Liberty University (LUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The post bacc will help if you do well. You essentially have to significantly improve your app. Which means you cannot apply this coming cycle and should wait for the next one (2017 start). Adding to ec's is necessary too. It prob won't hurt you too much being a reapp at LUCOM since they are so poorly ranked but it could at other schools.

^ none of what you said is necessarily true. @hpgryffn, I would have your primary, secondary, and letters out this coming June and be complete as early as possible. This shows interest and initiative on your part... both of which go a long way when applying to LUCOM in particular. January was way too late last time so maybe if you apply 6 months in advance this time they'll take a closer look at your application. Good luck!

P.S. osteopathic schools are not ranked. Sure some are better than others (Midwestern, PCOM, Touro etc.) but when we apply for residencies down the road they place more weight on our audition rotations than the institution you come from :)

Members don't see this ad.

Isn't tomorrow the last day to hold multiple acceptances? Hopefully, we will see some movement after that fellow wait listers! :) So, there has been like no movement on the waitlist whatsoever? That is very disheartening :cryi:

The wait list was moving up until 2 weeks before orientation last year. Hang in there guys!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
been quiet on here, has anyone who was waitlisted heard anything?

Last edited:
just something funny to share with y'all,

I applied late to Liberty and I am currently under "provisional status" on their portal whatever that means. I completed my secondary in Feb. I was never notified to go to interview and Barry told me they would contact me in March in regard to my application but they never did.

It's funny because I got into the best MD school in my state and a DO school in Apr while being on provisional status with Liberty the whole time lol Apparently I am too good for a school who claims to be Christian & religious.

btw I am a devout Christian and I emphasized it at all my interviews that Jesus is the reason I am who I am with the things that I was able to accomplish by His grace. Apparently my faith was well received by "secular" schools.

Best wishes to all who are waiting to be accepted.

just something funny to share with y'all,

I applied late to Liberty and I am currently under "provisional status" on their portal whatever that means. I completed my secondary in Feb. I was never notified to go to interview and Barry told me they would contact me in March in regard to my application but they never did.

It's funny because I got into the best MD school in my state and a DO school in Apr while being on provisional status with Liberty the whole time lol Apparently I am too good for a school who claims to be Christian & religious.

btw I am a devout Christian and I emphasized it at all my interviews that Jesus is the reason I am who I am with the things that I was able to accomplish by His grace. Apparently my faith was well received by "secular" schools.

Best wishes to all who are waiting to be accepted.

Did you check your spam folder? I've heard a lot of late applicants didn't get an interview.

Congrats on getting accepted elsewhere! That's awesome. Best of luck

If you can go to other school, go. LUCOM is not a big fan of gays, non-Christians, or liberals.
Although I'm unaware if there are any gays in my class, I do know that at least half are non Christian or liberals and everyone is respected. Lynchburg, being a big conservative/Christian college town however, may be less accepting (this is an assumption since I don't really know...we don't get out much in med school anyways lol). But this was an old post anyway that already had been answered. Any other reason to bump it besides to dig out the trolls ;) you're gonna get the same answers. This person needs to do their own research and visit these schools to see which one best fits them. But since it's May, I'll assume again that they probably did that months ago.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted! Well, my husband not me, but we are very excited!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted on Friday! Super Excited!! I was regular wait list if anyone was curious.

Reactions: 4 users
Just accepted as well.... I'm not getting much help woth student services so I'm coming to you all for housing help. Any suggestions or input or individuals looking for roommates? Gotta move in a few weeks so any help is much appreciated.

Reactions: 1 users
Just accepted as well.... I'm not getting much help woth student services so I'm coming to you all for housing help. Any suggestions or input or individuals looking for roommates? Gotta move in a few weeks so any help is much appreciated.
The Facebook group still has a handful of people looking for roommates. I would start there.

Reactions: 1 user
Soooo...is anyone reapplying here or know if doing so is advisable for this school? I interviewed and was denied post interview. Perhaps pushing the interview date a few months ahead is what led to this...

I was accepted this week off the waitlist very excited! Admissions checklist is stressful when you are out of the country with approaching deadlines hehe. I am so thankful to God for doing everything so perfectly for me, I will never deserve it, but he gave it to me.

Reactions: 2 users
I have an interview soon at LUCOM. Can anyone PM me and comment OBJECTIVELY on the curriculum thus far?

Hey Guys,

I am by no means an authority in this school. I was accepted last cycle and decided to defer. I will be starting with the 2019 class next August. It was a real hard decision to defer but my family comes first and having a third baby in June took precedence over starting class this fall hence my deferment. I'll tell you guys about my application and hopefully I'll help some of you guys in this crazy process:

I applied in November 2013, received a secondary in December and received an invite in Jan 2014. When they send you an ii, school will give you a set of dates to choose from in order to schedule the interview.

A good friend of mine told me about LUCOM and I was literally blown away by the school! I'm from Miami and I interviewed on 2/4/14. There were so many amazing applicants that I felt a bit intimidated by them. I'm non-trad student, married with two kiddos. As soon as the presentation began, however, I forgot any prior inhibitions about my application (24MCAT/3.3 uGPA/ 3.2 gGPA) and the school itself. I don't know how they do it but man these people really go out of their way to make you feel wanted. After lunch I had an hour before my interview, so I spoke to a few staff members. One of the people I had the pleasure of speaking with was Ben Smith. We spoke about the school and the city itself. I told him about my family and Miami. Without a thought, he offered to take me around the city after the interview. For me that was the selling point. I took a whole bunch of pics to sell the school back home to my fam - it's not easy leaving the beautiful city of Miami for a small town in Virginia but I'm sold.

The interview process was exactly how everyone prior to the interview told us it would be like: 2 sessions of 30 minutes each to find out about you and the school itself. As you are interviewed, they really get a sense of who you are and how you would meet LUCOM's mission’s statement. The school has no problems telling you from the beginning about their Christian believes and how they expect all of the students to be mindful and respectful of that fact. If you respect their principles, they respect yours. I was interviewed with a few non-christians applicants and the staff never brought up any religion aspect/opinion. We did not pray nor did we talk about our own individual believes like previous post have said. I actually was the only one who prayed silently before our lunch was served.

Most of the questions before and during the interview circled around you as an individual instead of your numbers. On both interviews, if you go over the 30 minutes, the interviewer will politely ask you to finish since there are a few other candidates waiting to be interviewed. I honestly could have stay with Dr. Ianuzzo for a good 2 hours talking about his research and medical ethics. The staff this school has recruited is amazing!

I interviewed with Dr. Gish and Dr. Ianuzzo. Dr. Gish was very direct and ask about my grades , my post bacc experience, about other schools I had applied to and why LUCOM. He also asked me about life and the value I place on it. The last question was very abstract and I babbled for about a minute before I realized how simple the answer was. We talked about OMM and the half hour was up.

With Dr. Ianuzzo, I felt as though I was talking to a long lost friend who I had not seen in the last 10 years and I only had 30 minutes to catch him up. The first 15 minutes were devoted to my secondary and my aacomas essays. Then he asked a series of rapid-fire questions and before I knew it I was asked to make room for the next guest.

All in all my experience was amazing. I felt as though they were really interested in getting to know me above anything else. My interview was on 02/04/2014 and I received a phone call from the Dean at 5:50 on 02/10/2014 to let me know I was accepted.

Last year was my third year applying and I received three interviews, I was waitlisted at two schools and received one admission.

If you guys need/want anything, please feel free to PM. The 2018 students are amazing and knowing the staff at LUCOM, I can definitely tell you the class of 2019 will not disappoint.

Ps: Please try not to be cynical and look at 2013-2014 LUCOM's thread. Don't listen to a*holes and help out your fellow SDNers. After all we are in medicine to help people so why not help your future classmates.

Hey Guys,

I am by no means an authority in this school. I was accepted last cycle and decided to defer. I will be starting with the 2019 class next August. It was a real hard decision to defer but my family comes first and having a third baby in June took precedence over starting class this fall hence my deferment. I'll tell you guys about my application and hopefully I'll help some of you guys in this crazy process:

I applied in November 2013, received a secondary in December and received an invite in Jan 2014. When they send you an ii, school will give you a set of dates to choose from in order to schedule the interview.

A good friend of mine told me about LUCOM and I was literally blown away by the school! I'm from Miami and I interviewed on 2/4/14. There were so many amazing applicants that I felt a bit intimidated by them. I'm non-trad student, married with two kiddos. As soon as the presentation began, however, I forgot any prior inhibitions about my application (24MCAT/3.3 uGPA/ 3.2 gGPA) and the school itself. I don't know how they do it but man these people really go out of their way to make you feel wanted. After lunch I had an hour before my interview, so I spoke to a few staff members. One of the people I had the pleasure of speaking with was Ben Smith. We spoke about the school and the city itself. I told him about my family and Miami. Without a thought, he offered to take me around the city after the interview. For me that was the selling point. I took a whole bunch of pics to sell the school back home to my fam - it's not easy leaving the beautiful city of Miami for a small town in Virginia but I'm sold.

The interview process was exactly how everyone prior to the interview told us it would be like: 2 sessions of 30 minutes each to find out about you and the school itself. As you are interviewed, they really get a sense of who you are and how you would meet LUCOM's mission’s statement. The school has no problems telling you from the beginning about their Christian believes and how they expect all of the students to be mindful and respectful of that fact. If you respect their principles, they respect yours. I was interviewed with a few non-christians applicants and the staff never brought up any religion aspect/opinion. We did not pray nor did we talk about our own individual believes like previous post have said. I actually was the only one who prayed silently before our lunch was served.

Most of the questions before and during the interview circled around you as an individual instead of your numbers. On both interviews, if you go over the 30 minutes, the interviewer will politely ask you to finish since there are a few other candidates waiting to be interviewed. I honestly could have stay with Dr. Ianuzzo for a good 2 hours talking about his research and medical ethics. The staff this school has recruited is amazing!

I interviewed with Dr. Gish and Dr. Ianuzzo. Dr. Gish was very direct and ask about my grades , my post bacc experience, about other schools I had applied to and why LUCOM. He also asked me about life and the value I place on it. The last question was very abstract and I babbled for about a minute before I realized how simple the answer was. We talked about OMM and the half hour was up.

With Dr. Ianuzzo, I felt as though I was talking to a long lost friend who I had not seen in the last 10 years and I only had 30 minutes to catch him up. The first 15 minutes were devoted to my secondary and my aacomas essays. Then he asked a series of rapid-fire questions and before I knew it I was asked to make room for the next guest.

All in all my experience was amazing. I felt as though they were really interested in getting to know me above anything else. My interview was on 02/04/2014 and I received a phone call from the Dean at 5:50 on 02/10/2014 to let me know I was accepted.

Last year was my third year applying and I received three interviews, I was waitlisted at two schools and received one admission.

If you guys need/want anything, please feel free to PM. The 2018 students are amazing and knowing the staff at LUCOM, I can definitely tell you the class of 2019 will not disappoint.

Ps: Please try not to be cynical and look at 2013-2014 LUCOM's thread. Don't listen to a*holes and help out your fellow SDNers. After all we are in medicine to help people so why not help your future classmates.

Hi, I have the understanding you are attending LUCOM right now, I have an II on the 26th, and I was wondering if you could give me some insight on the pros and cons of the school, whether they be small details or big ones, and your overall thoughts on the curriculum. I really appreciate it, thank you!

I'm surprised that I didn't hear back from them yet, especially since it's been over 20 business days.