NC State Admits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ugh. why am i worrying so much?! i'm excited and really nervous at the same time

:laugh: If it makes you feel better, your not the only one, I haven't had more than a few hours of sleep at a time since finding out! For me, it is kind of scary to think of going back to school full time for the first time in 8 years! :eek:

I need things to do that are PRODUCTIVE. Trying to track my childhood immunization records down is NOT productive (and a huge problem, waiting on a call back from Tammy...I can get letters from my schools saying that they required and would have insisted on proof at the time...but that all those records have been destroyed.)

I want a list of supplies to start obtaining, including texts. Hubby and I are headed up on Saturday to look at houses.

I get to tell my coworkers/vet boss tomorrow (which kind of feels weird, since my closest friend at work didn't get in for the 2nd time last year and is now looking to move out of the field.) I wanted to make a wolfpack set of cupcakes, and had the cupcakes baked...but then I pulled something in my neck today, and am in sooo much pain! :( Oh, and Dr. owner and I aren't on great terms right now :mad:

And I haven't received any info on the 27th, which I can't make anyways. :oops:

So, I completly empathize...I keep going from wildly excited to mildly anxiously impatient to nervous about performance.

And now I have to go get shots (argh....tetanus vax makes me SICK :thumbdown:.)

I still haven't had a tour of campus :( because of the construction.

And I am worried about $, even though hubby says we are fine. And about not having all the fur babies around all the time...and about hubby not having someone to make healthy meals and such. ARGH :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gee, thanks! Just having some idea makes me feel better!

me too! thanks a lot :)

sumstorm, omg you have a lot of stuff to worry about. i hope it's not too stressful!

also, anyone else worrying about the social aspects of school, or is it just me?

Sumstorm you will be fine!!!! It is a lot to stress about, but more to be excited about! I am sure you will do really well. :) Keep your head up! Sorry about the vaccines; That is definitely a bummer. :(

also, anyone else worrying about the social aspects of school, or is it just me?

I am actually excited about meeting everyone. We are going to be together for the next four years and create some life lasting friendships.

I am a little nervous that everyone is going to think I am a dork. But then I realized I am a dork, and that is ok. LOL!

IvyLynx: you will do just fine. Stay encouraged. Just be yourself and everything will work out. We are all in the same boat. If you are too worried, you can pick on me. (Remember, I am a dork.) LOL!

I think I am only "worrying" because I am anxious. What is everyone like? Will we be a close class? Will it matter? Will we even have time to be social outside of school?!! One of my 4th year friends said she barely even sees her SO at home (ie they share a house and she might see him 3 times a week). She was a 3rd year at the time, so I don't really know that I could compare that aspect of a 1st year experience to her 3rd one, but still.

You can ignore me. I'm shy around new people, so I don't think the typical person would have given this a second thought. Just wondering.

What worries me is of not having time for working out everyday and of not being efficient learning details fast. I don't know. I'm gonna use this summer to relax and recharge the batteries.
Hahaha. Can't believe this. The majority of us got accepted and we are excited, but after that we are kind of nervous with how we are going to handle the new lifestyle. What you guys think?

Why won't you be able to workout everday? I just plan on going everyday after class like usual. I tried working out before class....yeah, that didn't work out so well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why won't you be able to workout everday? I just plan on going everyday after class like usual. I tried working out before class....yeah, that didn't work out so well.

Yep! I will have to run in the mornings to exercise my shepherd, so I will definitly still get a work out.

I have been working on learning some study techniques that might help my efficiency. It is nice to already have the class schedule and exam schedule.

if you plan on being a regular at the gym, you'll see me with my notes on a cardio machine. i haven't tried it yet, but i figured it's be a nice way to knock two things out at once. i haven't quite learned to not study the night before yet, so this'll be a work in progress. then i can do a nice relaxing steam room visit!

Maybe is because I have this idea of being extra busy during vet school. I don't know. I love to run. Is a stress releaser, so maybe I will be running a lot. :xf:

Yep! I will have to run in the mornings to exercise my shepherd, so I will definitly still get a work out.

I have been working on learning some study techniques that might help my efficiency. It is nice to already have the class schedule and exam schedule.

Oh, share those techniques if you don't mind of course. And yes, it is nice. Don't they also show up the books?

Maybe is because I have this idea of being extra busy during vet school. I don't know. I love to run. Is a stress releaser, so maybe I will be running a lot. :xf:

'Tis why I want to make sure I don't lose my routine! Exercise is one of the best stress relievers I've got :) If only I liked treadmills! Perfect for studying. If only I could figure out a way to study and lift weights, sigh.

Totally OFF topic here.... But is there a dress code at NCSU... or can I wear my jeans and my sweatshirt to class???

'Tis why I want to make sure I don't lose my routine! Exercise is one of the best stress relievers I've got :) If only I liked treadmills! Perfect for studying. If only I could figure out a way to study and lift weights, sigh.

Break each part down into small 'chunks' that will fit on an index card (not a tone of writing, one concept/explanation per card and or one set of nerves, etc) and write it on index cards that are spiral bound (or they do have flip books where you can insert them.) Just before you use a piece of equipment for reps, look at a card, then rehears the information with each rep (works better if you are doing slow reps near the max of your limits.)

Oddly enough, whenever the muscle aches, you might be reminded of the information. It might also give you a kinetic 'tag' to the information.

Marine vet, I will post a general one after my animal nutrition test about what I am using technique wise. Right now, just taking breaks from studying.

Last edited:
regarding textbooks, you guys will get information in may or june from VETS (veterinary educational textbooks & supplies) through whom you will order your books. at that point your big sib (who will have contacted you by then) will let you know more about what you do/do not need. there's really not much you absolutely need, but then i'm not a big textbook user.

sorry i'll be missing you all on the 27th...gotta go to the savma symposium!

sorry i'll be missing you all on the 27th...gotta go to the savma symposium!

Will some of you who are attending the welcome weekend post any interesting info for those of us who can't change our schedules this close to that date? I really want to go, but I can't see sacrificing the fees I paid to attend clicker expo.

Oh, went house hunting today and think I found a good place near campus with a fenced yard and can have a roommate or two. Very lovely house that will be comfortable for school, within biking distance.

Thanks epistatic. That's useful to know.

Break each part down into small 'chunks' that will fit on an index card (not a tone of writing, one concept/explanation per card and or one set of nerves, etc) and write it on index cards that are spiral bound (or they do have flip books where you can insert them.) Just before you use a piece of equipment for reps, look at a card, then rehears the information with each rep (works better if you are doing slow reps near the max of your limits.)

Oddly enough, whenever the muscle aches, you might be reminded of the information. It might also give you a kinetic 'tag' to the information.

Hmm, I like this idea! Thanks.

@sumstorm: How doable do you think biking to campus is? I've thought about trying it, but I'm not much one for biking on the road and the sidewalks end somewhere around the Meredith campus. I think there's another route, with sidewalks, but it's at a huge intersection. I've been contemplating biking to main campus and then bussing over to the vet school as well.

I know I'm not sumstorm but...

http://www.raleighnc.gov/portal/ser...2_135021_0_0_18/Capital_Area_Greenway_Map.pdf

There is a Greenway that runs through Meredith, over the beltline and out to the art museum (Look for the tan-colored NCSU Veterinary School and Meredith College on the above map). You could bike from campus through Meredith and over the bridge over the beltline and be out at the art museum, which is almost next door to the CVM on Blue Ridge Rd. I've never done it, but it is a possibility. Or, you could just go down Hillsborough. You aren't supposed to ride your bike on sidewalks anyway :)

I know I'm not sumstorm but...

http://www.raleighnc.gov/portal/ser...2_135021_0_0_18/Capital_Area_Greenway_Map.pdf

There is a Greenway that runs through Meredith, over the beltline and out to the art museum (Look for the tan-colored NCSU Veterinary School and Meredith College on the above map). You could bike from campus through Meredith and over the bridge over the beltline and be out at the art museum, which is almost next door to the CVM on Blue Ridge Rd. I've never done it, but it is a possibility. Or, you could just go down Hillsborough. You aren't supposed to ride your bike on sidewalks anyway :)

You're also supposed to wear a helmet, and I never do that. :D In my defense, it's bit hard to fit a helmet over an afro. Also, I'm not good at biking. If there was a bike lane, I would use it, but since there isn't, I'd rather not to keep up traffic....and I don't trust drivers. Too many of my friends have had near accidents because of biking in the road (driver's fault of course :rolleyes:)

But thanks for the info. The boyfriend and I have been looking for more greenways.

Hey, I don't blame you. I'm way too chicken to ride my bike around here!

I will be coming into campus from the opposit direction. from the NW and entering through the back (at least as I currently understand it.) I have checked out the route a few times and I do plan on biking on the sidewalk at least until I get a ticket, since I have yet to see any pedestrians on it.

If I have to, I can drive....short drive anyways, but I would prefer to bike, at least if it isn't raining like this weekend.

Totally OFF topic here.... But is there a dress code at NCSU... or can I wear my jeans and my sweatshirt to class???

Nope, there's no dress code. =) I am also a jeans/hoodie addict! Obviously that will change come fourth year, but for now everyone just goes with their own style/comfort.

If any of you have questions about open house day (I'll be there) or life as an ncsu vet student, please feel free to PM me (or epitastic, i'm sure she'd be happy to chat too). Congrats on the acceptances!

I attended the Welcome Weekend at NCSU on Friday and during one of the presentations, Jeffery Huckle mentioned that out of the 217 in state applicants, it was wittled down to 130 in state applicants because 87 did not meet the minimum requirements. They accepted 62 in state seats. Hopefully this info will be useful to someone next round and give you HOPE. The odds are better that you will get accepted if you truly meet the pre reqs than comparing yourself again the entire applicant pool.

I cannot remember if he stated anything about the OOS applicants.

How did the welcome weekend go?

I went and toured on Wednesday, which was pretty cool, though not as thorough as the Welcome weekend (I think!)

I was in the middle of microriding sessions when the tour was going on!

I enjoyed it. There was a session that reviewed the stats among other things. I honestly can't remember everything that was said.

Most of the clubs were on display so you browse around. Some exhbits had listserv sign up sheets. We will have another chance to sign up in August.

A tour was given by first year students who answered questions as we went along. The groups were small and personal. There were 4 "newbies" in our group and three tour guides. The guides answered questions from every angle and even shared things additional insights. (This was the best part.)

At the reception, a 1st year student sat with us and shared even more. The Dean actually sat at our table for a while during the reception and shared that finacial aid was down significantly. [They will have ~$130K in grants/ scholarships this year which is down from about $280K to spread across ~380 students. Thus, the upper classes have a better chance of receiving this type aid. The breakdown was 40% 4th Y, 30% 3rd Y, 20% 2nd Y, 10% 1st Y.]

We were sized for coveralls and our white coats. So at least that was knocked out

I actually have less anxiety about school--excitement has set in.

Hello! I don't know if this happened to some, but I missed the V.E.T.S deadline to order supplies (coveralls, labcoats, scrubs, gloves,stethoscopes, needle holder, dissection kit, etc...). Does anyone knows any website were we can buy all these things at a lower price? :)

I don't think you missed the deadline. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the deadline for the order forms is July 1. Quoted from V.E.T.S. Supply email: ORDER FORMS ARE DUE TO ME: JULY 1ST !!!!

It better be July 1st! There are only a few things i plan on ordering, but my forms say July 1st, and I don't intend to rush. I am buying most of my books elsewhere, I am buying scrubs elsewhere ( I am short, and there isn't a petite option) but the coveralls seem cheaper there, as do some of the tools. I found a better place to get my stethoscope.

FYI--regarding VETS ordering. They have coveralls/scrubs/labcoats/scapel blades/gloves on hand all the time and have a weekly time during lunch when you can go buy that stuff--you could also pick it up when you get your books...(of course if everyone did this they wouldn't have enough)...but the point is--don't panic!

Also--I have found (sometimes) that books are cheaper online (used or new) than through VETS. Also-ask your bigsibs for book recommendations. If you're not a textbook type--you may find that you really don't need many books. (also borrowing books from big sibs is a good way to go).

if you have more questions, feel free to pm me...

No. I emailed R in response to the email about big sibs, and got a message back that I would get an email soon. Haven't heard yet, so who knows.

So i have been trying to come up with 3 sentences to say about the vet that is so important to me. Nothing I seem to write is doing her justice. :scared: anyone else having trouble?

Yeah. no idea.

My presenter isn't a vet. She is a vet tech and my mother. She not only introduced me to vet medicine, but encouraged me all my life to do the best I can and aim for dreams higher than I thought I could make.

She and my father are driving out 14 hours overnight to be here, and have to leave the next day to return home in time for work. That kind of dedication to my dreams and aspirations means so much to who I am and where I am going as a veterinarian.

I hope I am not the only person who elected not to have a vet present. The vet I would have most wanted to present is half way around the world. The others....things have changed....and they are far enough away that they don't want to come here for this. I want someone as passioned about my future as I am.