Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
NC State University Masters in Physiology. I had in person meetings with two DO schools that had no issue with my MCAT because of GPA that was significantly significantly above their average. I am 31 and really just ready to be in. I don't have 6 months to reprep for the MCAT. VCOM even told me NOT to retake it. My masters program is set up like first two years of med school. I study 12 hours a day for my program which is USMLE material. I am unsure how I could pull 6 months of MCAT prep unless i waited out this cycle which just doesn't seem feasible or smart. Does Midwestern put a lot of focus on MCAT? I am sorry to sound defensive lol. #gradschoolproblems

I agree with what the others have said on this thread, but let me offer some personal insight with what I've experienced. I've also spoken with deans from several medical schools about reasons why I didn't get in and it always came down to this... First of all, most schools have a committee that reviews our applications, and what they look for are GPA and MCAT. If you're weak in 1 area, they might or might not decide to take a chance on you, it's all up to the committee because they are trying to figure out which version of you they are going to get, (Are they going to get the low MCAT version of you, which the MCAT is the standard across the applicant board and is suppose to predict success in medical school, or are they going to get the high GPA version of you, which is extremely variable depending upon your school and program). I even talked with Dean of Medicine who knew me personally and he explained to me that he sent my application up to the committee to be reviewed with his full recommendation and support for an interview and the committee shot it back down b/c they didn't think my science GPA was high enough, even with a 512 MCAT score)... However, seeing as you are set on applying to medical school and need advice, and with your grad school work, (Plus age), taken into consideration you will probably not get into MD schools, or competitive DO schools, but you can definitely get into a DO school somewhere. Check out this link I've attached below to see which schools you have the best chance of getting into. And definitely apply to like 20+ DO schools. It will cost you a small fortune, but it's definitely an investment that will pay off in the long run. Don't be stingy with applications! (Get a credit card just for the application cycle if you need to).

http://medical-schools.startclass.com/

Members don't see this ad.

Withdrew my acceptance today, hope it goes to someone here!

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with what the others have said on this thread, but let me offer some personal insight with what I've experienced. I've also spoken with deans from several medical schools about reasons why I didn't get in and it always came down to this... First of all, most schools have a committee that reviews our applications, and what they look for are GPA and MCAT. If you're weak in 1 area, they might or might not decide to take a chance on you, it's all up to the committee because they are trying to figure out which version of you they are going to get, (Are they going to get the low MCAT version of you, which the MCAT is the standard across the applicant board and is suppose to predict success in medical school, or are they going to get the high GPA version of you, which is extremely variable depending upon your school and program). I even talked with Dean of Medicine who knew me personally and he explained to me that he sent my application up to the committee to be reviewed with his full recommendation and support for an interview and the committee shot it back down b/c they didn't think my science GPA was high enough, even with a 512 MCAT score)... However, seeing as you are set on applying to medical school and need advice, and with your grad school work, (Plus age), taken into consideration you will probably not get into MD schools, or competitive DO schools, but you can definitely get into a DO school somewhere. Check out this link I've attached below to see which schools you have the best chance of getting into. And definitely apply to like 20+ DO schools. It will cost you a small fortune, but it's definitely an investment that will pay off in the long run. Don't be stingy with applications! (Get a credit card just for the application cycle if you need to).

http://medical-schools.startclass.com/

Thanks for your response. I didn't mean to offend anyone, and like you, I had the same perceptions about the admissions process. I actually have an MCAT date scheduled. I just thought it was interesting that the feedback I have gotten so far from DO schools is that a retake should not be necessary. Like you, this was a shock to me. I don't know if thats because I have gone through 2 years of grad school or what. My program is graded on a curve and I wonder if that played into as well. I was also told I would never interview with MD schools with that score and last cycle I did.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

Would any other current students be willing to talk more about the pros/cons of Midwestern and why they chose to attend this school vs. others?

Thank you!

Hello,

Would any other current students be willing to talk more about the pros/cons of Midwestern and why they chose to attend this school vs. others?

Thank you!
I just finished my first year here. If anyone has any specific questions about the school- PM me. There are staff that participate in these online forums. P.S. selling books if you are a new MS-1.

I think the majority of it can be accounted for by the testing schedule. At 2-4 exams per week, every single week, you don't have time to sleep, eat, exercise, spend time with your S/O, or really do anything else that doesn't include studying. You get burned out really quickly, and you often have to wait until the next break (3-4 months out) to even begin to recuperate. 6 quarters of that stress really takes a toll on your mental, emotional, and physical state.

I've heard a lot about the hectic exam schedule - could you comment on the weekly class schedule as well? For how many hours are you in class each day, and how many hours do you have to yourself to study? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Tuesday-Thursday the schedule is usually classes from 8/9 am to 3/4/5pm. You have 1-2 hours for lunch. Mondays are exams (7/8/9/10am or 1pm). Most people go home and study 2-4 hours after class. 8-12 hours a day on the weekend. I defiantly had time to eat, sleep (6-7 hours) and work out 2-3 times a week. I think the biggest mistake people made was not taking Friday/Saturday nights completely off. You will get more done and be more productive when you just relax at least 1-2 night per week. It seems counterintuitive but, I went from high Bs to As after I started taking more time off to relax. As for time with significant others, schedule it and it will happen. I spent lots of time with mine because, like school, it takes work, time, commitment, sacrifice and planning.

Reactions: 5 users
Tuesday-Thursday the schedule is usually classes from 8/9 am to 3/4/5pm. You have 1-2 hours for lunch. Mondays are exams (7/8/9/10am or 1pm). Most people go home and study 2-4 hours after class. 8-12 hours a day on the weekend. I defiantly had time to eat, sleep (6-7 hours) and work out 2-3 times a week. I think the biggest mistake people made was not taking Friday/Saturday nights completely off. You will get more done and be more productive when you just relax at least 1-2 night per week. It seems counterintuitive but, I went from high Bs to As after I started taking more time off to relax. As for time with significant others, schedule it and it will happen. I spent lots of time with mine because, like school, it takes work, time, commitment, sacrifice and planning.

Thank you so much!! I noticed you didn't mention a schedule for Friday - does that mean you get Fridays off?

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrawing my acceptance which also means a Chicago rotation spot. Have fun in Phoenix you guys! Was definitely a tough one to decline.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you so much!! I noticed you didn't mention a schedule for Friday - does that mean you get Fridays off?
I meant to add that in! Friday mornings are easier on the brain...classes like Psych. It's a lighter day that ends in the early afternoon.

I know IT doesn't support apple products, but do students use macs here for class/testing?

I meant to add that in! Friday mornings are easier on the brain...classes like Psych. It's a lighter day that ends in the early afternoon.
That definitely depends on the year. Second year Fridays were our longest day with anywhere from 7-9 hours of class depending on the quarter, but the other days also got shorter as Friday got longer, so it wasn't the worst schedule. If you have any specific questions, feel free to message me. I am a 2nd year heading to Chicago next month.

Most peopl
I know IT doesn't support apple products, but do students use macs here for class/testing?
Most people use iPads with notability for class. I know a few people with surface tablets who like that as well. Testing is completely in the testing center (with the occasional scantron test) so you don't need to worry about a specific laptop/tablet for testing. I recommend getting a tablet (if possible). It makes taking notes much easier since you can write/type directly on the PDFs for each lecture. The only downside to an iPad is you can't double speed the lectures when they put them on Blackboard.

I also have the Chicago site; do you know anything about where you travel to outside of Swedish Covenant?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
The majority of your rotations will be at Swedish. You rural (and possibly another) will be at BroMenn. You also have the option to go to Tulsa for Peds/OB which I've only heard good things about. It is getting more competitive each year, but definitely worth trying for if you are interested in either specialty. You can also request certain rotations back in Phoenix if Chicago doesn't have something you want (like inpatient psych). It is harder to get the Phoenix rotations, but I know people that have. Pm me if you have any specific questions!

Most peopl

Most people use iPads with notability for class. I know a few people with surface tablets who like that as well. Testing is completely in the testing center (with the occasional scantron test) so you don't need to worry about a specific laptop/tablet for testing. I recommend getting a tablet (if possible). It makes taking notes much easier since you can write/type directly on the PDFs for each lecture. The only downside to an iPad is you can't double speed the lectures when they put them on Blackboard.

why are macs/laptops not widely used? I feel like if anything a macbook would have more flexibility than an ipad.

why are macs/laptops not widely used? I feel like if anything a macbook would have more flexibility than an ipad.
You can use either. I have both but I think an iPad is more flexible than a MacBook.

Some people do use macbooks, but the majority use a tablet of some kind. I think because the apps make it super easy to annotate the lecture pdfs, especially if you have a stylus. Its also usually smaller to carry around. Also, the desks in the lecture hall aren't very big. A macbook can fit, but barely.
There is definitely nothing wrong with a macbook if thats what you want/are comfortable with. Its all about how you take notes and study best.

Chicago is a GREAT rotation site. Hold onto it!

May I ask why you think the Chicago rotation is good? I read on the Swedish Covenant site that you have wards with the residency program? Is it more ward based than the other sites?

Got accepted to one of my top schools!! Will be withdrawing my app from MWU; good luck to those waiting for a seat!

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all,

1st year here and I also completed a master's degree at Midwestern as well. I'm going to be real here and tell you what some first and second years told me when I was deciding between schools, if you can go to another medical school go there.

A few great things about AZCOM:

1) Faculty are exceptional. The open door policy is real here. They are very much willing to help you and they are all welcoming and approachable.

2.) Beautiful campus.

3.) Good opportunities to network w/ the other professional programs.

4.) My classmates have been amazing, wonderful, and supportive.

5.) Curriculum is not curved. This fosters a non-competitive environment and everyone helps everyone out and shares study materials.

6.) AZ has wonderful weather in general, except for the month of May - September where it is still 100+ degree temps.

Cons: This is what I was warned about by some older students and these are the reasons why this is not many people's first choice.

1.) You are on a traditional curriculum schedule. That means you will take 6-7 classes. You will have 2-3 full length 2 hour exams per week, sometimes 4 exams per week. Mental health here is not a priority. Everyone is burned out. Drained. Tired. There is not much time for a life outside of medical school. You try your best to balance, but it is definitely hard. I go for an hour workout 5-6 days per week. I have very understanding friends, family, and a wonderful, supportive significant other. You will need a strong support system.

For example, some students are not even attending their church service this morning for Easter because there is just no time. We envy those friends who attend other schools who are on a block schedule where they will have one block exam once every 2-3 weeks. Other friends at other schools know that you are a Midwestern student if you tell them our testing schedule.

Our schedule is exam heavy, no doubt. You will learn to adjust, but it does take a toll on you, no matter how on top of it you are. You will learn to study a bit of each subject every day, but will focus more on the material for the next upcoming exam.

I have yet to meet a person who is truly, honestly happy at AZCOM.

I know this post sounds like a downer, but I am trying to give everyone the most objective information. People who know me would describe me as a happy and cheerful person and I assure you that I surround myself with happy and positive people, so I hope that this information comes off in an objective manner.

The curriculum really does beat it out of you though.

2.) They recently changed the board study schedule for the second years. They originally had 3 weeks of dedicated board studying time and now they have 6 weeks. However, they have scheduled mandatory 4-6 hour workshops into that dedicated board studying schedule.

3.) The cost. If you could choose another school that is cheaper, go there.

4.) Not much patient interaction first or second year. Unless you take time out of your rigorous study and testing schedule to go volunteer.

5.) Curriculum is graded. Not pass/fail.

Medical school is what you make of it, you will be happy wherever you will be though sometimes it is easier to be happier in certain places. As a friend and fellow student said, at the end of the day, we will become physicians and we are very grateful for that, but if you have the luxury of choosing between multiple schools, there are better options.

PM me if you want any more questions answered.

I'm happy! Yes they expect a lot but the proof is in the pudding. AZCOM sets you up for the next steps in your medical career. It's med school. If you want the easy road pick another profession. Just my $0.02

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I got the acceptance phone call this morning (interviewed late January and waitlisted). I will be going to another school, so hopefully one of you gets my seat here!

Reactions: 2 users
I wasn't waitlisted but I was just accepted!

Hey guys! Can anyone speak to whether we have to come back to campus during 3rd / 4th year if we're doing rotations outside of Phoenix (California/San Diego in my case)? I'm trying to figure out what housing wil be like, and if all rotations are even available in places like SD / if I'd have to move for some blocks back to Phoenix, or some other site. Thanks!

Hey guys, just finished here at MWU and I've got some down time till I start intern year. If you have any questions or want to know a little more about the school lmk.

Hey guys, just finished here at MWU and I've got some down time till I start intern year. If you have any questions or want to know a little more about the school lmk.
Can you speak generally about your experiences? Things you liked and didn't like. Would you go to AZCOM again knowing what you know now?

Can you speak generally about your experiences? Things you liked and didn't like. Would you go to AZCOM again knowing what you know now?
It's went by fast, that's for sure. Would I do AZCOM again? Sure I would. It was my first choice for schools and I feel I got a good education from them. The issues a lot of classmates had with the school (myself included) is how high the tuition is, it's almost mind numbing now. First two years were pretty standard to me. Study, take test, study for the next test. Repeat that for 2 years. I've seen a lot of people throw around AZCOMs exam schedule like it's some horrible terror - it's not bad and I really don't see a reason to complain. You're responsible for the same material at the end of the day, the schedule keeps you on top of your studies. For things I liked about the school...well there's always professors available to talk to about the material or whatever else, that's a plus. Clinical education is hit or miss. Some people get unlucky and will have a rotation where it's effectively shadowing - I feel the bare minimum for a med student is to be doing H/Ps and presenting their patients, so that's definitely a disservice there.

It's went by fast, that's for sure. Would I do AZCOM again? Sure I would. It was my first choice for schools and I feel I got a good education from them. The issues a lot of classmates had with the school (myself included) is how high the tuition is, it's almost mind numbing now. First two years were pretty standard to me. Study, take test, study for the next test. Repeat that for 2 years. I've seen a lot of people throw around AZCOMs exam schedule like it's some horrible terror - it's not bad and I really don't see a reason to complain. You're responsible for the same material at the end of the day, the schedule keeps you on top of your studies. For things I liked about the school...well there's always professors available to talk to about the material or whatever else, that's a plus. Clinical education is hit or miss. Some people get unlucky and will have a rotation where it's effectively shadowing - I feel the bare minimum for a med student is to be doing H/Ps and presenting their patients, so that's definitely a disservice there.

Any ideas on which sites have "shadowing" rotations? aka east or west valley? :D

Thank you! How much emphasis is on OMM during the first two years? Do you feel they take the more pseudoscientific aspects seriously or can you get away without drinking the Kool-Aid?

Any ideas on which sites have "shadowing" rotations? aka east or west valley? :D
Either site has them - although you have some say as to what rotations you get as a third year, and they have a feedback system so you can pretty much find out what rotations to avoid. Sometimes you just can't though due to very few available spots.

Thank you! How much emphasis is on OMM during the first two years? Do you feel they take the more pseudoscientific aspects seriously or can you get away without drinking the Kool-Aid?
I felt it was not emphasized at all. Really more of a checkbox vibe to me. That said there were a couple of the OMM faculty who were deep in the koolaid, but the others were great and just wanted to teach a little of what they saw as a useful tool.

Hey guys! Can anyone speak to whether we have to come back to campus during 3rd / 4th year if we're doing rotations outside of Phoenix (California/San Diego in my case)? I'm trying to figure out what housing wil be like, and if all rotations are even available in places like SD / if I'd have to move for some blocks back to Phoenix, or some other site. Thanks!

Everyone I know in California rotations have to come back to Phoenix for 2-4 blocks 3rd year. Sometimes those are in a row and you can sublet your room in LA/SD, sometimes they are alternating months and you are driving back and forth. If you are in IL there is a slight chance you have to come back to AZ, but I don't know anyone in that situation yet.

Everyone I know in California rotations have to come back to Phoenix for 2-4 blocks 3rd year. Sometimes those are in a row and you can sublet your room in LA/SD, sometimes they are alternating months and you are driving back and forth. If you are in IL there is a slight chance you have to come back to AZ, but I don't know anyone in that situation yet.

Thanks for the reply! Does the school provide any housing in this case, or are you on your own to figure it out during the back and forth moves? Any idea about Tucson btw? Also wondering if I choose to at some point, if switching or trading rotation sites is possible before 3rd year. I'm trying to figure out if it would be easier to just stay in Arizona to avoid the hassles of going back and forth

Thanks for the reply! Does the school provide any housing in this case, or are you on your own to figure it out during the back and forth moves? Any idea about Tucson btw? Also wondering if I choose to at some point, if switching or trading rotation sites is possible before 3rd year. I'm trying to figure out if it would be easier to just stay in Arizona to avoid the hassles of going back and forth
school provides housing if you were ever needed back at arizona. I believe rates are about a hundred a month which is on the very low end.

Question - Do most people here use the federal and GradPlus combo or do they do federal and private?

I know private loans would provide a lower interest rate, but can be more work. GradPlus loans have a higher interest rate (around 7+%) but can provide more flexible options with repayment.

As the other person responding said, the school will get you $100-110/month housing if they make you come back to Phoenix. Most of my friends in Tuscon have to come back for one rotation as well. A lot of people don't mind coming back to Phoenix (yet, we'll see as the year progresses). Most of the people going to LA/SD have family in the area, so they would rather see their family for more than half the year instead of just winter break. If you don't have a family/really good reason to go to SD/LA I would stay in AZ or go to Chicago. Personally, I think its easier to not have to worry about all the traveling.

Question - Do most people here use the federal and GradPlus combo or do they do federal and private?

I know private loans would provide a lower interest rate, but can be more work. GradPlus loans have a higher interest rate (around 7+%) but can provide more flexible options with repayment.

Almost everyone who is taking loans, takes the federal loans. As of now, they are much more flexible in the repayment options (income based and loan forgiveness), we'll see if those incentives continue in the future.

Almost everyone who is taking loans, takes the federal loans. As of now, they are much more flexible in the repayment options (income based and loan forgiveness), we'll see if those incentives continue in the future.
But they have a much higher initial interest rate which could mean a big difference in what you're paying on the back end.

So I guess I don't understand why people would take the Gradplus

But they have a much higher initial interest rate which could mean a big difference in what you're paying on the back end.

So I guess I don't understand why people would take the Gradplus

Because when employers offer to match loan payments, they are only with regards to federal loans.

Hey guys I just withdrew from AZCOM, best wishes to everyone!