Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any recent alternate list movement?

Members don't see this ad.

Did other people on the waitlist get the email about the class of 2021 rotation site survey? I was wondering if it was a mistake or if we are supposed to fill it out.

When & How do people get into research on campus?

Is it important to do right away first year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a mandatory attendance policy?

Do people go to lecture?

Do people go to lecture?

Other current students have said that most lectures aren't mandatory, but labs and workshops are. Most but not all lectures are recorded

When & How do people get into research on campus?

Is it important to do right away first year?

There is a research elective spring quarter 1st year that can turn into a paid summer research fellowship. A lot of people also chose to just do research the summer between first and second year. It isn't super important to do it 1st year, especially if you did research in undergrad. I'd really encourage you to do research during the summer though if you are planning to go into any of the high volume research fields

Do people go to lecture?

First year, only intro to clin med (ICM) is mandatory, as well as biochemical and physiology workshops (but you can miss 2 of the 10 workshops per quarter for biochem without any consequence)
Second year ICM and intro to clerkship are mandatory.
For us, all lectures except biochem were recorded. Lecture attendance will dwindle as the year goes on. It'll start with ~100 going to lecture. I'd say by the end of each year, there were 30 people in lecture on a good day and sometimes ten if it was a lecture after an exam.

First year, only intro to clin med (ICM) is mandatory, as well as biochemical and physiology workshops (but you can miss 2 of the 10 workshops per quarter for biochem without any consequence)
Second year ICM and intro to clerkship are mandatory.
For us, all lectures except biochem were recorded. Lecture attendance will dwindle as the year goes on. It'll start with ~100 going to lecture. I'd say by the end of each year, there were 30 people in lecture on a good day and sometimes ten if it was a lecture after an exam.

Is lecture material needed to do well on the exams, or can the students just learn Step 1 material (Pathoma, Sketchymicro, Costanzo Physiology, etc.) to study for both the boards and in-class exams?

Is lecture material needed to do well on the exams, or can the students just learn Step 1 material (Pathoma, Sketchymicro, Costanzo Physiology, etc.) to study for both the boards and in-class exams?

I'd definitely at least listen to the lecture material or look over the power points/hand outs. There is definitely some stuff not covered in the board review material, but also the professors stress what you need to know for the exam.For example, You can usually figure out at least half of what the test questions will be on, just by listening to the lecture for micro. Path stars their high yield slides. Pharm bolds the high yield information.

I'd definitely at least listen to the lecture material or look over the power points/hand outs. There is definitely some stuff not covered in the board review material, but also the professors stress what you need to know for the exam.For example, You can usually figure out at least half of what the test questions will be on, just by listening to the lecture for micro. Path stars their high yield slides. Pharm bolds the high yield information.

Okay thanks for your response, but I guess ultimately my question is if your goal is to ace Step 1, is it okay to just study only board material and still pass classes? Like start FA right away alongside the classes.

Okay thanks for your response, but I guess ultimately my question is if your goal is to ace Step 1, is it okay to just study only board material and still pass classes? Like start FA right away alongside the classes.

A lot of people annotate First Aid as an adjunct to studying for class, which is super helpful. Use board materials as an adjunct to studying, especially second year and you'll be fine. If you really want to start board prep early, you can read the section of FA you are on in class or if you want to start questions, buy USMLE-RX and tailor it to whatever exam you are on. Second year, buy Pathoma and Sketchy and use them as you learn the topics in class. Add in UWorld in Jan if you want two passes or March if you only want one (depending on how many questions per day you do). There is no need to start pure board studying first year.
Also, while grades do not matter as much as board scores for residency, doing poorly can hurt you. You want to do everything you can to make your application the best it can be, and part of that is at least trying to get good grades. The best way to do that is to study the class material.

A lot of people annotate First Aid as an adjunct to studying for class, which is super helpful. Use board materials as an adjunct to studying, especially second year and you'll be fine. If you really want to start board prep early, you can read the section of FA you are on in class or if you want to start questions, buy USMLE-RX and tailor it to whatever exam you are on. Second year, buy Pathoma and Sketchy and use them as you learn the topics in class. Add in UWorld in Jan if you want two passes or March if you only want one (depending on how many questions per day you do). There is no need to start pure board studying first year.
Also, while grades do not matter as much as board scores for residency, doing poorly can hurt you. You want to do everything you can to make your application the best it can be, and part of that is at least trying to get good grades. The best way to do that is to study the class material.

Thanks for your help and insight into the school. How does the USMLE-Rx/Kaplan Qbanks come into play when you guys are taking a test every week? Or are there cumulative exams?

Reactions: 1 user
So, do most people actually go to class or do they listen to lectures and study on their own?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your help and insight into the school. How does the USMLE-Rx/Kaplan Qbanks come into play when you guys are taking a test every week? Or are there cumulative exams?
Most people save the Kaplan QBank the school gives us for reviewing OMM for boards. They usually give us access the summer between M1 and M2.
USMLE-Rx can be used as practice questions for each exam or saved for board studying. The only cumulative exams are at the end of Pharm and Micro.

Study hard your first year if you want to make the honor frat, this yr's cut off was 3.9+ I believe. Otherwise, chill out and just pay attention in class and you should be fine for the most part. Think your year through and decide if you want to take on a few research projects during the spring and summer.

Can anyone comment on the hospital sites for the west valley option? Thanks! Is it Banner Thunderbird, JCL Deer Valley, Boswell, Arrowhead Hospital, etc?

On that note as well - can anyone comment on the rotation sites in general (aka are there bad ones to avoid, some that are better if you're looking at a certain field?)

I think I would be more qualified to answer this at around this time next year because right now I am just completing my first rotation. However as a general overview, almost all of your rotations will be "preceptor based" which vary widely in quality depending on your preceptor. They do guarantee one "ward based" IM rotation (meaning you work alongside a residency team) for everyone but after that you should expect mostly preceptor rotations including one mandatory rural rotation. This is in contrast MD schools where the standard is ward based rotations.

As far as site locations, I am rotating in the west valley but about half my rotations are in what would be considered east valley. It's not a huge problem though, for example I have rotations in Surprise (far west valley) and Mesa (far east valley). Driving between the two would only take about an hour with no traffic. If you live somewhere in the middle, you cut that time in half.
Hi, this is a stupid question but what do you mean by "preceptor based"? Is it a faculty member? Previous student? Does it hinder your experience in that specific rotation if you do not have a good preceptor?

Could you please share your MCAT score
It was a 513. My gpa wasnt that great but i think calling and having a genuine conversation with the admissions counselor helped my case a lot

It was a 513. My gpa wasnt that great but i think calling and having a genuine conversation with the admissions counselor helped my case a lot
Thanks a lot and congratulations, when I called some one else attends not the counselor so do I need to ask for the counselor if I want to discuss.

Just got the Chicago rotation site today!! I'm super excited since they assigned me to Kankakee at first.

How did it change? Did you have to bug them, or did it automatically switch after someone most likely dropped Chicago as their top choice?

How did it change? Did you have to bug them, or did it automatically switch after someone most likely dropped Chicago as their top choice?

It was my first choice so apparently they automatically put me on a wait list for it. They emailed me when someone declined their seat in the class.

It was my first choice so apparently they automatically put me on a wait list for it. They emailed me when someone declined their seat in the class.

Okay. And you were given the opportunity to accept or decline, right? Chi is my first choice as well, but may settle and prepare for my other choices. Wouldn't want to change to a 'higher priority' without my approval first.

Did other people on the waitlist get the email about the class of 2021 rotation site survey? I was wondering if it was a mistake or if we are supposed to fill it out.
Were you eventually accepted after getting this email?

Okay. And you were given the opportunity to accept or decline, right? Chi is my first choice as well, but may settle and prepare for my other choices. Wouldn't want to change to a 'higher priority' without my approval first.

Yep, they let me know there was an opening and gave me a few days to get back to them to let them know if I wanted it.

K i have two questions.

Everyone is talking about this rigorous test schedule, but all med schools are gonna be tough. I would prefer frequent and light as that would give a good assessment of where I am at on the material. Few, but large tests would stress me out as you don't get that affirmation on your study schedule. Does this hold true? Or is it just more frequent tests of similar magnitude that are just as difficult as larger tests?

And two how did you guys go about finding your housing? Was facebook best? Website? Random google search of the area?

Can anybody comment on the Kanakee rotation site, pros and cons? Would it be a good place to train if I plan on going into emergency medicine?

Hello everyone! I read on ACOM's website that the min mcat score is 507. I don't see that anymore. My mcat is 506. Should I not apply?

Update: Alternate list is at 132.

Just in case anyone else on here is still waiting

Last edited:
I got off the waitlist.....

Reactions: 5 users
Can any accepted students comment on the drug testing policy? Is a drug test required for admitted students with the physical?
I didn't see anything about a drug test? I'm hoping they don't (I dont smoke marijuana, I just don't think u should be punished because you do)

I was just accepted off the waitlist! I've already been accepted to a cheaper school, anyone here that decided to attend Midwestern despite the cost? Trying to weigh my options.

I was just accepted off the waitlist! I've already been accepted to a cheaper school, anyone here that decided to attend Midwestern despite the cost? Trying to weigh my options.
What's the other school? And it depends on what matters to you. AZCOM is expensive and honestly, the big thing worth that price is the campus and rotation sites. Good luck on choosing! I know it would be hard for me

congrats! would u mind sharing yr MCAT score

510, 3.3 GPA

I'm a non trad with thousands of hours of paid clinical experience
I'm oddly similar in stats and position! Hopefully there are other 26 yos!

Reactions: 1 users