**Official Maryland Class of 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
If yall look at the thread on pg 9, according to UMBtoothfairy, it seems only accepted students will get the account setup email (or be sent via mail). But idk o_O
Edit: just logged onto my account and it labels me as "student" under primary affiliation sooooo I wanna say I'm accepted...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
With about $55-60K/year in-state, should total about $220-240K (not including interests).

is that an estimate including all costs or just tuition and other school fees?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

is that an estimate including all costs or just tuition and other school fees?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
At the school they usually give you an estimate about $80K/year which includes room/boarding, insurance, etc which is a max they think you should borrow. So, you are right, my estimate is tuition and school fees only.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! Sorry if this question has been posted several times, but i just went through the entire thread in search for it...lol
Anyways, is there a page where students have talked about their interview experience at Maryland? I have an interview coming up and any advice would be really appreciated :)

Hi guys! Sorry if this question has been posted several times, but i just went through the entire thread in search for it...lol
Anyways, is there a page where students have talked about their interview experience at Maryland? I have an interview coming up and any advice would be really appreciated :)
It’s very laid back and easy to prepare for. The day included a presentation on the school, some financial info, a tour, and your interview. If you just look at the school page on SDN you’ll get a good idea of what questions will be asked. My best advice is to not stress and be confident in yourself. Practice answering the standard questions (why dentistry, strengths and weaknesses, etc) and you’ll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

I applied this year but I still have no sign of hope from them. I did not want to contact them as instructed in their email. Do you guys know if there is any chance of future interviews as of right now?

This is my third time applying. I got an interview the first time I applied and this cycle, I had a lot of improvements. I am starting to lose hope.

Thanks!

Hello,

I applied this year but I still have no sign of hope from them. I did not want to contact them as instructed in their email. Do you guys know if there is any chance of future interviews as of right now?

This is my third time applying. I got an interview the first time I applied and this cycle, I had a lot of improvements. I am starting to lose hope.

Thanks!

I was not shy about contacting them. I would say it shows that you're still interested in the program. Shoot them an email or call their office! When I called them they said interviews would be over by the end of February, so there's still some time left. Good luck!!!

I was not shy about contacting them. I would say it shows that you're still interested in the program. Shoot them an email or call their office! When I called them they said interviews would be over by the end of February, so there's still some time left. Good luck!!!
Thank you so much! Will do that tomorrow. :)

It’s very laid back and easy to prepare for. The day included a presentation on the school, some financial info, a tour, and your interview. If you just look at the school page on SDN you’ll get a good idea of what questions will be asked. My best advice is to not stress and be confident in yourself. Practice answering the standard questions (why dentistry, strengths and weaknesses, etc) and you’ll be fine.
Thank you for the information! :)

I have my interview tomorrow and it says it starts at 1130 but I can’t find what time it ends. For those that have gone through this, can you give me an idea so I can tell my ride when to pick me back up .thanks.

I have my interview tomorrow and it says it starts at 1130 but I can’t find what time it ends. For those that have gone through this, can you give me an idea so I can tell my ride when to pick me back up .thanks.
If you scroll down at the bottom of the email there’s a full breakdown of the day. It says it should end around 4-4.30

I had an interview December 5th, but still haven't heard back from them. Do you think it's a good idea to contact them? Not sure what to think bc it's been two months.

To anyone wondering about receiving a UMB account set up email, I emailed the admissions office yesterday and this is what they said:

"We apologize, several others received that email in error. All of our decision emails would come from either Dr. Porter or the DDS Admissions email address."

So don't get excited yet, because receiving this email doesn't mean acceptance!

Has anyone who interviewed in October heard back since December 1st? It seems like to me that the new batch of acceptances are all for recently interviewed candidates. I loved the school when I interviewed! What should I do???

Does anyone know when the committee meets? I thought I saw something that said on Thursday’s, but wasn’t sure if that was every Thursday. Just had my interview .

Does anyone know when the committee meets? I thought I saw something that said on Thursday’s, but wasn’t sure if that was every Thursday. Just had my interview .

They meet on certain Thursdays. I spoke with some people on adcoms and they said if you have not heard yet, you just weren't a top pick for acceptance. They categorize interviewees into categories eg waitlist, accept right away, late acceptance, decline (not the actual categories haha just examples). It is important to understand they try to select the top picks from the most recent interviews prior to going back into the earlier piles. Later in the cycle, its everyone together. I hope this helps clarify a little for people.

They meet on certain Thursdays. I spoke with some people on adcoms and they said if you have not heard yet, you just weren't a top pick for acceptance. They categorize interviewees into categories eg waitlist, accept right away, late acceptance, decline (not the actual categories haha just examples). It is important to understand they try to select the top picks from the most recent interviews prior to going back into the earlier piles. Later in the cycle, its everyone together. I hope this helps clarify a little for people.

Thank you for keeping us updated.

In other words, I just had my interview on 1/30 and if I don’t hear back right away then a very good chance I am declined?

In other words, I just had my interview on 1/30 and if I don’t hear back right away then a very good chance I am declined?
I think they accept in batches, not every week, but if don’t hear back next batch it would mean you wasn’t their top choice

Does anyone know when will be the next batch for acceptance?

I think they accept in batches, not every week, but if don’t hear back next batch it would mean you wasn’t their top choice

This!!!

You may get accepted in the much later rounds, waitlisted, denied. Just that you were not amongst the top x students that were selected in that batch. Think of it as if they rate you on how much you will fit into the school, class, clinic. They select a widely diverse class. Not everyone had a 25 DAT and 3.8 GPA. Sometimes those people get Bs and those with a 3.4 and 20 DAT end up in the top 10% of their class. So they then make a list and select the top 20 people. The remaining 70 people go into the large list again of all those interviewed.
When person 12 from batch C decides to go elsewhere, a seat is open. Later, they will go through the wide list and re-eval how people fit into the class.
TLDR relax, enjoy not being in dental school yet. I and most of my class (and D4s nationwide) are currently stressed about licensure boards. It all works out

Does University of Maryland send a confirmation email after receiving the 1st deposit?

Interviewed here last week...fingers crossed

can u talk about the 1st year schedule as in the time spent at school - is it mostly 8am to 3pm days, or leave earlier than that. i assume lab is 1-2x weekly so those days are late? for non-mandatory classes that dont have sign in sheet or pop quiz, do most students prefer to sit in class or watch online at home

This!!!

You may get accepted in the much later rounds, waitlisted, denied. Just that you were not amongst the top x students that were selected in that batch. Think of it as if they rate you on how much you will fit into the school, class, clinic. They select a widely diverse class. Not everyone had a 25 DAT and 3.8 GPA. Sometimes those people get Bs and those with a 3.4 and 20 DAT end up in the top 10% of their class. So they then make a list and select the top 20 people. The remaining 70 people go into the large list again of all those interviewed.
When person 12 from batch C decides to go elsewhere, a seat is open. Later, they will go through the wide list and re-eval how people fit into the class.
TLDR relax, enjoy not being in dental school yet. I and most of my class (and D4s nationwide) are currently stressed about licensure boards. It all works out

can u talk about the 1st year schedule as in the time spent at school - is it mostly 8am to 3pm days, or leave earlier than that. i assume lab is 1-2x weekly so those days are late? for non-mandatory classes that dont have sign in sheet or pop quiz, do most students prefer to sit in class or watch online at home
Spring semester consists of 2 labs, operative (where you drill and fill) and gross anatomy. MWF half of our class has operative lab at 8am, the other half has it at 10am. Then we get an hour for lunch and will have class from 1-3. After that we are on gross lab until 5pm. On tuesdays we basically have class from 8-5pm with one hour lunch break. This thursday we have class from 9-3pm with an hour lunch break.

Not all lectures classes are mandatory, but often if you have a C or below it is mandatory. And some professors want mandatory attendance. All labs are mandatory. I would say for non-mandatory classes attendance is fairly low.

Pop quizzes don't exist, but we do have about 2 exams every week this semester.

Anyone interviewing on the 21st of this month? If so let me know via pm or here! I'd love to meet some new people

Thanks for the info. students take Part 1 after 1st year compared to 2nd year at other schools, do u feel the 3 months in the summer is enough to prepare. are u doing some Part 1 studying right now while studying for classes

Spring semester consists of 2 labs, operative (where you drill and fill) and gross anatomy. MWF half of our class has operative lab at 8am, the other half has it at 10am. Then we get an hour for lunch and will have class from 1-3. After that we are on gross lab until 5pm. On tuesdays we basically have class from 8-5pm with one hour lunch break. This thursday we have class from 9-3pm with an hour lunch break.

Not all lectures classes are mandatory, but often if you have a C or below it is mandatory. And some professors want mandatory attendance. All labs are mandatory. I would say for non-mandatory classes attendance is fairly low.

Pop quizzes don't exist, but we do have about 2 exams every week this semester.

Could any current students here share what they wished they'd known or done before dental school?

Thanks for the info. students take Part 1 after 1st year compared to 2nd year at other schools, do u feel the 3 months in the summer is enough to prepare. are u doing some Part 1 studying right now while studying for classes
I'm very happy with taking part 1 during the summer so I can get it out of the way. As much as people enjoy complaining, part 1 of boards isn't something i ever hear the upperclassmen complain about. Our school has a very high rate for passing boards. I know part 2 boards had 100% pass rate last year, wouldn't be surprised if part 1 was also near perfect pass rate for us. Three months will be more than enough to study and I hope to spend 6 weeks at the absolute worst studying for it so I can enjoy my time off school. No time to study for boards now and wouldn't want to anyway

Could any current students here share what they wished they'd known or done before dental school?
Enjoy life more. You're going to hear the same thing from everyone. Don't try to prepare or polish up on any academic things since you'll get back in the groove very quickly once school start.

Hey everyone I have a FAFSA question if anybody could help me please because this was my first time filling it out. So my FAFSA was processed and everything but I originally just put the University I graduated from and a community college I took two classes at. I realized that I had to add the University of Maryland at Baltimore to it and I recently updated it and got email confirmation that the school was successfully added. Is this all I have to do? Will Maryland contact me or will I have to contact them or are they notified when a student puts their school code on their FAFSA? Thanks!

Hey everyone I have a FAFSA question if anybody could help me please because this was my first time filling it out. So my FAFSA was processed and everything but I originally just put the University I graduated from and a community college I took two classes at. I realized that I had to add the University of Maryland at Baltimore to it and I recently updated it and got email confirmation that the school was successfully added. Is this all I have to do? Will Maryland contact me or will I have to contact them or are they notified when a student puts their school code on their FAFSA? Thanks!
Best bet would be to contact our financial aid office so that you can get the most accurate answer. I honestly can't remember

Status
Not open for further replies.