Liberty University COM (LUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted last night and thrilled to be a part of LUCOM! How do we get in touch with other members of the new class? Is there a way to get added to the facebook page?

From what I understand they will open up the Facebook page later on. Not sure when.

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted last night and thrilled to be a part of LUCOM! How do we get in touch with other members of the new class? Is there a way to get added to the facebook page?

The facebook page is up and running. LUCOM Class of 2021. It's a private group so just request to join and I believe they'll approve you if you were accepted

Accepted! Never thought I'd be able to ever say that.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OK, so my interview is complete and figured I would post my thoughts:

Building/Facilities: I was in awe as I entered the building. The LUCOM facilities are INCREDIBLE. It truly feels like a professional building. Everything they have is state of the art, which was very cool to see. I would argue that their Anatomy lab is probably one of the best in the country. The lab had ZERO formaldehyde smell and anatomy models galore. Our student ambassadors also talked about this as one of their favorite features of the building. In addition, the library was very nice and had plentiful study space. The lecture halls were.......lecture halls. Nothing crazy to see here, although the "privacy rooms" were a neat feature. If you are sick or have a kid that couldn't get to daycare, you can utilize those rooms to separate yourself from the rest of the students while still being able to watch lecture from single sided privacy glass. In addition, the building is on a mountain, which gives you an awesome view of the other surrounding mountains, as well as the LU campus.

Staff/Faculty: Throughout my visit, I felt very comfortable at LUCOM. I did my best to keep an open mind, as it wouldn't be fair to carry over the SDN biases into my interview day. The staff were extremely nice and accommodating to my group. Before we moved on to another topic, they would always ensure that all of our questions were answered. I will admit, there was a Christian vibe throughout the day, but it was nothing like the stuff that I've read on SDN. Like, it wasn't even close. The staff/faculty made it abundantly clear multiple times that while LUCOM wasn't going to change their background beliefs, they welcomed everyone (regardless of their religion/faith/race, etc.) with open arms. They preached tolerance multiple times throughout the day. That was very nice to hear, and personally, I have no problems with them sticking to what they believe in. Your beliefs are your beliefs, and no one should force you to change them. Being given that freedom is what makes this country so great. With that being said, LUCOM made it abundantly clear that we were here to learn the hard sciences and become doctors first and foremost.

Interviewers/Interview: I personally thought I rocked the interview. It was my best interview session by far. I had quick, concise answers for every question. I came in with my confidence level at an all time high (Thanks @futurephysician57 for the wall of motivating text messages the night before. I'm so glad I was able to meet you at the ACOM interview). The interview consisted of (2) 30 minute sessions with two different faculty members. My first interview was the most intense of the two, but "intense" doesn't really describe it. My interviewer was fairly stern, but was also very friendly. They smiled a couple of times and nodded their head in agreement with a lot of the points I made. I was nervous, but I thought I did well. The second interview session was a cake walk. We chatted about some classes I took, as well as some general questions about spirituality. There was NOTHING pushed on me about any particular religion. AT ALL. My interviewer was a Christian, but we chatted about general spirituality and other peoples religions/faith, especially with regards to patient interaction/care. I actually enjoyed the chat, as it was something I had never really thought about. My last interviewer did say a prayer for me at the conclusion of the interview, which I thought was a nice gesture.

I genuinely feel bad for the poster at the beginning of this thread who thought that they were "peppered" with religious questions (I think we had the same interviewer). At the same time, I feel that they completely blew it out of proportion and let SDN get to their head. If I am incorrect, then I apologize.

Other Random Thoughts:

• The student ambassadors that took us on a tour of the building were awesome! One was from DC, and the other was from MD. They were very easy going and answered a lot of the questions I had about studying, free time, and the general student body.
  • In regards to the rest of the students, we had multiple students come up to our group and strike up conversations with us. It made me feel very comfortable, and they were also open to answering any questions we had. Multiple times through the day I was given a "Good Luck" or "Go get 'em" by students walking past our group and I honestly loved it.
  • Lynchburg isn't as small as SDN has made it out to be. Minus a major mall, it has everything you could want with regards to retail shopping. There's a Target, Sams Club, Wal-Mart, Buffalo Wild Wings, Chiptole, Vitmain Shoppe, Sheetz, Texas Roadhouse, etc. Everyone was friendly around the area as well, which was nice to see.
Conclusion: I really enjoyed my visit to LUCOM, and could definitely see myself attending. The facility was beautiful, the staff and faculty were kind and accommodating, and the students were awesome to my group.

I believe LUCOM receives so much criticism on here because of 1) their undergraduate program's ideologies and 2) SDN is an extremely liberal forum (I consider myself moderate and lean slightly left). As I said, there was a Christian vibe to the school, but it was very slight. When you read some of the posts on here, you'd think LUCOM was a cathedral with an attached anatomy lab.

Please, go see LUCOM for yourself, and don't believe everything you read on SDN.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 12 users
Also:

If you are waiting for an interview decision, the adcoms aren't going to meet next week due to a COCA visit. They told us that they wouldn't be meeting again until the following Wednesday.

Building/Facilities: I was in awe as I entered the building. The LUCOM facilities are INCREDIBLE. It truly feels like a professional building. Everything they have is state of the art, which was very cool to see. I would argue that their Anatomy lab is probably one of the best in the country. The lab had ZERO formaldehyde smell and anatomy models galore. Our student ambassadors also talked about this as one of their favorite features of the building. In addition, the library was very nice and had plentiful study space. The lecture halls were.......lecture halls. Nothing crazy to see here, although the "privacy rooms" were a neat feature. If you are sick or have a kid that couldn't get to daycare, you can utilize those rooms to separate yourself from the rest of the students while still being able to watch lecture from single sided privacy glass. In addition, the building is on a mountain, which gives you an awesome view of the other surrounding mountains, as well as the LU campus.

Staff/Faculty: Throughout my visit, I felt very comfortable at LUCOM. I did my best to keep an open mind, as it wouldn't be fair to carry over the SDN biases into my interview day. The staff were extremely nice and accommodating to my group. Before we moved on to another topic, they would always ensure that all of our questions were answered. I will admit, there was a Christian vibe throughout the day, but it was nothing like the stuff that I've read on SDN. Like, it wasn't even close. The staff/faculty made it abundantly clear multiple times that while LUCOM weren't going to change their background beliefs, they welcomed everyone (regardless of their religion/faith/race, etc.) with open arms. They preached tolerance multiple times throughout the day. That was very nice to hear, and personally, I have no problems with them sticking to what they believe in. Your beliefs are your beliefs, and no one should force you to change them. Being given that freedom is what makes this country so great. With that being said, LUCOM made it abundantly clear that we were here to learn the hard sciences and become doctors first and foremost.

Interviewers/Interview: I personally thought I rocked the interview. It was my best interview session by far. I had quick, concise answers for every question. I came in with my confidence level at an all time high (Thanks @futurephysician57 for the wall of motivating text messages the night before. I'm so glad I was able to meet you at the ACOM interview). The interview consisted of (2) 30 minute sessions with two different faculty members. My first interview was the most intense of the two, but "intense" doesn't really describe it. My interviewer was fairly stern, but was also very friendly. They smiled a couple of times and nodded their head in agreement with a lot of the points I made. I was nervous, but I thought I did well. The second interview session was a cake walk. We chatted about some classes I took, as well as some general questions about spirituality. There was NOTHING pushed on me about any particular religion. AT ALL. My interviewer was a Christian, but we chatted about general spirituality and other peoples religions/faith, especially with regards to patient interaction. I actually enjoyed the chat, as it was something I had never really thought about. My last interviewer did say a prayer for me at the conclusion of the interview, which I thought was a nice gesture.

I genuinely feel bad for the poster at the beginning of this thread who thought that they were "peppered" with religious questions (I think we had the same interviewer). At the same time, I feel that they completely blew it out of proportion and let SDN get to their head.

Other Random Thoughts:

• The student ambassadors that took us on a tour of the building were awesome! One was from DC, and the other was from MD. They were very easy going and answered a lot of the questions I had about studying, free time, and the general student body.
  • In regards to the rest of the students, we had multiple students come up to our group and strike up conversations with us. It made me feel very comfortable, and they were also open to answering any questions we had. Multiple times through the day I was given a "Good Luck" or "Go get 'em" by students walking past our group and I honestly loved it.
  • Lynchburg isn't as small as SDN has made it out to be. Minus a major mall, it has everything you could want with regards to retail shopping. There's a Target, Sams Club, Wal-Mart, Buffalo Wild Wings, Chiptole, Vitmain Shoppe, Sheetz, Texas Roadhouse, etc. Everyone was friendly around the area as well, which was nice to see.
Conclusion: I really enjoyed my visit to LUCOM, and could definitely see myself attending. The facility was beautiful, the staff and faculty were kind and accommodating, and the students were awesome to my group.

I think LUCOM gets so much hate because of 1) their undergraduate programs ideologies and 2) SDN is an extremely liberal forum (I consider myself moderate and lean slightly left). As I said, there was a Christian vibe to the school, but it was very slight. Go see LUCOM for yourself, and don't believe everything you hear on SDN.

Wish I had the time to write up such a concise review of the school, but I agree with all your bullet points. As well, being from a very populous area, Lynchburg is going to be a nice change.

P.S.
Whoever is an outdoorsy individual will enjoy Snowflex and the paintball field right next to the campus.

Reactions: 1 user
Wish I had the time to write up such a concise review of the school, but I agree with all your bullet points. As well, being from a very populous area, Lynchburg is going to be a nice change.

P.S.
Whoever is an outdoorsy individual will enjoy Snowflex and the paintball field right next to the campus.

Lol, it's nice when work is slow :). I am also from a larger city (>400,000 people), and while I agree, I don't think it would be a huge adjustment for me. One of the ambassadors that gave us the tour had friends that went to my UG University (small world). When I compared my college town to Lynchburg, she laughed and 100% agreed with me. I also like the fact that it's only 2.5 hours to a major metropolitan area.

In addition to the Snowflex and Paintball, there are 65+ miles of hiking trails around campus. The recreation center is also extremely nice (10+ squat racks? Yes please!). Wintergreen Resort is only an hour away too if you want some real skiing!

Reactions: 2 users

Staff/Faculty: Throughout my visit, I felt very comfortable at LUCOM. I did my best to keep an open mind, as it wouldn't be fair to carry over the SDN biases into my interview day. The staff were extremely nice and accommodating to my group. Before we moved on to another topic, they would always ensure that all of our questions were answered. I will admit, there was a Christian vibe throughout the day, but it was nothing like the stuff that I've read on SDN. Like, it wasn't even close. The staff/faculty made it abundantly clear multiple times that while LUCOM wasn't going to change their background beliefs, they welcomed everyone (regardless of their religion/faith/race, etc.) with open arms. They preached tolerance multiple times throughout the day. That was very nice to hear, and personally, I have no problems with them sticking to what they believe in. Your beliefs are your beliefs, and no one should force you to change them. Being given that freedom is what makes this country so great. With that being said, LUCOM made it abundantly clear that we were here to learn the hard sciences and become doctors first and foremost.

Interviewers/Interview: I personally thought I rocked the interview. It was my best interview session by far. I had quick, concise answers for every question. I came in with my confidence level at an all time high (Thanks @futurephysician57 for the wall of motivating text messages the night before. I'm so glad I was able to meet you at the ACOM interview). The interview consisted of (2) 30 minute sessions with two different faculty members. My first interview was the most intense of the two, but "intense" doesn't really describe it. My interviewer was fairly stern, but was also very friendly. They smiled a couple of times and nodded their head in agreement with a lot of the points I made. I was nervous, but I thought I did well. The second interview session was a cake walk. We chatted about some classes I took, as well as some general questions about spirituality. There was NOTHING pushed on me about any particular religion. AT ALL. My interviewer was a Christian, but we chatted about general spirituality and other peoples religions/faith, especially with regards to patient interaction. I actually enjoyed the chat, as it was something I had never really thought about. My last interviewer did say a prayer for me at the conclusion of the interview, which I thought was a nice gesture.

I genuinely feel bad for the poster at the beginning of this thread who thought that they were "peppered" with religious questions (I think we had the same interviewer). At the same time, I feel that they completely blew it out of proportion and let SDN get to their head. If I am incorrect, then I apologize.

Other Random Thoughts:

I believe LUCOM receives so much criticism on here because of 1) their undergraduate program's ideologies and 2) SDN is an extremely liberal forum (I consider myself moderate and lean slightly left). As I said, there was a Christian vibe to the school, but it was very slight. When you read some of the posts on here, you'd think LUCOM was a cathedral with an attached anatomy lab.

Please, go see LUCOM for yourself, and don't believe everything you hear on SDN.

Thank you so much for this review!! I definitely feel better about the school after reading it. I'm interviewing in two weeks and hopefully I also get a good vibe from the place. Congrats on completing your interview :)

Reactions: 4 users
is anyone on this thread still waiting on a secondary app (or know of anyone waiting for one) from this school? I was complete in August, but they didn't send me a "complete" email until November.

is anyone on this thread still waiting on a secondary app (or know of anyone waiting for one) from this school? I was complete in August, but they didn't send me a "complete" email until November.

I would've called the school a long time ago if I were you!

I would've called the school a long time ago if I were you!

Yeah but theres always that fine line of "if you call us, we will hate you for it" VS "if you call us, we will think you love us". Fair point, will call today.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah but theres always that fine line of "if you call us, we will hate you for it" VS "if you call us, we will think you love us". Fair point, will call today.

I've probably called every school I applied to and it never ( I don't think) worked against me. Granted you don't want to be the one who calls 5x a month, but a phone call or two during the application cycle isn't going to hurt you.

I just want to address a couple things here briefly since I wasn't completely aware of what's being said about my school:

1) while some instructors may believe in creationism at our school (i'm not quite sure which ones honestly), it has not affected my understanding of microbiology or the pathogenesis of disease

2) we don't teach conversion therapy for LQBTQ populations. I've heard a guest lecturer discussed that for the inaugural class but that was quickly addressed. That did not happen for my class and I really don't think that will happen for any future classes. We've been instructed by Dr. Wattleworth (who has since joined the NBOME) to be compassionate and non-judgmental regarding the care of our patients.

3) our curriculum isn't modified in any way to fit some sort of Christian propaganda. it's simply a spiral medical curriculum.

4) just because we are a new school doesn't mean we don't have talented faculty, I suggest anyone interested in this school to check out this link to view the backgrounds of our faculty members
http://www.liberty.edu/lucom/index.cfm?PID=27182#Faculty

5) our OMM program is top-notch and has faculty members highly regarded in the field (Dr Kribs from MSU-COM and Dr. Lockwood from KCOM). Compared to other students I've met on conferences, we are actually ahead when it comes to OMM and I've had current 3rd year students tell me they didn't have to spend much time reviewing the material for COMLEX.

6) Liberty University as a school is known for controversial political issues, but we don't follow them. We are basically independent from the main campus and the only time you will find any of us there is to use the gym or if we have a reception for our own faculty members and colleagues.

6) don't believe everything in past SDN discussions about my school. It made me freak out before I came here and I was happy to find that the school isn't like what people made it out to be. Quite frankly, people who have never been on our campus shouldn't be so quick to judge us.

My biases you ask? I'm a 29 year old Asian/pacific islander liberal/progressive democrat from northern california who moved to rural virginia.

I'm sorry I can't check on here all the time because you know...medical school. But please feel free to PM me if you are that concerned about LUCOM.

I do not go to LUCOM, but I will say that my anatomy instructor over the summer was a LUCOM second year and was brilliant. No part of his instruction was watered down or clouded by christian ideology (if he even believed in the bible.)

I have also encountered many LUCOM students in Lynchburg's (and Bedford's) ED's doing their rotations and they have all been respectable, hardworking, nonjudgmental, medical students like any other. From what I have seen, LUCOM also has extremely nice facilities.

One of my previous co-workers attends LUCOM and seems pretty confident he will land a good surgery residency. Through my job, I have met quite a few more medical (and liberty law) students and even got to know a couple on a basic level, the medical students seem to be of a higher caliber than the law students, just by talking.

Liberty University's law school is ranked as one of the worst law schools in the country in terms of post-graduation opportunities. Apparently, it is infused by Christian values a little more obviously than the medical curriculum (from what I have heard from current students.) Surprisingly, Jerry Jr. (The chancellor of LU) has a BA from Liberty and a JD from the University of Virginia. Jonathan Falwell (Also closely tied to LU, furthering Jerry Sr.'s Legacy) also has a BA from Liberty and a JD from a secular California school. Jeanie Falwell has an MD from a secular Virginia allopathic school and is the chief of surgery at a medium sized Virginia hospital. People often ask her why she didn't go into ministry like her brothers to which she tactfully answers "medicine is ministry." I would probably have a lot less patience and counter question the person "Why should I be predestined for ministry because of who my dad was? dingus."

Yes, at first I thought it was horrible that Liberty was opening a medical school (Liberty University pretty much owns my city and has way too much say in local politics, their stance on issues is generally enraging.) However, I have been pleasantly surprised by the medical school over the last few years.

It has to be MUCH better than LECOM or Edward Via, those almost give me a degree-mill feeling by looking at their websites and hearing their representatives talk at conferences, LUCOM has never come close to giving me that un-authentic feeling, even though Liberty University in general is regarded as "money-hungry" by most people in Lynchburg.

Time will tell, but I'm pretty confident they will graduate good doctors.

I have also had the delight of taking an EMT class with a Liberty premed, who was years ahead of me. She probably didn't know (or care) but I really looked up to her and she has been quite successful, although she decided to go the PA route.

You can't judge the students by the people in charge of the school, as far as the anti-LGBT thing goes, come to Lynchburg, download the app "Grindr" it's mostly Liberty students...

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm personally waiting for the day that LUCOM's first match list is revealed. What happens if it ends up being fantastic? Will SDN go into meltdown mode and suddenly start recommending it, as they did with RVUCOM?

Lol.

Reactions: 8 users
I'm personally waiting for the day that LUCOM's first match list is revealed. What happens if it ends up being fantastic? Will SDN go into meltdown mode and suddenly start recommending it, as they did with RVUCOM?

Lol.

I think you've predicted well! I bet so!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Interviewers/Interview: I personally thought I rocked the interview. It was my best interview session by far. I had quick, concise answers for every question. I came in with my confidence level at an all time high (Thanks @futurephysician57 for the wall of motivating text messages the night before. I'm so glad I was able to meet you at the ACOM interview). The interview consisted of (2) 30 minute sessions with two different faculty members. My first interview was the most intense of the two, but "intense" doesn't really describe it. My interviewer was fairly stern, but was also very friendly. They smiled a couple of times and nodded their head in agreement with a lot of the points I made. I was nervous, but I thought I did well. The second interview session was a cake walk. We chatted about some classes I took, as well as some general questions about spirituality. There was NOTHING pushed on me about any particular religion. AT ALL. My interviewer was a Christian, but we chatted about general spirituality and other peoples religions/faith, especially with regards to patient interaction/care. I actually enjoyed the chat, as it was something I had never really thought about. My last interviewer did say a prayer for me at the conclusion of the interview, which I thought was a nice gesture.

Other Random Thoughts:

Please, go see LUCOM for yourself, and don't believe everything you read on SDN.

In regards to not having a major mall, I want to point out another interesting fact: Liberty University now owns the mall. Yes they literally bought the mall. Spencer's and Victoria's Secret are staying though.

Liberty is a beautiful campus with a lot of construction, which is really coming together. Some of my favorite loops around the campus for runs no longer exist because parts have been built over! (from when I was on Liberty's affiliated High School's XC Team, so just a few years!)

Lynchburg is not that small. One way the size of the community is relevant/important to you are the hospitals: Centra Lynchburg General Hospital, a Level II Trauma Center, Primary Stroke Center, Chest Pain Center with great inpatient cardiac services both surgical and medical. Also has good neurosurgery program with an emphasis on keyhole surgery. This is as opposed to many programs with their own affiliated hospitals which may be Level I Trauma, Comprehensive Stroke centers, etc. Then there is the big outpatient hospital: Virginia Baptist. Virginia Baptist gives admitting privileges to many surgeons with their own private practices to do day-surgery and things like that, they have no ER but they do operate the inpatient obstetrics and psychiatry departments. There is also Bedford memorial hospital, about 30 minutes out of the city of Lynchburg, which is like a satellite to LGH, they have a small ER, an ICU, some surgery services, and a few other things, but all big things go to Lynchburg General, and all giant things go to LGH then get flown to either UVA or Roanoke. Bedford Memorial is very easy-going (I'm talking about the patience of the staff who are contracted to training you/letting you follow them around.) The medical students I witnessed in the ER were assigned to a Centra Physician (there were both MD's and DO's) however sometimes Liberty University has their own clinical evaluators within Centra's hospital (I have only seen this in LGH, I kind of have a suspicion they are there equally as much to ensure that the Centra staff are doing their part and not neglecting the students, as much as it is to evaluate their own students. LGH Can have a really bad attitude, mostly nurses though believe it or not.)

The difference is not big both in regards to the hospitals and the city in general. We are big enough to have a little bit of everything. There is talk of Liberty opening its own hospital but there is nothing official (that I have seen) to support this, but as much as they are building it is probable it will happen some day.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Accepted in the end of December. Very excited to meet the incoming class. Any idea how I can find housing / roommate information? Is there a FB page or a forum for LUCOM students?

Accepted in the end of December. Very excited to meet the incoming class. Any idea how I can find housing / roommate information? Is there a FB page or a forum for LUCOM students?

I'm also looking for that information too. There is a facebook page "LUCOM Class of 2021" if you just request to join it. See you next fall!

Hey guys! Congrats to everyone accepted. I'll be joining you all in the class of 2021. I did the pre-Med program at Liberty and I'm pretty familiar with LUCOM and the area so if you guys have any questions feel free to ask. Also, the class of 2021 FB group is up and running, saw a few people asking. Looking forward to meeting you guys this fall!

Hi everyone! Does anyone know when secondaries are issued after completing primaries? I understand you need to be selected for secondaries.

Hi everyone! Does anyone know when secondaries are issued after completing primaries? I understand you need to be selected for secondaries.

Roughly 3-4 week for me and a few others, some waited a few months it seems. Not sure the average.

Roughly 3-4 week for me and a few others, some waited a few months it seems. Not sure the average.
Yeah, I think it took me right around 4 weeks to receive it as well.

5 days for me. But I'm a VA resident so that might be why.

Sent from my LGLS676 using SDN mobile

I saw there is a fb page for LUCOM of 2021 and requested to join but no reply yet.

Attention current students: Any advice on house hunting from afar? Reliable sources? Moving with a family... And I don't graduate until June 17th (on the west coast). Orientation starts July 25th!

Does your ASIST portal update when a decision has been made (like WVSOM)?

Does your ASIST portal update when a decision has been made (like WVSOM)?

Mine didn't update until at least 24 hours after the dean's call even though they had met a full week prior (to his call). My hypothesis is that he calls one group a day after deciding, in chronological order. We were the 5th group out and he called 5 business days later. Or it could be based on alphabetical order... or ???

Does anyone know who we can send update letters to for LUCOM? With Rowan they had their portal, but I'm not sure who to send it to here.

I saw there is a fb page for LUCOM of 2021 and requested to join but no reply yet.

I got into the fb page not too long ago you should get a response soon.

Almost done with all the admit paperwork!

I know this sounds weird, me being a nurse and all, but I really hate shots. 3 immunizations and 2 TB tests in 3 weeks.

Poking someone else is much more fun than getting poked. Lol :poke:

I just left the health department now from getting the four vaccination boosters I was missing...feeling a bit woozy, and I'm not sure if it's from getting poked or the hefty price I paid to get these done. lol

I just left the health department now from getting the four vaccination boosters I was missing...feeling a bit woozy, and I'm not sure if it's from getting poked or the hefty price I paid to get these done. lol

Probably both lol.

I was lucky. My hospital was more than happy to stab me with needles for free. :D

What was the damage, cost wise ? I need to go get mine done too.

Well, tomorrow is Wednesday.

Hoping for some good news!!!

What was the damage, cost wise ? I need to go get mine done too.

I had the DTaP booster, MMR again (my titers indicated my mumps were low by 1% from immunity! Grrr), Polio booster, and Hep A. So four vaccinations for $200 at my county's health department.

Probably both lol.

I was lucky. My hospital was more than happy to stab me with needles for free. :D

See, I work at a hospital too but they only offer the influenza vaccine for free. >_> Oh, the perks!

I had the DTaP booster, MMR again (my titers indicated my mumps were low by 1% from immunity! Grrr), Polio booster, and Hep A. So four vaccinations for $200 at my county's health department.
Insurance doesn't cover vaccinations?

Accepted phone received yesterday afternoon (interviewed late November, waitlisted mid-December)

FYI: My assist portal was updated prior to the call and before I got the waitlist email

Reactions: 3 users
Insurance doesn't cover vaccinations?

Not from what I'm aware of. Or, if it is, not by my insurance. I went to my primary physician, and he was able to do my titers and PE without charging. However, when it came to the vaccines I needed, he stated that he was unable to do it at his office and I was therefore referred to the health department.

I was complete mid-January. Anyone know the turnaround time for secondaries or rejections?

Hey Nick,
Lab isn't every day. We have OMM lab on Mondays, PCM lab on Thursdays. Depending on the course, you could have anatomy lab Tuesday and Wednesday and Thursday. I know that it seems I just said we don't have lab everyday, but it really depends where you are in the course schedule. Your time spent at the school changes throughout each course. But right now, we just finished the lab component of our GI unit, so that means our afternoons have opened up a little more until GI is over in two weeks. And I believe our Urinary unit doesn't even have an anatomy lab component, so those afternoons might be more open for a while longer. :)

Bananakick - Unfortunately, we haven't graduated our first class, but the third years that took their boards over the summer scored very well for the first class of a brand-new medical school. I believe the unofficial report was 89% of the class passed on their first try. Which is one of the highest pass rates our faculty has seen from up-and-coming medical schools. Our education is outstanding and our faculty has done a great job at improving the curriculum with each class and even each course throughout the year. As a first year, I know that by the time we're ready for residency placements, LUCOM will have an established name in the game. :) If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

Hi, I had a question about 3rd and 4th year rotations. Do they all have to be at a LUCOM core site, even fourth year? (not counting the electives-I assume we can set those up ourselves if we want to go elsewhere)

Me at the library right now waiting for that phone call:

mxqceos.gif

Reactions: 3 users
Just checked my portal.

Rejected. :(

So. Freaking. Disappointed. I'm really starting to lose hope. I thought my interview went great. I had answers for everything.

I guess it's time to start applying for SMPs.............

Just checked my portal.

Rejected. :(

So. Freaking. Disappointed. I'm really starting to lose hope. I thought my interview went great. I had answers for everything.

I guess it's time to start applying for SMPs.............

PM me

Anyone having issues with getting immunization records on time? My deadline is March 1st. It has been one doozy of a ride getting everything in order. I received my titers back and it showed equivocal immunity for mumps instead of positive immunity, so I had to get a booster. Mind you, I already have documentation of receiving TWO separate MMR series (back in 2009-2010 and when I was a kid 1990-1994). The health department stated that I have to wait 2-3 weeks before performing another titer to indicate positive immunity, but wouldn't the MMR booster be sufficient? (OH, and you want to hear the best part? My value was 10.0 and the cut off for positive immunity is 10.9 >__> ). I will not be able to get the titers again, on time, AND send everything out before March 1st. I already emailed the student health department. Should I just sent everything as is while I wait to get the titers done again?

Anyone having issues with getting immunization records on time? My deadline is March 1st. It has been one doozy of a ride getting everything in order. I received my titers back and it showed equivocal immunity for mumps instead of positive immunity, so I had to get a booster. Mind you, I already have documentation of receiving TWO separate MMR series (back in 2009-2010 and when I was a kid 1990-1994). The health department stated that I have to wait 2-3 weeks before performing another titer to indicate positive immunity, but wouldn't the MMR booster be sufficient? (OH, and you want to hear the best part? My value was 10.0 and the cut off for positive immunity is 10.9 >__> ). I will not be able to get the titers again, on time, AND send everything out before March 1st. I already emailed the student health department. Should I just sent everything as is while I wait to get the titers done again?

My immunizations just got verified, I too had to get an extra MMR, but only 1. I don't think you need 2. Just submit it and if need be send in the 2nd MMR record later.

It took them about 2 week to review all my stuff.

My immunizations just got verified, I too had to get an extra MMR, but only 1. I don't think you need 2. Just submit it and if need be send in the 2nd MMR record later.

It took them about 2 week to review all my stuff.

Thank you Nick!!