SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

**Official Maryland Class of 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread**

Discussion in 'School Specific Discussions' started by cjddds, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Zippojake

Zippojake

Jul 14, 2017
    And I don’t think it means anything. This whole process has been interesting and strange. I had a school call me right before 12/1 to see if I had any questions and could they help me with anything. It sounded real positive but when 12/1 rolled around they denied me. I thought that was pretty rude, especially when they knew who was in by then. . So I don’t get excited one way or the other regardless until I actually hear from the school saying yes or now...we all stand a chance until the end. Good luck

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. futuresodark

futuresodark

Jan 13, 2017
    Damn so they actually denied you on December 1st? Thats rough.. especially after calling you. Yeah I saw that last year they did something similar, and wasn't sure if everyone who got that email were accepted. Thank you though. Good luck!

Zippojake likes this.
  4. Zippojake

Zippojake

Jul 14, 2017
    Yea I couldn't believe they would do that. They knew at that point I wasn't accepted so why put us through that. We go through enough stress and it would be nice if the schools were a little more considerate . Not everyone got calls from this school, so we were thinking that this was a prelude to the next step of acceptance... boy were some of us wrong. So at this point I just wait to hear yea or nay and don't pay attention to anything else, LOL helps keep me sane.

5. Chipotle4Life

Chipotle4Life

Jun 9, 2017
    Tried to use my SSN and it said I wasn't recognized. I guess I'll just wait to hear from the school.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    umbtoothfairy likes this.
  6. P7898

P7898

May 14, 2017
    If it makes you feel any better I have had 4 interviews out of 6 and have heard nothing. I was an alternate for one of them.

7. drbaseball18

drbaseball18

Jan 7, 2018
    I have an interview on Wednesday and was just curious if anyone could provide insight as to what it was like? i.e questions they asked and the overall set up? Thanks!

8. umbtoothfairy

umbtoothfairy

Feb 19, 2016
    Under account balance

9. itsyaboi

itsyaboi

Jan 16, 2017
    Full disclosure: this post is copied and pasted from a thread I just posted on the main SDN pre-dental forum. I hope it's okay that I posted it here too; if not, just ignore this post. But I figure the people in this thread might be able to help.

My predicament is this: my deposit for Rutgers (my only acceptance thus far) is due on the 26th. It's 2500 dollars, non-refundable. My Maryland interview (my number one choice) is on the 24th. I feel that I have a reasonably good chance of getting into Maryland.

What do I do? I know the general advice given here is to put a deposit down on any school you get into and then simply forfeit the money if you get into your number-one choice. But sheesh, $2500 is a lot of money (regardless of opportunity cost, earning potential, etc). If I could save myself that money, it would be great. And in this situation, the only real problem is timing. If I had had just a bit more time to decide on the Rutgers deposit, there would be no problem at all.

My only thought is to contact Maryland and explain the situation, and ask for an earlier interview date so that I am more likely to know about my Maryland acceptance or rejection before I gamble my $2500. Any thoughts? Is that a bad move? Do I have any other options?

Of course I am grateful to have received an offer from anywhere, and of course I intend to attend Rutgers if I am rejected from Maryland. Rutgers is a great school, but the distance from home and the increased cost are big, big factors for me. Additionally, does anyone know how long it typically takes for dental schools to send admission offers after a post-Dec interview? Rutgers only took three days after my interview to send an offer.

Zippojake likes this.
  10. Zippojake

Zippojake

Jul 14, 2017
    WOW so close, thats a tough one. I put down a deposit on 12/30 and my Md interview isn't until later this month. I really want Md too but Im not much of a gambler . Would love to hear what others think and about calling the school.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  11. tommygunners

tommygunners

Jun 10, 2017
    Hi, I'm trying to set my UMID to a particular username but I only get a few choices (no search bar function). Is this just my browser/something not being enabled or do all people only get 4 choices for their UMID? thanks

12. jvdental

jvdental

Sep 18, 2017

Don’t lose hope. I had my interview Nov 28, and got accepted Dec 1. (So 3 days later) maybe you can get lucky too and they let you know soon enough.

13. Zippojake

Zippojake

Jul 14, 2017

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  14. umbtoothfairy

umbtoothfairy

Feb 19, 2016
    Your attempted name may be too long. I would call IT tomorrow if you are able to.

15. umbtoothfairy

umbtoothfairy

Feb 19, 2016
    1. Maryland generally meets on Thursday to review candidates. I cannot say if the 25th is a review day or not.

2. Don't call explaining this! Think of it like high school dating. Playing into stereotypes, but pretend you are a 16 year old girl. You go on a date with Party 1 and like them, but are way more excited to go out with Party 2. Party 1 asks you to prom. The last possible day you cancel on Party 1 is Friday the 26th. Your date with Party 2 is Wednesday the 24th. It would be wrong and impolite to call and explain the situation, expecting an earlier date because of THIS reason. Maybe you have a legit reason to move things up, just saying this should not be mentioned to either party involved.

3. Is the deposit due by check or online? If it is online, I would just wait until the 26th and pay it in that afternoon. You really should have a deposit down somewhere and honestly 2500 is so small in the scheme of things. If you are meant to hear back from Maryland before your deadline, you will likely hear before offices close for the weekend, ie 3-4 pm on Friday the 26th.

16. Valcandoit

Valcandoit 2+ Year Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Hi everyone! I have an interview for Maryland dental at the end of the month. For the students who interviewed already, how was it (format etc)? Also, how should I go on about preparing for this interview? Thank you everyone :)

17. WolfsBane

WolfsBane SDN Bronze Donor Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved

Jun 15, 2016

ENGAW and Valcandoit like this.
  18. Valcandoit

Aug 11, 2015
    thank you :). Quick 2 questions, did you get interviewed by the teacher AND student at the same time? Also, what kind of questions were asked?

Thank you again

19. WolfsBane

WolfsBane SDN Bronze Donor Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved

Jun 15, 2016
    I hope I dont sound harsh when I say this, but these questions have been asked and answered maybe 100 times already. Ill answer you, but please please just take a peak at the thread and you would find many answers to your questions. There were both a student and a teacher that did the interview. The questions were why dentistry, am I happy with my dat, positives and negatives of dentistry, I can't remember the rest, but we all were asked the same questions or variations of the same questions.

20. Valcandoit

Aug 11, 2015
    Trust me you don't sound harsh. Ill have a look at the previous posts for questions, thank you :)

WolfsBane likes this.
  21. P7898

P7898

May 14, 2017
    Does anyone know how much tuition is here for OOS? I have an interview coming up! Or maybe even how much the first year would be?

taeyeonlover likes this.
  22. futureortho11

futureortho11 2+ Year Member

Aug 17, 2015
    So I applied in September and got an email that my application had been processed on 9/26. I haven't heard anything since then and I just submitted my Academic Update last week.

Has anyone else not heard anything back yet? I haven't gotten an interview or a denial. Should I send them an email saying my updated transcript is on its way?

23. Blackca3

Blackca3

May 29, 2017
    Has anyone from the December 13th interview date heard back yet?

24. P7898

P7898

May 14, 2017
    Dropped my interview. Hopefully someone will get it!

25. Chipotle4Life

Chipotle4Life

Jun 9, 2017
    Yes!

26. Veni vidi vicii

Veni vidi vicii

Nov 1, 2017
    Did you call them to do that or e-mail them?

27. Veni vidi vicii

Veni vidi vicii

Nov 1, 2017
    Does anyone know when classes for this school start? What Month?

28. jvdental

jvdental

Sep 18, 2017
    I believe it is mid-late August

29. P7898

P7898

May 14, 2017
    I did both!

30. Chipotle4Life

Chipotle4Life

Jun 9, 2017
    I saw a helpful previous thread that answered these questions for former applicants but I was wondering whether the answers had changed for this year. @umbtoothfairy or another current student, would you mind answering them?

1. Name of Your Dental School

2. Your Year (if you're not comfortable answering that, have you taken Part I of the NBDE?)

3. What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week?

4. What is the hardest class? Why?

5. What is the easiest class? Why?

6. Are class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors?

7. Are traditional (paper) textbooks used or are they electronic? If electronic, do you prefer traditional textbooks?

8. What is the grading system? Pass/Fail/Honors? Letter Grades? Percentages?

9. Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out?

10. Is there a notetaking service for lecture available?

11. Is class attendance mandatory?

12. In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)?

13. What is the drop out rate?

14. Are there any resources to help students who are struggling?

15. What is the % first time board pass rate? What is the average score (if available)?

16. When do you take the NDBE Part 1?

17. Does the school offer classes/review sessions to prepare for Part 1?

18. Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes?

19. Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own?

20. Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in?

21. Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs?

22. What are the clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, etc...) Is it reasonably attainable or pretty difficult?

23. What types of opportunities do students have to explore different specialties?

24. Is there sufficent preparation for practice management? What career placement opportunites does your school offer?

25. What is the dress code at your school? Are there different scrub colors that change for D1, D2, D3, and D4?

26. Is there much camaraderie between students in the same class? Do students generally associate with each other outside of school?

27. What student organizations are most active?

28. What are your opinions on the location of the dental school? Is finding housing an issue? Is safety an issue?

29. What do you not like about your dental school?

30. Any last words or advice?

jvdental and taeyeonlover like this.
  31. umbtoothfairy

umbtoothfairy

Feb 19, 2016
    Will be answering a few questions each day. Aiming for at least 5 per day. Here are the first 5! Will post the next 5 shortly ;)

1. University of Maryland School of Dentistry

2. D4, Class of 2018

3. Exams vary from one year to the next. D1-D3: it is fair to expect a few weeks with several exams, especially in the first two years. Generally we start a new course as another is ending. Example: Gross anatomy exam adds to mid-March right before spring break, but neuroscience starts in early March and ends near the very end.
    Some courses just have a final; other courses have 5 midterms and 1 huge final. I honestly stopped truly counting exams after realizing we took 55 first year.
    Curriculum breakdown (energy/time breakdown)
    D1: 80% Didactic, 20% preclinic labs
    D2: 60% Didactic, 40% prelinic labs and clinical blocks (practice with classmates)
    D3: 60% Clinic, 40% Didactic
    D4: 90% Clinic, 6% externships, 4% major licensure exams and remaining competencies

4. Truly depends on the person: first year exams, gross anatomy, physiology, and general pathology are usually included in the top three for most students.

5. History of Dentistry. It is pass/fail. Maryland was the first dental college in the world and the National Museum of Dentistry is on campus. You just need to attend class and explore a pretty cool museum on the assigned date

jvdental and Chipotle4Life like this.
  32. umbtoothfairy

umbtoothfairy

Feb 19, 2016
    6. All lectures are recorded and can be rewatched. The available archives go back to the past 4 years. Students will rewatch on a higher speed to save time. Most notes are from powerpoints and faculty provided supplemental documents.

7. Faculty generally recommended or "require" physical textbooks. If you truly want them, you can borrow at the library or purchase used from upperclassmen. Most supplemental documents (and ebooks) are shared between classmates, on blackboard, or passed down from your big.

8. We are primarily graded by letter grades. Some courses are P/F/H: clerkships in D3/D4, certain classes each year.. very minimal amount

9. We are a Maryland Dental Family who overall helps each other out. Like family, sometimes we can hate certain members, but you will still help them out because they are family. Every class has a few gunners, but it is usually minimal and EVERYONE is on the same page about them: they are your awkward aunt who you keep distance

10. Classes will sometimes form their own notes groups. How they work: People join and make notes based on their assigned lectures and courses. Its pretty all or nothing and notes are to be shared only between group members. You usually have 24-48 hours to upload your notes to a shared drive.

11. Class is not mandatory. SOME classes are and it is noted on the syllabus. Most students do not attend 8 am classes if they are not mandatory and instead watch them later on. You better believe people scramble for seats when class is mandatory though because it is usually also part of your grade.

12. Clinical faculty is easier to get a hold of and approachable. The research faculty (courses like cell bio, immunology, etc where its a wide array of lecturers) are harder to reach outside of class, especially the older ones. The best time to ask questions is in person in lecture or after they finish.

13. To my knowledge, no one (or a single person) drops out per year of the 520+ students. Someone is more likely to repeat a year, eg my class lost one guy after D1 and he is now 2019. We gained more as a few D2s needed to repeat D2, returned from a personal leave of absence (medical reasons, had a child), or finished their Masters year.

14. The school admin deals with this on a case by case basis. Best resource, your classmates will uplift you in times of need. The counseling center is an option. Writing center for CV, resume, personal statements for residencies, etc.

15. The number of people who need to retake written boards is limited to less than a handful. Licensure is a bit different, but usually 95-100% pass CDCA by April in recent years, problems are often due to patients not showing up

16. After D1: Part 1 between early June to mid August. Its up to you to schedule. Part 2 between July and January. CDCA

17. D1 year is very hard and jam packed. ASDA holds lunch and learns in the spring with info on boards, licensure, etc. The president is the best person to contact. This year's is also with ADEA nationally and she is a wealth of knowledge on all the exams, updates to them, etc.

18. Part 1 you have THREE months of summer vacation to relax, study, take your exam, work, whatever. Part 2 you are balancing D4 year and its hardships in addition to studying. Again, everyone handles this and survives

jvdental and Chipotle4Life like this.
  33. drmic

drmic Young Doc

Aug 18, 2016
    Does anyone know when the next round of acceptances will be coming out? I interviewed the 10th and am trying to sit tight!

34. juustinkim

juustinkim ~kawaii~ Gold Donor Classifieds Approved

Feb 1, 2017
    California
    I interviewed on the 13th and haven’t heard.

Blackca3 likes this.
  35. Gummy_Bear11

Gummy_Bear11

Sep 3, 2017
    I was told by Dr. Morgan that we should be hearing back in late February or March. I interviewed on Jan. 17th btw.

Zippojake likes this.
  36. Zippojake

Zippojake

Jul 14, 2017
    Good because I interview with them in about a week so I don’t want them making decisions until they meet me!!!

37. Dlee3180

Dlee3180

Jan 13, 2017
    For those of you who already interviewed, how many interview questions did they ask?