No-II Gang HOW WE FEELIN ABOUT THIS WEEK? ~2020 edition~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I managed to make it a while without checking SDN/reddit and getting nervous, but I've back on and I'm more neurotic than ever. I'm just hoping I get an II soon so I can be sure there's no hidden red flag on my application.
That's the feeling! I can't stop thinking there must be red flags on my application.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll should have stats in the signature so that you can have some comparison.

Reactions: 1 user
Another week... another disappointment of no II's :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys, hang in there. You are all fantastic. It just takes time for them to read thousands of applications. Our time will come.
I have an MD interview from a school I completed in early August, but the majority of my schools I finished late August to September, and I'm still finishing the last two of my secondaries. I am with you all.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
That's the feeling! I can't stop thinking there must be red flags on my application.
I'm new to this site, but I joined to give advice/encouragement/tips, etc.

It is a common misconception that a red flag at school A will 'carry' through from school B-Z, or that a red flag to one reviewer will be a red flag to another or all other reviewers. To give you an idea of what I mean, here is an example of how things work on the admissions committee I serve on...

My school assigns designated screeners with the task of reviewing applications. It's not a round table with people voting nay/yay for an interview invite. I know for a fact that one screener doesn't care about any minor behavioral issues (e.g. drinking in a dorm that resulted in disciplinary action). On the contrary, I know of another screener who will pass over any applicant with any infraction involving drugs/alcohol. Similarly, there is a screener who cares about absolutely nothing (and I mean nothing) but numbers, while a few other screeners will look at the 'whole story' and pick 'weaker' applicants who have some grit/life experience.

What am I trying to tell you? The process is much more subjective than one would think (as is the acceptance process, albeit to a lesser extent)...and sometimes your fate at a school is determined by luck. I know for sure that my app would have been tossed by the screener above who cares only about numbers. Luckily, my app wasn't in his/her pile a few years ago.

Why am I telling you this? I know it's hard to believe, but you shouldn't allow any of your self-worth to be determined by this process. Are there certain metrics, behavioral qualities, and experiences that are required? Yes, absolutely. And people who have deficits will find themselves without an invitation all year. Nevertheless, just remember that most applicants are at least somewhat qualified in one way or another, yet the majority don't get in each year.

One of the top people in my class applied 3 times...if he didn't tell me, I would have thought he got in Oct. 15 and had a 515 MCAT. Keep going, keep pushing to make yourself better, and don't ever let this process get the best of you. If you truly want to be a doctor, you will become a doctor. Best of luck to all.

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Love
Reactions: 22 users
I am manifesting II's for all of us this week!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
LM 77, complete at 39 schools beginning of August, decent ECs (1000ish hrs research w pub, 400ish hrs clinical and 250ish non-clinical) and have not heard anything.

Hey, y'all, I know it feels miserable, but just remember that when you get your II doesn't necessarily correlate with how likely you are to get in. I got my II for my med school in August. I didn't get accepted until March. I got another II at a different school months later (like beginning of November) and interviewed at the end of November and got in like two weeks later. You just never know.

So just hang in there. There are tens of thousands of people applying, and thousands at each school you've applied to. You might get a slow admissions counselor, or the committee might have had a week off because of an event, or whatever. There are a million reasons that have nothing to do with your app why you might get an II a little later than someone else. It's not a measure of your worth or your competitiveness. You got this!

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
I think the worry isn't that any 1 particular school is evaluating you late, but that every school is silent. I mean, what are the odds someone is in the slow pile at 20+ schools? Not that it's productive to think that way.

I think the worry isn't that any 1 particular school is evaluating you late, but that every school is silent. I mean, what are the odds someone is in the slow pile at 20+ schools? Not that it's productive to think that way.
Especially with those stats lol

• Care
Reactions: 1 users

It’s September. It’s way too early to be thinking schools are “silent” on your app.

there’s too much encouragement in this thread, I came here to spiral

• Haha
Reactions: 25 users
Members don't see this ad :)
there’s too much encouragement in this thread, I came here to spiral

reminds me of how when I complain to my husband he tries to fix the problem instead of just letting me whine

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
Was staying calm but my 2 holds and nothing else out of 20ish apps sent me limping over here. Anyone else feeling like these "record numbers" of apps might mean they didn't apply to enough schools?

Was staying calm but my 2 holds and nothing else out of 20ish apps sent me limping over here. Anyone else feeling like these "record numbers" of apps might mean they didn't apply to enough schools?

I applied to too many schools and it has been radio silence so far :(

• Sad
I think I'm probably still on hold at Tulane. When I apply to residency next year I'm going to request that they finally remove me from hold.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
I am also a high stat applicant, though my ECs probably aren’t quite as good as yours. I’ve heard from only one school about an II, but this school doesn’t look at LORs until after the interview. Though I had no reason before applying to believe that my LORs would be a problem, I am getting concerned that my lack of responses from schools may be explained by one or more of my letters being less than flattering.

I’m trying to not worry, and I think it’s just a combination of submitting in August, delayed cycle, and an increase in overall applicants (at least that’s what I’m telling myself).

When do you guys think late july - mid august completes will hear back from most schools?

I am also a high stat applicant, though my ECs probably aren’t quite as good as yours. I’ve heard from only one school about an II, but this school doesn’t look at LORs until after the interview. Though I had no reason before applying to believe that my LORs would be a problem, I am getting concerned that my lack of responses from schools may be explained by one or more of my letters being less than flattering.

You’re posting in a no II thread about only having one II?

• Haha
Reactions: 17 users
No vita invite gang rise up

Reactions: 9 users
To grant you all some perspective (I still remember how terrible this process feels)...

I didn’t get my first invite until the end of September. I got my second invite sometime in October while driving to my first interview. I received my third interview in November, my fourth and fifth in January, and my sixth at the end of March. And this was during a normal, non-COVID cycle back in 2016.

When the end of Nov hits, that’s when you should start worrying. It’s very early. My admissions committee has only interviewed ~ 50 applicants so far.

• Love
Reactions: 17 users
To grant you all some perspective (I still remember how terrible this process feels)...

I didn’t get my first invite until the end of September. I got my second invite sometime in October while driving to my first interview. I received my third interview in November, my fourth and fifth in January, and my sixth at the end of March. And this was during a normal, non-COVID cycle back in 2016.

When the end of Nov hits, that’s when you should start worrying. It’s very early. My admissions committee has only interviewed ~ 50 applicants so far.

And then there's Tulane already scheduling interviews for February...

• Haha
And then there's Tulane already scheduling interviews for February...
Some schools like Tulane, UMich, and Vandy are sending II's like normal. Many other schools like WashU haven't even started sending IIs yet. It is school specific, and for most schools, I think things are more complicated than just being delayed by 2 weeks.

Some schools like Tulane, UMich, and Vandy are sending II's like normal. Many other schools like WashU haven't even started sending IIs yet. It is school specific, and for most schools, I think things are more complicated than just being delayed by 2 weeks.
It would help if adcoms would let us know what the plan is lol

Are CA applicants viewed with the lowest priority? From what I've read on here, I get the feeling that CA applicants might get viewed later than others.

Are CA applicants viewed with the lowest priority? From what I've read on here, I get the feeling that CA applicants might get viewed later than others.
Lol this would make me feel better, maybe I'm viewed later because of residency, not a problem in my app lol. Also just to like reaffirm, isn't it normal to be viewed closer to Oct/Nov with late July to mid-Aug complete dates?

even mid to late july apps get reviewed all the way up until january at many many schools. URMs get reviewed very quickly so do many high stats applicants at lower stats schools.
I keep hearing this but I'm high stats, so it makes me nervous because wouldn't it be more likely they looked at my app early and then were like "nah," so now I keep trying to guess what about my app is off-putting lol

URMs get reviewed very quickly so do many high stats applicants at lower stats schools.
I'm relatively new to this site, but I've noticed a tendency to paint all schools/admissions processes with broad, sweeping generalizations. My school's admissions dept does not do anything close to what you are stating...we've interviewed students from colleges I've never heard of and students from Harvard (with stats all over the place). And in the past 1.5 months, I've seen 3 students underrepresented in medicine...

There is a lot of talk on SDN seemingly about how the red carpet is rolled out for those underrepresented in medicine. My school has over 400 students and I have more fingers and toes than my school has students from underrepresented backgrounds. Schools need them, students need them, communities need them, the world needs them, but the sad fact is that they're just not there in the numbers needed...and the reasons behind that are devastating.

I understand that this process is difficult, but try not to ascribe your current situations (you don't have situations yet, it's too early) to erroneous beliefs. I'm not picking on anyone, just making a generalized statement. I apologize for plugging up your thread with this so I will see myself out. If you have questions you can always PM me.

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
Still waiting on results for 30+ applications at MD and DO schools...was complete at most places by the end of August and a few schools first week of September. Just got a pharm tech job to fill the time while I wait :) I have an above average MCAT and below average GPA so I'm kind of a fringe candidate (for MD)

When do you guys think late july - mid august completes will hear back from most schools?

Not sure if this has been addressed, but when you apply has much less to do with when you get an II than other things like which screener you get, how competitive you are, etc.

• Love

Of numbers one through six, which one did you ultimately go to?

How are we all feeling for next week? Anyone get an interview?

Pulling for you all. I know how you feel. I was panicked until I received my first II in the second week of October.

No need to worry. It's still early.

One of my state schools is supposed to start sending II next week so fingers crossed

Completed most of my schools around late July/early August, not a lick of news. Should this be cause for concern if I can't find any red flags in my app (stats, essays, ECs are fine according to many others, so maybe a potentially bad LOR)?

Reactions: 3 users
Completed most of my schools around late July/early August, not a lick of news. Should this be cause for concern if I can't find any red flags in my app (stats, essays, ECs are fine according to many others, so maybe a potentially bad LOR)?
Schools get 5k+ applications. I think you’re right in that during this ~1.75 month timespan (of ~ 8 month process), every school you applied to has read your application and found your hypothetical crummy letter of rec...universally deciding that you are not cut out for medicine this year. What a punch to the gut!

It’s still very early. Start worrying about not having an II by Turkey day. Relax and enjoy your free time while you still have a healthy amount, and always remember that everything always works out in the end, no matter what.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Schools get 5k+ applications. I think you’re right in that during this ~1.75 month timespan (of ~ 8 month process), every school you applied to has read your application and found your hypothetical crummy letter of rec...universally deciding that you are not cut out for medicine this year. What a punch to the gut!

It’s still very early. Start worrying about not having an II by Turkey day. Relax and enjoy your free time while you still have a healthy amount, and always remember that everything always works out in the end, no matter what.
Appreciate the reality check :rofl:, perhaps I've been around too many gunners.

However, I think it's important to note that many schools are hitting their max numbers of applicants from last year (as in number of applicants from the entirety of last cycle; Davis is currently at 7.7k from last year's total of 7k according to their webinar; Stanford has record high numbers, as do many other schools).

Not to say that this lends credence to my LOR conspiracy theory, but the insane influx of early applicants may be causing news to come slower to those who applied around the time I did. It's definitely not good for those applying October or so imo.

Bummer of a week. 515 MCAT, 3.9 sGPA, complete at 33 schools in late July to mid August. CA, ORM, traditional applicant.

With those stats you'll get plenty of interviews, I'm sure! It's still *so* early in the season. Kick back and enjoy some downtime if you can. :)

I'm relatively new to this site, but I've noticed a tendency to paint all schools/admissions processes with broad, sweeping generalizations. My school's admissions dept does not do anything close to what you are stating...we've interviewed students from colleges I've never heard of and students from Harvard (with stats all over the place). And in the past 1.5 months, I've seen 3 students underrepresented in medicine...

There is a lot of talk on SDN seemingly about how the red carpet is rolled out for those underrepresented in medicine. My school has over 400 students and I have more fingers and toes than my school has students from underrepresented backgrounds. Schools need them, students need them, communities need them, the world needs them, but the sad fact is that they're just not there in the numbers needed...and the reasons behind that are devastating.

I understand that this process is difficult, but try not to ascribe your current situations (you don't have situations yet, it's too early) to erroneous beliefs. I'm not picking on anyone, just making a generalized statement. I apologize for plugging up your thread with this so I will see myself out. If you have questions you can always PM me.
COME BACK WE NEED YOU!

For real though, your insight is so valuable!

Reactions: 2 users
Bummer of a week. 515 MCAT, 3.9 sGPA, complete at 33 schools in late July to mid August. CA, ORM, traditional applicant.
I'm with you buddy, same stats/complete dates except with a 3.8. Definitely sucks, but if we don't have red flags and we play our cards right we should be bound for some good news.

Reactions: 2 users
Was in a meeting with pre-med advisor at a top UG, and (according to various "associations"), they said that interviews are going out sloooowly. Ofc not applicable to all schools (*cough* Tulane *cough*), but I think IIs going out, not only later, but more slowly this year than compared to others. One reason was that schools have to adapt to online interviewing, so maybe they want more time in between interviews to fix issues that arise.

I think I might be the first reapplicant in history to massively improve pretty much everything but have a WORSE cycle than their previous cycle. Having gotten 2 II->WL last cycle and then added thousands of hours of excellent ECs, improved my writing and LoRs, and improved my MCAT by like 12 points, I thought there was no way I wouldn't have II by the end of September...I didn't even seriously entertain the possibility.

This last month has just left me feeling broken, and I have no reason to believe this new one will be any better :(

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 14 users
How about for the 2 II schools from the previous cycle, have you heard back from them? Did you reach out to ask for feedback on your previous application?

I think I might be the first reapplicant in history to massively improve pretty much everything but have a WORSE cycle than their previous cycle. Having gotten 2 II->WL last cycle and then added thousands of hours of excellent ECs, improved my writing and LoRs, and improved my MCAT by like 12 points, I thought there was no way I wouldn't have II by the end of September...I didn't even seriously entertain the possibility.

This last month has just left me feeling broken, and I have no reason to believe this new one will be any better :(
I'm so sorry to hear :'( Keep in mind that the timelines of last cycle and this cycle are very different! Many schools are pushed back by one or two months, so you still have another month to get a II to beat/match the timeline of your cycle last year!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users