New York COM (NYCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ouch! I feel really badly for you guys! =(

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear that... all of you guys will rock the interviews in jan! best of luck!!!!... I wanted to know if any of you guys have heard of particular interview questions NYCOM likes to ask...anything they like to grill students on.... my interview is coming up soon and kinda nervous ...

Sorry to hear that... all of you guys will rock the interviews in jan! best of luck!!!!... I wanted to know if any of you guys have heard of particular interview questions NYCOM likes to ask...anything they like to grill students on.... my interview is coming up soon and kinda nervous ...

When is your interview? And yeah I'm pretty nervous too! Several friends of mine just said it's "laid back" whatever that means....

Members don't see this ad :)
When is your interview? And yeah I'm pretty nervous too! Several friends of mine just said it's "laid back" whatever that means....

hmm nov 28th... yours?.... any thoughts on questions?

Second year student here at NYCOM. Let me know if you have any questions.

:thumbup:
Second year student here at NYCOM. Let me know if you have any questions.

I wanted to know how to interview is like...and what type of questions do they like to ask...anything particular?

Well, my interview was a long time ago... Jan 11th 2011. I trolled my past posts and found what I wrote about it recently after it happened.
"First off, the day is situated ( morning interview that I had) where you arrive at 8:45 am to sign in. At 9 interviews start...I was the first to arrive and first to go, but they say that is not the way it works. There were ten people being interviewed and two interviewers..so that's five per interviewer. My guy was a PhD in anatomy and liked to talk. It was very conversation and laid back. His interviews ranged from 30 mins to an hour ( mine was 45 ish). The other guy interviewing was very short...like 5 mins short. I think he had a meeting to get to by 10. Once you interview you wait till everyones done and at 11 there is a PBL talk and then a finical aid talk. After which, there is lunch with the students and then a tour.

Okay...so the meat of the matter. Like I said my interviewer liked to talk. When I went into " his" office he proceeded to give me direction to a coin museum and talk about that. I mentioned in my secondary that one of my childhood hobbies was collecting old and foreign coins. He deff read my primary and secondary so I would suggest re-reading them and being able to talk about that. He actually pointed out a mistake on my secondary...which was not a mistake but i didn't argue. We talked about my shadowing experience and what I took away/ saw while doing it. Why was I confident I wanted to be a doctor? Yada, yada...don't remember many questions after that. Make sure you have questions for him/her..like pros and cons for each pathway offered. Student/mentor programs? Study abroad opportunities? Research availability based on pathway chosen?"

Hope it helps! Best of luck!

Cheers,
Peweee17
:thumbup:

I wanted to know how to interview is like...and what type of questions do they like to ask...anything particular?

Come December 5 the school is officially being renamed NYIT-COM ( New York institute of technology - college of osteopathic medicine.)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was complete 9/14 and have not heard anything. I know they silently reject, I am starting to get pretty worried.

Submitted my secondary application on 9/13, and never got a complete email. ii 11/14!!

Submitted my secondary application on 9/13, and never got a complete email. ii 11/14!!

Congratulations! I submitted the supplemental on 9/13 as well, hopefully they haven't gotten to mine yet :(

Anyone know how many people they interview/accept each year?

For this all I can say is the class of 2016 had 320 ish students on the first days of class. My class of 2015 was about 315 and we are down to 250-275

I was complete 9/14 and have not heard anything. I know they silently reject, I am starting to get pretty worried.

First off, NYCOM just had their first interviewees on this past Tuesday. They inter view all the way to late March with acceptances possible going out till early May. I am a Student Ambassador ( fancy way of saying I give tours to interviewing students and try to sell the school) and that is how I know how late the process runs.

Pewee... What are my odds as an OOS applicant?

I completed a summer internship at the memorial sloan kettering cancer center and that is my only tie, however, I made sure to write about the experience since it's probably one of the best experiences most pre-meds can have.

3.4-3.5 cGPA/sGPA and 27 MCAT after submitting with a 24 MCAT in June. About a month ago, I submitted my new MCAT and have been waiting since. They said I am 'under review', but it's been about 3 weeks now.

First off, NYCOM just had their first interviewees on this past Tuesday. They inter view all the way to late March with acceptances possible going out till early May. I am a Student Ambassador ( fancy way of saying I give tours to interviewing students and try to sell the school) and that is how I know how late the process runs.

well as you can see...you wouldn't have to try very hard to sell me the school, going into it already sold ;)
hopeful!

Pewee... What are my odds as an OOS applicant?

I completed a summer internship at the memorial sloan kettering cancer center and that is my only tie, however, I made sure to write about the experience since it's probably one of the best experiences most pre-meds can have.

3.4-3.5 cGPA/sGPA and 27 MCAT after submitting with a 24 MCAT in June. About a month ago, I submitted my new MCAT and have been waiting since. They said I am 'under review', but it's been about 3 weeks now.
Stats are very similar to mine except I am in state. there are quite a few out of state students, but are majority are from NY. Technically they are a private school and there should be no preference. I didn't get my invite for interview 'till mid Dec.
well as you can see...you wouldn't have to try very hard to sell me the school, going into it already sold ;)
hopeful!
Hahaha. Hope you hear good news soon

Just got my invite 2 days ago, I'm from CT! I was kind of surprised, they sent it before I submitted my secondary (i got mad when it deleted my info while submitting a month ago). Now I have to bust out the secondary tomorrow before scheduling :p

Do any current students have insight into where clinical sights and residents get matched? I'm hoping to do some training in NYC but have a feeling most of the clinical sights are in LI. Also, are there programs for international work?

Just got my invite 2 days ago, I'm from CT! I was kind of surprised, they sent it before I submitted my secondary (i got mad when it deleted my info while submitting a month ago). Now I have to bust out the secondary tomorrow before scheduling :p

Do any current students have insight into where clinical sights and residents get matched? I'm hoping to do some training in NYC but have a feeling most of the clinical sights are in LI. Also, are there programs for international work?

Here is the website for the clinical sites:

http://iris.nyit.edu/~NYCOMEC/

Do you know how I can update my primary....is it simply that i add the changes and it automatically does it...or what is the procedure? I have few things I want to add and would greatly appreciate any info about it

Well, my interview was a long time ago... Jan 11th 2011. I trolled my past posts and found what I wrote about it recently after it happened.
"First off, the day is situated ( morning interview that I had) where you arrive at 8:45 am to sign in. At 9 interviews start...I was the first to arrive and first to go, but they say that is not the way it works. There were ten people being interviewed and two interviewers..so that's five per interviewer. My guy was a PhD in anatomy and liked to talk. It was very conversation and laid back. His interviews ranged from 30 mins to an hour ( mine was 45 ish). The other guy interviewing was very short...like 5 mins short. I think he had a meeting to get to by 10. Once you interview you wait till everyones done and at 11 there is a PBL talk and then a finical aid talk. After which, there is lunch with the students and then a tour.

Okay...so the meat of the matter. Like I said my interviewer liked to talk. When I went into " his" office he proceeded to give me direction to a coin museum and talk about that. I mentioned in my secondary that one of my childhood hobbies was collecting old and foreign coins. He deff read my primary and secondary so I would suggest re-reading them and being able to talk about that. He actually pointed out a mistake on my secondary...which was not a mistake but i didn't argue. We talked about my shadowing experience and what I took away/ saw while doing it. Why was I confident I wanted to be a doctor? Yada, yada...don't remember many questions after that. Make sure you have questions for him/her..like pros and cons for each pathway offered. Student/mentor programs? Study abroad opportunities? Research availability based on pathway chosen?"

Hope it helps! Best of luck!

Cheers,
Peweee17

I'm not sure how to do it or even if you can. I completed my application in Sept 2010. Long time ago for me. I did do though if I wanted to update them on new information like new shadowing or community service event post application is that I would write them a letter of update for them to add to my file. It also wouldn't hurt to mail a letter of interest if there is a quiet period expressing your continued desire to attend and love for the field etc.

Last edited:
For this all I can say is the class of 2016 had 320 ish students on the first days of class. My class of 2015 was about 315 and we are down to 250-275

WOW!!!

Is this the norm at nycom. Is this true for all classes??

Thats a load of students who drop out....:confused:

Nycom people please chime in if you have knowledge of this...

Has anyone been given a straight answer as to when we will find out the decisions based on the first round of interviews? I interviewed 11/13 and anticipation is killing me! I heard 2-4 weeks via mail but that was multiple sources.

Also, what's the deal with thank you letters? Who do you send them to and what should they mention?

I have talked to my roomates and I might have over estimated with 250. I didn't mean to scare you guys. All four of us agree that 275 is a fair estimate of the people left in our class. I hate to be a realist, but there are going to be people that withdrawal from enrollment (10-15 percent) either due to medical reasons, life style choices, failing grades, etc. NYCOM is a very supportive school and they offer many services to ensure students succes here. Medical school isn't easy as I am sure everyone is aware of, but if you are committed and in it for the long haul then you will do fine. If any one has questions please do not hesitate to ask.
WOW!!!

Has anyone been given a straight answer as to when we will find out the decisions based on the first round of interviews? I interviewed 11/13 and anticipation is killing me! I heard 2-4 weeks via mail but that was multiple sources.

Also, what's the deal with thank you letters? Who do you send them to and what should they mention?
I think not only is the Thank You letter a must, it is expected. I would address it to: To Whom It May Concern or to the person that interviewed you . And I would thank them for the opportunity to talk about my desire to become educated in the filed of medics. Your continued interest in the school. Yada yada yada.

That's just me.

WOW!!!

If by drop out you mean "failed and kicked out", then no not entirely, despite what some haters from Touro/RVU have enjoyed perpetuating on this forum in the past. Agreed with what peewee said.

I don't have the exact numbers for my class, but I know a decent amount of classmates that have needed to take leaves of absence (ie birth of a child), left for medical reasons, or just dropped out entirely for other personal reasons. Are there people that fail, sure, but I don't think they made up the large majority of the lost class size, at least for my year. Several have been allowed to repeat 1st/2nd year.

I think 2014 started somewhere in the 300+ range, and now its down to 280 something.

Can anyone tell me what the interview questions were like or point in me a good direction?

Last edited:
-.- i have acceptances at 3 other schools and deposits are due very soon... wish a interview invite would come sooner..

-.- i have acceptances at 3 other schools and deposits are due very soon... wish a interview invite would come sooner..

Yea I am in a similar situation with the deposits all coming down on me. I feel great that have these acceptances but I never thought about these additional costs going into this process.

Has anyone who interviewed here this year already received a decision?

Still waiting... I saw last year the first person to post an acceptance did so on 12/8

I wonder if they will send all November interview decisions at once. I interviewed at the end of Novemeber and we were told that we should hear back from them hopefully before the holidays.

I wonder if they will send all November interview decisions at once. I interviewed at the end of Novemeber and we were told that we should hear back from them hopefully before the holidays.

Most likely they will do them all at the same time. I was 11/13 and was told about 4 weeks.

This thread is too quiet!
no ii anyone? it's been a while since the last few where posted...pulling my hair:scared:

Just an update for those coming for future interviews or planing on send update letters. The school has officially changed its name yesterday at 3pm to "NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine" For better or worse...

any acceptance? or anyone heard back after interviews???

Interview invite today! WOOHOOO! 3.6c 26Q then 28M, 2 sisters that attending this school as well. Didn't submit secondaries yet. Goodluck everyone applying! hope you guys get ii too! Anyone know the interview questions?