**Official Class of 2021 Thread** !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can finally join this thread after THREE application cycles!! :rolleyes:

Heyyyyy Everyone!
Congrats!!! Hearing this makes me happy :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
DMU. It's a fantastic school but it's just too much money to hold my spot when I'm pretty much certain I won't attend.
I paid the 500 and I'm still waiting to hear back from two MD schools. $500 was a lot to pay for a spot I may not even be taking :(

Withdrew my app from my first acceptance today. Feels like saying goodbye to my first love.
It's a school I would not attend over my other acceptances, and there's a $500 tuition deposit due next week. Doesn't make sense to shell out that much money to hold on to the spot.
Is this a DO school?
DMU. It's a fantastic school but it's just too much money to hold my spot when I'm pretty much certain I won't attend.

yeah it's reasonable and perfectly fine to withdraw from DO acceptances that charge insanely high nonrefundable deposits, if you have MD acceptance(s) in hand

Reactions: 5 users
I paid the 500 and I'm still waiting to hear back from two MD schools. $500 was a lot to pay for a spot I may not even be taking :(
Oh that stinks man... Hopefully you hear some good news soon though!

Letting my first love go today too, just can't with the 1k deposit. I thought it'd be a lot easier to let it go but I keep stalling. Very bittersweet : ) :
We are here to support you friend!

Oh that stinks man... Hopefully you hear some good news soon though!
Thank you haha. Yeah my state schools don't start sending out decisions until January so the wait has been pretty terrible. Almost over though

Letting my first love go today too, just can't with the 1k deposit. I thought it'd be a lot easier to let it go but I keep stalling. Very bittersweet : ) :

Btw hi class of 2021. Has it sunk in yet or is anyone else like me with random moments of "omg this is actually happening" followed by complete panic?
I have been randomly throwing my fist up like this at random moments... zero f's given
2921560757_06406e5bf9-450x361.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Joining this thread. go class of 2021

Reactions: 7 users

Btw hi class of 2021. Has it sunk in yet or is anyone else like me with random moments of "omg this is actually happening" followed by complete panic?

Still not to panic mode yet.. I think that'll start happening when I pack up my stuff to move next fall. I think that's when I'll freak out.

Random but...So the entire med. school process seems to select for students who are hardworking, brilliant and unique. They really seem to want humble, empathetic students who really want to help others and have shown so in their actions like volunteering etc. So my question is, at what point do some students lose this because I have met some student doctors/doctors who are so arrogant and condescending and I think you certainly didn't get into medical school showing this side of you, so were they always like that or is this something you pick up in the med. school journey because I need to know how to stay all the way away from this. Thoughts?

I think they played the game and hid it well. I particularly know of people who try to demonstrate commitment to underserved but in all reality they can't relate and don't give two ****s about the poor, minorities, and immigrants.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Random but...So the entire med. school process seems to select for students who are hardworking, brilliant and unique. They really seem to want humble, empathetic students who really want to help others and have shown so in their actions like volunteering etc. So my question is, at what point do some students lose this because I have met some student doctors/doctors who are so arrogant and condescending and I think you certainly didn't get into medical school showing this side of you, so were they always like that or is this something you pick up in the med. school journey because I need to know how to stay all the way away from this. Thoughts?

Or this journey just kicks the living **** out of people

Reactions: 2 users
I work in the ER now and a lot of the doctors talk about how they've become jaded from all of the patients that are drug addicts, alcohol abusers, narcotic seekers, non complaint with medication and what ever else there is. But then they see one patient where they actually make a difference and that makes all of the other stuff they have to deal with worth it. But I'm sure there are plenty of people that can't handle it and get burnt out.

Multiple factors going on here.
1. Medicine allows you to help people, but you also see the dark side of humanity. You see the bad things people do to each other, their tendency towards ungratefulness, and many people's efforts to take advantage of those who seek to help. It can make you jaded if you let it.
2. Some of these people wanted to be doctors, but didn't necessarily have the humanistic motivations may of us expect. They were able to hide this throughout the process.
3. I think the process of medical admissions has changed. Schools seem to select for students who are friendly, good people with the soft social skills necessary to be likable more than they might have in the past, or at least this is the impression I've gotten with the experience I have. It's possible that the profession will change to reflect this culture change in the coming years.

Reactions: 1 users
Yup we're pretty ****-ing awesome.

I work in the ER now and a lot of the doctors talk about how they've become jaded from all of the patients that are drug addicts, alcohol abusers, narcotic seekers, non complaint with medication and what ever else there is. But then they see one patient where they actually make a difference and that makes all of the other stuff they have to deal with worth it. But I'm sure there are plenty of people that can't handle it and get burnt out.
It amazes me how well Scrubs was able to encapsulate this paradigm of physicians' professional and social lives.

Multiple factors going on here.
1. Medicine allows you to help people, but you also see the dark side of humanity. You see the bad things people do to each other, their tendency towards ungratefulness, and many people's efforts to take advantage of those who seek to help. It can make you jaded if you let it.
2. Some of these people wanted to be doctors, but didn't necessarily have the humanistic motivations may of us expect. They were able to hide this throughout the process.
3. I think the process of medical admissions has changed. Schools seem to select for students who are friendly, good people with the soft social skills necessary to be likable more than they might have in the past, or at least this is the impression I've gotten with the experience I have. It's possible that the profession will change to reflect this culture change in the coming years.

This. I think it's mostly due to the admissions process. It's gotten way more competitive and med schools have started looking for different things. Admissions and med school are different now than what they were even ten years ago, so the older doctors we meet nowadays have been through a different selection process.

Has it sunk in yet or is anyone else like me with random moments of "omg this is actually happening" followed by complete panic?
Every time a med student tells me "oh I spend about 12 hours studying on weekdays" I think "I'm. SO. Screwed"

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for replying guys. When I first started the cycle, my mother asked if our interviewers would be people who can read people like psychologists because as she said, what is to stop someone from BSing in their interview just to get in and I laughed at the time, but I guess a bit of it really is a game some of us learn to play.
I've always gotten a psychiatrist interview... I'm like I know I've been through stuff but why do I have to be psychoanalyzed?

I've always gotten a psychiatrist interview... I'm like I know I've been through stuff but why do I have to be psychoanalyzed?

Lmao that's interesting. I always get a pathologist and I have an expressed interest and experience in psychiatry (and also been through some stuff lol). I'm jelly!

I was interviewed by two psychiatrists, and I'm 100% positive they were reading my mind.

Reactions: 2 users
I was interviewed by two psychiatrists, and I'm 100% positive they were reading my mind.
Yo I'm not going to lie... I was like they know I'm full of ish... lol the whole time I'm like why do they ask me questions that I've asked myself a million times . one of the psych asked me if my SO knew how hard this process is... My SO doesn't really get it... she's complained about app fees, interview trips etc... I'm terrible at explaining things sometimes so it's not all her... my answer to the psych was " yeah at first she wasn't on board but now she's my greatest supporter..." the whole time I was answering I'm like, she knows I'm making this up as I go....

I paid the 2 k touro tax earlier in the cycle.

LOL also i love your avatar. what a great movie that was.
Yes it was great! It was so good... it's good to watch sci-fi that isn't all about everyone getting killed by aliens

I feel this post on a spiritual level. Getting into med school cost me a 5 year relationship but I am choosing to still count it as a win.
Yes... I hate to get so real on a forum but this process is tough and sometimes I wonder if we will make it... Honestly, as future med students, we are so good at delaying gratification because we have this vision that keeps us going. We all hope to have the privilege to be the next generation of great healers that will make the world a better place. Sometimes SOs don't get how long and hard this process usually is. But hey, there's a way to make it all work.

EDIT: just speaking statistically, med school has the way of preying on relationships.

Last edited:
A day at a time. It's not their dream so it makes sense they don't get it. Hurt like hell especially since he refused to take the ring back so I still have it but this is something I need to do. Try to explain as much as you can and as patiently, if you have a relationship worth it, try hard :)
Im sorry to hear that. Sometimes it's hard for people to truly take a supportive role, especially if they don't "see" it.

I paid the 2 k touro tax earlier in the cycle.
I dodged that bullet, but when I emailed a DO school that accepted me that I was withdrawing (not paying the deposit), they turned around and emailed me to say I was rejected for failing to submit my deposit on time. Which is due next weekish... haha oh well.

Reactions: 6 users
how many others here check their portals at the schools they've been accepted to like every day? I think I may have a problem....
LOL! I did this everyday for the first week after finding out just to make sure my acceptance wasn't a mistake.

Reactions: 1 users
I dodged that bullet, but when I emailed a DO school that accepted me that I was withdrawing (not paying the deposit), they turned around and emailed me to say I was rejected for failing to submit my deposit on time. Which is due next weekish... haha oh well.
What a vindictive bunch. Which school was this?

"You can't fire me, I quit!!"

I feel this post on a spiritual level. Getting into med school cost me a 5 year relationship but I am choosing to still count it as a win.
:(Trying to get into medical school costed me two great relationships.

:(Trying to get into medical school costed me two great relationships.

Condolences guys.

Cost me a marriage. Do I win?

Just want to add I think it's a different beast in general for a woman pursuing medicine with a SO that doesn't understand more so than the other way around.

Reactions: 7 users
going to an interview while you've already been accepted is one of the best feelings.

Look at me, I'm the captain now.

Reactions: 26 users

That school was made with the ingredients below
15355686_1273191846122252_3550580196419998266_n.jpg

Reactions: 13 users
I have all the seasons (I think, is Stars, the last one?) on VHS/DVD with subs. I don't have crunchyroll though.

They did a whole new season of Sailor Moon. Japan redone the whole show. It is so much better. You can watch all the seasons and episodes online on Crunchy roll.com. It is called Sailor Moon Crystal.

They did a whole new season of Sailor Moon. Japan redone the whole show. It is so much better. You can watch all the seasons and episodes online on Crunchy roll.com. It is called Sailor Moon Crystal.
Oh shoot. Well I know how I'm spending my summer