You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Midwestern C/O 2023
Started by puggleperson55
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
catalinaisla
Full Member
May I ask what day you were invited to interview?Got an interview invite this morning...It's not over yet, y'all
2018APreVetOdyssey
PennVet 2023
May I ask what day you were invited to interview?
Sure. On Jan 25th, I was offered to interview Jan 30, Feb 4, Feb 6, or Feb 11.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
catalinaisla
Full Member
You will do great! Thanks for letting me knowSure. On Jan 25th, I was offered to interview Jan 30, Feb 4, Feb 6, or Feb 11.
At this point I’m questioning if they ever actually pull anyone off the interview waitlist
Congrats to all you peeps that are interviewing! You’re gonna do great!
I was interview waitlisted a few days after submitting my application. I was pulled off the interview waitlist about 3 weeks ago but denied the invite as I have accepted an offer from another school.
It is possible to still be pulled off
COgoatguy
MSU c/o 2023
I feel the same way, I was waitlisted back in December and have yet to hear back.At this point I’m questioning if they ever actually pull anyone off the interview waitlist
Congrats to all you peeps that are interviewing! You’re gonna do great!
aussiemom7
Full Member
I was waitlisted in October and haven't heard a word. I was also waitlisted last cycle. Super frustrating! 🙁
How are we getting notifications? I’ve checked email and the portal but idk where to expect it
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
How are we getting notifications? I’ve checked email and the portal but idk where to expect it
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
My portal update before I got the email. The next day I got a call.
So, portal —> email —> phone call.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN
So I know that MWU is on the quarter system rather than the semester system like some of the other schools I have applied to. Does anyone (especially current students if there are any on this thread currently) know how that works? I mean like, how is the course load of a quarter system compared to the semester system? I am just curious because at MWU you take Anatomy 1 in the first quarter and then Anatomy 2 in the second quarter. Are the classes accelerated due to this?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN
Sent from my iPhone using SDN
catalinaisla
Full Member
Has anyone heard anything back from the January interviews?
vetschoolapplicant4295
Full Member
Has anyone heard anything back from the January interviews?
I haven't heard anything yet, should hear by the end of this week
I haven't heard back yet either.
Regarding the quarter system, they do 10 week quarters rather than 16 week semesters. I think it is slightly more accelerated but they also split up the sections differently as well. I think most schools make it so you cover different cutoffs of the information per quarter. I could be wrong but that's my general idea of quarter systems.
Regarding the quarter system, they do 10 week quarters rather than 16 week semesters. I think it is slightly more accelerated but they also split up the sections differently as well. I think most schools make it so you cover different cutoffs of the information per quarter. I could be wrong but that's my general idea of quarter systems.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was waitlisted in October and haven't heard a word. I was also waitlisted last cycle. Super frustrating! 🙁
Same here on both of those [emoji20]
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
What a bummer, I wish there was better communication on their end.
vetschoolapplicant4295
Full Member
if anyone was wondering, I spoke with admissions and they said that the committee is meeting on Tuesday!
catalinaisla
Full Member
Thank you!!!!!!if anyone was wondering, I spoke with admissions and they said that the committee is meeting on Tuesday!
Midwestern people,
I'm going to try to be the wet blanket at this party as gently as possible. I've pent some time recently on the VIN student debt resources, things have slowly gotten worse since I last played around there. Right now, it looks like 4 year cost of attendance at Midwestern is projected to be about $408,000. I entered that into the loan repayment calculator with an additional $40,000 to cover possible undergraduate loans. If you get a $70,000 first year salary with a 5% annual raise and start on IBR out of vet school, the loan will cost you $725,000 with about $325,000 of that being the lump sum due at the end to cover the taxes on what is forgiven. I've discussed these findings with some colleagues in regards to the financial viability of our profession moving forward and we would like to gain a little insight into these figures from those more acutely affected by them. A few questions we were most curious about, does the college clearly explain financials like these to applicants prior to you accepting a position at the school? How aware are incoming students of the financial burdens they will be undertaking and do they feel confident in their ability to repay student loans while maintaining a reasonable quality of life following graduation?
I'm going to try to be the wet blanket at this party as gently as possible. I've pent some time recently on the VIN student debt resources, things have slowly gotten worse since I last played around there. Right now, it looks like 4 year cost of attendance at Midwestern is projected to be about $408,000. I entered that into the loan repayment calculator with an additional $40,000 to cover possible undergraduate loans. If you get a $70,000 first year salary with a 5% annual raise and start on IBR out of vet school, the loan will cost you $725,000 with about $325,000 of that being the lump sum due at the end to cover the taxes on what is forgiven. I've discussed these findings with some colleagues in regards to the financial viability of our profession moving forward and we would like to gain a little insight into these figures from those more acutely affected by them. A few questions we were most curious about, does the college clearly explain financials like these to applicants prior to you accepting a position at the school? How aware are incoming students of the financial burdens they will be undertaking and do they feel confident in their ability to repay student loans while maintaining a reasonable quality of life following graduation?
During my interview, the tuition cost was briefly touched upon. There was also a short conversation talking about financial aid at the end of the day. I wonder if they go more into depth about the debt at orientation. Seeing the numbers lined up definitely was a bit off putting. It is probably one of the most, if not the most, expensive vet school to attend.Midwestern people,
I'm going to try to be the wet blanket at this party as gently as possible. I've pent some time recently on the VIN student debt resources, things have slowly gotten worse since I last played around there. Right now, it looks like 4 year cost of attendance at Midwestern is projected to be about $408,000. I entered that into the loan repayment calculator with an additional $40,000 to cover possible undergraduate loans. If you get a $70,000 first year salary with a 5% annual raise and start on IBR out of vet school, the loan will cost you $725,000 with about $325,000 of that being the lump sum due at the end to cover the taxes on what is forgiven. I've discussed these findings with some colleagues in regards to the financial viability of our profession moving forward and we would like to gain a little insight into these figures from those more acutely affected by them. A few questions we were most curious about, does the college clearly explain financials like these to applicants prior to you accepting a position at the school? How aware are incoming students of the financial burdens they will be undertaking and do they feel confident in their ability to repay student loans while maintaining a reasonable quality of life following graduation?
I’m extremely fortunate to have parents who have the ability as well as desire to pay for my entire graduate education. Having said that, if I were to take out loans (which I would not have a problem with), I don’t think midwestern would have been in the list of schools that I applied to.
In a way I feel selfish that my parents are paying for my schooling although they are adamant about it. Although I love midwestern and it is one of my top choices, I’m also considering other schools due to the guilt I’m feeling about my parents paying for my schooling. It is a beautiful school but I just wish it didn’t cost an arm and a leg
During my interview, the tuition cost was briefly touched upon. There was also a short conversation talking about financial aid at the end of the day. I wonder if they go more into depth about the debt at orientation. Seeing the numbers lined up definitely was a bit off putting. It is probably one of the most, if not the most, expensive vet school to attend.
I’m extremely fortunate to have parents who have the ability as well as desire to pay for my entire graduate education. Having said that, if I were to take out loans (which I would not have a problem with), I don’t think midwestern would have been in the list of schools that I applied to.
In a way I feel selfish that my parents are paying for my schooling although they are adamant about it. Although I love midwestern and it is one of my top choices, I’m also considering other schools due to the guilt I’m feeling about my parents paying for my schooling. It is a beautiful school but I just wish it didn’t cost an arm and a leg
I’m in the exact same boat as far as financial situation. I feel guilty and selfish that my parents are willing to help pay for school. I told my parents if j get accepted to a cheaper school I’d prefer to go there to help ease the burden.
Honestly, I'm freaking out about this. But right now have been accepted to Midwestern and Ross, and would much rather go to Midwestern than Ross. Nothing against Ross, it would just be a hard adjustment for me. Still waiting on Iowa and Wisconsin (my in state). However with this being my second application cycle after already having a gap year, I am getting so impatient and don't think I can handle doing another application cycle. I am trying to stay excited about that fact that I have the opportunity to start vet school next year and I absolutely loved the school and their program, but this amount of debt is terrifying.Midwestern people,
I'm going to try to be the wet blanket at this party as gently as possible. I've pent some time recently on the VIN student debt resources, things have slowly gotten worse since I last played around there. Right now, it looks like 4 year cost of attendance at Midwestern is projected to be about $408,000. I entered that into the loan repayment calculator with an additional $40,000 to cover possible undergraduate loans. If you get a $70,000 first year salary with a 5% annual raise and start on IBR out of vet school, the loan will cost you $725,000 with about $325,000 of that being the lump sum due at the end to cover the taxes on what is forgiven. I've discussed these findings with some colleagues in regards to the financial viability of our profession moving forward and we would like to gain a little insight into these figures from those more acutely affected by them. A few questions we were most curious about, does the college clearly explain financials like these to applicants prior to you accepting a position at the school? How aware are incoming students of the financial burdens they will be undertaking and do they feel confident in their ability to repay student loans while maintaining a reasonable quality of life following graduation?
Midwestern now participates in the WICHE program, so that should help with tuition rates if one qualifies! But I feel as though we need to be discussing tuition rates at schools like Tufts and UPenn. YIKES.
Veeeeeery few people from each state get wiche funding.Midwestern now participates in the WICHE program, so that should help with tuition rates if one qualifies!
They’re both private universities which usually means they don’t get much (if any) funding from the state, like public universities do, which is why the IS and OOS rates aren’t much different. They’re also both a smidge lower tuition than midwestern.But I feel as though we need to be discussing tuition rates at schools like Tufts and UPenn. YIKES.
Midwestern now participates in the WICHE program, so that should help with tuition rates if one qualifies! But I feel as though we need to be discussing tuition rates at schools like Tufts and UPenn. YIKES.
Tuition prices at ALL schools need to be discussed. Along with the repayment programs and the expectations of veterinarians to pay down these loans in 10 or less years (typically). The fact that veterinarians make considerably less than medical doctors yet they have similar amounts of debt makes it hard to even think about how much less veterinarians make than medical doctors.
The high availability of loans makes it so schools CAN charge as much as they do. It sucks overall.
January interviewees, check your portals! Mine updated to accepted student checklist...does this mean what I think??
catalinaisla
Full Member
Do you think it does?????January interviewees, check your portals! Mine updated to accepted student checklist...does this mean what I think??
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
catalinaisla
Full Member
YAYYYYYIt does!! Mine did the same thing before I got my call!
Yes! if you have the accepted student checklist then you're in! For me, I got the call from the asst. dean first and my portal was updated a couple days later. Congrats!!I have the accepted student checklist too! I'm like 80% sure if you received the checklist then you're accepted!
Woo! Awesome! Congrats everyone who has the updated portal haha.
Should we be expecting some sort of phone call now?
Honestly I'm not sure! Not everyone on here has mentioned a phone call but that could also just be they didn't mention it, not that they didn't get one 🙂
Griezmann07
Full Member
To the just accepted students, what date in January was your interview? Mine was the 16th so I'm wondering if they've gotten to those yet!January interviewees, check your portals! Mine updated to accepted student checklist...does this mean what I think??
Thank you 🙂
To the just accepted students, what date in January was your interview? Mine was the 16th so I'm wondering if they've gotten to those yet!
Thank you 🙂
I was in the January 9th interview group
catalinaisla
Full Member
Has anyone gotten an email yet?
I was a January 9th interview as well.To the just accepted students, what date in January was your interview? Mine was the 16th so I'm wondering if they've gotten to those yet!
Thank you 🙂
Got my student accepted check list!!!! doesn't even feel real. Haven't received an email or phone call yet though
Mine was January 9th 🙂To the just accepted students, what date in January was your interview? Mine was the 16th so I'm wondering if they've gotten to those yet!
Thank you 🙂
I gave up my seat today - I hope that it helps out someone here to make your DVM dreams a reality! Good luck everyone!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
vetschoolapplicant4295
Full Member
Anyone from the Jan 16th interview hear back yet?
Griezmann07
Full Member
I haven’t yet!Anyone from the Jan 16th interview hear back yet?
So i haven’t heard anything yet. No interview, no waitlist, no rejection... idk what it means
I got my email yesterday! but no call. So I guess it differs for everyone how they are contacted haha
