to learn from the ones who literally worte the book(s).

OTOH, you get that many 'experts' in a room and you get HUGE disagreements on "how" it's done. They all know the "best" way. Honestly, it gets confusing, especially when you have no idea what your doing...as in just starting out.

BUT, once you begin to grasp it all [so they tell me], having these guys around becomes awesome. Honestly, I feel as though things are beginning to click for me. No longer do I leave OT&M more confused than when I went in. Dr. Joy, an OTM resident, REALLY helped me tremendously when she managed my asthma/pneumonia last month.

All in all, I know I made the best choice for me in choosing to come here. Although, I must admit, I miss living in an urban/suburban area...never had cows, plants and sheep for neighbors before!!!!

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Check out a new site about KCOM
www.KCOMstudents.org

It is owned and run by KCOM students; not connected to or sponsored by KCOM itself. This way, you get the real story about a great place!!

------------------
Old Man Dave
KCOM, Class of 2003