LECOM-Bradenton Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's not that it's incomplete, but there are multiple people in some spots. Three people from Bradenton matched IM at my residency program, for instance. It is listed only once. There are quite a few places where multiple people matched to the same residency program and it is only listed once. I believe there are some programs where more than three Bradenton students matched.

Ah, that makes more sense, thanks for clearing that up. Seems like it wouldn't take too much effort for the school to put the total numbers up...but no big deal. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just withdrew acceptance, I hope it goes to someone on the waiting list hoping to get in. It took me three application cycles and a post-bac but this year was finally my year. If you want to go into medicine just work hard and keep at it, you'll get there!!

Just withdrew acceptance, I hope it goes to someone on the waiting list hoping to get in. It took me three application cycles and a post-bac but this year was finally my year. If you want to go into medicine just work hard and keep at it, you'll get there!!

Congrats jsarcona!!! I admire your perseverance, I am sure you will be an amazing physician! Thanks for letting us know about your withdrawal.

Hi all,

I'm currently looking for an apartment in Bradenton, Florida, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any apartment complexes in/near Bradenton where the majority of the medical students lived. Any input would be great. Thanks so much!

Last edited:
quick question for other accepted students:

if I'm not planning on doing anything with/using financial aid, is there still paperwork I need to fill out? I keep getting e-mails telling me I haven't filled out fafsa and its making me nervous

Also, are there current students out there that can do a quick pros and cons list of the apartments in the area. I was planning on signing a lease in the upcoming weeks (I'm mainly deciding between Springs at braden river and Yacht Club). Any advice or input is appreciated.

Thanks,

if I'm not planning on doing anything with/using financial aid, is there still paperwork I need to fill out? I keep getting e-mails telling me I haven't filled out fafsa and its making me nervous

Also, are there current students out there that can do a quick pros and cons list of the apartments in the area. I was planning on signing a lease in the upcoming weeks (I'm mainly deciding between Springs at braden river and Yacht Club). Any advice or input is appreciated.

Thanks,

I think you are fine not using financial aid. The school is not going to care where your money comes from, they only care that they are getting paid. I would assume that the majority of students utilize some sort of financial aid and that is why the blanket emails are sent out. I would contact LECOM directly and confirm that you are in the clear.
If you have any money left over I am willing to be adopted! :)

I was told that every student must fill out fafsa. Later you decline it. You will have to fill it out every year. Call lecom and talk to the financial aid people.

Honestly, I would probably just recommend filling out FAFSA anyway, even if you don't plan on taking out any loans. It should only take a few minutes and God forbid something should change in the future where you find yourself needing to take out a loan then it's already filled out. You can just refuse any loan you don't want.

Thanks,
no brainer, yacht club. get a 2nd story apt that overlooks the golf course. good view and quiet for all the home studying you'll be doing. springs is way too packed and can be very noisy at times.

Not trying to be a bother, but I have a very important question....

I will be able to receive a decision on my application before having completed (and received grades for) all of my pre-req classes, correct? My pre-health advisor made no mention of the fact that I have not finished physics yet. I took AP physics in high school and due to prior scheduling conflicts, I will not be taking it until my senior year (this coming year). I'm taking one part of physics this summer, and the other part during the school year.

Additionally, I have a 1 credit orgo lab to complete (just one semester) that I will also not be completing until senior year. Some comments were made back in the beginning of this forum that concerned me regarding this matter. I mean, my understanding was that I would recieve an acceptance/rejection based on everything in my application and then update them when I receive my semester grades -- basically, you receive an acceptance and it is understood that you must complete all requirements before matriculation. Is this correct, or am I mistaken on something? If I am mistaken, that is a *big* deal and I need to know ASAP. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not trying to be a bother, but I have a very important question....

I will be able to receive a decision on my application before having completed (and received grades for) all of my pre-req classes, correct? My pre-health advisor made no mention of the fact that I have not finished physics yet. I took AP physics in high school and due to prior scheduling conflicts, I will not be taking it until my senior year (this coming year). I'm taking one part of physics this summer, and the other part during the school year.

Additionally, I have a 1 credit orgo lab to complete (just one semester) that I will also not be completing until senior year. Some comments were made back in the beginning of this forum that concerned me regarding this matter. I mean, my understanding was that I would recieve an acceptance/rejection based on everything in my application and then update them when I receive my semester grades -- basically, you receive an acceptance and it is understood that you must complete all requirements before matriculation. Is this correct, or am I mistaken on something? If I am mistaken, that is a *big* deal and I need to know ASAP. Thanks!

You are correct. I was waitlisted here and accepted at LECOM-Erie in the fall of last year without finishing orgo 2. They told me I just needed to pass the course before I arrive there for medical school. I took orgo 2 this semester and it has not been a problem. They will judge you on your grades and GPA so far in college and not really worry about what your missing during the time of the interview.

You are correct. I was waitlisted here and accepted at LECOM-Erie in the fall of last year without finishing orgo 2. They told me I just needed to pass the course before I arrive there for medical school. I took orgo 2 this semester and it has not been a problem. They will judge you on your grades and GPA so far in college and not really worry about what your missing during the time of the interview.

You are amazing - thank you so much :) *phew* huge load off. I was having a mini-breakdown in the course of one evening. Thanks again!!

Do any accepted students know where to send our final transcripts from undergrad? I just graduated and my transcript is finalized now. Should I send it to Annette or is there some other person for that?

Do any accepted students know where to send our final transcripts from undergrad? I just graduated and my transcript is finalized now. Should I send it to Annette or is there some other person for that?

My schools online form didn't provide enough space to enter all the information. So I put Office of Admissions, LECOM Bradenton, and then the address. When I check the portal, it states the transcripts were received. So I assume it doesn't matter if you address to a specific person or not.

I'm pretty sure I am buying a Macbook for my new laptop. I know LECOM is super against them, but I have heard that many students have them anyways. I just want to confirm that the no macs "rule" is more of a suggestion before I buy one. Anybody want to confirm this for me?

I'm pretty sure I am buying a Macbook for my new laptop. I know LECOM is super against them, but I have heard that many students have them anyways. I just want to confirm that the no macs "rule" is more of a suggestion before I buy one. Anybody want to confirm this for me?

I can't tell you with certainty that everything will be fine if you buy a mac, because I don't have any idea if they have something new and crazy planned. But, I will tell you that a lot of people in the class of 2013 & 2014 (including me) have Macs, and I'm not aware of anyone having any issues using a Mac at school. If something new and crazy happens, and you're tech-savvy enough, you could always use Boot Camp and dual boot with Windows.

The last time I talked to the IT people was when they gave me the wi-fi password at orientation in my first year. I had a few friends with Windows Laptops who the IT department tried to help when they had issues, but I can't remember how much help they were.

Given that all you need your computer for at school is your typical email, web browser, .doc and powerpoint file stuff, I have no idea why it would make any difference what kind of computer you have. If they could tell you why they're so insistent on Windows, then maybe their "requirement" would make sense... but right now, I don't get it.

The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days.

A) Probably not a good sign

B) How nerve-wracking!

They typically call you with an acceptance. I would call the admissions office, it's not a big deal. They expect students will call with the results of their interview. What were your stats? PM me if you want.

I got accepted on Wednesday from the waitlist! I was in the process of reapplying, but now I'm almost positive I'll be here this fall. Deposit due date is next Tuesday, guess I'll be overnighting it.

ps- GO MAVS!!!

I can't tell you with certainty that everything will be fine if you buy a mac, because I don't have any idea if they have something new and crazy planned. But, I will tell you that a lot of people in the class of 2013 & 2014 (including me) have Macs, and I'm not aware of anyone having any issues using a Mac at school. If something new and crazy happens, and you're tech-savvy enough, you could always use Boot Camp and dual boot with Windows.

The last time I talked to the IT people was when they gave me the wi-fi password at orientation in my first year. I had a few friends with Windows Laptops who the IT department tried to help when they had issues, but I can't remember how much help they were.

Given that all you need your computer for at school is your typical email, web browser, .doc and powerpoint file stuff, I have no idea why it would make any difference what kind of computer you have. If they could tell you why they're so insistent on Windows, then maybe their "requirement" would make sense... but right now, I don't get it.

Yep, I have a mac as well. No problems. I don't know why they say this about macs. It makes it seem like there's some sort of special high tech thing we do with our computers at school... we don't. The IT guys will still help you if you have a problem.

A good friend of mine got accepted off the waitlist today. Keep your head up yall

Sorry if this was mentioned before, but does LECOM-B have a deferment policy? I want to do a one year masters program that supplements my degree and I would most likely be able to finish my research that I've done throughout my senior year which will most likely result in a publication. I think it would help with residency apps as well since I believe there are very limited opportunities for research at LECOM-B (as far as I know).

Sorry if this was mentioned before, but does LECOM-B have a deferment policy? I want to do a one year masters program that supplements my degree and I would most likely be able to finish my research that I've done throughout my senior year which will most likely result in a publication. I think it would help with residency apps as well since I believe there are very limited opportunities for research at LECOM-B (as far as I know).
don't sweat the research thing unless you're dying to get a MPH. for publication/ERAS reasons you can always do it during summer or one of your rotations in 3-4 yr or tag along on someone else to get your name for residency. plus it'll be like having a month off extra for vacation per se. but yes there isn't much (or any) research going on when I left there last yr. contact dr maradi at LECOM-br. he's the research person that would know the ins/out of the research game. and dr ferritti who is the clinical rotation dean. if I remember right he's the only one that allowed time off, change in schedule.....etc. once you start MS3 yr

don't sweat the research thing unless you're dying to get a MPH. for publication/ERAS reasons you can always do it during summer or one of your rotations in 3-4 yr or tag along on someone else to get your name for residency. plus it'll be like having a month off extra for vacation per se. but yes there isn't much (or any) research going on when I left there last yr. contact dr maradi at LECOM-br. he's the research person that would know the ins/out of the research game. and dr ferritti who is the clinical rotation dean. if I remember right he's the only one that allowed time off, change in schedule.....etc. once you start MS3 yr

Can someone give some insight on PBL reading assignments and picking subjects that we would like to be on the test. I read from last year's thread that we can't read ahead of time bc we don't know exactly what chapters are gonna be necessary for a particular case and that sometimes people end up reading stuff that is not going to be tested at all????Please can someone explain this better?

Can someone give some insight on PBL reading assignments and picking subjects that we would like to be on the test. I read from last year's thread that we can't read ahead of time bc we don't know exactly what chapters are gonna be necessary for a particular case and that sometimes people end up reading stuff that is not going to be tested at all????Please can someone explain this better?
here's the short version.....topics like chest pain has a ton of different readings from diff books. it's damn near endless in which direction it goes. you only want to stick with 7-8 TESTABLE chapters for each case. your group may feel that studying the biochem/ cholestrol aspect is more important than neurological/coronary art anatomy so therefore you'll choose more chapters in biochem vs physio. eventually with all the cases, you'll cover a majority of the chapters, some even twice. you'll miss a few chapters. that's the way it is. I remember in my 1st yr we chose no anatomy at all ! yes you will need to read stuff that is relevant to the case but will not be tested. at least not this time if your group doesn't chose it. but be warned. on the exam there are about 40 q's which are general, only case relevant q's which you may or may not have read up on. ie; lab values

here's the short version.....topics like chest pain has a ton of different readings from diff books. it's damn near endless in which direction it goes. you only want to stick with 7-8 TESTABLE chapters for each case. your group may feel that studying the biochem/ cholestrol aspect is more important than neurological/coronary art anatomy so therefore you'll choose more chapters in biochem vs physio. eventually with all the cases, you'll cover a majority of the chapters, some even twice. you'll miss a few chapters. that's the way it is. I remember in my 1st yr we chose no anatomy at all ! yes you will need to read stuff that is relevant to the case but will not be tested. at least not this time if your group doesn't chose it. but be warned. on the exam there are about 40 q's which are general, only case relevant q's which you may or may not have read up on. ie; lab values

Thanks a lot Msmentor! Do you know if LECOM refunds you any part of the $1500 deposit if we decide to decline our seat?

Thanks a lot Msmentor! Do you know if LECOM refunds you any part of the $1500 deposit if we decide to decline our seat?

I'm pretty sure no DO school refunds any part of the deposit if you choose to decline your seat.

I can definitely tell you, it's a no refund policy and I beleive that's for every school. someone's gotta pay the window washer

....and there are lots of glass windows in LECOM-B :laugh:

Has anyone received a secondary from LECOM-B yet?

Help!!!

I interviewed at LECOM-B in January. I loved my interview and my time in Bradenton. Unfortunately, I was placed as an alternate. Since that time, I was accepted to WesternU in Oregon, which I have planned on for 5 months. Well, today Ron Shively called me today and offered me a spot at LECOM-B. I'm torn as to what I should do. Ron needs a decision by tomorrow morning. Can you accepted folks refreshen my memory about LECOM-B. Why did you choose it? What makes it great for you? Any help/advice (really soon, by the way :) ) would be appreciated. Thanks!

Help!!!

I interviewed at LECOM-B in January. I loved my interview and my time in Bradenton. Unfortunately, I was placed as an alternate. Since that time, I was accepted to WesternU in Oregon, which I have planned on for 5 months. Well, today Ron Shively called me today and offered me a spot at LECOM-B. I'm torn as to what I should do. Ron needs a decision by tomorrow morning. Can you accepted folks refreshen my memory about LECOM-B. Why did you choose it? What makes it great for you? Any help/advice (really soon, by the way :) ) would be appreciated. Thanks!

Well, do you want a PBL curriculum or would you rather have whatever WesternU has? Do you have family in Oregon or Florida (if that is important to you) ? Lecom is cheaper, but they don't pay hospitals for rotations, so its a bit of a risk there...is that fine with you? Do you like the area that WesternU is in? Have you seen match lists and of each school, and which impresses you more?

Those are the things I would consider.

Well, do you want a PBL curriculum or would you rather have whatever WesternU has? Do you have family in Oregon or Florida (if that is important to you) ? Lecom is cheaper, but they don't pay hospitals for rotations, so its a bit of a risk there...is that fine with you? Do you like the area that WesternU is in? Have you seen match lists and of each school, and which impresses you more?

Those are the things I would consider.
PBL or not PBL....that's the biggest question. don't sweat the rotation thing. in 3rd yr there are assigned places to go. you may have to move around, some have housing, some don't. I did all mine in bradenton without a problem. and the rest of it you find on your own. it's some leg work on your end but it's a huge advantage having the opportunity to go anywhere and check out diff residencies vs locked down at 1 hospital b/c of a contract. that's key as rotation experience and exposure is #1 factor in programs choosing you. I wouldn't worry about location as much, it's all just a couple of years but being able to live on a golf course, run/cycle, study or beach time when I want didn't kill me either. good luck and congrats

PBL or not PBL....that's the biggest question. don't sweat the rotation thing. in 3rd yr there are assigned places to go. you may have to move around, some have housing, some don't. I did all mine in bradenton without a problem. and the rest of it you find on your own. it's some leg work on your end but it's a huge advantage having the opportunity to go anywhere and check out diff residencies vs locked down at 1 hospital b/c of a contract. that's key as rotation experience and exposure is #1 factor in programs choosing you. I wouldn't worry about location as much, it's all just a couple of years but being able to live on a golf course, run/cycle, study or beach time when I want didn't kill me either. good luck and congrats

True. You have been there before, so I'd definitely take your advice over mine.

So what did u decide dburr10?

Hello All,

Looking for a 2nd year student at LECOM-B. I am a 1st year student and had a question regarding the books for anatomy specifically. According to the syllabus and lecture, questions will often be "derived verbatim" from the books. Grays Anatomy is required but there are a few other atlases that which we were required to choose one. I heard that my choice is not the one that questions often come from.

Do any 2nd year students have information regarding this?

Thanks!

Hello All,

Looking for a 2nd year student at LECOM-B. I am a 1st year student and had a question regarding the books for anatomy specifically. According to the syllabus and lecture, questions will often be "derived verbatim" from the books. Grays Anatomy is required but there are a few other atlases that which we were required to choose one. I heard that my choice is not the one that questions often come from.

Do any 2nd year students have information regarding this?

Thanks!
if I remember right, most q's are test banked, straight from the book. only dr L wrote his own. although when it comes to anatomy pics, every book is the same. leg is a leg, arm is an arm. nothing's changed in 100 yrs. most importantly is to pick 1 book/atlas that works for you and stick with it. anatomy recall was a huge help. netter flashcards are way too messy. gray's flashcard are much better.

Hello everyone!
I am applying to LECOM-B for 2012-13. Did anyone for 2011-12 get this same status message in the portal, "The Admissions Committee requests all letters of recommendation before making a decision on your file."? Please let me know so I can figure out why I haven't gotten an interview yet! Thanks!

hi all, my interview at Bradenton is at the end of this month, can any of you guys give me some tips as of how's the interview gonna be like? like what kind of questions will I be asked? or anything else I should be aware of? thanks~!