Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What is consulting advice? Serious.

In retrospect it was poor words--my error.

Some schools will meet with you and run over your application with you if you request it and help you identify weaknesses and offer tips to improve your chances with that school specifically. In my home state, I've met with two schools and one for example recommended retaking a course--while another said not to and to just take another upper level.

Many schools don't do this--so I'm curious if NOVA does. As it's my top DO pick, wanna see what they would suggest specifically for improving my chances with them.

Members don't see this ad.

In retrospect it was poor words--my error.

Some schools will meet with you and run over your application with you if you request it and help you identify weaknesses and offer tips to improve your chances with that school specifically. In my home state, I've met with two schools and one for example recommended retaking a course--while another said not to and to just take another upper level.

Many schools don't do this--so I'm curious if NOVA does. As it's my top DO pick, wanna see what they would suggest specifically for improving my chances with them.

Will PM you an email you can try.

Any news for waitlisted applicants? I'm guessing April is when things will start getting busy as far as movement because of deadlines from other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any news for waitlisted applicants? I'm guessing April is when things will start getting busy as far as movement because of deadlines from other schools.

Nothing yet but hopefully soon....... :xf:

Here's some interesting posts from last year's Nova thread:

Hello fellow Alternate Candidates! So, I did a little detective work on last year's thread and took notes on a small sample of applicants. I recorded their wait list date (if available) and their acceptance date. I also added some of the various intermittent emails received while on the alternate list. Feel free to edit- I just wanted to give everyone some sort of basis of what happened/when it happened last year.

4/08- People that had been waiting like us from Jan/Feb/Mar start finding out about acceptances/alternate. I think most were placed in the alternate candidates pool.

anewheartx3- wait listed mid-April; Accepted about 4 days later

globally- wait listed 4/08; Accepted week of 4/29

21p- wait listed 4/08; correspondence requested on cont’d interest 4/12; email and call for updated transcript 4/27; Accepted 5/10

brasilia- wait listed ? (I: 2/24); Accepted 5/31

Tam705618- wait listed 4/08; correspondence requested on cont’d interest 4/12; Accepted 6/01 (sent LOI a few days prior)

Daisy777- wait listed ?; Accepted 6/09

meggiestarr- wait listed 4/08; correspondence requested on cont’d interest 4/12; Accepted 6/23

VillND123- wait listed ?; Accepted 6/23

et129- wait listed ?; Accepted 6/23

Run262- wait listed ?; asked if wanted to remain on waitlist 4/14; email and call for updated transcript about a month before 4/27; Accepted 6/28

I've heard from an advisor that the most movement from the wait list is between May 15th and June 15th and then it slows down, but people still get pulled off all the way up until the first day. Hope this puts some people's nerves at ease.

Does anyone know when we have to be moved to Ft. Lauderdale is? as in when does orientation begin?

Supposedly classes will begin sometime in the first week of August including orientation, and White Coat ceremony after that first week. However nothing is definite until official announcements come out, possibly sometime in May or during the summer.

Nope - did u hear anything yet? I think we're in the waiting period as far as that is concerned. Might now hear til May at the earliest.

May 15 is supposedly the single commit date. It's the date that applicants can only hold onto one acceptance. After they commit, that's when there should be a bit of shuffling.

Members don't see this ad :)
Add me to the alternate list. Got the letter dated April 3rd.

The scheduler has been closed for quite some time. I think the above poster interviewed in March sometime and just didn't post on SDN til now. 99% sure they're done interviewing.

Yeah I'm pretty sure they're done interviewing. I haven't seen any previrgins walking around with any of my classmates in a while, which stinks for me because that means they don't have those delicious crackers in the interview waiting area.

No they're done. I was apart of the last group to interview on March 21st

Yeah I'm pretty sure they're done interviewing. I haven't seen any previrgins walking around with any of my classmates in a while, which stinks for me because that means they don't have those delicious crackers in the interview waiting area.

Haha! An opportunist I see. I would do the same thing. They were delicious.

Add me as an alternate as well. How many of us alternates are there?

A lot - I guess at least 50 based off the number I've seen here post and keeping in mind that there must be others who don't post on SDN.

Add me to the alternate list as well. (letter in the mail)

Interviewed on March 21st

Did anybody from the March interviews receive an acceptance?

Well, idk anything about acceptances but you can also add me to the never-ending waitlist.

Does being on the wait list since mid October bode well or worse for me since it's been so long since I've been on campus? I feel as though most of the people accepted off of the wait list in that post from last year were wait listed in Feb or later and accepted. I've been in relatively frequent correspondence (I.e. sending every meaningful update and LOR I can manage) and I'm just worried I've been forgotten about. Anyone have a clue about this situation?

As far as I know, they pull from the waitlist at random when the time comes for waitlist movement. Heard that somewhere on here. Can confirm with admissions to make sure if you'd like. Hope all you guys make it off!

They say it's random but I feel like there must be some reason behind their choices, not just reach in the pile and pluck somebody.

They say it's random but I feel like there must be some reason behind their choices, not just reach in the pile and pluck somebody.

I agree and somewhat feel the same way. Wish admissions process was a little more transparent :/

I think the veil allows them to make concessions that they might not be able to afford otherwise. Take worldchangers case for instance.

Did anyone else get that email from Anastasia about the Class of 2017 being full?
They said they "are not at this time selecting alternates to fill the class and do not have a ranking system. When the committee starts selecting alternates from the pool [they] will notify [us] of that movement."

Le sigh :(
Did anyone get off the alternate list here?

Yep, got that email about 20 minutes ago. Just confirmed everything I assumed. We'll see what type of movement (if any) happens in May.

Good luck!

Just for the record: I just received an e-mail from NSU stating that the 2017 class is currently full and they are asking whether or not I would like to stay on the alternate list.

Did anyone else get that email from Anastasia about the Class of 2017 being full?
They said they "are not at this time selecting alternates to fill the class and do not have a ranking system. When the committee starts selecting alternates from the pool [they] will notify [us] of that movement."

Le sigh :(
Did anyone get off the alternate list here?

Got the same email. No apparent movement yet. So I'm retaking the MCAT on Saturday. Pray for me!

Hi, I got the same email. Waiting is one of the hardest things I've ever done.

In the email she said that most people don't withdraw until July! So, based on that, the majority of us won't hear until....July, right?

Yeah, I know last year someone didn't get called off until a few days before classes started...

417793_628549740492575_1718764575_n.jpg

Hear Ye, Hear Ye!

So we all know that NSU-COM is the best DO school in the world. In light of last week's National Osteopathic Medicine awareness campaign, the AOA has set up a photo contest. For those that have met our Dean Silvagni, you already know how awesome he is. For those who haven't had the pleasure, suffice to say that he really is that awesome! The winner is decided by the school whose photo receives the most number of LIKES. Winner gets recognition as #1 and a $500 prize.

Incoming M1s your first assignment as a Shark is pretty simple: Follow the link and like our NSU-COM picture for the National Osteopathic Medicine Week photo contest. NSU-COM puts on one hell of a welcoming party at a local venue, so this $500 prize would make your transition a breeze with fun and celebration as you commence your life-long dream of becoming a physician! Share with your friends and family to help NSU-COM climb to the top! I think Touro-NV is ahead of us currently, so we need to show them who runs this joint! :cool: I BELIEVE WE HAVE TIL 5 PM TOMORROW, FRIDAY APRIL 26th SO LIKE AND SHARE QUICKLY!!

Alternates and Prospective applicants: NSU-COM would greatly appreciate your :thumbup: on our NOM Week photo as well! Thanks for your contribution and good luck!

LINK: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...329.1073741826.168212096526344&type=3&theater

THANK YOU!

923243_628549627159253_1986388059_n.jpg

I would post a similar link for COMP-NW here but that would be in bad taste on another schools thread. May the best school win!

I would post a similar link for COMP-NW here but that would be in bad taste on another schools thread. May the best school win!

Lol Dude we appreciate your vote too! Don't worry I won't tell anyone.

Can anyone tell me nsu accepts employer letters of rec. I know they require 2 science and a non science. So far I only have letters from a family practice md, 2 science, and my employer- will this be okay?

people who are wait-listed and are still hoping to get into nova, and still checking this thread regularly...

are you there?

Ha yes the new version of SDN sends updates to my phone

Haha same! Glad I'm not the only one that gets these updates.. My bf thinks I'm too obsessed just because I have this app.

But don't worry, we're still here... Waiting...