Loyola vs Drexel vs Temple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

linkin06

We are all witnesses.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i got accepted to loyola today. i was thinking of withdrawing from drexel and temple (give you guys those interview opportunities!). part of this came from reading this thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=87701

the thread was from 2003 though, so i wasn't sure if the situation is still the same.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm all for more interview spots opening up :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't be that helpful because I've only interviewed at Temple, but i deinitely wouldn't go by that 2003 thread. I glanced at it and regarding temple they were talking about it being on probation for having substandard facilities, which is pretty much the opposite of their brand new med building. I liked it a lot when i visited, but I haven't been to the other 2 so I really have no way to compare. Hopefully someone with knowledge of all 3 will chime in!

I can't speak for Drexel or Temple, but I absolutely love Loyola. It's full of amazing people, and I couldn't be happier anywhere else. Please feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions regarding Loyola--I'm always happy to talk about my school.

My advice to you would be to think about where you'd be happiest. You will be in medical school for four years, and it is where you build the foundation of your medical vocation. Think about which school you felt like you fit in and which school had the type of students/people that you see yourself enjoying studying and learning with. Consider which geographical area you will be happier in. And look carefully at the curriculum of each school--my friend at UPenn said she wished she would have done that before choosing where to go.

I guess the simplest piece of advice I have is to go to the school that will best help you become the physician and the person that you are hoping (and meant) to be.

I've only interviewed at Drexel, so I can only give you my thoughts on it...

I have mixed reviews on the school. Yes, the class size is technically large, but with their two separate curriculums, it's like there are two separate med schools. Personally, I loved the PIL program - very unique, with only 70 students in it. But, I am torn. They also have all their training hospitals spread out through PA and NJ, meaning that most likely for your third year rotations you have to move every 6 weeks or so...and I hate moving :/

I don't know too much about Temple, but I hear it's put a lot into development.

I say you have every right to keep those interviews and go to see if the schools are a "fit" for you. But, if you've already been accepted into other schools you are leaning heavily towards, then it might be a waste of time and money...

In the Chicago area Loyola has a pretty good reputation. Many of my friends in Chicago pick Loyola for its facilities and cooperative atmosphere. Drexel like others have said has a huge class size (>250), that seems a bit intimidating, and the rotations are sort of scattered across a wide area. Drexel is almost the same size as UIC, except UIC has 3 campuses, with the Chicago campus having just 170 students.

Status
Not open for further replies.