Liberty University (LUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I took up yoga in the meantime, but I have been secluding myself from being a normal 21 year-old..... I have no idea why, I hope I get to be myself again really soon. :(:xf: We got this though, we will get through these next few months together! :thumbup:

I need to have not only a distraction, but a plan if it doesn't work out this cycle. I think I need to just put my focus somewhere else all together. I've was interested in doing a DO/MPH while in med school. So I'm considering doing an MPH in the meantime. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed almost a month ago (end of January) and still haven't heard back... I have called and emailed but still haven't heard from them. Should I assume this a silent rejection? I am not really sure what to think. Thanks!!

Interviewed here this week, Admissions Committee will meet next Friday the 13th

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think that since they are running behind because of the weather, they are also behind in calling people on the waitlist that they want to admit? o_O
:xf:

I sent Barry an email for an explanation.
I thought my interview went well, so I don't really think there could be much room for improvement as the interview was more so to get to know me as a person. My volunteer work is above average and I had solid letters of recommendations as well. Maybe the school was questioning my faith (I grew up in a buddhist family, but I respect all faiths and religions), I don't know...

So did you get an explanation as to why you weren't accepted?

Perhaps they are looking for someone with more life experience? After my interview, I sensed that the school looks for a diversity of experience when evaluating its applicants.

Last edited:
Do you guys think that since they are running behind because of the weather, they are also behind in calling people on the waitlist that they want to admit? o_O
:xf:

They finally emailed me back. It sounded like they just overlooked my application but I'm not really sure what happened. But they said I should find out soon. I'm guessing it's because of the weather delay but it's been so hard to be patient this long!! Idk if they're behind on calling waitlisters as well but I wouldn't expect anything soon just cause it seems like they have a lot going on right now.

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone else who interviewed on Monday, February 23rd get accepted?

Also, for the current students attending Liberty, do you guys have any recommendations on where to live that's close to campus?

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone else who interviewed on Monday, February 23rd get accepted?

Also, for the current students attending Liberty, do you guys have any recommendations on where to live that's close to campus?

When did you hear back from them? I also interviewed then, haven't heard back yet though

3.5 gpa, 32 MCAT. Because of extenuating circumstances, haven't turned in secondary yet. What are my chances if I send it in this week? (March 9th) Applying late reduces my chances, but by how much?

3.5 gpa, 32 MCAT. Because of extenuating circumstances, haven't turned in secondary yet. What are my chances if I send it in this week? (March 9th) Applying late reduces my chances, but by how much?
Considering you're more than seven months late with the secondary (and the primary opens again in just a few months), I would say basically zero. However... not quite zero, because they still theoretically accept secondaries until 4/15.

You have decent numbers for almost any DO school if you wait just a few months, so I personally feel it's unwise to apply now at this stage of the game. I guess if your primary is all submitted and your secondary is ready to go, there's no real drawback in submitting... other than perhaps some questions next year on the interview trail about this application cycle.

I would personally recommend that you wait till next application cycle. Your stats are fantastic. I would think you would have a lot of scholarship opportunities if you waited. This could mean a lot of money saved down the road especially with interest. Also, with looking at less debt you are likely to keep your options more open when choosing what field you go into. A lot of universities ask a lot of harder questions to their reapplicants- like what have you done to improve since the last cycle you applied is a common question. You won't really have much time before the next cycle to add much improvement. Ultimately it is up to you. I just want you to have your best shot of acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)

I agree with Blooms in adversity. Applying next cycle will put you at such an advantage, especially if you have good shadowing and volunteer experiences. Like, for example, if you apply right when applications start again, you will get so many interviews etc. On the other hand, if you can improve your application at all( some schools do ask how you have improved app, I know Liberty does), you can apply this cycle to get some experiences with interviews, but if you get in, that would be awesome too :p

Someone might take you if you applied broadly. But unless you were in a coma for 7 months, I have no idea why you waited so long.

gonna be hard, only like 6 schools still accepting apps
Well she had to have sent a primary at some point to get a secondary. I was assuming she was talking about filling out secondary's. With her stats, one of the DO schools will grab her and give her a late interview. Prob not Liberty unless she has a strong service background, but there are schools that love that high mcat.

Last edited:
Looking at your post history I see that you posted the same message in multiple threads. I think you might have wanted to do a 'what are my chances thread.' If Goro is really at KCOM (as is believed) and they are still accepting secondaries, you have an excellent chance with them, as Goro has expressed on multiple occasions that they love MCAT's, the higher the better. Campbell is full, but has a living waitlist. The other new schools probably have slots, and LMU DCOM will probably have openings as well.

I wish you the best of luck anyhow. :thumbup: Looks like Marian or Touro based on your posts may be an excellent option for you :)

Last edited:
Might as well apply. It might be a waste of money but you never know. If I were you, I'd wait just because it's only a few short months until the new cycle opens up. But, if you're eager to start school in 5 months, go for it. otherwise, time will fly and you'll have interviews in August.

People who interviewed 2/24, check your LU login portal, your decisions should be up!

Where is the decision located on the portal?

Go to ASIST in the portal at the right hand side, then on the main menu, click general information, then click on applicant status, and underneath application decisions, it should say Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected

Go to ASIST in the portal at the right hand side, then on the main menu, click general information, then click on applicant status, and underneath application decisions, it should say Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected

Ok, thanks! I actually interviewed later that week, so my decision isn't up yet.

This was clutch, I had no idea I could even do that. Thanks!
I interviewed that day, I'm waitlisted. But that keeps me hopeful considering I was originally deferred pre-interview, and I made it this far. Only thing I can do is keep the faith!

Reactions: 2 users
I haven't received any info regarding interviewing yet...are they still going to be holding interviews?
stats: 23 mcat 3.5gpa 3.2 sgpa ton of ec's pubs service etc

congrats guys! do you mind posting stats? or would i be able to pm you?
I am 63 LizzyM don't think my acceptance had anything to do with that tho. I didn't deposit, so my seat will be going to someone else.

Last edited:
I am 3.6 cumulative, like 3.5+science, 27 MCAT. I don't think my acceptance had anything to do with that tho. I didn't deposit, so my seat will be going to someone else.
ahh okay thanks so much for responding! good luck wherever you go :)

I am 3.6 cumulative, like 3.5+science, 27 MCAT. I don't think my acceptance had anything to do with that tho. I didn't deposit, so my seat will be going to someone else.

Hi! Have you decided where you are going to go to school? my stats are similar to yours, I'm applying to Florida schools, although I'm an OOS applicant moving to FL after graduation..

Hi! Have you decided where you are going to go to school? my stats are similar to yours, I'm applying to Florida schools, although I'm an OOS applicant moving to FL after graduation..
will PM.

Does anyone know when admissions will notify applicants regarding decisions?

Has anybody heard decisions from the admissions meeting they were having on Friday?

I haven't received any info regarding interviewing yet...are they still going to be holding interviews?
stats: 23 mcat 3.5gpa 3.2 sgpa ton of ec's pubs service etc
my stats are nearly identical to this and i currently have a seat here. your service/what you've done volunteering is really important, something I really like about LUCOM. PM me if you have any more questions.

Interviewed the last week of February, but still nothing, not even on the portal. Yes, I know it hasn't really been that long, but others who interviewed that week (tex6513, medhopeful2709) received friggin' PHONE CALLS already. Why some people and not others? (Being put on a wait list would show up in the portal, correct?)

Interviewed the last week of February, but still nothing, not even on the portal. Yes, I know it hasn't really been that long, but others who interviewed that week (tex6513, medhopeful2709) received friggin' PHONE CALLS already. Why some people and not others? (Being put on a wait list would show up in the portal, correct?)
Have you tried sending an email?

Interviewed 2/23 and got a call a couple weeks ago. I got rejected. 3.4 GPA and 24 on MCAT. I have a lot of volunteering experience and I work in a hospital as a nursing aid and have a ton of patient experience. Pretty upset because this was my only DO school interview I've gotten so far. Got into SGU in Grenada but don't know if that's the right route for me. Still waiting to hear from LECOM, TOURO-NY, WVSOM, NYIT-COM, Ohio Heritage, Rowan and Pikeville-Kentucky but I applied way back in August so I'm beginning to get nervous. Applied to graduate school also now after getting rejected from here. Also how long should I wait to inquire why I got rejected? I felt I interviewed well and really liked the school. Was praying this was the place for me. :(

Last edited:
Interviewed 2/23 and got a call a couple weeks ago. I got rejected. 3.4 GPA and 24 on MCAT. I have a lot of volunteering experience and I work in a hospital as a nursing aid and have a ton of patient experience. Pretty upset because this was my only DO school interview I've gotten so far. Got into SGU in Grenada but don't know if that's the right route for me. Still waiting to hear from LECOM, TOURO-NY, WVSOM, NYIT-COM, Ohio Heritage, Rowan and Pikeville-Kentucky but I applied way back in August so I'm beginning to get nervous. Applied to graduate school also now after getting rejected from here. Also how long should I wait to inquire why I got rejected? I felt I interviewed well and really liked the school. Was praying this was the place for me. :(

Couple things:

Red Flags:
What is your MCAT breakdown? Usually, schools don't accept scores of 6/5 or less in a section.

What is your science GPA? Most schools reject people with science GPA <3.2. My cGPA was a 3.4 at one point and my science was a 3.0. Make sure to know which is which.

What else did you do during undergrad? Patient experiences looks good, but did you do any research? Clinical volunteering? Clubs? Hobbies?

Letters of Rec: Could there be a sour letter in the bunch? Did you get a DO letter? I know Liberty requires one.

Anything missing from AACOMAS? I am really surprised you did not get a couple more interviews. Some people just fall through the cracks. I can't imagine that anything else would be bad from what you have presented. Maybe retake the MCAT?

DO NOT GO TO THE CARIBBEAN. There will be no residency spots left for carrib grads in a few years. Apply 3 cycles before going overseas. Then apply to podiatry school, dental, optometry, ANYTHING before leaving USA.

Thanks for the response. I got a 6 on physical science 9 on bio 9 on verbal. Also my science gpa is about the same as my gpa I've done well in biology and math I think when I applied on aacomas it worked out to about a 3.4 also. Also I dont see any of my recommenders being sour. i had a d.o recommendation and shadowing experience with him and we talk all the time. Another one was from my boss at the hospital and she loves me. Idk where on those I could've went wrong. I have done a little research but not much but didn't think liberty was big on research. I know everyone says Caribbean is not worth it but if it's the only way I'll have a shot at becoming a doctor I'll do everything I can because I know its what I want to do. Any recommendations are welcomed

Thanks for the response. I got a 6 on physical science 9 on bio 9 on verbal. Also my science gpa is about the same as my gpa I've done well in biology and math I think when I applied on aacomas it worked out to about a 3.4 also. Also I dont see any of my recommenders being sour. i had a d.o recommendation and shadowing experience with him and we talk all the time. Another one was from my boss at the hospital and she loves me. Idk where on those I could've went wrong. I have done a little research but not much but didn't think liberty was big on research. I know everyone says Caribbean is not worth it but if it's the only way I'll have a shot at becoming a doctor I'll do everything I can because I know its what I want to do. Any recommendations are welcomed

6 on physical is pushing it, as you have felt the wrath of this app cycle. If there is any way to retake the MCAT, I would do so.

Math is not included in science GPA. Check AACOMAS to know ur science GPA for sure.

When did you apply? Both primary and secondary? You interviewed very late, and while that is not your fault, it has a huge effect on boarderline applicants. You are the textbook case of a Borderline app, so you need to apply broadly and early. You did the first part, but did you do the 2nd?

When did you submit secondaries?

I submitted to aacomas in mid July it didn't verify till late September and I had all my secondaries in by October. Liberty invited me for a interview in November but I never got an email in spam or deleted and learned the hard way cause it wasn't till February when I called all the schools that they had been waiting to hear from me another thing that makes this rejection so hard:/ also I did apply very broad. I applied to 15 DO schools and 5 in state NY MD programs. I knew the MD programs were a huge reach but my dad is an MD in NY (which don't get me wrong I know means nothing) but he really wanted me to push for the stars and hope. I just thought Id have ALittle more success with a couple of these DO schools. And I know it's late to interview that's why I was really hoping liberty was the one... Pretty lost with what to do next year now because due to family situations I can't live back home and restudy for the mcat.

I submitted to aacomas in mid July it didn't verify till late September and I had all my secondaries in by October. Liberty invited me for a interview in November but I never got an email in spam or deleted and learned the hard way cause it wasn't till February when I called all the schools that they had been waiting to hear from me another thing that makes this rejection so hard:/ also I did apply very broad. I applied to 15 DO schools and 5 in state NY MD programs. I knew the MD programs were a huge reach but my dad is an MD in NY (which don't get me wrong I know means nothing) but he really wanted me to push for the stars and hope. I just thought Id have ALittle more success with a couple of these DO schools. And I know it's late to interview that's why I was really hoping liberty was the one... Pretty lost with what to do next year now because due to family situations I can't live back home and restudy for the mcat.

I don't mean to derail the thread, so I PMed you

Hey,

Before I got into liberty I was accepted to SGU too and I was weeks away from going. If there is any good caribbean school, its SGU, however all IMGs are being cut from the match. I was going to go because I was determined to become a doctor no matter what. However, Im glad I didn't end up doing it because the chance of you getting a US residency in a few years is slim to none. It would be better (even though I know it would totally suck because Ive been there) to retake the MCAT, go for a post bach, and/or apply again next cycle since its only a few months away. Bring that 6 up to even just a 7 and you'll get in somewhere next cycle, assuming all LORs and interviews are fine. Don't settle for SGU just yet. Its not about doing it the hard way and still coming out on top, it will end up being you doing it the hard way, being 300k in debt and still not getting a US residency. Its better to wait a year or two, get into a US school and get a US residency instead of getting into SGU now, getting a caribbean residency and going through all the tests to work in the US. PM me if you have any questions. Im not a Caribbean hater like a lot of people on SDN lol. I just know a little about the process since I was literally a week away from buying a plane ticket to Grenada.

...ok it's too quiet on this thread now...interviewed 2/27 still waiting here. Best wishes everyone!