Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good news! I just found out all orientation materials are refundable up to June 26, and the only thing that's not refundable is the name tag.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Someone please correct me if I'm misunderstanding the immunization directions, but I am currently under the impression that if you already have had all your vaccines, then all you need is proof of the vaccine completions and blood work done to determine the titers for each.

Did either of you ask if you could make an appointment to stop by and just get blood work done, rather than seeing the doctor then having it done? They may be able to get you in faster. I had mine done recently and the office is mailing me a copy of the titer reports as well as a print out of all of my past immunizations from MCIR. Also, you could call around or ask your pediatrician for locations they recommend for immunizations/titers, I know that one of the hospitals near me allows people who need this done for school/work to come in and have it done there.

I'm only saying this because I saw on another thread that if your titers come back too low to prove immunity, you may need a booster and to wait for 1-2 months before repeating the blood work. Not sure how important it is to be 100% done with all of this before the deadline though.
Good call! I'm gonna call my pediatrician for advice and see if I can get the ball rolling on these titers. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Good news! I just found out all orientation materials are refundable up to June 26, and the only thing that's not refundable is the name tag.

Up until June 26th? That's great news! But doesn't orientation start June 7th and classes June 12th? I mean, I don't mind the extra time. But it seems odd to extend the refund until a few weeks after school starts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought it sounded odd too, but that's what the school told me! Maybe they account for some extra time in case kids get off wait lists later into June and drop msucom?
Up until June 26th? That's great news! But doesn't orientation start June 7th and classes June 12th? I mean, I don't mind the extra time. But it seems odd to extend the refund until a few weeks after school starts.

Perma lurker conflicted on whether to post here or not.....BUT accepted today! OOS :') i cry

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats to everyone else as well :) Is there an accepted students Facebook page so we can connect with roomies and future bffs?

Haven't checked in on SDN in a while, is there a Facebook group for accepted students?

Also, on the orientation materials...do we actually need a SOMA membership? Not really interested.

Reactions: 1 users
Haven't checked in on SDN in a while, is there a Facebook group for accepted students?

Also, on the orientation materials...do we actually need a SOMA membership? Not really interested.
"This is the osteopathic organization that all students are required to become members of" from the orientation order instructions.

Just paid my deposit! Can't believe this is happening!

Interviewed 02/15. I am on the edge of my seat waiting to hear back! Fingers crossed!

Members don't see this ad :)
"This is the osteopathic organization that all students are required to become members of" from the orientation order instructions.
Damn I wish I could read

Am I naive for hoping any expense at all will be included in the $200k I'm going to be paying for tuition? :dead:

Hello all! Recently accepted student here. Has anyone recently called the office to ask which campuses are still available. I really want to get placed in EL, and I've heard that it's usually the last one to get filled, but I wanted to see if anyone here could provide some insight. Thanks!!

Accepted this week, wait listed for the Lansing campus as that was my first choice, placed at macomb because that is the only one with openings.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Hello all! Recently accepted student here. Has anyone recently called the office to ask which campuses are still available. I really want to get placed in EL, and I've heard that it's usually the last one to get filled, but I wanted to see if anyone here could provide some insight. Thanks!!

Both DMC and EL are currently full! However, my friend who was also accepted called the office and they basically said that EL usually opens up as time goes on. Keep in mind though that all 3 campuses have their perks and you'll get the same education at all of them. Good luck!

I saw there is another interview date on 03/29! Shocked to see how late they're interviewing! Although I guess it shouldn't be too surprising if the amount of people applying is exponentially increasing

the waitlist silence is deafening...anyone have an idea as to when most of the waitlist shift occurs?

Sooo, I'll be +2 with the parentals for Closer Look Day after all...

Hey guys! I know some of the campuses are full and there are wait-lists to be placed at these campuses if seats open up. But, do any of you know if MSUCOM would be willing to consider very specific personal circumstances in which it would be almost impossible for you to be at any of the other campuses except a particular one? Do you think they would accommodate if I shared my concerns with them?

Hey guys! I know some of the campuses are full and there are wait-lists to be placed at these campuses if seats open up. But, do any of you know if MSUCOM would be willing to consider very specific personal circumstances in which it would be almost impossible for you to be at any of the other campuses except a particular one? Do you think they would accommodate if I shared my concerns with them?
This happened last year but most likely will have to wait one semester until some people at the site you want drop. We got three people from MUC and one from EL that transferred to the DMC due to commute issues for example. They had to wait one or two semesters to switch though.

Sent from my A1-840FHD using SDN mobile

Hey, I'm not sure if this makes a difference or not but I requested a specific campus due to extenuating circumstances and was granted my request! My advice would be to email the admissions office explaining your situation. They were super accommodating for me! Good luck!

Ordered the orientation stuff.... ready to get my student information so I can advance this apartment shopping. Any suggestions on student groups for sub leasing apart from Craigslist?

Does anybody know the name of the scholarship for OOS students that lowers the tuition from $80k to 60k? Can someone attach a link

Are you positive?
There is one scholarship specifically for OOS students:

Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine Non-Resident Student Scholarship
Eligibility: Students who are incoming to the College of Osteopathic Medicine or in their first or second year of study.

Criteria: Scholarship recipients must be non-residents of the State of Michigan at the time of enrollment and during their enrollment in the College of Osteopathic Medicine, in good academic standing as determined by the College of Osteopathic Medicine, demonstrate financial need and demonstrate a strong commitment to osteopathic medicine.

Amount: Shall be determined by the College of Osteopathic Medicine considering the amount of income available and number of applications. Scholarships will follow recipients for one year. Incoming and first year student recipients may re-apply for scholarships during their first year of study in the College of Osteopathic Medicine.

Application process: Two-page letter of application explaining why the student is uniquely qualified for the scholarship based on the stated criteria and an interview with the College Scholarship Committee. The College Scholarship Committee will select recipients from the applicant pool. Notification of the award will be made during Fall Semester with the award to be effective Fall Semester and the following Spring Semester. Award credited to tuition.

Application due date: January 5

There is one scholarship specifically for OOS students:

Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine Non-Resident Student Scholarship
Eligibility: Students who are incoming to the College of Osteopathic Medicine or in their first or second year of study.

Criteria: Scholarship recipients must be non-residents of the State of Michigan at the time of enrollment and during their enrollment in the College of Osteopathic Medicine, in good academic standing as determined by the College of Osteopathic Medicine, demonstrate financial need and demonstrate a strong commitment to osteopathic medicine.

Amount: Shall be determined by the College of Osteopathic Medicine considering the amount of income available and number of applications. Scholarships will follow recipients for one year. Incoming and first year student recipients may re-apply for scholarships during their first year of study in the College of Osteopathic Medicine.

Application process: Two-page letter of application explaining why the student is uniquely qualified for the scholarship based on the stated criteria and an interview with the College Scholarship Committee. The College Scholarship Committee will select recipients from the applicant pool. Notification of the award will be made during Fall Semester with the award to be effective Fall Semester and the following Spring Semester. Award credited to tuition.

Application due date: January 5
Thanks so much! And the deadline is this upcoming January?

Dang, that doesn't even make sense for a date lol.

Thanks so much! And the deadline is this upcoming January?
Actually the deadline to submit for scholarship applications was the January that just passed, I submitted my application in December. But I would email Dr. Falls and ask him!

Actually the deadline to submit for scholarship applications was the January that just passed, I submitted my application in December. But I would email Dr. Falls and ask him!
Scholarship deadline before a good amount of the incoming class is accepted :cryi:

I was Tier I wait listed here and accepted at MSUCHM. Someone convince me one way or another which school I should attend assuming I am pulled off of the wait list here. I am 99% sure I'll pick MSUCHM in the end but I want to hear what anyone might have to say.

I was Tier I wait listed here and accepted at MSUCHM. Someone convince me one way or another which school I should attend assuming I am pulled off of the wait list here. I am 99% sure I'll pick MSUCHM in the end but I want to hear what anyone might have to say.
I literally cannot think of a single reason to put any waitlisted DO school over an MD acceptance

I'll probably get some hate for this but I'd pick COM over CHM every time. Personally, I think I fit in way more at COM than CHM, and based on that I believe I'll gain a more fulfilling medical education at COM than CHM. I really do not like where CHM is going with their curriculum. However, I'm probably biased towards COM because I've paid a handful of visits to that school and each time was overwhelmingly positive, I fell in love with it a long time ago. It would be cool to live in downtown Grand Rapids though....

Good luck to you in whatever you choose! We would love to have you at COM!

100% CHM, an acceptance vs. a waitlist is even more important than the MD vs. DO thing. Take it and run, fam.

100% CHM, an acceptance vs. a waitlist is even more important than the MD vs. DO thing. Take it and run, fam.
I personally love COM and would choose it again, in retrospect, over the schools I turned down. I'd say it sounds like you're not so sold on COM being a good fit for you. From that perspective, I'd say to take your CHM spot and leave the COM spot for someone who really wants it. :)

Wellp. I am $1,000 poorer, but happy to officially be part of the MSUCOM fam :biglove:

Has anyone that interviewed on 2/15 heard back yet?

Is the deposit due tonight at midnight or tomorrow at midnight?