Lincoln Memorial - DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would say that's fine.

I would agree with this. I have always erred on the side of caution with length and kept things very concise when no parameters are given. It has never failed me yet. The AdCom members will read thousands of applications this year - again, don't make them work for it.

I shared this with a fellow applicant but also wanted to interject it here as well. Remember that these essays, especially the time management one, are intended to find out how busy you've been. However, add some personality into them as well. Talk about your hobbies, your family, your friends, and how you've managed to interweave all of those with being very successful pre-medical students. The school wants to see that you're more than a GPA and an MCAT score. More than a person who will sit in the library studying 18 hours all day every day and burn out by Christmas. A person who can manage the immense load but still maintain sanity by hanging onto their hobbies, communicating with friends, touching base with family, and participating on campus.

Share all of your accomplishments, successes, and lessons learned. But please share the person behind the student, too. As always - my opinion may vary from others. It may be worth the price paid :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would anyone happen to know LMU's student success rate or average usmle scores? I have tried searching but was unable to find it myself.

Just slight correction and in case you are not familiar, Osteopathic Medicine traditionally participates in the COMLEX for licensure/progression. However, you also have the option to participate in the USMLE if you are looking to be a DO/MD. If you knew this but this question is specifically directed toward USMLE scores, then ignore this paragraph.

As for the average scores; I was not able to find them. However this link shows some insight into student acceptances into DO and MD residencies. For me, this is better than an average COMLEX/USMLE score. This shows that the students who go to LMU-DCOM perform plenty well on the exams to place into a desired residency.

http://lmu1.lmunet.edu/cgi-bin/adm/MySQLdb?VIEW=/news/view_one.txt&newsid=1420

Honestly, this is an excellent school and I cannot be any more excited to be going here.
:)

I called admissions the other day. They have not yet downloaded the AACOMAS apps. They expect to do that in the next 2 weeks. They also confirmed receipt of my secondary and LOR's. No need to wait to submit secondaries.

I called admissions the other day. They have not yet downloaded the AACOMAS apps. They expect to do that in the next 2 weeks. They also confirmed receipt of my secondary and LOR's. No need to wait to submit secondaries.

Just so that you (and anyone else who reads through these forums) know, the primary applications wont be available to schools until roughly the first week in July. The ACCOMAS and AMCAS application services will review through the applications. The first submitted applications will get there first, but it still takes a while to review all the grades, statements, experiences, etc. On average the websites says that you should expect the review process to take up to a month. I submitted my application June 3rd last year and it wasn't done being reviewed and sent to my universities until July 5th. When it comes to patience, this process sucks hard core. But! It is a sweet sweet feeling when you start to get interviews and acceptances. So, get your applications submitted, your LOR sent and secondaries answered as quickly as possible and then sit back, relax and know that you have done all that you can. Don't get discouraged either if you don't get an interview quickly. There are thousands of applicants and going through each application is time consuming. I didn't receive my first interview until the first week of November 2012. My last interview invite was March of 2013. This just goes to show that the window of opportunity to get an interview, perform well and get accepted is large.

Just so that you (and anyone else who reads through these forums) know, the primary applications wont be available to schools until roughly the first week in July. The ACCOMAS and AMCAS application services will review through the applications. The first submitted applications will get there first, but it still takes a while to review all the grades, statements, experiences, etc. On average the websites says that you should expect the review process to take up to a month. I submitted my application June 3rd last year and it wasn't done being reviewed and sent to my universities until July 5th. When it comes to patience, this process sucks hard core. But! It is a sweet sweet feeling when you start to get interviews and acceptances. So, get your applications submitted, your LOR sent and secondaries answered as quickly as possible and then sit back, relax and know that you have done all that you can. Don't get discouraged either if you don't get an interview quickly. There are thousands of applicants and going through each application is time consuming. I didn't receive my first interview until the first week of November 2012. My last interview invite was March of 2013. This just goes to show that the window of opportunity to get an interview, perform well and get accepted is large.

My MCAT won't release until July 23 and my committee LOR won't be posted to interfolio until mid July- should I go ahead and start/submit secondary materials?

Members don't see this ad :)
My MCAT won't release until July 23 and my committee LOR won't be posted to interfolio until mid July- should I go ahead and start/submit secondary materials?

You don't want to jump the gun and send your secondary before your primary has been submitted. However, as soon as your primary is complete with a verified MCAT score and you've submitted it go ahead and do the secondary. That's what the DCOM website says:

"After submission of the AACOMAS application the applicant should complete the LMU-DCOM Supplemental Application by creating an account here."

Source: http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/admissions/process.shtml

CopToEM,

Does the school provide laptops to the newly admitted students, or can students bring their own?

Is the school family friendly? are there many students with families in your class?

What is the cadaver per students ratio for the anatomy lab?

Thanks

So, slight correction; When I say get your primaries, LOR, and secondaries in as soon as possible, that means with reason. It was a little different with me on my secondaries. I submitted my Primaries in June, took the Mcat August 3th and the scores were posted in September. However, I submitted my Secondary at the end of July. The difference between mine and yours was that I had to print the application, fill it out by hand and mail it in. The website was down and DCOM recommended doing this as I mentioned before. By the time they got it and placed it in my file, my MCAT scores were only a few weeks out. I would wait to submit your secondary until about a week before your MCAT scores arrive. However, there is always the possibility that your score is not as great as you had hoped and you need to retake it, so waiting until you see the score could be wise before pushing submit. CopToEM has talked about this many times throughout the forum if you want to revert back to them. BUT! you can still answer all the questions and get it ready for submission.

CopToEM,

Does the school provide laptops to the newly admitted students, or can students bring their own?

Is the school family friendly? are there many students with families in your class?

What is the cadaver per students ratio for the anatomy lab?

Thanks

We get some nice laptop tablet computers. Most people take notes on OneNote with them. But a lot of people have and use their other laptops.

There are ton of people with families.

It was about a five or so students per donor per X and Y group.

We get some nice laptop tablet computers. Most people take notes on OneNote with them. But a lot of people have and use their other laptops.

There are ton of people with families.

It was about a five or so students per donor per X and Y group.

Thank you, DrMaximus.

Roughly, how much would be the rent of a decent 2BR apartment near the school?

That's pretty cheap. I pay for a one BR apartment 1100...but I live in SoCal.

I know what you mean, my house in norcal was $2000.

Wow...I think I am going to apply to this school in the future just for the cheap rent. Mine isn't as high as $2000, but it's still close to $1000 for a two bedroom in a slum lord apartment complex. lol

I had a 2 bedroom duplex at Ball, but they're petty high at about 775. I know there are some new ones, but I'm not completely sure what they cost.

Speaking of housing- how is the surrounding area? I know I've heard rural but is it a fairly safe community? Have any current students had any problems with crime/theft?

Speaking of housing- how is the surrounding area? I know I've heard rural but is it a fairly safe community? Have any current students had any problems with crime/theft?

I've not had any problems with anything at Ball. I even accidentally left my door wide open one day and nothing happened. A neighbor actually text me and shut it for me.

For those who have kids, how are the elementary schools in the area? what about malls/shopping centers? what fun activities do you guys do there?

There is a mall just over the Kentucky border in Middlesboro (about 10 minutes from campus). There is a Walmart in Middlesboro as well. The closest Target and Costco are near Knoxville, about 1.5 hours away. The area is beautiful with lots of outdoor activities to enjoy. My kids aren't old enough for school yet, but I know there are lots of families with kids.

did LMU officially send out secondary requests yet?

For those who have kids, how are the elementary schools in the area? what about malls/shopping centers? what fun activities do you guys do there?

We send our children to a private school (and so do most of the parents I know). On the plus side the private schools here are very cheap and your kids get a much better student to teacher ratio.

We send our children to a private school (and so do most of the parents I know). On the plus side the private schools here are very cheap and your kids get a much better student to teacher ratio.

I'm very interested in that!

How much would it cost me to enroll my son (will be 1st grade when I start) in a private school?

I'm very interested in that!

How much would it cost me to enroll my son (will be 1st grade when I start) in a private school?

My son was in 1st grade this last year and it cost me about $3000 total for the year for tuition, books, and uniforms.

I ended up getting a furnished 2 bedroom house for $700. It's much more economical to live with a roommate and split rent.

Our open floor plan 3bd/2.5bath house is $975/mo with no deposit. It's a house - roughly 3,000 square feet.

My son was in 1st grade this last year and it cost me about $3000 total for the year for tuition, books, and uniforms.

Can you give the name of the school? I will have 4 from grades K- 4. Target is 1.5hrs away? Dang. I hate WalMart.

target is 1.5hrs away? Dang. I hate walmart.

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1372798287.527445.jpg

Question about the secondary ....

Is it okay that I am not really adding that much new information compared to the primary besides the two essays?

My 3 professional experiences will be the exact same as what I have on AACOMAS.

For volunteer experience, I will just be adding one experience compared to AACOMAS......

Is this okay, or are they wanting new stuff??

Also, for my new experience, can I list it by hours (~30 hours) instead of "months" or "years"?

Can you give the name of the school? I will have 4 from grades K- 4. Target is 1.5hrs away? Dang. I hate WalMart.

Gateway Christian school in Middlesboro, KY.

It's a great school and the kids get a tremendous education (accelerated IMO).

Gateway Christian school in Middlesboro, KY.

It's a great school and the kids get a tremendous education (accelerated IMO).

Thanks! I will go ahead and look it up. I'm trying to find that kind of info out now just in case I am in that wonderful predicament of choosing between schools.

WalMart is a malignancy for sure. Kroger will do just fine.

Hey guys, this is question for students who are attending this school. Is there any racism problem here? the reason I ask is because my family had chance to visit the area and they had to face some racist comments because of their brown skin. They are not letting me apply here. It seems like a good school, I am sorry I am not trying to start anything here. Just want to know experience of people that live in the area.
Thank you

Hey guys, this is question for students who are attending this school. Is there any racism problem here? the reason I ask is because my family had chance to visit the area and they had to face some racist comments because of their brown skin. They are not letting me apply here. It seems like a good school, I am sorry I am not trying to start anything here. Just want to know experience of people that live in the area.
Thank you

(full disclosure, never visited the school but have many friends in the area)

It's in a very, very rural area...there will be some people who are racist around. There are also racists everywhere you go. You won't experience the same likelihood on campus as it's a bunch of educated people from around the country. There is also something to be said for adopting the policy that why people don't like you is irrelevant. There will always be someone who can find a reason to not like you. Ignore them and move on with your life.

Your family not letting you apply somewhere sounds like you need to address boundaries and your decision making authority.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't it your decision where you apply? If you like the school, check it out yourself, don't base it off what your family says.

Thank you guys for reply! I feel little at ease in making my decision now.
I agree my family is on little protective side and I was concerned about safety that is it. I do make my own decisions I am just trying not to give them opportunity to say "I told you so" :), :p.

Thank you guys for reply! I feel little at ease in making my decision now.
I agree my family is on little protective side and I was concerned about safety that is it. I do make my own decisions I am just trying not to give them opportunity to say "I told you so" :), :p.

Safety is definitely not an issue. I haven't heard of anyone being mistreated or threatened since I've been here.

Safety is definitely not an issue. I haven't heard of anyone being mistreated or threatened since I've been here.

This.

Thank you

I definitely don't look like I belong in the town and my religious beliefs also set me apart from everyone but I haven't had any issues.

They are still seating the class of 2017 and have not started downloading letters or processing the secondaries for 2018 yet....it will happen soon

(Paraphrase via email from admissions)

Hi

Do any of the current DCOM students mind commenting on the 3rd/4th year rotations? Would really appreciate it. Thank you.