Most WL with no Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

justscared

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious how many are in my boat 8 WL. :( What does anyone think my chances are? Which schools have best history of taking lots from WL?

Members don't see this ad.

I was on six until this week when I got my first acceptance. I remember either last year or the year before, there was someone who was on seven, all top schools, until May 16 when Mayo came through.

Don't give up.

A friend last year was 11/11! Downstate came through in July :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Curious how many are in my boat 8 WL. :( What does anyone think my chances are? Which schools have best history of taking lots from WL?

which schools are you waitlisted at? of the ones i'm wl'ed at it seems like most of them have decent movement, especially georgetown, suny downstate, temple, and wake. i think the general rule is that higher ranked schools (vandy, harvard, hopkins, etc) have less movement than the mid-low tier schools. it seems like a lot of schools these days are accepting less students and waitlisting more, both to make sure they don't overfill and to see who's really interested. make sure you write those loi's and show continued interest and don't give up! good luck:)

i signed up just so i can reply to this post!
knowing that i'm on the same boat makes it feel slightly better, not that I wouldn't hope for the best for everyone =)

I'm on 5 wait lists... no acceptances. I was on 6, until my status was changed from wait list to rejection for one of them... now that one hurts cause I thought i was at least safe until july =/

I feel for people who have that many WLs...The worst case is if you're on 6+ waitlists and don't get off any of them. :scared: Imagine all the money you spent on the interviews and psychological stress you experienced....

I hope you all get off a waitlist somewhere!!

Hey bud, I'm sitting on 8 waitlists as well. Weeee

Don't worry you guys! 6+ wait list you are BOUND to get off one, the odds are with you. It's better than me with only 2. I would much rather have 6 than none but I can feel your pain. All that hoping and stress just to get wait listed.

Hang in there guys! I know you will get off no worries!

I've got 99 problems but a med school acceptance is not one of them :rolleyes:

Me too!!! For the people that have multiple acceptances after May 15th they can only hold 1 acceptance?

correct. after may 15th stuff will start getting better for yall

Members don't see this ad :)

Hey justscared, I'm in the same boat. Here's to hoping for the best for both of us and anyone else who's in a similar situation. :xf::):xf:

4 WL here, no acceptances... how are you guys handling your "interest level" at each school? Do you just tell each school that they are your top choice and you will definitely attend if offered a spot?

1 school out of those 4 is my top top choice, so I feel bad telling one of the other schools I will definitely attend if accepted. I would feel bad to be "lying" but I guess that is not really a lie since I do not have an acceptance at this point.

Do you think it is bad to tell schools you are WL at that you have no acceptances anywhere?

4 WL here, no acceptances... how are you guys handling your "interest level" at each school? Do you just tell each school that they are your top choice and you will definitely attend if offered a spot?

1 school out of those 4 is my top top choice, so I feel bad telling one of the other schools I will definitely attend if accepted. I would feel bad to be "lying" but I guess that is not really a lie since I do not have an acceptance at this point.

Do you think it is bad to tell schools you are WL at that you have no acceptances anywhere?

Unfortunately after April 1st the schools know where you've been accepted or that you haven't been accepted anywhere... I think you have to tell them they're your top choice because presently it's true...if you got in to any of the 4 you'd go, having no other acceptances to date, right:confused:

After April 1st they release that information to schools? Where did you hear that?

After April 1st they release that information to schools? Where did you hear that?

"Beginning in April of each year, a medical school can view the school or schools that have accepted an applicant, even if that applicant has not yet been accepted by the medical school."

-AMCAS instruction booklet, page 11.

Not much going on on this thread lately ...with May 15th lurking thought I'd give an update

I now have 1 ACCEPTANCE, 8WL, 1 Hold and no decisions yet from 2 hold-out schools. Am incredibly grateful for all the support from all of my other WLers on this thread. I am still hopeful I'll get other acceptances but regardless if that happens or not I will be a member of the class of 2014 and I will be a Doctor!!!!!!

Congratulations!!! :D
You've made it. One acceptance is enough to know that your dreams will come true.

you folk really must suck at interviews, or have weak social skills

There are a lot of other reasons people could be waitlisted.

Why post here just to be rude?

naw, probably not if u have upwards of 4 or 5 waitlists

Wow. Who has the bad social skills? Those that are on multiple waitlists or the guy who comes onto the thread to BASH people he hasn't even met? hmmm.... Get a life, Colonel. Try being nice to others.

Good luck everyone (including Colonel)...he/she's gonna need it....if he/she thinks that they can get by in life by being rude to those they haven't even met.

And, FYI: If a school thought that the applicant had bad social skills, they would reject him or her flat out, not waitlist them. Perhaps there are other reasons that someone would be on multiple waitlists. . . . think outside the box, Colonel. If you want to be a physician, you are going to need to start doing that.

Seriously Colonel.... did you ever think that MAYBE there are a limited number of spots? hmmmm.....

I hope I don't have many a**hole classmates like you in med school.

2/2 here... May 15 just can't arrive soon enough... And I still waiting to receive an initial response from one of the schools post interview :(

Me too!!! For the people that have multiple acceptances after May 15th they can only hold 1 acceptance?

I called the AAMC to ask about this. All applicants are supposed to have only one acceptance by May 15th. However, if you need more time to decide (i.e. you are waiting for financial aid packages), you can take a bit longer though you will forfeit your deposits at schools from which you haven't yet withdrawn. You can remain on as many waitlists as you would like, but as a courtesy to all your fellow applicants, it makes sense to withdraw as promptly as possible from schools and waitlists! =]

Also-- After May 15th, all schools can see where you are holding multiple acceptances and are very likely to call you to 1) ask where you are going and 2) request that you make a decision within their particular timeline.

6 interviews /6 waitlists here... I just want to know by now.

I think that this week and next week should be big for movement, but I think schools will not officialy reject until June or maybe even July.

It is going to be so hard to be filling out AMCAS and secondaries whie waiting for some type of news in June / July:scared:.

6 interviews /6 waitlists here... I just want to know by now.

I think that this week and next week should be big for movement, but I think schools will not officialy reject until June or maybe even July.

It is going to be so hard to be filling out AMCAS and secondaries whie waiting for some type of news in June / July:scared:.

On that final note, how does this work? Can you apply to a school at which you are sitting on a wait list from the previous cycle?

Wow. Who has the bad social skills? Those that are on multiple waitlists or the guy who comes onto the thread to BASH people he hasn't even met? hmmm.... Get a life, Colonel. Try being nice to others.

Good luck everyone (including Colonel)...he/she's gonna need it....if he/she thinks that they can get by in life by being rude to those they haven't even met.

And, FYI: If a school thought that the applicant had bad social skills, they would reject him or her flat out, not waitlist them. Perhaps there are other reasons that someone would be on multiple waitlists. . . . think outside the box, Colonel. If you want to be a physician, you are going to need to start doing that.

well that just simply is incorrect. In some cases yes, but many many schools just don't do post interview rejects, they put people on waitlist instead.

Other reasons -? No, if you have multiple WL it clearly means your interview is holding you back

And relax, I'm just pointing out the truth, . - yes it hurts, but that doesn't mean you should avoid it - if anything, learn from it as it may help you folk out getting acceptances in teh future. dont mean to bash anyone, yall have gotten many interviews, so clearly your doing something right

well that just simply is incorrect. In some cases yes, but many many schools just don't do post interview rejects, they put people on waitlist instead.

Other reasons -? No, if you have multiple WL it clearly means your interview is holding you back

And relax, I'm just pointing out the truth, . - yes it hurts, but that doesn't mean you should avoid it - if anything, learn from it as it may help you folk out getting acceptances in teh future. dont mean to bash anyone, yall have gotten many interviews, so clearly your doing something right

Unless you served on the admissions committee and made the decision to waitlist applicants, you don't know the truth. It's true that sometimes the interview is holding back the applicant, but that does not necessarily mean that the applicant demonstrated poor social skills or even poor interview skills. There is a bunch of factors that are considered post-interview for a decision, not just the interview. You don't know about the decision process from the admissions committee's point of view and you don't know about the applicant's application.

Unless you served on the admissions committee and made the decision to waitlist applicants, you don't know the truth. It's true that sometimes the interview is holding back the applicant, but that does not necessarily mean that the applicant demonstrated poor social skills or even poor interview skills. There is a bunch of factors that are considered post-interview for a decision, not just the interview. You don't know about the decision process from the admissions committee's point of view and you don't know about the applicant's application.

your 100% right, no doubt. But thats the case if you have 1, 2 even 3 WL. If your getting more then that, there has to be common denominator. Its definitely feasible that a bunch of factors post interview hold you back from acceptance, but if this has happened many times...then it's unlikely your just getting unlucky - clearly there is something in your application OR interview that is causing multiple schools to stop from giving an outright acceptance

Either way, I still wish yall the best of luck - just speakin a bit of truth here

your 100% right, no doubt. But thats the case if you have 1, 2 even 3 WL. If your getting more then that, there has to be common denominator. Its definitely feasible that a bunch of factors post interview hold you back from acceptance, but if this has happened many times...then it's unlikely your just getting unlucky - clearly there is something in your application OR interview that is causing multiple schools to stop from giving an outright acceptance

Either way, I still wish yall the best of luck - just speakin a bit of truth here

Where are you from? Your grammar is ridiculous. And, yes, there is obviously SOMETHING in the application that is holding the applicant back. That does NOT directly point to poor social skills. Unless you have read these applicant's portfolios, I suggest you not comment on them directly. Everyone has their own life struggles and experiences.... and, these glitches on applications do not necessarily mean that applicants are ill suited to become physicians. I'd venture to say that some are just unlucky...and end up on multiple WLs.

Anyway, why are you still reading this thread? Are YOU on multiple WLs?

Often the common denominator is lack of extensive clinical experience.

Where are you from? Your grammar is ridiculous. And, yes, there is obviously SOMETHING in the application that is holding the applicant back. That does NOT directly point to poor social skills. Unless you have read these applicant's portfolios, I suggest you not comment on them directly. Everyone has their own life struggles and experiences.... and, these glitches on applications do not necessarily mean that applicants are ill suited to become physicians. I'd venture to say that some are just unlucky...and end up on multiple WLs.

Anyway, why are you still reading this thread? Are YOU on multiple WLs?

Alright, I've tried to be civil - yet you are still getting enraged by the postings of an anon from teh internet - calm down buddy. Hmmm... what was I saying about social skills? Im from venus, thatfs why my grammer is terrible - really though? that's one of the weakest arguments and a sign of immaturity on your part, commenting on my grammer on a internet message board - I treat what I write here as I would facebook or msn. Furthermore, your commenting on something of mine that is completely irrelavant to the argument at hand is somewhat analagous to getting in an argument with a fat person about politics, getting frustrated, and just residing to calling him fat instead of adressing the point.

No, I am not on any WL, I was bored, found this thread, commented, and now am purely coming back to it due to the amusement I am getting from reading your psycho ass's posts

smoke a joint or something buddy, you needa chill the **** out

and anfleish raises a very good point - definitly could be a reason

Colonel, you say your intentions were just to point out the truth. Okay, I'll accept that. But the fact is, don't you think these people already feel bad enough without you coming on to their thread, which was made as a supportive outreach, and pointing out something that they probably have thought of?

They have gone through months of waiting and stress, so stop telling them to go smoke a joint and relax, when you don't know what they've been going through.

This is a group of people who are understandably very stressed out. This isn't the time to criticize them; it's the time to be supportive or GTFO.

I am not trying to argue with you, I am just pointing out the obvious.

jeez guys come on don't feed the troll he just wants attention

I wish the absolute best of luck to everyone who is going through the pain of being on many waitlists with no acceptances. It is a terrible feeling. Please do not let idiots like Forbin get to you; distract yourself somehow.

im on 3 waitlists guys. probably the most stressful 5 months i have ever been through.

lets all just have faith though! May 15th is almost here best of luck to all of us!

lol i really hope med students are not like Forbin. he's a gaping ass hole. By the way, i'm accepted, but i still think he's being an ass. correlation is not causation even if you are trying to make the social argument. secondly, it may not even be the interview at all. so gtfo and stop trolling.:diebanana:

Yeah I agree that Colonel was a little harsh and probably should have a little more sensitivity...but on the other hand what is the more likely situation, getting 8 WL due to bad interviewing skills or because of a poor application?

I mean if you get 8 interviews you probably have a pretty decent application...I only got 2 and I know why - applied late, not very good MCAT and GPA...but 8 interviews? Or actually I think he had 10, one was a rejection and one acceptance?

I mean it is MOST LIKELY that the interview didn't go well. Now this doesn't mean he has poor social skills. My bf is like the more socialable person and he is really personable but he like chokes up during interviews. He becomes like a zombie and gets too nervous. The fact is that an interview is no the same as hanging out with your friends...

Agreed, interviews are not the normal test of social skills. I do not typically go out with my peers and attempt to convince them that I would make a good physician while wearing a business suit and worrying about how I am going to make my flight back.

However, these skills must be developed for future interviews, residencies, and a professional career. At the same time I have talked to many people... some of them who actually have some authority on the subject who have told me that interviews don't mean too much. This probably varies for different schools, but how much weight can they really put on a 30 min interview when they have the applicants last 3 years on file. If we don't get in, we may all want to get some interview practice to try and perform better next cycle.

Anyway, the next few weeks are going to suck. Good luck to us all. :luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

you folk really must suck at interviews, or have weak social skills

Yeah I agree that Colonel was a little harsh and probably should have a little more sensitivity...but on the other hand what is the more likely situation, getting 8 WL due to bad interviewing skills or because of a poor application?

I mean if you get 8 interviews you probably have a pretty decent application...I only got 2 and I know why - applied late, not very good MCAT and GPA...but 8 interviews? Or actually I think he had 10, one was a rejection and one acceptance?

I mean it is MOST LIKELY that the interview didn't go well. Now this doesn't mean he has poor social skills. My bf is like the more socialable person and he is really personable but he like chokes up during interviews. He becomes like a zombie and gets too nervous. The fact is that an interview is no the same as hanging out with your friends...

I interviewed at some awesome schools (UCSF, UCSD, WashU, Sinai) and was waitlisted at all of them. At three of those schools I had interviewers tell me I would be a great fit for the school at the end of the interview. Well, when I received my decisions from them I was a little shocked. I contacted two of my interviewers who I got along really well with and inquired about this.

Both my interviewers told me the same thing. While my interview went really well and they thought I would be a great candidate for the school, my freshman year GPA came back to bite me in the butt come final decision making time. At these tier 1 schools, where other candidates have literally no blemishes, it's hard to stand out. So even though I had a lackluster GPA when I began college, I rocked hard the sciences after changing majors and my focus, which is what initially made them interested enough in me to invite me for an interview (among my other cool ECs/MCAT). It's this blemish that I know is keeping me out, but I was told to sit tight as these schools are just waiting to see how many of their stellar candidates accept their offer. Everyone won't, so after next week, my turn will come along.

I'm quite optimistic. This is just my story, but just trying to show that it's not just the interview that can hold an applicant back, even with multiple interviews and waitlists.

I interviewed at some awesome schools (UCSF, UCSD, WashU, Sinai) and was waitlisted at all of them. At three of those schools I had interviewers tell me I would be a great fit for the school at the end of the interview. Well, when I received my decisions from them I was a little shocked. I contacted two of my interviewers who I got along really well with and inquired about this.

Both my interviewers told me the same thing. While my interview went really well and they thought I would be a great candidate for the school, my freshman year GPA came back to bite me in the butt come final decision making time. At these tier 1 schools, where other candidates have literally no blemishes, it's hard to stand out. So even though I had a lackluster GPA when I began college, I rocked hard the sciences after changing majors and my focus, which is what initially made them interested enough in me to invite me for an interview (among my other cool ECs/MCAT). It's this blemish that I know is keeping me out, but I was told to sit tight as these schools are just waiting to see how many of their stellar candidates accept their offer. Everyone won't, so after next week, my turn will come along.

I'm quite optimistic. This is just my story, but just trying to show that it's not just the interview that can hold an applicant back, even with multiple interviews and waitlists.

This kind of pisses me off about medical school. What would be the point to invite a candidate to the interview if acing the interview didn't really help them receive an acceptance? I mean essentially even if you ace it you are wait listed...it's like you never had a shot to begin with which is kind of lame. I say this because I'm sure you were super nervous about the interviews, spent a lot of time and money, you get there and do awesome but then it's like they still look at your initial flaw.

This happened to me at one of my interviews. The guy basically told me I wouldn't get accepted because of my stats and I was like okay then why di you invite me for an interview if all you did was to invite me to yours school to tell me I wouldn't get in...kind of a waste of time.

In the end I know that the admission's committee looks at your entire application + interview to reach a decision. If you had a rough start in school, the interview should give you opportunity to explain that so they can look past it.

Anyways it's not just the top tier schools that do this, I think every school does this. Because honestly how much can they really learn about you from 30min-1hour?

It's okay though, the odds are with you if you have 3+ wait lists!

This happened to me at one of my interviews. The guy basically told me I wouldn't get accepted because of my stats and I was like okay then why di you invite me for an interview if all you did was to invite me to yours school to tell me I wouldn't get in...kind of a waste of time.

Wow.. how did the interviewer respond?

This kind of pisses me off about medical school. What would be the point to invite a candidate to the interview if acing the interview didn't really help them receive an acceptance? I mean essentially even if you ace it you are wait listed...it's like you never had a shot to begin with which is kind of lame. I say this because I'm sure you were super nervous about the interviews, spent a lot of time and money, you get there and do awesome but then it's like they still look at your initial flaw.

In the end I know that the admission's committee looks at your entire application + interview to reach a decision. If you had a rough start in school, the interview should give you opportunity to explain that so they can look past it.

Anyways it's not just the top tier schools that do this, I think every school does this. Because honestly how much can they really learn about you from 30min-1hour?

It's okay though, the odds are with you if you have 3+ wait lists!

Yeah it sucks, but I guess they do it because they know not everyone they straight up accept will attend. They keep a waitlist because they need to. Perhaps I was interviewing for the waitlist, but maybe they decided to waitlist me with the intent to accept after May 15th. Who knows. I'll let you guys know how things end up for me here.

Are you also waitlisted somewhere Ilvcurst?

Last edited:

:thumbup:

yup i had 22 pre-interview rejections but got several interviews (~7) at top tier schools (Harvard, Emory, Mayo, Mt. Sinai, NYU, etc)...all waitlists and my only post-interview rejection was at Harvard which was expected since they waitlist like 15-20 people..all because of a lower than average MCAT (31) at those schools..interviews all went really well..admissions look at the entire package, including interview with stats being the most important (with MCAT > GPA, especially for the top schools who are fighting every year to keep and improve their spot on the US News rankings because average MCAT of admitted students is weighted more in USNews than average GPA), and if there is one glaring weakness it usually is enough to put you on the waitlist since this process is so damn competitive (yes my MCAT is a weakness for those top schools especially for an asian applicant)...basically a waitlist means you're too good to reject but not good enough to outright accept

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.