Lincoln Memorial - DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They are still seating the class of 2017 and have not started downloading letters or processing the secondaries for 2018 yet....it will happen soon

(Paraphrase via email from admissions)

wait what?
are you saying they are processing the secondaries w/o sending secondary requests? bull

Members don't see this ad.

wait what?
are you saying they are processing the secondaries w/o sending secondary requests? bull

The secondary "request" is written on their website. Fill out their online secondary after submitting your primary to AACOMAS.

Members don't see this ad :)
The secondary "request" is written on their website. Fill out their online secondary after submitting your primary to AACOMAS.

Quick question... I submitted like 10 days ago, but my app hasn't been verified yet. Should I still fill the secondary out?

Quick question... I submitted like 10 days ago, but my app hasn't been verified yet. Should I still fill the secondary out?

I'm in the same boat I actually submitted almost 2 weeks ago and still not verified? How long in between verification and secondary requests is the typical time frame?

Hey guys, this is question for students who are attending this school. Is there any racism problem here? the reason I ask is because my family had chance to visit the area and they had to face some racist comments because of their brown skin. They are not letting me apply here. It seems like a good school, I am sorry I am not trying to start anything here. Just want to know experience of people that live in the area.
Thank you

Some rural communities tend to be more close minded -stuck in the past- in some respects. Don't know about Harrogate though, never been there.

What do you mean they are not letting you apply? Do you need to ask for permission to do that?

Last edited:
His parents may be paying for him to go. If my parents paid my tuition I'd do whatever the hell they told me.

I guess this is a valid point. I would think that as a smart adult, capable of independent thought and of taking important personal decisions that will impact the rest of his/her life, not that of his parents so much, he/she would be willing to be more assertive.

If this is indeed the case, a free ride is an important decision too. After all, all expenses paid may be able to override all your personal choices or preferences.

I'm in the same boat I actually submitted almost 2 weeks ago and still not verified? How long in between verification and secondary requests is the typical time frame?

The primary verifying process takes about a month. I submitted June 4th and was complete July 3rd 2013. I would go through and answer all the secondary questions on your laptop. About a week or a week and a half before primary is verified (about a month from submit date) I would cut, paste and submit your secondary. Honestly, they aren't going to rule you out as a suitable candidate because you happened to send your secondary before they got your primary. They will simply great your file and put your secondary in it until your primary is received.

wait what?

Many schools will send out secondaries even before your primary is verified. Once your application is submitted and going through the verification process, ACCOMAS and AMCAS will send emails to schools notifying them that you are applying to their school. This allows schools to send secondary requests to students so that they can get working on them and submit them before or right when the primary is verified. When I submitted my application June 4th last year I received several secondaries about a week later (before my primary was done being verified). I filled them out on my computer and then cut, paste and submitted about a week before my primary was expected to be finished reviewing.

But, along with what sb247 and 1012526fs, the school is still going through 2017 applications to fill the class.

I am a recent graduate of LMU DCOM. The 3rd year rotations are about on the same line with the review of NJ above. There a couple hospitals in Memphis and Knoxville that are available as core sites that may provide adequate training that is on par with national standards in regards to medical education. However due to the limited number of openings, only people who are fortunate enough to snag one of those spots through the lottery system are able to go there. The majority of students end up at (very) small rural/community hospitals that could not be less academic. In my IM months I wrote zero notes, did zero procedures, and usually left by 1-5 o'clock. My GYN was a joke, no pelvic exams. I did assist on one c section and help deliver 2 babies. Other than that it was 9-3 standing around watching a rural doc try to get out the door. Peds was nothing but shadowing a doc in clinic, no note writing, no seeing kids in the hospital. Phych was just sitting in a clinic watching a guy write ssri's to everyone. Surgery was following around a very disinterested rural surgeon who came in at 9-10, did a couple of cases, saw a few people in the office, then went home. I rarely had any independent responsibilites in surgery (or any other core rotation for that matter).

In my entire third year, can't remember a note I wrote, or a procedure I performed, yet I paid $35k for the year. I have heard that DCOM does not pay the sites or the preceptor's, so I have no idea where that money is going (though I have an idea). When I started as a first year, they didn't have a lot of sites but I was told they were always adding more, and because it was a new school, I wasn't too worried. But in my four years, they didn't add a single core site; in fact, they lost a few.

4th year was pretty much the same. I had to schedule all my electives on my own with minimal help from the school. Despite paying $37k for tuition, there were like 2 employees dedicated to the clinical sites and they were always unavailable and unhelpful.

My fist two years at DCOM were very adequate and they provided a good education in that regard. The campus is state of the art and they seem to have a good grip on how to bring the resources together for the first two years. However, it is very obvious that the quality of clinicals at DCOM is not a priority. On top of that, they just upped their class size to over 250. They did not have enough clinical resources to educate the students when they had class sizes at 160. There is no way they will be able to even come close to having adequate clinical education for that many people. I find it irresponsible, reckless, and just plain wrong that they would do something like jack up their attendance knowing full well that they have no ability to educate everyone..

I have to say that I am thankful for what I was able to accomplish through DCOM. They gave me an opportunity to be a physician and for that I must be extremely grateful. I was able to match at the resident specialty of my choice. However, it is very obvious that you must go above and beyond and scratch and claw to get your education while at DCOM.

PS: I typed this on my phone so please excuse the mistakes.

Need some advice, I found this from the Osteopathic Class thread and was interested in this school... until now. I have also heard the same from other current and past classmates. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks

~

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Need some advice, I found this from the Osteopathic Class thread and was interested in this school... until now. I have also heard the same from other current and past classmates. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks

I just have to say, you're going to find this situation at a lot of DO schools. Granted, some of the really established ones don't have this problem as much, but most still do to an extent. I've heard exactly the opposite about DCOM just as much as I've heard the bad. If you're going to let this completely rule a school out for you, you should only apply MD.

does anyone know how we can check the status of our app? meaning is there a way to check it online or should I just call? Excited to hear back! GA resident, one of my top 3 choices!

does anyone know how we can check the status of our app? meaning is there a way to check it online or should I just call? Excited to hear back! GA resident, one of my top 3 choices!

Don't know, but please post what you find out about your app. I submitted a secondary at least a couple of weeks ago and haven't heard anything on whether or not they have it but not wanting to bother them yet, since others are saying they're still working on 2017 apps.

K guys, its easier said than done, but have a little patience. I know what it is like to wait to hear anything from schools, but the season just opened up and has an entire year until it closes. I would say that you have about a month before you start hearing from schools because they are still finishing up the end of last years applications. The school year starts at the end of the month, you should start hearing back by August, depending on the strength of your application. My opinion, as a rule of thumb, if you haven't heard from a school in about a month or two from the time you submit your secondary, then give them a call and check the status. Just remember that there are several hundred students applying to medical school and by calling them frequently you risk giving them the impression that you are impatient. Give it a month before you call a school. Don't worry, you haven't been forgotten. Good luck, just sit back and relax. You will get a phone call or email eventually inviting you for an interview.

In answer to the question before, if when you filled out your secondary you had to create and account, you should be able to go back to this account and check the status. Most likely it will just say "submitted and processing" or just "processing". For example, Rocky vista was like this and so was Oklahoma State. As for LMU, there is no way of checking without calling. Unless they created something new this year. Good luck.

Don't know, but please post what you find out about your app. I submitted a secondary at least a couple of weeks ago and haven't heard anything on whether or not they have it but not wanting to bother them yet, since others are saying they're still working on 2017 apps.

Just to up the excitement a little, I see on our schedule that the first day of interviews is Friday, September 6th. It's coming up fast. :thumbup:

Woohoo!!!! Let the interviews begin! Although I still have to submit the secondary app ;) lol I just got verified today!! Super excited and interested to hear from this school and this thread is full of so many eager students look forward to meeting some of you :)
some of the other threads are so quite it seems

Just to up the excitement a little, I see on our schedule that the first day of interviews is Friday, September 6th. It's coming up fast. :thumbup:

Random question, but how do you sign up to help out with the pizza nights? I want to do that next year!

Anyone know if the admissions committee has started looking at apps yet? And if so, will they be sending out interview invites anytime soon?

Anyone know if the admissions committee has started looking at apps yet? And if so, will they be sending out interview invites anytime soon?

they said they won't be til 2nd week of august since they are still trying to finalize the incoming class

Does it matter if I submit one of my LOR that is dated from last year? or will I need to have it updated then submit it?

Does it matter if I submit one of my LOR that is dated from last year? or will I need to have it updated then submit it?

It probably won't get rejected or anything but if it's easy to have the date updated I probably would. It would probably be more meaningful if it were a letter from within the past year.

Then those ii's have to start flowing soon ;). Fingers crossed!

All of my letters were at least one year old. It didn't seem to be a problem.

Just submitted!
Apparently they are still working for the 2017 class atm

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk 2

Submitted secondary today as well as sent LoR's via Interfolio.

Got a secondary invite email today. Says to disregard if you've anyway done it, which I have. I've just got no way of adding the lmu id that I just got. Oh well, guess we'll see what happens.

I received a link to the secondary but it is not working it saying I do not have permission to view this directory or page.

Got a secondary invite email today. Says to disregard if you've anyway done it, which I have. I've just got no way of adding the lmu id that I just got. Oh well, guess we'll see what happens.

:thumbup:

Very happy to see they are starting to get the ball rolling!

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I emailed Rebecca to cover my bases, but I'm assuming it's not a big deal since there's no way we could have known.

Just submitted!
Apparently they are still working for the 2017 class atm

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk 2

Heard anything yet regarding interviews? Just submitted my secondary today!

Do we just go to their website and submit a secondary? I've been waiting for an e-mail with the secondary app but nothing. Thank you!

Do we just go to their website and submit a secondary? I've been waiting for an e-mail with the secondary app but nothing. Thank you!

Yeah you access it through their website- no need to wait for one to be sent to you.

Heard anything yet regarding interviews? Just submitted my secondary today!

Interviews are scheduled to start on September 6th. This is according to the class schedule, may not be 100% accurate.

Interviews are scheduled to start on September 6th. This is according to the class schedule, may not be 100% accurate.

If that's true, invites should be forthcoming in order to give students time to schedule trips etc.

For the letters of reference in the secondary application, there is a "Date Requested" section...is that asking for the date we asked the professor for the letter or the date in which we request them to be sent (such as from Interfolio)?

Has anyone received communication from this school? Other than the e-mail that they received my secondary I have not gotten anything (no we received your primary from AACOMAS, complete etc).

Has anyone gotten a complete e-mail or any communication?

I have received a complete email today

I received a complete email after reaching our to Mr. Noble

I received a complete email after reaching our to Mr. Noble

I never received an email, but my status shows "marked complete" as of 8/8.

For anyone who hasn't seen, if you login and then click on "my account" in the top right corner, you will see your status.