Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Alternate list!! So glad it's not a rejection!

Members don't see this ad.

That's the one thing I found contradicting on their FAQ sheet. It says it's completely random and there is no ranking, so they don't want us to contact them about our status. But the FAQ sheet not only welcomes but advises us to send updates for the committee so they can see that we are still interested and improve our chances... :confused:

Weighted lottery perhaps? Like the NBA draft.

This is just speculation.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

For those that had their interviews today, how did they go?

Did your interviewers say anything about open spots or the alternate list?

I am interviewing on Thursday. Pretty excited!

Members don't see this ad :)
interviewed on feb 28th and just been placed on alternate list today.......does anyone know if an alternate list placement gets guaranteed acceptance next cycle or at least more consideration for acceptance next cycle? Some of the older posts for nova said that some waitlisted applicants get guaranteed acceptance for the following cycle, but i dont know if they currently do that or not.

Some of the older posts for nova said that some waitlisted applicants get guaranteed acceptance for the following cycle, but i dont know if they currently do that or not.

That would not make much sense....

On a side note... how did the match go for NSU-COM students this year?

interviewed on feb 28th and just been placed on alternate list today.......does anyone know if an alternate list placement gets guaranteed acceptance next cycle or at least more consideration for acceptance next cycle? Some of the older posts for nova said that some waitlisted applicants get guaranteed acceptance for the following cycle, but i dont know if they currently do that or not.

Ya if that were the case then most of the spots for next cycle would be taken by people who didn't get in off the waitlist, which would seem like a little much

That would not make much sense....

On a side note... how did the match go for NSU-COM students this year?

It was asked in the match list thread at the Osteo section but no response. So I'll assume it's not madr yet. I'm curious to see it though!

That's a tough spot to be in. Your MCAT and cGPA are right on their average, and your sGPA is a tad bit under. Considering that there are people with higher stats who have been waitlisted, I would think about retaking the MCAT just in case.There is supposed to be a good amount of movement though, so maybe look through last year's threads and see if people with similar stats got accepted off the waitlist?

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'm scheduled to retake the MCAT on April 27th. Got a lot of studying to do. Have been out of school for 2+ years. Thankfully, a friend who took the Kaplan course gave me all of her books and study aids. :) Here's hopin' and prayin' for the best!

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'm scheduled to retake the MCAT on April 27th. Got a lot of studying to do. Have been out of school for 2+ years. Thankfully, a friend who took the Kaplan course gave me all of her books and study aids. :) Here's hopin' and prayin' for the best!

Good luck! But hopefully we will all get off the alternate list in a few weeks/months :)

Just some friendly advice: return the Kaplan Verbal book and pick up a copy of EK 101 Passages. I think you'll be glad you did.

Just official withdrew my acceptance here. Hope my seat goes to one of you waitlisted. I know the feeling of waitlisting. Stay hopeful and don't give up. As many of us are reaching school deadlines to withdraw and being offered interviews at some of our top choices, more spots will open. Good luck!!

Just some friendly advice: return the Kaplan Verbal book and pick up a copy of EK 101 Passages. I think you'll be glad you did.

More helpful advice. Toss all those Kaplan books, acquire Berkeley Review or at the least Examkrackers. Do lots of practice questions and tests. Good luck, :thumbup: it's hard to feel good about this test but it's just an obstacle to get past.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'll +1 the comment below about TBR. I thought TPR > EK for verbal, but it sounds like you're pretty much all set with Kaplan. Good luck to you! I know a lot of people that did well using only their books.

I'll +1 the comment below about TBR. I thought TPR > EK for verbal, but it sounds like you're pretty much all set with Kaplan. Good luck to you! I know a lot of people that did well using only their books.
I agree THE BERKLEY REVIEW exams will help, but i also used the Princeton review hyperlearning MCAT verbal workbook. I wasted money on Kaplan course, and Examkracker books and materials. But keep in mind what works for one person does not always work for another. Some people love Kaplan and it works for them, but for me it was TBR and that workbook.

Just official withdrew my acceptance here. Hope my seat goes to one of you waitlisted. I know the feeling of waitlisting. Stay hopeful and don't give up. As many of us are reaching school deadlines to withdraw and being offered interviews at some of our top choices, more spots will open. Good luck!!

Thank you for the encouraging words!

Has anyone gotten in off the wait list at Nova?

People for past years def have. As far as this year, I don't think anyone has yet.

I'm pre-writing my secondaries and can't find NOVAs.

Anyone know what the essay prompts were? I know people say its super easy and fast--but not sure what exactly that means.

Anyone know what the essay prompts were? I know people say its super easy and fast--but not sure what exactly that means.

There are no essays if I remember correctly.

oh and

One Piece > Naruto

Come at me bro.

You're in luck.

No essays!

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Thanks for Essay Info

and yeah--I hear that alot.

After my MCAT I plan on starting either One Piece of Fairy Tail. My friends swear on One Piece saying its the best show ever--dunno.

One Piece is easily the best anime ive seen and manga I've read. It's REALLY REALLY good. I've been keeping up with it since I was a first year undergrad.

Weighted lottery perhaps? Like the NBA draft.

This is just speculation.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Whenever I think of the draft I think the year the Heat had the highest percentage chance to get the first pick. Instead we ended up with the second overall pick and got Michael Beasley, what a bust.

Though things are much better for the Heat now :laugh:

Whenever I think of the draft I think the year the Heat had the highest percentage chance to get the first pick. Instead we ended up with the second overall pick and got Michael Beasley, what a bust.

Though things are much better for the Heat now :laugh:

You guys got to trade beasley to get bron though!

Can someone here that shadow a D.O. in the Palm Beach/ Broward area give me contact information of that D.O. for me to shadow?

I would really appreciate it.

Has any accepted student gotten the financial aid package yet?

So why does all the normal waitlist movement occur during june/july if the second deposit was just due? Would they know that x number of people aren't coming because they didn't pay up?

i think it's because they want to wait until the end of the interview cycle. i may be wrong but i believe today is the last interview day. i imagine that there will be some movement in about a month...

I think 3/21 was the last day for interviews from what I saw on the scheduler.

i think it's because they want to wait until the end of the interview cycle. i may be wrong but i believe today is the last interview day. i imagine that there will be some movement in about a month...

We are on a much needed break right now. I can't imagine they would schedule interviews without students to show you around and give you guys the abbreviated 411.

How long is the break NeuroLax?

One week of Spring "break" which basically means studying at the beach or by the pool, "quenching" your thirst, and catching up on sleep.

And Whole Foods!

and i guess some other normal stuff

I still haven't been to Whole Foods down here. Might be a tad on the pricey side of med student budgets, but if you're willing to spend a little extra their selection is pretty good.

Of course there are tons of Mexican, Cuban, and Islander cuisine restaurants down here. I go to those more than your typical Chipotle, Moe's, and Lime. I'm not a fan of the Lime as of yet, but then again I just didn't like what I ordered the one time I've been. I ordered a chicken burrito bowl thinking it was going to be hot and spicy, and it was not... :thumbdown:

Sorry for spamming the thread,

But for those accepted---were they conditional on completion of the courses you listed as planned or unconditional?

Sounds like a situation not many people would have been in so it may be hard to give you a concrete answer. Probably best to call the school and ask them.

I think in a situation like that though, you should have to update the school as to the status of classes being taken (like if they are dropped after submition and verification of your AACOMAS) and they will make their decision based on the new information.

But for those accepted---were they conditional on completion of the courses you listed as planned or unconditional?

When you get an acceptance letter they tell you on there what terms your acceptance is based on. For me it was just official transcripts but for some it was another LOR, graduation from your undergrad, etc.

Mine said something along the lines of completing my degree and submitting transcripts.

Sounds like a situation not many people would have been in so it may be hard to give you a concrete answer. Probably best to call the school and ask them.

I think in a situation like that though, you should have to update the school as to the status of classes being taken (like if they are dropped after submition and verification of your AACOMAS) and they will make their decision based on the new information.

When you get an acceptance letter they tell you on there what terms your acceptance is based on. For me it was just official transcripts but for some it was another LOR, graduation from your undergrad, etc.

Got it---thanks guys.

Retaking Biochem and listing it as planned for January of 2014. Will take it if needed--but I'm hoping I can get an unconditional acceptance before then. Going back to undergrad after grad school is no fun.

I remember some vague memory of scrolling through the match 2013 thread and seeinga post that NSU's list would not be out until late April/early May. Extremely unconfirmed information however.