Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For any current students and upperclassmen, how should the rankings of rotations go for someone who wants to learn a lot but also do not want to be in the middle of nowhere or a desert?

List: LA, San Diego, Kankakee, Chicago, Tucson, West Valley, East Valley

Currently thinking as 1) LA 2) West Valley 3) East Valley 4) Tucson 5) San Diego 6) Chicago 7) Kankakee

I'm hearing Tucson Medical Center is bad. Why? Thanks all.
I've never heard anything bad about TMC. But I have only heard patient perspectives. I am not sure about rotation quality.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know if there's any movement off the pre-II wait list?

Members don't see this ad :)
For current AZCOM students how do you like the school, area, curriculum?

Second year here! I'm assigned to Chicago for rotations. I can try to answer any questions you may have. Congrats to everyone accepted to far!
Current MS1 here. You'll have 6-7 subjects on average per semester. 3 semesters for first year (4 semesters for year 2) meaning you'll have optional free summer after MS1 year - will be the last free summer tho). From those 7 subjects all lectures are not mandatory, except 2 subjects where you need to answer clicker questions, so you have to attend those. Also all labs/workshops are mandatory, but that goes without saying. Keep in mind that most of lectures are videorecorded for you to study at home, but there are several subjects that don't record lectures. So in general it's better to attend them, tho it is possible to successfully pass exams just by studying handouts as they are very detailed and good. Exams are almost every Monday, which is good as you get time to prepare on weekend. It's a good school and I like it a lot. Tuition is high lol, but on positive note we get lots of prep materials for classes and boards for free via library etc. Also, campus cafeteria is affordable (they try to keep low prices), which helps to control food spending at least somewhat. Weather is very nice right now, but several months during summer it's too hot lol. Tho you get accustomed to it quickly. On the positive note - I really like 300+ sunshine days :) it keeps you in good mood
P.S. also if you are looking for a on-campus housing (which is good and saves a lot of time), apply early as they tend to run out of spaces at around January. Just saying

Hey currrent students! I was accepted a couple weeks ago, I'm wondering if you have any insight to the rotation sites at Tucson, Phoenix (East valley vs. West Valley), and Chicago. These are the ones I'm trying to decide between. I can't find any information on them!!

Last edited:
MS1 here.

There isn't much info about the rotation sites. Partly because everywhere outside of Chicago and PHX will probably be using different hospitals/proctors by the time you guys are in rotations. Some of those sites are constantly changing. I hear Chicago is nice because it's mostly all at one site.

Rotating outside of PHX you'll still have to come back to AZ for some tests. You'll also get all of your "rotation specific training" at the beginning of third year. For example you'll get OBGYN, Surgery, IM, FM pre-rotation training all at once. The kids staying in PHX will receive the specific training in doses throughout the year depending on which rotation they are about to start.

Don't worry about which rotations you get. Just pick one of the big cities and you'll be able to switch no problem. Don't pick Modesto, don't pick Kankakee. Most people want either PHX or LA just because of family, geographical location, or they don't want to move. I picked LA originally because I'd heard it was one of the better rotations. It is SUPER EASY to switch rotations. I've already switched to PHX (I hate moving) and I could switch a dozen more times if I wanted to, you just need to find a classmate who is willing to swap. My class set up a google doc for people wanting to switch rotations sites.

The school does a good job of trying to accommodate everyone as well. If you don't get the rotation site you want just relax, you'll probably end up with it by the time 3rd year rolls around.

Also to some of the previous posters, there is a fair amount of movement off the post-interview waitlist throughout the summer. There are a few kids in my class that were accepted the week of orientation. Also when I applied I heard they accepted like 60% of the kids they offered interviews to, so if you are offered an interview late I wouldn't assume it's just for a waitlist spot. If they offer you an interview they like you.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Any current students have computer recommendations? I appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

MS1 here.

There isn't much info about the rotation sites. Partly because everywhere outside of Chicago and PHX will probably be using different hospitals/proctors by the time you guys are in rotations. Some of those sites are constantly changing. I hear Chicago is nice because it's mostly all at one site.

Rotating outside of PHX you'll still have to come back to AZ for some tests. You'll also get all of your "rotation specific training" at the beginning of third year. For example you'll get OBGYN, Surgery, IM, FM pre-rotation training all at once. The kids staying in PHX will receive the specific training in doses throughout the year depending on which rotation they are about to start.

Don't worry about which rotations you get. Just pick one of the big cities and you'll be able to switch no problem. Don't pick Modesto, don't pick Kankakee. Most people want either PHX or LA just because of family, geographical location, or they don't want to move. I picked LA originally because I'd heard it was one of the better rotations. It is SUPER EASY to switch rotations. I've already switched to PHX (I hate moving) and I could switch a dozen more times if I wanted to, you just need to find a classmate who is willing to swap. My class set up a google doc for people wanting to switch rotations sites.

The school does a good job of trying to accommodate everyone as well. If you don't get the rotation site you want just relax, you'll probably end up with it by the time 3rd year rolls around.

Also to some of the previous posters, there is a fair amount of movement off the post-interview waitlist throughout the summer. There are a few kids in my class that were accepted the week of orientation. Also when I applied I heard they accepted like 60% of the kids they offered interviews to, so if you are offered an interview late I wouldn't assume it's just for a waitlist spot. If they offer you an interview they like you.

Cheers!

Thanks for the info! Do you know anything else specific about the Chicago site?

Chicago is at Swedish Covenant Medical Center. They have IM and FM residency programs there, so probably be good if you're interested in either of those. Could be like a free audition rotation.

Where you rotate really isn't that important though. You'll probably see cooler stuff in the bigger cities but 4th year you're doing audition rotations all over the country, so by then you won't spend much time in whatever city you were assigned anyway. It really just determines where you do your core rotations, but picking Tucson vs Chicago isn't going to determine what specialty you get or how successful you can be.

I stressed about it when I was applying but now I realize it doesn't really matter that much. Pick wherever you have family/friends or somewhere new you want to live for a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chicago is at Swedish Covenant Medical Center. They have IM and FM residency programs there, so probably be good if you're interested in either of those. Could be like a free audition rotation.

Where you rotate really isn't that important though. You'll probably see cooler stuff in the bigger cities but 4th year you're doing audition rotations all over the country, so by then you won't spend much time in whatever city you were assigned anyway. It really just determines where you do your core rotations, but picking Tucson vs Chicago isn't going to determine what specialty you get or how successful you can be.

I stressed about it when I was applying but now I realize it doesn't really matter that much. Pick wherever you have family/friends or somewhere new you want to live for a year.
Thank you for the input!! It is much appreciated :)

The II waitlist struggle is too real.

Can anybody provide some insight into the OMM fellowship?
I'm aware that the you have to do an additional year, what exactly does that additional year consist of? More OMM rotations? Teaching?
I am aware that the additional OMM rotations are spread out throughout the course of your clerkship years.. How flexible is the scheduling for the OMM rotations? Is it completely scattered to the point where I will have to come to Phoenix bi/trimonthly? Or can I schedule them in blocks to make the travelling less stressful?

Can anybody provide some insight into the OMM fellowship?
I'm aware that the you have to do an additional year, what exactly does that additional year consist of? More OMM rotations? Teaching?
I am aware that the additional OMM rotations are spread out throughout the course of your clerkship years.. How flexible is the scheduling for the OMM rotations? Is it completely scattered to the point where I will have to come to Phoenix bi/trimonthly? Or can I schedule them in blocks to make the travelling less stressful?

If you do the OMM fellowship, your third through fifth years are spent in phoenix so not really much travelling to be done. As for the other question, you have months where you spend time in the family med/OMM practice across the street as well as teach OMM class. This is from what I remember so not 100% certain but yeah lol

Does AZCOM accept update letters?

Reactions: 1 user
I got the Kankakee, IL rotation site. I'm slightly disappointed it's not Chicago, but oh well. Does anyone else have this site or know anything about it?

The II waitlist struggle is too real.

I spoke with someone from Admissions, and she told me that people that are waiting for an interview invite could POSSIBLY hear back sometime around mid-March, (Basically she says that the Admissions committee will pull more people from the wait-list around St. Patrick's Day, if it is needed... Soon afterwards they just send applicants an email telling them to reapply again next year.

Just signed my matriculation agreement :soexcited:

Reactions: 4 users
I got the Kankakee, IL rotation site. I'm slightly disappointed it's not Chicago, but oh well. Does anyone else have this site or know anything about it?
You will have plenty of time to switch to whatever site you want over the first two years of school.

Is it better to live on campus or in apartments close by? Can anyone tell me the best way to find roommates? Is there a class group going yet?

Hey this might sound like a silly question:
But once you pay your deposit and sign the matriculation agreement, you're considered an "official student" right? You have a seat and you just have to start filling out the financial aid forms and what not?

Hey this might sound like a silly question:
But once you pay your deposit and sign the matriculation agreement, you're considered an "official student" right? You have a seat and you just have to start filling out the financial aid forms and what not?
I believe you're correct!

Is it better to live on campus or in apartments close by? Can anyone tell me the best way to find roommates? Is there a class group going yet?

The facebook page is here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1195478803843037/

There have been a couple of housing questions on it with not an enormous amount of feedback. I wish we could get into the previous class's group but see how that could be pretty annoying for them haha.

Withdrawing my acceptance offer here - good luck to those of you on the II waitlist and the post-interview waitlist! Keeping my fingers crossed for y'all :)

Withdrawing my acceptance offer here - good luck to those of you on the II waitlist and the post-interview waitlist! Keeping my fingers crossed for y'all :)
Where you off to instead?

On average, how soon did you guys hear back after your interview?

On average, how soon did you guys hear back after your interview?
I didn't get an official email from them, but I checked my portal and saw the acceptance I want to say within a week, received official letter in the mail within 2 weeks.

Has anyone gotten accepted without a DO letter? I received an interview (scheduled for March) but I don't have a DO letter. I am wondering if it is worth attending the interview since I don't have a DO letter (and therefore the chance of accepted is small)

Has anyone gotten accepted without a DO letter? I received an interview (scheduled for March) but I don't have a DO letter. I am wondering if it is worth attending the interview since I don't have a DO letter (and therefore the chance of accepted is small)

I don't think you should decline an interview invite just bc of that... They sometimes even have an MD on your interview panel

I can tell you right now that if you choose to not attend your interview then your chance of being accepted is a whooping 0% chance... if they invited you for an interview they obviously didn't care that you didn't have a DO letter. It helps but it is no way close to a deal breaker. If you're at this stage then it means they think you are capable of excelling in medical school and becoming a doctor, but now the interview is a chance for them to get to meet you face to face and see if you have the personal skills to make it in this field, (or to find out if your crazy/narcissistic).

Anyone have entering averages for Canadians matriculated? Trying to see if I'll be competitive for next cycle.

Accepted without a DO letter. I don't think they even asked if I was planning on shadowing a DO, but I would have an answer prepared for that. I also read and watched videos on osteopathy before my interview to make sure I had at least something to speak to if a question did come up.

Portal just updated with accepted checklist, interviewed on 1/25

Reactions: 4 users
Withdrew my acceptance here. Hoping it goes to one of you lovely people!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm hearing you can transfer your deposit from here to CCOM if you get into both? Is this true?

I got in without a DO letter or any DO experience on my resume. No one addressed it in the interview. I would say definitely go and don't even give that factor a second thought

I had a question about how third year works as well - it said somewhere that your third year rotation has no bearing into where you place for residency...in that case can we kinda have our third year act as a free audition rotation at all? I got the LA rotation and I'm really hoping to get matched in SoCal somewhere...haha

Just received an II here! :) I'm very excited-- some of the doctors I work with have gone here and can attest to it being a fantastic school!

One question though. I had a friend who interviewed at LECOM and was told he could either go to the Erie or the Bradenton Campus. Does MWU give any similar flexibility? Given the choice, I would rather go to CCOM, as my soon-to-be fiance is in MD school near Chicago.

Just received an II here! :) I'm very excited-- some of the doctors I work with have gone here and can attest to it being a fantastic school!

One question though. I had a friend who interviewed at LECOM and was told he could either go to the Erie or the Bradenton Campus. Does MWU give any similar flexibility? Given the choice, I would rather go to CCOM, as my soon-to-be fiance is in MD school near Chicago.
I don't think so. Even though it is under the Midwestern name, they are separate applications. Also the Lecom thing is wrong. If you get into Erie, there is a chance you can go to seton hill but not Bradenton. Again separate app, separate committees.

Reactions: 3 users
I had a question about how third year works as well - it said somewhere that your third year rotation has no bearing into where you place for residency...in that case can we kinda have our third year act as a free audition rotation at all? I got the LA rotation and I'm really hoping to get matched in SoCal somewhere...haha
Third year you'll do rotations at whatever sites MWU has contracts with, you pick the region but the sites are all determined by the school. Some of those sites are private practice, some are ward based hospitals, some hospitals may have affiliated residencies, but most probably won't. By rotating in LA you'll possibly make connections that will be beneficial for getting a socal residency but they won't be audition rotations. You'll have to do the same OB, IM, family med, general surgery like the rest of your class. One advantage though is if you impress your preceptors they probably have some connections that could help you when applying for residency.

Notice that my post has a lot of "probably" and "possibly" scattered throughout. Just pick where you want to live or where you think you'll enjoy doing rotations. Where you rotate doesn't matter much compared to how well you do on those rotations.

They are run as completely different schools. Only real affiliation is through name and that they swap a couple rotations sites to be friendly.