NYU vs Vanderbilt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mon555

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm so torn between these two schools and I'm having a hard time trying to decide between them. Both of them gave me around the same financial aid (so money isn't an issue) and location doesn't matter too much. Can you guys help me compare the two?

Here are some things I'm considering to evaluate...

-Vandy has a 1 year pre-clinical curriculum vs NYU's 1.5 years, so maybe an extra half a year is significantly helpful?

-I'm thinking about going into a surgical field (cardio or neuro) - which is better for that?

-Research Research Research is important

-NYU seems to have better hospitals over Vandy (like Bellavue)

-NYU seems to be on the rise/ will it continue getting better/ be even more of a phenomenal medical center soon place soon??

-I hate including it, but overall reputation is also good to hear about (although I absolutely know both are amazing)

Please let me know your thoughts about how I should go about choosing the best school for me!!!

Members don't see this ad.

In terms of all of the factors you listed, I would say these are basically equivalent schools. Both have plenty of research and neither will stop you from specializing in anything.

I do want to point out that even if tuition cost is equal, the difference in cost of living in NYC vs. Nashville is pretty extreme.

Reactions: 1 user
Can't speak to the academics, but echoing the other point cost of living is a GIGANTIC difference between these two cities. I don't think Vanderbilt will prevent you from major opportunities or vice versa. Both schools have excellent reputations so really if you view all things equal cost over your fours years should be greatly minimized in Nashville as opposed to New York

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally dislike New York and Vanderbilt is an excellent school. I vote Vandy.

Reactions: 1 users
This is easy:

NY pizza and deli food vs barbeque???

I'm so torn between these two schools and I'm having a hard time trying to decide between them. Both of them gave me around the same financial aid (so money isn't an issue) and location doesn't matter too much. Can you guys help me compare the two?

-Vandy has a 1 year pre-clinical curriculum vs NYU's 1.5 years, so maybe an extra half a year is significantly helpful?

-I'm thinking about going into a surgical field (cardio or neuro) - which is better for that?

-NYU seems to be on the rise/ will it continue getting better/ be even more of a phenomenal medical center soon place soon??

-I hate including it, but overall reputation is also good to hear about (although I absolutely know both are amazing)

Please let me know your thoughts about how I should go about choosing the best school for me!!!

Nashville is an awesome city.

New York the best place in ""murica"" to live.. . Also we got the best pizza rats

Last edited:
vandy! cost + location + reputation....nyc is nice for a wknd lol then the rats and chaos get annoying...def an exhausting place to live as a student...and it's not clean and it's crazy expensive. I think you'll have an overall better quality of life and experience in nashville as a med student.

Last edited:
Personally I think Nashville is one of the best cities to live in in the country. Several of my friends and family have lived there and said it was one of the best decisions they've ever made. It's definitely a southern place though, so if youre not really a fan of southern stuff (unhealthy but delicious food, country music, friendly but not the most "fast paced" people, etc) then it may not be that great.

I'd imagine vandy has a bigger research presence than NYU, but I don't know much about NYU research tbh.

tumblr_nqxexloObr1rubttio1_400.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Vandy. Doesn't get much better than BBQ, southern food, and country music concerts (social drinking parties with loud music, big hats, and minimal clothing).

Don't forget hot chicken!

No joke I would eat Hattie B's hot chicken every frickin day if I ended up in Nashville.

My vote goes to VANDY! Nashville is such a relaxed and homey city. For me at least, it would be a much better learning environment.

I can't see how you can say that location makes no difference. Big city vs small city. Cold and snowy vs hot and muggy. Dorm vs townhouse. Metropolitan Opera vs Grand Ole Opry. Central Park vs Centennial Park.

It seems that the culture of the two places is the biggest difference. Where will you be the best fit?

Reactions: 3 users
In all fairness, NYC is hot and muggy in the summer too!

I can't see how you can say that location makes no difference. Big city vs small city. Cold and snowy vs hot and muggy. Dorm vs townhouse. Metropolitan Opera vs Grand Ole Opry. Central Park vs Centennial Park.

It seems that the culture of the two places is the biggest difference. Where will you be the best fit?

1 year? 2 years condensed into 1? damn

In all fairness, NYC is hot and muggy in the summer too!
As well I know... it was 101 (a record) the day I moved there. On the other hand, summer lasts just 10 weeks if you are lucky.

Then again, Nashville gets a good 7-8" of snow one winter out of 10.

I'm from Nashville, it's one of my favorite cities and I think it's an incredible place to live and go to school. On top of that Vandy is an incredible school and environment to learn, you'll definitely get all the zebras and interesting cases in that region of the country and you'll be taught by world class faculty. That being said, the patient population is not super interesting. Several friends and family working there suggest it has a pretty homogenous patient population.

I'm in NYC for school and our patient population diversity is pretty outstanding. but again, nashville and vandy....

Did you like nashville? If yes then go there. NYC housing prices are insane

Research: Vandy >>> NYU

Clinical: Vandy >> NYU*

*the premeds will chime in with typical "but but...Bellevue!! But they don't understand that Vandy is a quaternary referral hospital with a HUGE cachement area (basically everything to the east of St Louis, all of TN, most of northern Alabama, GA north of Atlanta, Kentucky south of Louisville), and Vanderbilt has strong relations with community hospitals in the area.

The only question is the cities. IMHO Vanderbilt is the fastest growing city in the country right now and anyone who dismisses it as being "in the South" just hasn't had any real experience there. It has culture, food, activities. It's not Manhattan...nothing else is...but it's an awesome place to live and despite no prior direct connections there it is on my short list of places I want to end up.

I also think reputation of Vandy >> NYU for medical school. I think vandy will open doors for residency all over the country, and that you won't experience much regional bias.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

It depends largely on which location you prefer for 4 years. Personally, I would go to Vandy. During medical school, when you are presumably making no income, Nashville would provide a better quality of life. As far as reputation goes, both are great but Vandy is extremely highly respected in the medical community. Taken from USNEWS:

Vanderbilt
Peer assessment score: 4.2
Residency directors assessment score: 4.3

NYU
Peer assessment score: 3.7
Residency directors assessment score: 3.8

Also, I would kill for a 1-year preclinical curriculum like Duke. I hear students can essentially take a research year, greatly bolstering residency applications, while finishing in 4 years at Duke (maybe the same for Vandy).

Best of luck!

Last edited:
I also think reputation of Vandy >> NYU for medical school. I think vandy will open doors for residency all over the country, and that you won't experience much regional bias.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Every classmate of mine who stated a regional preference (usually NYC, SoCal or the Bay Area) matched into a residency in their desired location.

Location, atmosphere, and the student vibe is a bigger factor than any other academic consideration in this case. Were you able to attend their 2nd look weekends? Do you think you'll mesh well with the students who were at each of them?

Research: Vandy >>> NYU

Clinical: Vandy >> NYU*

*the premeds will chime in with typical "but but...Bellevue!! But they don't understand that Vandy is a quaternary referral hospital with a HUGE cachement area (basically everything to the east of St Louis, all of TN, most of northern Alabama, GA north of Atlanta, Kentucky south of Louisville), and Vanderbilt has strong relations with community hospitals in the area.

The only question is the cities. IMHO Vanderbilt is in the fastest growing city in the country right now and anyone who dismisses it as being "in the South" just hasn't had any real experience there. It has culture, food, activities. It's not Manhattan...nothing else is...but it's an awesome place to live and despite no prior direct connections there it is on my short list of places I want to end up.

Agree with everything here