*~*~* Official Class of 2023 Thread *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UCSD’s autobio one is a good one to start with imo. I’ve been working on it because different parts of it can work as templates for other common questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Having only one transcript that has already been verified, when do you guys think is the latest I can submit to AAMC to be verified and sent out with the first bunch of apps? I'm still working on my personal statement, but everything else is about finished.

UCSD’s autobio one is a good one to start with imo. I’ve been working on it because different parts of it can work as templates for other common questions.
I'm only a quarter of the way through it. I did it last because it was so long. It's easy to write an autobiography when you are 22 and basically have only been a student. Not so easy when you're 34 with an extremely non-trad path.

Members don't see this ad :)
Having only one transcript that has already been verified, when do you guys think is the latest I can submit to AAMC to be verified and sent out with the first bunch of apps? I'm still working on my personal statement, but everything else is about finished.

Your transcript isn’t verified until after you submit your app. Then having received it is not the same is it being verified.

There are still people who submitted day one waiting to be verified. If it’s anything like last year, June 8-10th submissions will probably be the last to be verified before transmission is underway at the end of the month.

That said, it is not essential to be in the first batch transmitted to be early....if you’re transmitted to schools before August you are plenty early; as gonnif says, early apps don’t get into medical school, good apps do.

Reactions: 1 user
I prewrote a lot of my secondaries already by looking at the 2017-2018 school specific threads, where the secondary prompts are (usually) on the first post. Some of them may change slightly, but at least I have most of them done (except for the autobiography UCSD wants--lawd).

I think Vanderbilt also asks for an autobiography so if you're applying there you can knock out two in one lol

I keep forgetting you're only applying to like 5 or 6 schools lol. That must make secondary writing a lot easier.

It does. I’m almost done already. But I still have almost all of UCSD’s to do. And I ended up doing an extra one because I didn’t realize my dad lived so far from one school but like 5 mins from another one.

Alright, I've got my first problem of the cycle (other than the massive amount of secondary writing I have to do).

Just found out from Interfolio that a letter writer of mine signed a letter by simply changing the font. I doubt adcoms will expect her to have experience writing letters as she's not a physician or professor but a professional contact.

Do you guys think I need to bother her and have her fix this or is it not a big deal?

It does. I’m almost done already. But I still have almost all of UCSD’s to do. And I ended up doing an extra one because I didn’t realize my dad lived so far from one school but like 5 mins from another one.

Well as of now I've got 17 to write (6 of mine I'm applying to don't have secomdaries according to previous years and 2 schools I'm applying to are just different campus with same secondaries). Luckily so many of them ask for the same thing.

Well as of now I've got 17 to write (6 of mine I'm applying to don't have secomdaries according to previous years and 2 schools I'm applying to are just different campus with same secondaries). Luckily so many of them ask for the same thing.

That’s crazy. Good luck to you lol.

Edit: I’m glad I don’t have that many to write because I’m still studying for the MCAT, which I take in (holy ****) 23 days.

Alright, I've got my first problem of the cycle (other than the massive amount of secondary writing I have to do).

Just found out from Interfolio that a letter writer of mine signed a letter by simply changing the font. I doubt adcoms will expect her to have experience writing letters as she's not a physician or professor but a professional contact.

Do you guys think I need to bother her and have her fix this or is it not a big deal?

Have her sign it properly and resubmit. It’s important, your app might be delayed otherwise

Members don't see this ad :)
That’s crazy. Good luck to you lol.

Edit: I’m glad I don’t have that many to write because I’m still studying for the MCAT, which I take in (holy ****) 23 days.

Good luck! I feel like you're going to kill it.

Am I the only one who feels like I should be doing something? My app is verified but won’t be transmitted for 3 weeks. I have the MCAT on June 30, so I’m studying for that, but I feel like my app is going to expire or something lol.

Am I the only one who feels like I should be doing something? My app is verified but won’t be transmitted for 3 weeks. I have the MCAT on June 30, so I’m studying for that, but I feel like my app is going to expire or something lol.
You applied w/o an MCAT? Is it because you know where you're applying anyway? ( Looking at your sig, it looks like you didn't do the " throw away verification " thing)
Also, I wouldn't call MCAT prep doing nothing hahahah

I’m taking summer classes, studying for my mcat retake ~40 hrs a week, working 20 hours a week, haven’t submitted apps yet, getting ready to shadow a DO, and STILL feel like I’m doing “nothing”. We’re neurotic, it probably won’t change anytime soon.

You applied w/o an MCAT? Is it because you know where you're applying anyway? ( Looking at your sig, it looks like you didn't do the " throw away verification " thing)
Also, I wouldn't call MCAT prep doing nothing hahahah

Yeah, the program I’m in is kind of unique, and we are required to apply to USUHS since that’s what school our program is through lol. They recommended we apply to a few civilian schools to keep our options open, so I applied to 5 schools over a range of competitiveness. My FL scores have been pretty good so far, so I think I applied well.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m taking summer classes, studying for my mcat retake ~40 hrs a week, working 20 hours a week, haven’t submitted apps yet, getting ready to shadow a DO, and STILL feel like I’m doing “nothing”. We’re neurotic, it probably won’t change anytime soon.

Yeah, I’m taking ochem 1 and 2 and studying for the MCAT, so I’m definitely not doing nothing. I meant specifically wrt the application.

You had to work and do MCAT prep? Is this a summer job? Or a job that you have year round? That's a really unfortunate situation to be in >_< I'm sorry.
Are you applying DO and MD?

Yeah, I’m taking ochem 1 and 2 and studying for the MCAT, so I’m definitely not doing nothing. I meant specifically wrt the application.

I thought you already did orgo? ( When I was talking about my ACS final for Orgo II , shortly after you said you were taking orgo and studying for the final as well).

You had to work and do MCAT prep? Is this a summer job? Or a job that you have year round? That's a really unfortunate situation to be in >_< I'm sorry.

I thought you already did orgo? ( When I was talking about my ACS final for Orgo II , shortly after you said you were taking orgo and studying for the final as well).

No, I was studying for chem 2 acs final. We had gen Chem 1 and 2 in the fall and spring (along with the rest of our classes obv), and now we have ochem 1/2 in the summer.

This might not be the right place for this, but I've been advised not to submit my app until I have a grade from my summer class that ends on the 22nd. Does anyone know about when I would be verified if I submit on say June 24th?

This might not be the right place for this, but I've been advised not to submit my app until I have a grade from my summer class that ends on the 22nd. Does anyone know about when I would be verified if I submit on say June 24th?

I think the longest wait last year was like 3 weeks, so you'd still get transmitted in July, which would be totally fine.

Well, I finally put on my big girl panties and hit the submit button.

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Reactions: 4 users
I think the longest wait last year was like 3 weeks, so you'd still get transmitted in July, which would be totally fine.

What? My advisor said if we submit end of June it would take 4 weeks minimum or even 6 weeks...is that not true?

What? My advisor said if we submit end of June it would take 4 weeks minimum or even 6 weeks...is that not true?
Probably not. It’s like 3 weeks, but obviously could take longer. Even at 6 weeks, you’d be verified and transmitted by the beginning of August, which is still not late if you get your secondaries turned around quickly.

It’s a GA position, so it’s year round. It’s not too bad actually...just gotta buckle down and get it all done.

And yes, I’m applying DO and MD, but only MD to a very small number of schools. My state MD school’s app cycle doesn’t really start until late Sept/early Oct, so I’m not submitting until my summer grades are in. Retaking the MCAT 8/4, but I have a 501 previous, so I’m submitting to one throwaway and adding schools later.

And yes, I’m applying DO and MD, but only MD to a very small number of schools. My state MD school’s app cycle doesn’t really start until late Sept/early Oct, so I’m not submitting until my summer grades are in. Retaking the MCAT 8/4, but I have a 501 previous, so I’m submitting to one throwaway and adding schools later.
Good luck on that retake!!! :D

What makes me kind of mad, in general, on this forum is the idea that <avg is not competitive. If you're above 25th+, you're competitive!!!

Good luck on that retake!!! :D

What makes me kind of mad, in general, on this forum is the idea that <avg is not competitive. If you're above 25th+, you're competitive!!!

I mean yeah, I guess. But just because you're within the broad competitive range doesn't mean you have a good shot. The further you get to the left of the median, the more you need other factors to give you a boost. The median this cycle was a 510. So being average (i.e., a 500) isn't really competitive (for MD, anyway).

Good luck! Was that 501 within your FL range?

Reactions: 1 users
It was...I had been scoring in the 500-505 range at that time, but I stupidly took it without completing content. I’m taking a smarter approach this time.

I mean yeah, I guess. But just because you're within the broad competitive range doesn't mean you have a good shot. The further you get to the left of the median, the more you need other factors to give you a boost. The median this cycle was a 510. So being average (i.e., a 500) isn't really competitive (for MD, anyway).
It's still worth the app, I mean. Yeah don't get your hopes up if you're barely at the 25th, but it's worth the app to those places. Also, lower GPA higher MCAt and vice versa is the best factor to compensate. NTM, if you have a GPA within range , and even one excellent year can tip the scales in your favor.

It's still worth the app, I mean. Yeah don't get your hopes up if you're barely at the 25th, but it's worth the app to those places. Also, lower GPA higher MCAt and vice versa is the best factor to compensate. NTM, if you have a GPA within range , and even one excellent year can tip the scales in your favor.

I guess. It's not just numbers, but I get what you're saying. I just don't want to spend money applying to a school I have very little hope of getting accepted to.

Good. I mean, a 501 is okay for DO, but I'm guessing you'd prefer MD if you can get it.
I prefer DO actually. I’m retaking because I had one lower sub score (C/P 124), and to try and compensate for a lower uGPA. My gGPA is going to be 3.7 at 19 hours though, so hopefully that and a decent MCAT means I have less to stress about this cycle.

I guess. It's not just numbers, but I get what you're saying. I just don't want to spend money applying to a school I have very little hope of getting accepted to.
What do you define as very little hope though? Like if a 25th MCAT is 512 , median 518 , and you have a 515, is that a low chance?
Edit: Also, if a median is a 3.6 and you have a 3.5 that's not "low", you know?

What do you define as very little hope though? Like if a 25th MCAT is 512 , median 518 , and you have a 515, is that a low chance?
Edit: Also, if a median is a 3.6 and you have a 3.5 that's not "low", you know?
If the median for a school is 3.6, it's not likely that 25th %ile is a 3.5.

Although, I guess I didn't really follow my own logic. I applied to JHU when my GPA is below the 10 %ile lol. But I wanted to apply to one no ****ing way school just to see what would happen. The rest of my schools, I'm within the interquartile for GPA, and my FL MCAT range has been solidly either in that range or above the 75 %ile.

If the median for a school is 3.6, it's not likely that 25th %ile is a 3.5.

Although, I guess I didn't really follow my own logic. I applied to JHU when my GPA is below the 10 %ile lol. But I wanted to apply to one no ****ing way school just to see what would happen. The rest of my schools, I'm within the interquartile for GPA, and my FL MCAT range has been solidly either in that range or above the 75 %ile.
--> Right, sorry I just meant that people go so far as to say that a .1 difference is big and it makes me very mad. That wouldn't be the 25th at a 3.6 median school. A .1 difference doesn't need an insane thing to compensate, it's close enough.

--> Also, within interqaurtile is between 25th-75th, isn't it ( or am I misunderstanding)? So we're on the same page. Just closer to 50th and farther from 25th was what you were saying to err towards. But even just one great year can tip the scales in your favor , even if you're below the tenth! ( since your MCAT is going to be awesome ;) )

Last edited:
--> Right, sorry I just meant that people go so far as to say that a .1 difference is big and it makes me very mad. That wouldn't be the 25th at a 3.6 median school. A .1 difference doesn't need an insane thing to compensate, it's close enough.

--> Also, within interqaurtile is between 25th-75th, isn't it ( or am I misunderstanding)? So we're on the same page. Just closer to 50th and farther from 25th was what you were saying to err towards. But even just one great year can tip the scales in your favor , even if you're below the tenth! ( since your MCAT is going to be awesome ;) )

Yeah that’s interquartile range. I’m just saying if you’re barely within it for MCAT and gpa, your chances probably aren’t awesome unless you have something else compelling. But you can’t hit the ball if you don’t swing.

My app was verified 5/31, but my committee letters wont be in til 6/15, they will be marked as received by 6/29, right? so annoyed that I don't have control over when my letters will be in

My app was verified 5/31, but my committee letters wont be in til 6/15, they will be marked as received by 6/29, right? so annoyed that I don't have control over when my letters will be in
Haha trust me your fine. They will be ready to be sent out by the 29th, but even if they weren't you don't need them in as part of your primary. Consider yourself fortunate, my school's letters won't be done until august.

You don't need your letters until your secondaries. As the piggy said, you're all good.