Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah that Fall semester is pretty much all of undergrad condensed down into one semester! Some of those classes only had 2 exams so people who did bad on the first one were stuck in a vicious cycle of having to sacrifice another class to save themselves . But you have anatomy first so don't worry about the fall lol.

I definitely remember the anxious/excited feeling! You guys are in the best part of med school, telling everyone you are in without having to do any work yet lol. Take some trips, spend time with family and friends and have some fun. DON'T WORRY OR LOOK AT ANYTHING SCHOOL RELATED! Thankfully MSUCOM does a nice job of easing you in with anatomy over the summer so you'll be able to get your feet under you and enjoy your summer a little bit.

Our class and your Big Sib will also be a huge asset to help you all get acclimated. I'm actually going to a meeting this week for Peer Mentor training for your class.

Sent from my XT1650 using SDN mobile

Thank you so much for the advice! Im definitely avoiding any pre-studying and do plan on taking a vacation or two. Currently in my last semester of undergrad and senioritis hit me hard lol.

Definitely sounds like MSU has a lot of resources put in place to help us succeed! Do you know if the Big sib program starts right away in the summer or later in the fall?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for the advice! Im definitely avoiding any pre-studying and do plan on taking a vacation or two. Currently in my last semester of undergrad and senioritis hit me hard lol.

Definitely sounds like MSU has a lot of resources put in place to help us succeed! Do you know if the Big sib program starts right away in the summer or later in the fall?

It starts right away. You'll get an email closer to your start day with a survey. It asks you various things like your specialty interests, personal social style and ways that you think you want to be involved on campus. Then it will match you with someone from our class who has similar interests as you! Becoming a little Sib is optional but I would recommend doing it. You can talk to them as much or as little as you feel comfortable once classes start. It is nice to have the contact info of a current student because you will have questions/anxieties. Plus your big Sib will meet and have lunch with you during your orientation day. It's pretty neat. My big Sib gave me some pretty good tips and resources to start out.

Reactions: 1 users
And for any of you DMC people I'll be signing up to be a big sib so one of you will be stuck with me

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! For anyone who was wondering about which orientation items are refundable, I just emailed Beth Courey asking. She is OOTO until Monday but as soon as I find out I will post here!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys! For anyone who was wondering about which orientation items are refundable, I just emailed Beth Courey asking. She is OOTO until Monday but as soon as I find out I will post here!
You da real MVP. Thanks!

Anyone else get the Closer Look Day email? It says to RSVP by using the attachment, but there was no attachment with the email...

Reactions: 6 users
Did anyone just get the closer look day email again, still with no attachment?

Reactions: 6 users
Alright fam this Q is for all of the non-trust fund babies.

I filled out my FAFSA, have not completed the Stafford or GradPLUS apps yet. Those are the three big sources of aid right? Anything need based I'm SOL since my parents are very well off. Judging by their website it's basically these three if you're not doing anything need based.

Alright fam this Q is for all of the non-trust fund babies.

I filled out my FAFSA, have not completed the Stafford or GradPLUS apps yet. Those are the three big sources of aid right? Anything need based I'm SOL since my parents are very well off. Judging by their website it's basically these three if you're not doing anything need based.
Correct; through FAFSA you will be eligible for Stafford and GradPLUS. You'll get $40,500 per year from Stafford with the rest made up by GradPLUS up to the official MSUCOM cost of attendance (tuition + estimated cost of living). For these, your parents' income will not matter since you are technically independent as a medical student.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Cant answer your q but I believe we get a week off at the end of august and a long weekend for july 4th if ur tryna plan a vacation, if that helps at all lol

MSUCOM's website is a bit of a mess. Hard to find Class of 2021 stuff as sometimes old classes stuff is mixed in. Thanks for letting me know.

To anyone who was recently accepted, do you know when the deposit deadline is? I can't seem to find it on my portal.

does anyone know the chances of canadian applicants being accepted if on the 1st tier waitlist?

does anyone know the chances of canadian applicants being accepted if on the 1st tier waitlist?

I think it just depends on where you are on the waitlist and not where you're from. It's likely that MSUCOM would categorize applicants based on merit as opposed to regional status. That being said, I could be totally wrong. From what I know though, most applicants placed on the tier 1 waitlist have a pretty good chance of getting in regardless of where they're from. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Do decisions usually come Tuesday or Thursday?

The wait isn't fun.

Guessing they're not sending out any more II?

Please send me the rejection now so I don't need to drag this to April...

Anybody know if the 6 guest limit for the white coat ceremony a firm 6 guests? would like to invite a little bit more than 6

Did anyone end up getting the form to RSVP to second look day? I got two emails for it, but neither of them contained the attachment

Hey guys! I'm an OOS-er who recently interviewed here. I loved it so much! I know they said we'd hear back within 30 days but is there a more accurate estimate? I'm so anxious -I want to attend!!!

Does anyone know if there's any sort of financial aid that would cover getting a new laptop? My current laptop doesn't meet the requirements (it's reaaaaaaal old) and I'm not really in a place to be spending $800+ out of pocket for a new one. I'll probably call and ask anyway, but just wondering if anyone else is encountering this problem

Does anyone know if there's any sort of financial aid that would cover getting a new laptop? My current laptop doesn't meet the requirements (it's reaaaaaaal old) and I'm not really in a place to be spending $800+ out of pocket for a new one. I'll probably call and ask anyway, but just wondering if anyone else is encountering this problem
Financial Aid tab says you can receive a special increase in funds (1 time deal) to supplement getting a laptop this summer. Just have to call them and work it out

Hey guys! I'm an OOS-er who recently interviewed here. I loved it so much! I know they said we'd hear back within 30 days but is there a more accurate estimate? I'm so anxious -I want to attend!!!

Some people get the call like a week later and some about 30 days later (myself included). So I would say you can't really estimate.

My friend who is also admitted called the office, and you RSVP by responding to the email! You're allowed to bring two guests.

Awesome, thank you!

Anyone else planning on bringing their parents around? I dont want to be the only one

Awesome, thank you!

Anyone else planning on bringing their parents around? I dont want to be the only one

Hahaha! I would like to know this too. Kinda feel like I'd like to be free (without my parents) to mingle with classmates/professors though :D

I planned on introducing my mom and dad to the dean in hopes on increasing my chances of matching derm

not srs

Reactions: 5 users
I planned on introducing my mom and dad to the dean in hopes on increasing my chances of matching derm

not srs
And I accidentally missed the "and dad" when I was reading.

Reactions: 5 users
Last edited:
Anybody know if the 6 guest limit for the white coat ceremony a firm 6 guests? would like to invite a little bit more than 6
It's not firm but try your best to keep it around 6. There are no tickets. I think I had like 8 there. The auditorium isn't the biggest. Some people from out of state won't use all of their spots.

Anyone else feeling pretty out of the loop in terms of MSUCOM communication? All so know is orientation materials due feb 28 and work on the "prematriculation experience (lol)."

Pretty nervous about financial aid coming through. Their website has conflicting information about the process beyond FAFSA. I try to apply for Gradplus and it says MSU is not a participating member.

Anyone else feeling pretty out of the loop in terms of MSUCOM communication? All so know is orientation materials due feb 28 and work on the "prematriculation experience (lol)."

Pretty nervous about financial aid coming through. Their website has conflicting information about the process beyond FAFSA. I try to apply for Gradplus and it says MSU is not a participating member.
I think come March we get a lot more info, with your student ID's and all that ish.

The only other things that we should be doing (that I'm aware of) is the immunizations/blood work and background check and finger prints.

I was afraid the background check or fingerprints would take forever to go through so I paid and went ahead with it, ended up taking like a week. Just a heads up for anyone else who may want to wait on starting that process!

Anyone have any suggestions for getting the immunization form filled out? I havent seen a PCP doc since my pediatrician like 4 years ago, and just picked a new PCP who cant get me in till may.

Anyone have any suggestions for getting the immunization form filled out? I havent seen a PCP doc since my pediatrician like 4 years ago, and just picked a new PCP who cant get me in till may.

In the meantime, you could go to your pediatrician's office and ask for a copy of your immunization records to see what you have/haven't completed. Maybe go to an urgent care also to get your TB test done. I'm in the same boat....Picked a new PCP who I can't see until late April o_O

In the meantime, you could go to your pediatrician's office and ask for a copy of your immunization records to see what you have/haven't completed. Maybe go to an urgent care also to get your TB test done. I'm in the same boat....Picked a new PCP who I can't see until late April o_O

Thanks for the heads up! I actually had my sister pick it up yesterday! Hoping i dont need anything that takes a while, i think CVS does TB tests too not sure if theres a large price difference or not. I know my school's health clinic does immunizations but they dont accept insurance sadly lol

Thanks for the heads up! I actually had my sister pick it up yesterday! Hoping i dont need anything that takes a while, i think CVS does TB tests too not sure if theres a large price difference or not. I know my school's health clinic does immunizations but they dont accept insurance sadly lol

Someone please correct me if I'm misunderstanding the immunization directions, but I am currently under the impression that if you already have had all your vaccines, then all you need is proof of the vaccine completions and blood work done to determine the titers for each.

Did either of you ask if you could make an appointment to stop by and just get blood work done, rather than seeing the doctor then having it done? They may be able to get you in faster. I had mine done recently and the office is mailing me a copy of the titer reports as well as a print out of all of my past immunizations from MCIR. Also, you could call around or ask your pediatrician for locations they recommend for immunizations/titers, I know that one of the hospitals near me allows people who need this done for school/work to come in and have it done there.

I'm only saying this because I saw on another thread that if your titers come back too low to prove immunity, you may need a booster and to wait for 1-2 months before repeating the blood work. Not sure how important it is to be 100% done with all of this before the deadline though.

Someone please correct me if I'm misunderstanding the immunization directions, but I am currently under the impression that if you already have had all your vaccines, then all you need is proof of the vaccine completions and blood work done to determine the titers for each.

Did either of you ask if you could make an appointment to stop by and just get blood work done, rather than seeing the doctor then having it done? They may be able to get you in faster. I had mine done recently and the office is mailing me a copy of the titer reports as well as a print out of all of my past immunizations from MCIR. Also, you could call around or ask your pediatrician for locations they recommend for immunizations/titers, I know that one of the hospitals near me allows people who need this done for school/work to come in and have it done there.

I'm only saying this because I saw on another thread that if your titers come back too low to prove immunity, you may need a booster and to wait for 1-2 months before repeating the blood work. Not sure how important it is to be 100% done with all of this before the deadline though.

Yes from my understanding that is correct! I just made an appointment to get the blood work done, i was just worried about how long the blood work took to get done. But those are good suggestions, thank you very much! I'll make some calls and see if someone can do it sooner!