***Official Midwestern-Arizona Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a place at Midwestern to store your luggage during the interview?

Yes, theres an office, small closet but i'm pretty sure they will find a place for your luggage. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello fellow pre-dents!

I have my interview coming up next Monday, 10/24. Was wondering if anyone who has already interviewed can help me out with some questions that were asked during the interview? I have been preparing but knowing some questions would really help! Thank you.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone get put on the waitlist for an interview and later got an interview ? I feel like this is a soft rejection ...

Anyone get put on the waitlist for an interview and later got an interview ? I feel like this is a soft rejection ...

Did you find out if anything was missing from your app? Maybe a letter?

MW AZ quickly rejects so I would not assume waitlist for interview is a rejection.

I was "waitlisted for interview" back in June.
I was missing a LOR (this reason wasn't indicated in the email).

Once it was submitted I got an invite the next day.

What's the cheapest/closest place to stay for the interview? Is Drury Suites the best option or has anyone found something better?

What's the cheapest/closest place to stay for the interview? Is Drury Suites the best option or has anyone found something better?

If you're looking for cheap then Airbnb is ur best bet. I paid ~35 for a night and $10 for Uber to get there. There's also a promotion code to get u $20 off first Uber ride from American airline

Reactions: 1 user
So will I be seeing anybody in here this thursday? :)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I got a waitlist for interview email and then an interview invite about 3 weeks later. It's not a rejection!

Reactions: 3 users
If you're looking for cheap then Airbnb is ur best bet. I paid ~35 for a night and $10 for Uber to get there. There's also a promotion code to get u $20 off first Uber ride from American airline
Same for me. My AirBnb host at Glendale was superb!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just interviewed today, the school sells you on their clinic, and it is honestly one of the best I have seen. The campus is beautiful and both the students and faculty are super open and friendly. That being said, the interview is very intimidating, and I recommend preparing a lot for it (read mission statement, practice common questions) because it is not conversational at all, just felt like rapid fire questions. One interviewer would constantly scrutinize my answers, and it honestly was really uncomfortable. Just my warning and two cents. I'm pretty sure others felt differently.

Just interviewed today, the school sells you on their clinic, and it is honestly one of the best I have seen. The campus is beautiful and both the students and faculty are super open and friendly. That being said, the interview is very intimidating, and I recommend preparing a lot for it (read mission statement, practice common questions) because it is not conversational at all, just felt like rapid fire questions. One interviewer would constantly scrutinize my answers, and it honestly was really uncomfortable. Just my warning and two cents. I'm pretty sure others felt differently.

Good to know. Also, scary to know Haha. I interview Thursday, so I'll get to looking at all the questions on SDN.

That's the normal feeling after the interview! Try not to overthink it :)

I only half remembered the mission statement when they asked, if I end up not getting in I think that might be why. Sucks because I really liked this school :(

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I was asked the mission statement last year and told them that I didn't know it.

I wonder if we had the same interviewer. In my experience one interviewer played the "good cop" while the other played the "bad cop". I felt the school sold themselves very aggressively. The average number of endo, crowns, and the two implant placements that they advertised their students completing blows all the other schools out of the water. They claimed that you would be practice ready and have an equivalent of an AEGD when you leave Midwestern. This is difficult to believe because I know many D4s from top ranked dental programs and non of them feel they are ready to practice on their own.

I wonder if we had the same interviewer. In my experience one interviewer played the "good cop" while the other played the "bad cop". I felt the school sold themselves very aggressively. The average number of endo, crowns, and the two implant placements that they advertised their students completing blows all the other schools out of the water. They claimed that you would be practice ready and have an equivalent of an AEGD when you leave Midwestern. This is difficult to believe because I know many D4s from top ranked dental programs and non of them feel they are ready to practice on their own.

I also interviewed there and from my understanding the reason they can do this is because 1. You finish almost all your didactic courses in year one 2. They make you take practice management courses that prepare you more than any other school I've seen for private practice 3. Since you have to take care of whatever care your patients needs, you end up doing a lot more procedures than in some other schools where a resident would do it.

I also interviewed there and from my understanding the reason they can do this is because 1. You finish almost all your didactic courses in year one 2. They make you take practice management courses that prepare you more than any other school I've seen for private practice 3. Since you have to take care of whatever care your patients needs, you end up doing a lot more procedures than in some other schools where a resident would do it.

Yes I've heard those justifications as well. But after speaking to a few D4s it seemed hard to believe because of the sheer number of procedures. For example how are they finding enough cases for each dental student to place 2 implants.

Yes I've heard those justifications as well. But after speaking to a few D4s it seemed hard to believe because of the sheer number of procedures. For example how are they finding enough cases for each dental student to place 2 implants.

There is a huge patient population in Glendale, Sun City, Peoria and Surprise. I wouldn't be surprised if some students are placing 5-10 implants by the time they graduate.

There is a huge patient population in Glendale, Sun City, Peoria and Surprise. I wouldn't be surprised if some students are placing 5-10 implants by the time they graduate.
Don't forget that each of us receive 2 free implants to give out to patients. I'll be like Oprah - "You get an implant" lol.

So for the students at MWU that do 5-10+ implants, are those not free?????
As I understand, 2 implants are free as in the patients don't have to pay for it (so you can actually choose your friend/family to be your patients or whatnot), and if you go above that than the patients have to agree to pay for those before you can do it. So it's their way to make sure each student get to do at least 2 implants while in school. Maybe I understand it wrong though, it'd be great if any current MWU students can clarify this for us.

How many people are usually accepted from all of the people they interview?

The Dean said that they accept ~220 folks on Dec 1st, but only expect a 50% yield. From Dec to March they'll accept another 30 to fill their class of 140

Had my interview yesterday and I was very impressed with this school.

Pros:
-The faculty and students were all very happy to be there
-I believe all of the faculty are dentists and it seemed like most had many years of private practice experience
-The technology (for example they have many CAD/CAM scanners and mills and you get to use them) and facilities are top notch
-New equipment every few years
-They claim there is a large amount of patients and this allows students to get a lot more procedures than the national average of procedures done by students during dental school
-Boards are done after first year (maybe seen as a con for some)
-I like the D3 and D4 pairing system they use. I think it builds a strong camaraderie and the D3 can learn a lot by watching the D4 and maybe vice-versa at times
-Ability to do speciality procedures in the clinic that would typically be referred out to specialty departments at other schools
-You are thoroughly prepared for private practice, as you will have done many procedures before leaving school
-They claimed that 100% of their students that applied for specialties, got into one. Not always their desired program, but a program.
-Cost of living is dirt cheap (maybe only to me because I am a Bay Area native)

Cons:
- High cost of attendance. Admissions and other faculty members know that tuition is high and they don't hide it, but they say you get your moneys worth (obviously).
-The heat. Something you may be able to get used to.

Those are the first things that come to mind anyway.
Long story short, the school became one of my top choices.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Had my interview yesterday and I was very impressed with this school.

Pros:
-The faculty and students were all very happy to be there
-I believe all of the faculty are dentists and it seemed like most had many years of private practice experience
-The technology (for example they have many CAD/CAM scanners and mills and you get to use them) and facilities are top notch
-New equipment every few years
-They claim there is a large amount of patients and this allows students to get a lot more procedures than the national average of procedures done by students during dental school
-Boards are done after first year (maybe seen as a con for some)
-I like the D3 and D4 pairing system they use. I think it builds a strong camaraderie and the D3 can learn a lot by watching the D4 and maybe vice-versa at times
-Ability to do speciality procedures in the clinic that would typically be referred out to specialty departments at other schools
-You are thoroughly prepared for private practice, as you will have done many procedures before leaving school
-They claimed that 100% of their students that applied for specialties, got into one. Not always their desired program, but a program.
-Cost of living is dirt cheap (maybe only to me because I am a Bay Area native)

Cons:
- High cost of attendance. Admissions and other faculty members know that tuition is high and they don't hide it, but they say you get your moneys worth (obviously).
-The heat. Something you may be able to get used to.

Those are the first things that come to mind anyway.
Long story short, the school became one of my top choices.

I second everything you said, MWU-AZ is one of my top choices now but the cost of tuition is brutal.

For those that attended the interview, does anyone remember what Dr. Carrol said about the lasers? There was no mention of lasers at my other clinical tours, and it seemed like only residents had access to them

For those that attended the interview, does anyone remember what Dr. Carrol said about the lasers? There was no mention of lasers at my other clinical tours, and it seemed like only residents had access to them
I remember them saying that you become laser certified. Not sure if that's the answer you were looking for.

Reactions: 1 users

All students get certified on the 3 soft tissue lasers.

We don't want your kind at Midwestern and hope Tottenham beat you guys tomorrow.

COYG

ImageUploadedBySDN1478396195.512675.jpg

I noticed interviews here are extremely long (the email said 7:45-4:30). What do you do all day that makes it last that long? This is going to be my longest interview, and I even feel like the others were unnecessarily drawn out/had a lot of down time. Just wondering if it's an action-packed day or what the deal is.

I noticed interviews here are extremely long (the email said 7:45-4:30). What do you do all day that makes it last that long? This is going to be my longest interview, and I even feel like the others were unnecessarily drawn out/had a lot of down time. Just wondering if it's an action-packed day or what the deal is.

When I was there, there were two groups of interviewers. We basically all sat in the break room area and waited for them to call us in for the interview. The first person to get interviewed was done really early. If you're unlucky (like me) to be the last one interviewed, you'll finish at around 4:30pm. I literally sat on the couch for ~3.5 hours waiting for my turn.

Eh, there is quite a bit of down time during MWU's interview day as well. There's an introduction presentation, financial aid presentation, student panel, clinic and sim lab walk through (they let you talk to students for a bit during this time too), lunch, interviews, and campus tours.

The most downtime is during the interview and tours. There's a lot of downtime because each interview takes 25-30 mins (this will vary). All the pre dents just hung out and talked while others were getting interviewed. They make two groups and when the first group is interviewing, the other is supposed to be touring and then vice versa. This didn't really work out when I was there for some reason and we kind of just toured in groups after we had our interview.

When I was there, there were two groups of interviewers. We basically all sat in the break room area and waited for them to call us in for the interview. The first person to get interviewed was done really early. If you're unlucky (like me) to be the last one interviewed, you'll finish at around 4:30pm. I literally sat on the couch for ~3.5 hours waiting for my turn.
Geez, you'd think it would be more efficient.

Eh, there is quite a bit of down time during MWU's interview day as well. There's an introduction presentation, financial aid presentation, student panel, clinic and sim lab walk through (they let you talk to students for a bit during this time too), lunch, interviews, and campus tours.

The most downtime is during the interview and tours. There's a lot of downtime because each interview takes 25-30 mins. All the pre dents just hung out and talked while others were getting interviewed. They make two groups and when the first group is interviewing, the other is supposed to be touring and then vice versa. This didn't really work out when I was there for some reason and we kind of just toured in groups after we had our interview.

Thanks for the info!

Has anyone asked the school about how many people they interview pre-dec?

I was the first to be interviewed and I am basically done at 2:30. I called and requested an early interview time due to my flight time. So just give them a call if you want an early interview time.

Does anyone know if they reject people that have interviewed already?

so the actual individual interviews start in the early afternoon? Not in the morning?

I have been curious about something! My interview is November 28th! Do you think they will notify me December 1st since my interview is just days before that? Perhaps they'll wait?

Wow! This sounds awesome.

You mentioned MWU-AZ prepares you more for practice management than any other school you've seen - just curious, what other schools did you look at and determine to have less private practice experience than MWU-AZ?

I remember them saying that you become laser certified. Not sure if that's the answer you were looking for.
All students get certified on the 3 soft tissue lasers.

What does laser certification mean? What can you do with the lasers?

I have been curious about something! My interview is November 28th! Do you think they will notify me December 1st since my interview is just days before that? Perhaps they'll wait?

When I interviewed there they said they would make a decision 1-2 days afterwards, so I believe they convene shortly after each interview date???

Those of you interviewing the 28th.. Stop by bench 2 at the sim lab so we can have some beers :cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar:

Status
Not open for further replies.