*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2020-2021*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A publication would be worthy of an update email. I would send your news, including title, journal, and a one-sentence description to the schools where you haven't interviewed yet. Of the TMDSAS schools I think only UTSW is not interested in updates. "Dear school X, I'm proud to let you know that my research study on squirrel peanut butter preferences will be published in the journal Nature Snacks. I hope this will strengthen my candidacy for your school. Sincerely, erenyeager.

Thanks. I see that some schoools (Houston, UTSW, UTMB) have document upload tabs in the portal. It seems tho other schools you have to email them. Looking at some old sdn posts, I saw that not all TX schools accept updates, but if anyone has info on who does/does not that would be great. Otherwise, I'll update after I send a few emails and see how they respond.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if I should be worried or not that I got a few interviews from Texas schools around September, but I haven't heard anything else from any of the other Texas schools since then

I'm not sure if I should be worried or not that I got a few interviews from Texas schools around September, but I haven't heard anything else from any of the other Texas schools since then
I think you can be proud of yourself @fuzzadook and wait to hear some news.
60% of MD applicants are rejected
10% get a single interview and a single acceptance
10% get several interviews and a single acceptance
20% get several interviews and several acceptances.
You have had several interviews so you are ahead of the game right now

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any Texas military veterans on here planning on using the Hazlewood Act for Med School?

Hi, I have completed all my secondaries by the last week of August and the first week of September, but I have yet to get interview invites. Should I be worried about rejection? If I get rejected from schools, do I get a rejection email or do they not send anything?

Hi, I have completed all my secondaries by the last week of August and the first week of September, but I have yet to get interview invites. Should I be worried about rejection? If I get rejected from schools, do I get a rejection email or do they not send anything?
You are still in the running for interviews which will likely continue through the end of January this time. The long waiting period is hard on everyone!

To answer the 2nd part of your question, the TMDSAS schools let things ride until match day and seldom send out rejections early. Two TX (non-TMDSAS) schools, UIWSOM and TCU/UNTHSC, seem more likely to notify people of rejections along the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Any Texas military veterans on here planning on using the Hazlewood Act for Med School?
3 1/2...for anyone wondering, it covers 3 1/2yrs of med school

vector-illustration-little-cowboy-riding-horse_37609-169.jpg

Hey y'all

Ask me anything about the general TMDSAS or Texas AMCAS applications this year.

I'll see what questions you have and give some answers by this weekend.

I have no inside scoop but can give you answers about how things usually go.

Wysdoc

Reactions: 1 users
View attachment 323347

Hey y'all

Wysdoc
Do the schools send out any IIs after the ranking deadline which this year is mid February or will interviews be absolutely completed by a set date before that?

Do the schools send out any IIs after the ranking deadline which this year is mid February or will interviews be absolutely completed by a set date before that?
Good question! There will be no more interview invitations after that Ranking deadline. The non-TMDSAS Texas MD schools or DO schools might still be interviewing past then, into March or April.

View attachment 323347

Hey y'all

Wysdoc

1. If your application is later submitted (i.e. October), if you were to be invited for an interview, when should you expect to hear back (assuming that all secondaries have been submitted as well)? Would it be later than other applicants who submitted earlier or is it purely at the discretion of the adcoms?

2. Do you happen to know how many IIs UH will send out this year?

Thanks.

1. If your application is later submitted (i.e. October), if you were to be invited for an interview, when should you expect to hear back (assuming that all secondaries have been submitted as well)? Would it be later than other applicants who submitted earlier or is it purely at the discretion of the adcoms?

2. Do you happen to know how many IIs UH will send out this year?

Thanks.
1. most schools have periodic admissions committee meetings at which they discuss students who recently interviewed. Schools might send out a few prematch offers but let the rest of the interviewees be sorted out on Match Day.
2. I have no specific info on U of Houston. They have a class size 30 and a specific mission focus of primary care + those wanting to practice in E Texas/ W Louisiana.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
View attachment 323347

Hey y'all

Wysdoc
Hi,
I have a question on transcripts. Starting this year, TMDSAS changed their policy so that you only send transcripts to them if/when they request it. Thus, I have not sent in any transcripts. Yet, I have browsed on of the schools I applied to and it stated that official transcripts were due to them by 10/15. I am confused b/c in the past, TMDSAS would require transcripts and send them to all of the schools a student applied. I assumed that since they are the central application service, they still fulfilled this rule, even with the policy change. Can you clarify this apparent discrepancy? Thank you.

Hi,
I have a question on transcripts. Starting this year, TMDSAS changed their policy so that you only send transcripts to them if/when they request it. Thus, I have not sent in any transcripts. Yet, I have browsed on of the schools I applied to and it stated that official transcripts were due to them by 10/15. I am confused b/c in the past, TMDSAS would require transcripts and send them to all of the schools a student applied. I assumed that since they are the central application service, they still fulfilled this rule, even with the policy change. Can you clarify this apparent discrepancy? Thank you.

Transcripts would be requested by tmdsas once you are accepted to any school.

Which school is this? Maybe early admission because October 15 was the first day normal admissions could be accepted.

Hi,
Yes , this year TMDSAS won’t ask for your transcripts until you get an admission offer.
This has been a rough year for everyone including the schools, and many schools have not changed or updated the wording on their web pages.
I realize this just makes things more confusing and stressful for you.
If you have a prematch offer and it has been a couple of weeks, go ahead and message TMDSAS on the portal and let them know you would like to send your transcripts.

I've been fortunate to have interviews to three schools, should I not hold my breath for anymore schools? LizzyM 74 and complete date early August.

I've been fortunate to have interviews to three schools, should I not hold my breath for anymore schools? LizzyM 74 and complete date early August.
You still have from now until early February. A few of the schools are only sending out interviews about once a month.
Congratulations on getting 3 interviews; distract yourself while waiting by doing a deep search on your 3 schools so you really know how you want to rank them.

Hey y'all

Wysdoc
I've interviewed at two schools and pre-matched to one. I plan on ranking my prematch #1 on my rank list. If I don't prematch to my #2 but end up matching there in March, will I be notified that I was accepted there despite me sticking with my #1?

I've interviewed at two schools and pre-matched to one. I plan on ranking my prematch #1 on my rank list. If I don't prematch to my #2 but end up matching there in March, will I be notified that I was accepted there despite me sticking with my #1?
No, you would never know unless you prematched there.

Is the prematch school your true preference, to rank it #1?
If so, rank it #1.
If you actually prefer school 2, rank it first. You could match at 2 by doing this, or if they don't rate you highly on their end, you will still have your prematch school.

Maybe you "just want to know if they would have taken me". Match day narrows you down to one school, not a bunch of offers. That's pretty much the point :)

Last edited:
Maybe you "just want to know it they would have taken me". Match day narrows you down to one school, not a bunch of offers. That's pretty much the point :)
Exactly that. Thank you!

How long does it usually take for TMDSAS to refresh the match rank? I had an interview 2 weeks ago but the medical school has not showed up yet.

How long does it usually take for TMDSAS to refresh the match rank? I had an interview 2 weeks ago but the medical school has not showed up yet.
It can take 2 to 4 weeks. If you don't see all your interviewed schools on there by January, politely email the missing schools to remind them :shy:
Or you can PM me which schools are not appearing by January and I will let TMDSAS know, a reminder from them might carry more weight!

I interviewed at mcgovern and unt back in October. So far, I have received weird "gifts" from mcgovern that are merely teases: a mask, a card saying we hope you remember us throughout the holidays, etc. In TMDSAS, my account page says that I do not have any pre-match offers at this point.

Does this mean my chances for an acceptance in this cycle are over? On match day, what would I do?

How do I know if I'm waitlisted??

I interviewed at mcgovern and unt back in October. So far, I have received weird "gifts" from mcgovern that are merely teases: a mask, a card saying we hope you remember us throughout the holidays, etc. In TMDSAS, my account page says that I do not have any pre-match offers at this point.

Does this mean my chances for an acceptance in this cycle are over? On match day, what would I do?

No, prematches can be extended anytime up until Jan 31, 2020 or you may receive an acceptance on Match Day like a significant majority of applicants secure for the first time in the cycle.

By Feb 19th at 5pm CST, you will need to rank all schools you have interviewed at in the TMDSAS portal. On March 5th, you will go back into the portal and see if you matched anywhere. If you did not match anywhere or did not match to your highest ranked program, you will hear back from each school on whether you are being placed on the waitlist (if you matched, you should only hear back from the schools that you ranked higher than the school you matched to).

And don't read into the McGovern mask/postcards — they don't foreshadow any outcome in your application. I know it's hard (I fall victim to that, too) but it only makes the cycle more of an emotional rollercoaster. Hope everything works out in your favor!

Hey, you don’t have to have any prematches to match someplace!
By Feb 19 rank all the schools that interviewed you on your TMDSAS portal. Favorite #1, and down the list.
On Match Day you will get your results.
WL are created after that usually

Good evening everyone,

I am blessed to have received 5 interviews for Texas schools. I am a URM and a TX resident. All except one of my interviews occurred between late october/early-mid november. Some who interviewed around the same time as me have received prematches while I haven't received any news. Around when would be the time to worry? Is it likely that I wouldn't know until Match Day, or should I plan for a gap year? Any feedback is appreciated, thank you in advance!

Good evening everyone,

I am blessed to have received 5 interviews for Texas schools. I am a URM and a TX resident. All except one of my interviews occurred between late october/early-mid november. Some who interviewed around the same time as me have received prematches while I haven't received any news. Around when would be the time to worry? Is it likely that I wouldn't know until Match Day, or should I plan for a gap year? Any feedback is appreciated, thank you in advance!
You already began your worrying, so now you may stop. You may not find out until Match Day but that's pretty common.

Hello, I am interested in writing an update letter / letter of interest in a school I interviewed at. My intention is to *clearly* state why this school is definitely the best fit for me. But I have a few questions about what is best to include (or leave out) in the letter. Should I mention a pre-match acceptance to TCOM (I am writing to an allopathic school)? Also, is it appropriate to highlight the school’s location as a main priority? My fiancé’s career is well-established, we have a house, and we would love to start and raise our family here, so getting that interview was such a dream come true for us! There are so many other reasons it’s a great fit but the location really is a huge consideration for us.

Hello, I am interested in writing an update letter / letter of interest in a school I interviewed at. My intention is to *clearly* state why this school is definitely the best fit for me. But I have a few questions about what is best to include (or leave out) in the letter. Should I mention a pre-match acceptance to TCOM (I am writing to an allopathic school)? Also, is it appropriate to highlight the school’s location as a main priority? My fiancé’s career is well-established, we have a house, and we would love to start and raise our family here, so getting that interview was such a dream come true for us! There are so many other reasons it’s a great fit but the location really is a huge consideration for us.
Address your comments to the particular school only, leave out the info about acceptances to other schools. Your geographic preference due to fiancé job and homestead is relevant.

Address your comments to the particular school only, leave out the info about acceptances to other schools. Your geographic preference due to fiancé job and homestead is relevant.
Thank you for your quick response. I appreciate the advice!

my school is offering p/f this semester and I have already completed all my prereqs a while ago. If I take p/f for subjects like pchem and achem, bc of a very distressing semester involving responsibilities and family deaths, will I be looked disfavorably on by some schools?

my school is offering p/f this semester and I have already completed all my prereqs a while ago. If I take p/f for subjects like pchem and achem, bc of a very distressing semester involving responsibilities and family deaths, will I be looked disfavorably on by some schools?
It will be okay as they are not prereqs. Sorry you are going through so much right now.

I have 2 II's so far this cycle but no A's yet. I know TMDSAS is asking to submit your transcript AFTER you get an acceptance but how to I update TMDSAS about my fall 2020 semester grades ( just finished my last 3 premed prereqs)?

it says on the website " To update grades for recently completed coursework, send an updated transcript to TMDSAS at the address below. Please include a transcript request form."

^^^ is this quote only for admitted students? Because how would I send an "updated" transcript if I Never sent one to begin with?

I have 2 II's so far this cycle but no A's yet. I know TMDSAS is asking to submit your transcript AFTER you get an acceptance but how to I update TMDSAS about my fall 2020 semester grades ( just finished my last 3 premed prereqs)?

it says on the website " To update grades for recently completed coursework, send an updated transcript to TMDSAS at the address below. Please include a transcript request form."

^^^ is this quote only for admitted students? Because how would I send an "updated" transcript if I Never sent one to begin with?
You can update your transcript grades by clicking on the coursework section and editing it! It will let you input it. Until you gain an acceptance, you won’t have to send transcripts to validate your grades

Good question, @la flame
You will log in to the TMDSAS portal and self-report your fall 2020 grades and “save”. You will probably have to review the instructions since it has been so long since you submitted your primary!

While you’re there, if your upcoming class schedule for Spring 2021 has changed, you can adjust that if needed.

TMDSAS will recalculate your GPA and send it to all your schools.

Last edited:
View attachment 323347

Hey y'all

Wysdoc
Can you clarify how the match rankings work on the school's end? I am confused by what it means to rank "favorably" or "high" on a school's list. Does this mean that if my #2 ranks me higher than my #1, I would match to my #2? Or will I still match to my #1 since they still ranked me? I am not sure how transparent or clear this process is but any information would be helpful to further understand how to decide on my rankings!

Can you clarify how the match rankings work on the school's end? I am confused by what it means to rank "favorably" or "high" on a school's list. Does this mean that if my #2 ranks me higher than my #1, I would match to my #2? Or will I still match to my #1 since they still ranked me? I am not sure how transparent or clear this process is but any information would be helpful to further understand how to decide on my rankings!

Ranking from the school end means whether or not you get an acceptance. Ranking from your end determines which acceptance you’ll ultimately accept. If your #1 ranks you low then there’s a higher chance you won’t get accepted there. And if your #2 ranks you higher then there’s a higher chance you’ll get accepted there and ultimately matriculate there.

Would "My spouse was a Texas resident for ten years of primary/secondary schooling and we want to move back closer to his family" be "strong OOS ties?"

When is the last date for interview invites? Would there be anymore at this point in the cycle?

When is the last date for interview invites? Would there be anymore at this point in the cycle?

All Texas medical schools (not including Baylor, TCU/UNTHSC and UIWSOM) will need to conclude their interview cycle by Feb 19 which is the TMDSAS applicant deadline to submit match ranking lists. It appears most schools will be finishing their interview cycles by late-Jan to early-Feb to give a few weeks between the end of interviews and the Feb 19th deadline for applicants to make their rank list decisions.

It would be safe to expect interview invites to continue into late-Jan and maybe early-Feb, but at a much lower volume AND frequency/regularity than what has occurred up to this point. Future IIs will be to fill up the last few remaining interview days or to fill cancellations.

One way the schools let you know they are very interested is by making you a pre-match offer.
However, the number of pre-match offers is less than the class size, so at Match time the schools will go beyond their pre-match students and form a bigger list of students they would like to attend their school. This list must be in some kind of order and will be compared to the rank lists that students submit.

On the student side, matching may depend on
~which of a school's "favorite" students will rank them high
~which of a school's "favorite" students have multiple interviews and have the choice of ranking those schools however they want
~the popularity of the school in general compared to other TMDSAS schools - more popular schools will have a lot of students ranking them #1, but some of those students will match to a school they had ranked 2,3,4 etc.

When making your rank preference list, go by YOUR true feelings and don't try to second-guess which school you think will pick you.
Rank ALL the schools where you have interviewed, whether they offered you a prematch or not, in your true order of preference.
If you have at least ONE prematch offer in hand, you are guaranteed to come out of Match Day with a place.
If you have no prematch offers, you can match, but a minority do not match. They can then later come in from a Wait List.

Does anyone happen to know the percentage of students who come out of the match with no offers? Is it truly a minority or is that something people keep saying to calm everyone down? I’m sitting pretty with 2 II’s at this point wondering if I should start looking into a gap year option or not

One way the schools let you know they are very interested is by making you a pre-match offer.
However, the number of pre-match offers is less than the class size, so at Match time the schools will go beyond their pre-match students and form a bigger list of students they would like to attend their school. This list must be in some kind of order and will be compared to the rank lists that students submit.

On the student side, matching may depend on
~which of a school's "favorite" students will rank them high
~which of a school's "favorite" students have multiple interviews and have the choice of ranking those schools however they want
~the popularity of the school in general compared to other TMDSAS schools - more popular schools will have a lot of students ranking them #1, but some of those students will match to a school they had ranked 2,3,4 etc.

When making your rank preference list, go by YOUR true feelings and don't try to second-guess which school you think will pick you.
Rank ALL the schools where you have interviewed, whether they offered you a prematch or not, in your true order of preference.
If you have at least ONE prematch offer in hand, you are guaranteed to come out of Match Day with a place.
If you have no prematch offers, you can match, but a minority do not match. They can then later come in from a Wait List.
This is great - thank you so much for clarifying!

Does anyone happen to know the percentage of students who come out of the match with no offers? Is it truly a minority or is that something people keep saying to calm everyone down? I’m sitting pretty with 2 II’s at this point wondering if I should start looking into a gap year option or not
I've never seen that statistic published but if I do find it I'll share with y'all

Reactions: 3 users
I've never seen that statistic published but if I do find it I'll share with y'all
Were you originally basing the "minority do not match" comment off trends you've seen in the past few years on SDN?

Were you originally basing the "minority do not match" comment off trends you've seen in the past few years on SDN?
I would also like to know where information like this (what proportion of people match, what proportion of accepted students match vs prematch) comes from because all I have been able to find is anecdotal evidence on SDN. Maybe I am just not looking in the right place, though, so any info is appreciated!

Yes just from my observations but I have asked someone at TMDSAS if they have data on this and I will share when I hear back.

I would also like to know where information like this (what proportion of people match, what proportion of accepted students match vs prematch) comes from because all I have been able to find is anecdotal evidence on SDN. Maybe I am just not looking in the right place, though, so any info is appreciated!
Whenever you interview at A&M, they give a pdf that breaks down the acceptance numbers through the match and such. Based on the initial math I did with that document, I got the impression that it was a fairly match heavy school which is a good sign. I kind of wish other schools were a little more transparent about this, including schools that are supposedly prematch heavy (UTMB??)

Status
Not open for further replies.