Midwestern C/O 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I brought my mom with me and everyone was just as welcoming with her as they were with me. I had a great experience there.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
“What’s” incredibly rude?

I am not sure exactly what she meant in bringing parents to the interview. However, I am pretty sure it wasn’t just parents coming to the building and sitting somewhere. The interview was a 7 hour tour day. So she probably meant that some people brought their parents for the duration of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
What I bolded in the quote is incredibly rude. For a student panelist to say to other interviewees that they’re ahead of the last group because they didn’t bring their parents. That’s incredibly rude to say about other applicants.
I didn’t apply to midwestern, but I brought my mom with me to all of my interviews. She wanted to see where I might be spending the next four years of my life and wanted to see the school where I would be learning. I see NOTHING wrong with people bringing a parent or significant other with them for the day. It’s not like they’re dragging them into the room with them while they’re actually interviewing.

Reactions: 3 users
Just my opinion...
But honestly that kind of sucks if midwestern isn’t welcoming like described... I didnt get that vibe at the other school I interviewed at (haven’t at MWU yet). :pigeon: Plenty of parents and everyone was very welcoming. Idk though, I brought my mom to my interview that was local... it made me happy to make her feel apart of my accomplishments, she’s done so much for me and I could tell she was excited to be there to support me. She just didn’t go in the building when I was interviewing... but she got to see the campus and listen to the panels... kinda got to see where I all my hard work will hopefully get me (and why I spend so many hours studying :p).

I know some schools are differentin terms of their environment... but I think if you want your parent/person there for whatever the reason then bring them! This is an amazing thing we’re all doing and if students want to judge that fine... they aren’t the ones admitting you anyway! Do what you want and I’m sure you’ll do fantastic :love: good luck!
Exactly. My mom liked being there for the tour and info sessions/Q&A panels because she had questions too. She had every right to be there and see the school I might be going to.
This is the second slightly “off” thing I’ve heard on here about midwestern and it definitely reflects poorly on the school to have current students bash a previous group or the freaking dean (?) bash every other school because some schools have minor deficiencies that the avma said needed to be addressed but midwestern doesn’t because they JUST got accreditation.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly. My mom liked being there for the tour and info sessions/Q&A panels because she had questions too. She had every right to be there and see the school I might be going to.
This is the second slightly “off” thing I’ve heard on here about midwestern and it definitely reflects poorly on the school to have current students bash a previous group or the freaking dean (?) bash every other school because some schools have minor deficiencies that the avma said needed to be addressed but midwestern doesn’t because they JUST got accreditation.

I think there is a time for parents to go see schools, but personally, I do not think the interview is one of those times. The school is wanting to see you as an individual. Do I think if someone brings their parent with them to an interview that will be a reason why they do not get accepted? NO. Am I saying parents shouldn’t be allowed or don’t have a right to be there? NO. The person asked if other people brought their parents TO MIDWESTERN. And from what I heard from a current student, that is something uncommon to do AT MIDWESTERN.
Nothing is “off” about that. There are different cultures at different colleges. Some colleges may invite parents to the interview, and some colleges may not. That isn’t wrong. It is just different.

Did anyone bring a guest with them for any portion of the interview day?

After going back and forth, I brought my partner with me to my interview day hoping he could attend a tour. When we got to the building to check in they handed him a packet of info for SOs/family/friends and asked him to hang out in other parts of campus for the day-- he ended up exploring the library. Everyone was friendly to both of us and I was ultimately accepted, so I don't think it matters much! If they wanted to be strict about guests I feel they would mention so prior to the interview

I think there is a time for parents to go see schools, but personally, I do not think the interview is one of those times. The school is wanting to see you as an individual. Do I think if someone brings their parent with them to an interview that will be a reason why they do not get accepted? NO. Am I saying parents shouldn’t be allowed or don’t have a right to be there? NO. The person asked if other people brought their parents TO MIDWESTERN. And from what I heard from a current student, that is something uncommon to do AT MIDWESTERN.
Nothing is “off” about that. There are different cultures at different colleges. Some colleges may invite parents to the interview, and some colleges may not. That isn’t wrong. It is just different.

I think the point was missed... It had more to do with that students talking smack about other applicants in front of others. It’s just in bad taste and unprofessional. But that has nothing to do with you personally or your point of view. Heck it may not even have anything to do with the culture of the school in its entirety.

I just don’t think OP should base their decision based off the judgement of one individual that has zero influence over anything.

I am happy to hear that others brought their parents/person and had good experiences though!

Long story short:
Just do you... obviously it’s neither a positive or negative to bring/not bring a parent. It’s all about doing what you need to do to succeed and put your best foot forward! :luck:

Reactions: 4 users
I think the point was missed... It had more to do with that students talking smack about other applicants in front of others. It’s just in bad taste and unprofessional. But that has nothing to do with you personally or your point of view. Heck it may not even have anything to do with the culture of the school in its entirety.

I just don’t think OP should base their decision based off the judgement of one individual that has zero influence over anything.

I am happy to hear that others brought their parents/person and had good experiences though!

Long story short:
Just do you... obviously it’s neither a positive or negative to bring/not bring a parent. It’s all about doing what you need to do to succeed and put your best foot forward! :luck:
^^^^this.
And I don’t see why interview weekend ISNT a good time for the parents to see the school *shrugs*

Reactions: 2 users
^^^^this.
And I don’t see why interview weekend ISNT a good time for the parents to see the school *shrugs*

Interview ~weekend~ is a perfectly good time for parents to go see the school, actually. That’s what we did. We arrived on Sunday and my Mom and I went to go see the school on Monday and interview was Tuesday. She was able to see the campus, and I was able to talk to her more about details following the interview and show her the packet they gave me.
The only reason why I personally would not have brought her WITH me is because I wanted Midwestern to see me as an individual. I didn’t want to be seen as dependent on having my parent with me. That may or may not be the way it is portrayed, but that is my personal opinion which I have every right to.

I believe that applicants should recognize that the “sit-down and talk” portion of the interview takes about 20-30 minutes of your 7 hour day. They are not just evaluating you when you sit down to talk to them. They start evaluating you the second you hit the door. So for me, I wanted to give an impression of myself in the way that I wanted to.
I am obviously not a spokesperson or representative for Midwestern, so take my opinion for what it is—an opinion.

Interview ~weekend~ is a perfectly good time for parents to go see the school, actually. That’s what we did. We arrived on Sunday and my Mom and I went to go see the school on Monday and interview was Tuesday. She was able to see the campus, and I was able to talk to her more about details following the interview and show her the packet they gave me.
The only reason why I personally would not have brought her WITH me is because I wanted Midwestern to see me as an individual. I didn’t want to be seen as dependent on having my parent with me. That may or may not be the way it is portrayed, but that is my personal opinion which I have every right to.

I believe that applicants should recognize that the “sit-down and talk” portion of the interview takes about 20-30 minutes of your 7 hour day. They are not just evaluating you when you sit down to talk to them. They start evaluating you the second you hit the door. So for me, I wanted to give an impression of myself in the way that I wanted to.
I am obviously not a spokesperson or representative for Midwestern, so take my opinion for what it is—an opinion.

Does midwestern offer tours and info sessions on other days besides interview day? Because my mom, and other parents, specifically wanted to go to those. That’s what I’m saying. It shouldn’t be frowned upon to bring a parent on interview day if that’s their only chance to learn about the school and go to info sessions and on tours, it should actually be encouraged for them to see. If someone’s non-trad and is 30 and interviewing, yeah makes sense to not bring a parent because more likely you aren’t living with them, but if you have an SO that’d be moving with you, it’d make sense to bring them. But many, many, many traditional applicants bring parents because they want them to see where they may spend the next four years and get more information about the school.
I’m not saying everyone should bring parents if they don’t want them there, but it shouldn’t be looked down upon and the majority of schools understand parents want to come and are welcoming to them. A current student on a panel shouldn’t be bashing kids in a previous group for bringing someone because it makes the school look bad. *shrug*

Unless things have drastically changed, Midwestern is VERY welcoming, and loves to have family members join for the entire interview day. I was part of the first class, and when I interviewed the dean encouraged families to tag along for the day. I was also a student ambassador and spent many days with interview candidates and loved when people brought their parents or significant others. If anything it shows how important this decision is for the entire family and that you have a great support system. Some of the parents came up with great questions and managed to not take the focus off of their applicant.

I’m a current 3rd year student and we still welcome people to bring along a parent or s/o if they want. Someone did so when I interviewed and no one said anything about it. Their parent was included on going on our tours, attending the informational talks, and even during lunch of our interview day. As a current student ambassador, that hasn’t changed and we still try to include family members in as many aspects of the process as possible. Also, while we don’t have a set time/weekend for accepted students to tour and show off the campus to their families, I know that the admissions office is pretty good about setting up individual tours of the main part of campus if you call their office and ask.

Someone in my group did, but I would not do that. One of the students on the student panel came to a group of us and said “you guys are already ahead of others because during [her] interview some people brought their parents” and then laughed. My Mom went with me to Arizona, but not to the interview. In the kindest way possible, the interview is something you have to do on your own!

This is more common than you think.
Someone also brought their Mom to our interview last year. She sat in for everything except the actual interview portion.

Does anyone have an idea when I should hear back from midwestern? I submitted on sept. 20 and they received everything on oct. 3. I set up my account as soon as I got notified to do so. I know some other individuals who submitted a couple weeks before me but they heard back about a month ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have an idea when I should hear back from midwestern? I submitted on sept. 20 and they received everything on oct. 3. I set up my account as soon as I got notified to do so. I know some other individuals who submitted a couple weeks before me but they heard back about a month ago.
I would call them. Usually administration is pretty helpful!

I emailed administration over a month ago about the same issue, they said I'd receive my admissions decision in "a few weeks"... and that has since passed... so not sure what's going on

I haven't heard anything either. I'm starting to take the silence as a rejection lol, but I plan on calling the beginning of next week if nothing changes.

I haven't heard anything either. I'm starting to take the silence as a rejection lol, but I plan on calling the beginning of next week if nothing changes.

this was the response I got if it makes you feel any better

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 8.40.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 8.40.21 AM.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 165
About a week after I submitted my application (mid August), I got put on the waitlist :/ not sure if it would be annoying to them if I emailed/call to check in?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I emailed administration over a month ago about the same issue, they said I'd receive my admissions decision in "a few weeks"... and that has since passed... so not sure what's going on
I would call them. Also, I believe your online portal changes to accommodate paying the class deposit online.

I would contact the Dean's office. They might not have a direct answer, but they can guide you:

Office of the Dean
College of Veterinary Medicine

I would call them. Also, I believe your online portal changes to accommodate paying the class deposit online.

I would contact the Dean's office. They might not have a direct answer, but they can guide you:

Office of the Dean
College of Veterinary Medicine
Thank you, but I already emailed them. I heard that midwestern sends out interview invites for several months- so I dont know if calling the dean would be worth it. You think it is odd I still haven't heard?

Do you have any experience about students on the waitlist??
Hi! If you're still curious, I was actually on the waitlist for my class! I'm in the same class at midwestern right now, class of 2022! I got on the waitlist around February and got off the second week of August. So it was definitely a long wait and close to start time but dont give up hope if you're on the waitlist. There's always still a chance! I'm free to answer any questions or anything as well!

Hi! If you're still curious, I was actually on the waitlist for my class! I'm in the same class at midwestern right now, class of 2022! I got on the waitlist around February and got off the second week of August. So it was definitely a long wait and close to start time but dont give up hope if you're on the waitlist. There's always still a chance! I'm free to answer any questions or anything as well!
What up, c/o 2022?!
How 'bout that Equine lab Tuesday? That was fun....and smelly....and jiggly.

Lots of parents were there. you go into a room for a student question time. some parents came in for that at the beginning of the day. then you all sit and wait for your interview while some of you go for a mini tour. so parents just hung out with everyone. it was no big deal. then when we toured the clinic area... parents also came along. What I didn't like about parents along.. 1. it makes you look like less of an adult and more of a teenager going off to undergraduate instead of a professional program to have your parents hanging out with you. Looking at those with parents and those without. I couldn't help but see the ones with parents as less mature than those by themselves. it is just hard to see someone as an adult when they are walking next to mom and dad. Just my opinion. (at least walk with the group and not your parents) 2. there are already a lot of people.... having moms and dads hanging with the group makes it hard to hear and get through the tours. What I did like about the parents being there is. 1) the parents can give feed back and help to determine what they felt and saw about the program. My suggestion. If you bring a significant other. Have them drop you off. do the day by yourself. Then have them meet up with you for the tour at the animal clinic. Show yourself strong and independent. just my observation during my interview.

Thank you! I’m really nervous about it. Would you mind giving me tips? Would you say the interview was more relaxed and laid back or more of a stricter interview :confused:

What M.v.123 said! I couldn't put it any better lol. It really is a very relaxed interview/day, so don't be nervous! Like others have said, it really and truly helps to calm your nerves if you talk to the people in your interview group! We're all in the same boat. Look up some general vet school interview questions online, but don't stress too much. Throughout the day, be engaged, ask questions, and be yourself! It's a really great school and I felt very comfortable there. I have no doubt you'll do great!! :)

Help, I can’t remember the website for midwesterns portal. Anybody able to help??

Surprised there hasn’t been any movement for a while.... :whistle:

Is there anyone who still hasn't heard anything from Midwestern? I never got an email saying they received my application or were at least reviewing it. I'm a little concerned and not sure if I should contact the admissions office to see if there's been a mistake with my application or if this is normal.

For reference, this is my first time applying and I submitted my VMCAS app around early September. It was verified pretty quickly too.

Last edited:
I just randomly checked my portal before going to sleep and the Accepted Student Checklist is there and I'm literally shaking and crying!!! Midwestern is my #1 school choice and after two years of applying I'm accepted and I couldn't be happier!!! To everyone still waiting, either for an interview or to get off the waitlist, don't give up!! :D :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Is there anyone who still hasn't heard anything from Midwestern? I never got an email saying they received my application or were at least reviewing it. I'm a little concerned and not sure if I should contact the admissions office to see if there's been a mistake with my application or if this is normal.

For reference, this is my first time applying and I submitted my VMCAS app around early September. It was verified pretty quickly too.
I haven’t had any correspondence from them either and I submitted around the same time.

I just randomly checked my portal before going to sleep and the Accepted Student Checklist is there and I'm literally shaking and crying!!! Midwestern is my #1 school choice and after two years of applying I'm accepted and I couldn't be happier!!! To everyone still waiting, either for an interview or to get off the waitlist, don't give up!! :D :D

If you don’t mind me asking, when did you interview?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

YAY!!!!!!!!!! I’m so so so so happy for you!!!!! I haven’t decided if I’m accepting it yet but if I do we’ll be future classmates!!!!!!

Checked my portal on a whim and my Accepted Student Checklist is there!!!! I'M GOING TO BE A VETERINARIAN!!!!!! :soexcited::biglove::banana:Congratulations to all of you guys that were also accepted!!! And good luck to those still waiting! :luck:

Reactions: 6 users
Checked my portal on a whim and my Accepted Student Checklist is there!!!! I'M GOING TO BE A VETERINARIAN!!!!!! :soexcited::biglove::banana:Congratulations to all of you guys that were also accepted!!! And good luck to those still waiting! :luck:
YAYYYYYY I'M SO GLAD YOU GOT ACCEPTED, TOO!!!!!! I hope we get to be future classmates!!! Congratulations, I'm so happy for you!! :soexcited::claps::banana:

I did get an email a while ago saying they got my application but I haven't heard anything since then. I'm so nervous I'm hoping they just haven't reviewed my packet yet and that I'll hear something....ANYTHING...this month.

YAY!!!!!!!!!! I’m so so so so happy for you!!!!! I haven’t decided if I’m accepting it yet but if I do we’ll be future classmates!!!!!!
THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH GIRL OMG YOU'RE THE ABSOLUTE SWEETEST!!!!!!That means so much to me, thank you very much!!!! I haven't decided yet either- I'm going to wait to hear back from a few other schools and I have an interview scheduled for the University of Tennessee in January, but Midwestern is still my #1 choice!! I hope we do both accept our offers and end up being classmates!!! I'm so super happy for you too, and proud of us both for making it!!! We're going to be doctors!!!! :soexcited::highfive::claps::banana:

Congrats guys!! Lilac, you especially!! I remember when I saw you post last cycle too! I can't wait to hopefully have you borh on campus!
If either one of you are local and want to meet up, feel free to reach out!! Congrats again guys!!!

GUYS WERE GOING TO BE VETERINARIANS!!!!!!!!!!!! I CANT WAIT!!!

Congrats guys!! Lilac, you especially!! I remember when I saw you post last cycle too! I can't wait to hopefully have you borh on campus!
If either one of you are local and want to meet up, feel free to reach out!! Congrats again guys!!!

Thank you so so very much, Sparrow!! Omg yes last cycle I was on the Alternate List like you and this year it all worked out and I'm so happy!! That's sweet you remembered! I'd love to meet up! I actually live in North Scottsdale, not too far from Midwestern campus. I'm off of work Sunday, and next Tuesday and Wednesday- PM me if any of those days work for you! thank you again girl, you're so sweet!!

YAYYYYYY I'M SO GLAD YOU GOT ACCEPTED, TOO!!!!!! I hope we get to be future classmates!!! Congratulations, I'm so happy for you!! :soexcited::claps::banana:

GUYS WERE GOING TO BE VETERINARIANS!!!!!!!!!!!! I CANT WAIT!!!

Ahhh thank you guys!!! I'm so so happy for all of you, each one of you is so deserving of this! I hope we end up being classmates as well!! It feels amazing to have gotten in, but it feels even better to share the joy and celebrate together!! :soexcited::highfive::biglove:

Hey guys!! I know a lot of you were worried that you've heard nothing from midwestern since verification and activating your portals, I just received an interview from there and was in the same boat! Didn't receive an email or anything, just checked my porter and voila!

Hey guys!! I know a lot of you were worried that you've heard nothing from midwestern since verification and activating your portals, I just received an interview from there and was in the same boat! Didn't receive an email or anything, just checked my porter and voila!
This may be a dumb question but when you log into the portal, where will it say something about an interview?

Also just received an interview invite via the portal but no email!

if you scroll over "ADMISSIONS" there's a link to "interview scheduling", it'll let you know if you have an interview to schedule there!
That’s what I’ve been doing. Awesome thanks! Just wanted to double check. Congrats :)

I was waitlisted for an interview this morning via email, just some info for people still waiting for news.

Has anybody gotten off the interview waitlist? I got put on it a while back, and was just wondering...

Has anybody gotten off the interview waitlist? I got put on it a while back, and was just wondering...
I was put on the interview waitlist back in September, was offered an interview for October 31, and was accepted on November 20! there's still hope!!