Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Am I the only one still waiting for 1/12 decisions?? :shifty:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think so... Most of the people who got a call so far from the 1/12 interview said that they were IS. So, I think OS and Canadians haven't been called yet? This would make sense since IS students are given priority. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think so... Most of the people who got a call so far from the 1/12 interview said that they were IS. So, I think OS and Canadians haven't been called yet? This would make sense since IS students are given priority. Correct me if I'm wrong...

I'm not sure about the order of decisions... I'm IS. I guess we will all find out soon!

I'm waiting too!! Just got a weird msucom update email with data on the cycle so far and my heart sunk.. but it wasn't a decision yet!

For those who received a phone call acceptance. Random question -- what happens if you're at work when they call? Like, is it okay if you miss the call?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm waiting too!! Just got a weird msucom update email with data on the cycle so far and my heart sunk.. but it wasn't a decision yet!

For those who received a phone call acceptance. Random question -- what happens if you're at work when they call? Like, is it okay if you miss the call?
Dr. Ruger said during our interview day that you don't HAVE to answer the phone haha. MSUCOM just likes to call out of courtesy. If you end up not answering, I'm sure they'll leave you a voicemail. Good luck!!!

Reactions: 1 users

Right!?! The notification on my phone was so deceiving. I was driving and pulled over when my gf read the notification thinking this was it! But nopeee, just a stats email and utter disappointment.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I missed my call. They didn't leave a voicemail or anything, but I was super hopeful that it was MSUCOM calling so I called back and left a message. I got another call soon after my voicemail. Don't worry if you miss it, but it is pretty cool to hear the news over the phone, so I'd see if you could call back if you see a suspicious missed call. Good luck!!

Dr. Ruger said during our interview day that you don't HAVE to answer the phone haha. MSUCOM just likes to call out of courtesy. If you end up not answering, I'm sure they'll leave you a voicemail. Good luck!!!
ohh haven't gotten that email, mind sharing the stats of it? EDIT: sorry, replied to the wrong person... but aiming for @EspressoDrip42

ohh haven't gotten that email, mind sharing the stats of it?

MSUCOM Admissions as of today:

All AACOMAS Applicants: 5534
Applicants Interviewed: 568
Remaining Interview Dates: 2
Seat Deposits Paid: 280 (includes Canadian)
MCAT average of accepted applicants: 506
Science GPA average of accepted applicants: 3.6

Reactions: 3 users
Does everyone get the email update of the cycle or is it only for people waiting for a decision? I'm accepted and did not receive an update email, just curious to know the data!

They leave a voicemail :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Does everyone get the email update of the cycle or is it only for people waiting for a decision? I'm accepted and did not receive an update email, just curious to know the data!
im still waiting for a decision, haven't gotten the letter. not sure what to make of it.

I'm still waiting for a decision and I didn't get the e-mail and the email doesn't show up on my online account page either. Don't know what this means:(

I didnt get one either and I'm very curious as well!

Edit: just saw it above ur post

I wouldn't sweat it, here's a full copy of the email for those interested.

MSU ADMISSIONS said:
Greetings Applicants,

Welcome to the Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine application process. As we proceed with the admissions process, we thought we'd provide you an update with the status of our cycle thus far.

MSUCOM Admissions as of today:

All AACOMAS Applicants: 5534
Applicants Interviewed: 568
Remaining Interview Dates: 2
Seat Deposits Paid: 280 (includes Canadian)
MCAT average of accepted applicants: 506
Science GPA average of accepted applicants: 3.6

Subjective factors of the application such as extracurricular activities, volunteer experience, recommendation letters, osteopathic interest, and personal statements are not quantifiable and therefore we are unable to provide data on these highly valued application entities.

Please note: we have provided you with as much information as possible regarding the status of our process. If you would like to check your status, please log-in to the admissions system. If your status is listed as complete, you are still under review. Should you no longer wish to be considered for the 2016 application cycle, please contact us at [email protected] with your intent to withdrawal.

Best wishes,

The MSUCOM Admissions Team

Shout out to those 280 people paying deposits. Guess what! That's 280k for MSUCOM lololololololololololol. I'm one of them.

Das it mane

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed 1/12, waitlisted 3rd tier. Hope to still get in, good luck to everyone.

Got my call today. Accepted!!!!!!!!! :soexcited:interviewed 1/12.

Do you guys think I have a shot at the Detroit campus?? Is there a waiting list??

Reactions: 7 users

Do you guys think I have a shot at the Detroit campus?? Is there a waiting list??
Guessing Detroit is long gone; it's typically the first to fill up. There are always a few people who switch around sites after a semester or two, though.

Congrats!! AFAIK the Detroit campus has been on a waitlist since December. I talked to several students that were pulled from it last year who were accepted in January so I'd say there is some hope.

How many people do they usually accept total? 280 seat deposits paid...

How many people do they usually accept total? 280 seat deposits paid...

No clue on the stats but I'm sure quite a few of those people who paid deposits will end up going MD. I met two students at Wayne who were MSU bound until Wayne pulled them off their waitlist in May.

Yay! I'm on the tier 1 waitlist! :):soexcited:
Anyone else at tier 1?
The email sounded pretty positive, but I really hope that even with 280 spots already reserved with deposits that I will get in.
Am I being too unrealistic? Do people still get in from the February wait list? Especially Canadians?

Anyone else at tier 1?
The email sounded pretty positive, but I really hope that even with 280 spots already reserved with deposits that I will get in.
Am I being too unrealistic? Do people still get in from the February wait list? Especially Canadians?

Congrats!!! Admissions told us that last year everyone got in off the tier 1 waitlist along with half of the tier 2. Only 1 year of data but I think your chances are pretty dam good! Im sure the 280 deposits are spread out between the 3 campuses so I wouldnt worry too much.

Congrats!!! Admissions told us that last year everyone got in off the tier 1 waitlist along with half of the tier 2. Only 1 year of data but I think your chances are pretty dam good! Im sure the 280 deposits are spread out between the 3 campuses so I wouldnt worry too much.
Thank you! You just made my day:biglove:

Anyone else at tier 1?
Good luck!

Last edited:
Hey guys. I havent heard anything since being told I was at the EL campus. Is this normal?

Hey guys. I havent heard anything since being told I was at the EL campus. Is this normal?
Yes, I think! The only communication I got was that orientation material orders are due Feb 28. Did you get that one? If not, the info is on the class link!

What are the chances of getting in if on a tier 2 waitlist? Is that kind of a soft rejection?! :/
Not feeling very positive here...

+1 i believe this is normal, i didnt get an orientation materials due date email though. But i did read about it and bought my stuff, got an email the next day confirming my stuff will be available on orientation day!

Yes, I think! The only communication I got was that orientation material orders are due Feb 28. Did you get that one? If not, the info is on the class link!
+1 i believe this is normal, i didnt get an orientation materials due date email though. But i did read about it and bought my stuff, got an email the next day confirming my stuff will be available on orientation day!

I did not get this email! thanks guys!

http://com.msu.edu/Admissions/Documents/15-16 Med Budgets-OM- Canadian.pdf

^ 1) is this accurate tuition costs for Canadian students? 2) Does this include the 20k scholarship/year? thank you for any help
Honestly I'm not so sure what those numbers are. My guess would be this lists the out-of-state costs adjusted to the Canadian dollar, not including the scholarship.

If you want to be sure, though, I'd call the office of financial aid and talk to a medical advisor.

Yo fam how feasible is it to take a week off this summer?

Starting in June is killing me lololololol

Yo fam how feasible is it to take a week off this summer?

Starting in June is killing me lololololol

Cant answer your q but I believe we get a week off at the end of august and a long weekend for july 4th if ur tryna plan a vacation, if that helps at all lol

Is the money for the orientation package refundable? I know some people already asked, but I'm not sure if anyone found the answer. I'm just not 100% sure that I will be attending MSUCOM

Anyone know how to submit a letter of intent, to update my application?

Cant answer your q but I believe we get a week off at the end of august and a long weekend for july 4th if ur tryna plan a vacation, if that helps at all lol

I've been wondering too, have a wedding I really should attend that's on a Friday that requires travel..,

Accepted!!!! Just got the call at around 2pm. I'm at work holding back some of my tears.... :soexcited:

Reactions: 13 users
ACCEPTED!!!! Got the call early in the afternoon today. It was the best phone call I have ever received! Good luck to everyone else still waiting to hear!

Reactions: 6 users
How's school going so far Dr.P?

So far so good! Last semester was pretty tough on us as a class but I made it through. This semester doesn't seem to be as bad but we are entering a tough couple of weeks here before spring break!

How have you been? Getting anxious?

Sent from my XT1650 using SDN mobile

So far so good! Last semester was pretty tough on us as a class but I made it through. This semester doesn't seem to be as bad but we are entering a tough couple of weeks here before spring break!

How have you been? Getting anxious?

Thats good to hear! Just looking at the fall semester schedule is daunting to me lol so that's understandable, but I've been good! Definitely a solid combination of super excited and super anxious haha, part of me wants to start school right now while the other part of me is trying to make the most out of my current lax schedule and freedom

Thats good to hear! Just looking at the fall semester schedule is daunting to me lol so that's understandable, but I've been good! Definitely a solid combination of super excited and super anxious haha, part of me wants to start school right now while the other part of me is trying to make the most out of my current lax schedule and freedom

Yeah that Fall semester is pretty much all of undergrad condensed down into one semester! Some of those classes only had 2 exams so people who did bad on the first one were stuck in a vicious cycle of having to sacrifice another class to save themselves . But you have anatomy first so don't worry about the fall lol.

I definitely remember the anxious/excited feeling! You guys are in the best part of med school, telling everyone you are in without having to do any work yet lol. Take some trips, spend time with family and friends and have some fun. DON'T WORRY OR LOOK AT ANYTHING SCHOOL RELATED! Thankfully MSUCOM does a nice job of easing you in with anatomy over the summer so you'll be able to get your feet under you and enjoy your summer a little bit.

Our class and your Big Sib will also be a huge asset to help you all get acclimated. I'm actually going to a meeting this week for Peer Mentor training for your class.

Reactions: 4 users