Official: University of Michigan Class of 2008 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steinway

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys - i'm 99.999% sure i'll be a wolverine, so i thought i'd start this thread now...who else is headed to ann arbor????

Members don't see this ad.

marakah2,

Due to overwhelming demand last year (you can thank us when you get here :)), the administration is planning on organizing a second look weekend for this application cycle. It will probably be sometime in late April or early May, but definitely before the May 15th deadline (the date you have to limit your acceptances to one school at a time).

There are also informal channels available as well. You can call up a few fraternities to see if you can check out their place, and they might give you a place to stay for the night if there is room. Or you can contact someone through the various clubs we have here, and see if you can arrange something for a student host. I know BMA, UAAMSA and I think LANAMA maybe... (black medical, united asian, latino, respectively) have programs for these kinds of things for interviews, and may offer it again for second look as well. I can't guarantee that any of these informal channels are still available, but it's worth a shot.

whew, i'm glad there's gonna be a second look this year...nice work, sp...BTW - when does umich usually send out financial aid offers?

Members don't see this ad :)
If I remember correctly, the financial aid offers came in around early May. They had some "systems" issues (computer maybe?) and were delayed. I think you can expect to receive your offers in April if all goes well. I have no idea if you will have to wait until April for any scholarship offers.
shrug.gif

I just interviewed there recently. If I get in there's a very good chance I'll go there.

gotta say...midnight email + personalized letter...i'm sold..

I just found out twenty minutes ago. I'm in! I'm in! Man, this is one of the greatest moments of my life. So much work. I'll see you all next August!

Congratulations. Feels good, don't it?

Hey guys, the second look weekend will be May 8-9. Two whole days! (Or maybe they'll split you guys into two groups?)

Hey guys, the second look weekend will be May 8-9. Two whole days! (Or maybe they'll split you guys into two groups?)
The weekend of my graduation. :(

i'll be there...

SP or anyone else have a ballpark figure of how much a UM/OSU ticket is gonna cost me? i've heard some of the med students end up selling their tickets...

congrats all :)

elias514,
if you don't mind my asking, did you interview on the 31st? thanks :)

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, you must be some applicant :) i knew i should have worn a costume :laugh:

Originally posted by Steinway
i'll be there...

SP or anyone else have a ballpark figure of how much a UM/OSU ticket is gonna cost me? i've heard some of the med students end up selling their tickets...
last time i checked (about 1.5 months ago) it was over 200, around 250. check on ebay if you want more numbers.

edit: did a brief check on ebay and it looks like tickets are ranging from 150-200 per ticket in most cases.

Michigan does sound good....i just might see you guys there next year :)

-Ice

Add me as a potential attendee as well.....I had a great time on interview day! :) :clap:

I love how Michigan gets back to you so fast. They are awesome!

just withdrew from a couple schools, i'm comin to A2...anyone with me??

Looks like I might be heading back to ann arbor as well. it's a great place to be.

has anyone received anything about financial aid packages or scholarships recently?

I haven't gotten any correspondence re: financial aid in several weeks. I submitted my FAFSA and the UMich online app for financial aid a month ago.

Also, just in case you guys were wondering, NO parental signatures are required for first-year entering students at UMich. Mary Jo Blinn, who is in charge of financial aid for first-year entering students at Michigan, told me this over the phone.

I still don't know what the deal is with the SAR. We're supposed to receive a copy of the SAR from the federal government via snail mail, right? I've yet to get my copy in the mail, which sucks, because we have to send a signed copy to the financial aid office.

Anybody else frustrated with the financial aid process at this point?

When are we supposed to start looking for housing? Anyone know if the school helps us find roomies? where is the best place to live?

I'm gonna take care of the housing stuff during the second look weekend. One of my buddies is a political science graduate student at Michigan, so he knows a lot about the housing situation up there. I'll probably rely on him a lot. I need some roommates though!

A portion of Saturday (or maybe Sunday) of the 2nd look is dedicated to housing.....relax....you might want to bring a checkbook though........

Look forward to seeing you all.......everyone's putting a lot of time to make sure you have a good time.....

I have a welcome weekend there for LANAMA, which is the latino american/native american medical association there. I think part of the trip is about housing and looking for it. The weekend is April 16th-18th I think. I'd imagine that the housing things is going to be the same as second look, so I'll get back to y'all and tell you about it.

Shane

P.S. The "y'all" does not mean that I am from the south, only that I wish I was, just kidding.

anyone else get a FA estimate this week? i got mine, and it hurts, bad...

morecowbell said:
anyone else get a FA estimate this week? i got mine, and it hurts, bad...

How did you get yours, in the mail? I called today: The first lady i talked to said we'd be getting the packages end of May or June, and I uttered a very surpised "WHat??? umm... I thought we'd receive them before the 5/15 deadline so we could decide on a school". Then she transferred me to someone who know what she was talking about, and she said she would send me a quote via email. nothing yet though.

If you don't mind sharing, did you get any sort of grant money......? or all loans?

thanx

Yea I'd be interested in figuring out when financial aid packages went out as well...

ice_23 said:
Yea I'd be interested in figuring out when financial aid packages went out as well...

they told me that you can get an estimate in mid-april, but official letters won't go out until may.

I went there this weekend and looked at a bunch of places to live there. All the apartments are pretty much the same, the only difference is a little difference in price and the cheaper places are farther away. I'd definetly say as far as apartments go island drive and medical center courts are the closest and most populated by med students. There are fraternities, not really fraternities though 'cause theres no rush or anything like that, pretty much first come first serve.
I think I'm gonna try for Phi Chi, it actually give you your own apartment. The others give you only a room and or you have to bunk up dorm style for Phi Rho as a first year. They are all pretty expensive, apartments are around 500 a month with heat included. Theres a site for the incoming class that give everybody information, I'll post it in case everybody doesn't have the address.

http://www2.med.umich.edu/medschool/admittedstudents/login.cfm
the user name is: umms
password: 04student
Take a look at the site its pretty useful.

As far as financial aid goes. I actually had Katie Horne email me a copy of my estimated financial aid package. Though its not all I dreamed I do have it.
Hope this helps.
Shane

At the most recent Welcome Weekend, I got to see my financial aid package for UMich, too. I was so disappointed--the package really sucks ass. Several high level administrators during the Welcome Weekend presentations mentioned the extraordinary "financial health" and excellent financial resources of U of M, yet my financial aid package is horrible. WTF!

Anyways, I plan to move there the last week of June, and I want to move into a 2BR at Medical Center Court Apartments, where most of the medical students live. But I need a roommate (I live in Texas, and I don't have any connections in Ann Arbor). If I can find somebody by April 30, $200 will be deducted off the first month's rent, $100 off the security deposit, and $50 off each month's rent. It's a pretty sweet deal. If anybody's interested, please PM me as soon as possible. I want to jump on this offer. (BTW I'm a 26 yr. old male).

I can barely wait to start incurring my wonderful 160K of debt. God this sucks.

jeez, 160 K of debt????

I filled out the FAFSA and then the online Michigan financial aid form, plus I emailed them but no response yet. When did you guys get your aid package, and does it come in the mail?

-Ice

there has already been a welcome weekend? i thought it was in may....?

ice_23 said:
jeez, 160 K of debt????

I filled out the FAFSA and then the online Michigan financial aid form, plus I emailed them but no response yet. When did you guys get your aid package, and does it come in the mail?

-Ice

they say it'll take 3-4 days to get a response...and you get it through email. read it at home, not in public just in case you soil your pants. that is unless you got a sweet scholarship. ahh well, for me, UM is worth every penny.

oh, and i believe the welcome weekend was for URMs, but i could be wrong.. i know the second look is on may 7th-9th...sounds like it's gonna be a good time...

ok i just got my financial aid estimate via email.... i am out of state, and got a 10K scholarship and ~2k in grants on top of that. So I have 38K in loans, to cover a budget of about 50k-52k. So ~40k in loans x 4.... 160K for me too. I guess I can deal with that, considering For some of the other schools I'm looking at, it's coming out to taking out ~55K in loans.

P.S. I am curious--what kind of numbers are you in-staters seeing if you got your estimate already?

Coming out of the woodwork here... I just got back from a day at UMich and I'm pretty much convinced. Count me in! (I haven't much to contribue about fin aid or housing just yet, just made up my mind)

IrishOarsman said:
Coming out of the woodwork here... I just got back from a day at UMich and I'm pretty much convinced. Count me in! (I haven't much to contribue about fin aid or housing just yet, just made up my mind)
Hey man, glad to hear you chose Mich over Chicago. We need as many former Catholic League-ers as we can get. So far it looks like we got a great class shapin up for next year.

elias514 said:
" and excellent financial resources of U of M, yet my financial aid package is horrible. WTF!
I can barely wait to start incurring my wonderful 160K of debt. God this sucks.

??? You're out of state right? That either means you have savings or are footing some of the bill, or they are giving you 12-14k/year in free money. That doesn't seem like a horrible deal. What did you expect?

If debt was that important to you, you would choose to owe 70 or 80k coming from a UT school, so I'm not sure you have much of a right to complain.

Bones2008 said:
Hey man, glad to hear you chose Mich over Chicago. We need as many former Catholic League-ers as we can get. So far it looks like we got a great class shapin up for next year.
Thanks. I agree, next year will rock. A sampling of things that pushed me over the edge:
1) both the M1 and M2 classes currently seem pretty damn cool
2) I really feel like UM has the maximum amount of learning with the minimum of BS
3) and, vs UChicago's 8-5 traditional curriculum, I have more free time (some of which will be spent visiting chitown) with a higher chance of crushing the boards and with more institutional respect from residencies

Aside: Bones, did you also do Catholic grade school? Where?

IrishOarsman said:
Aside: Bones, did you also do Catholic grade school? Where?
I went to St. Anne's in Barrington for K-5, then I went to public for 6-8. For highschool I went to Loyola. It's real interesting how many Catholic schools are in Chicago. People from other places are surprised when I tell them there's a whole athletic conference with divisions and all.

Hi everyone,

Are you bringing your cars to Ann Arbor? I'm wondering if I can get by just using the bus system for the first 2 years...?

Yeah I'm bringing my car. I've heard the public transportation is pretty good, though I've also heard that very few students use it to commute (not sure why). I just figure that I'll be working some weird hours at times throughout my years at UM, and I don't wanna have to rely on a bus at 3:30 AM (if one is available at all) to get me home. I'm gonna be within walking distance, though, so my car doesn't even figure into the equation there. Being able to walk or bike is probably the best option.

aite. i just accepted my offer of admission on fri at umich so i'm gonna be a wolverine :D ...and want to meet other classmates out there...so bumping up. (and i'll keep bumping too, until someone's nice enough to respond :D )

what's everyone up to? anyone doing the pre-matriculation program in july? everyone got places to live yet?

spumoni620 said:
aite. i just accepted my offer of admission on fri at umich so i'm gonna be a wolverine :D ...and want to meet other classmates out there...so bumping up. (and i'll keep bumping too, until someone's nice enough to respond :D )

what's everyone up to? anyone doing the pre-matriculation program in july? everyone got places to live yet?

Spumoni620...you just accepted your offer of admission Friday? Do you mean you got in off the waitlist, or you just withdrew from other schools Friday? Sorry, just anxiously awaiting the waitlist movement and wondered if it's started. Thanks.

Hey spumoni, I though you were headed to Baylor for med school? (Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else...oh well)

Someone else commented that my complaints regarding financial aid from UMich were unjustified because I could have attended a UT school for less money. UT med schools are dirt cheap for residents of Texas, but unfortunately I'm not a legal resident there (even though I've lived there for 4 years...bastards). Nonresident tuition at UT schools is still pretty high and it's extremely difficult to gain admission to these schools as a nonresident (esp. UTSW and Baylor, which are the only schools I'd attend in Texas as a nonresident). I think the public med schools in Texas only give up about 10% of their spaces to nonresidents because of some state law.

At any rate, I think Michigan rocks and I can't wait to get started there, in spite of the headaches from my future debt.

J33 said:
Spumoni620...you just accepted your offer of admission Friday? Do you mean you got in off the waitlist, or you just withdrew from other schools Friday? Sorry, just anxiously awaiting the waitlist movement and wondered if it's started. Thanks.

i've had my offer of acceptance since oct. 18, but i just recently confirmed that i would be going there (sent in my edr etc.) and withdrew from my other school. it was the 2nd look weekend that did it for me :)

j33, i hope you get in! good luck :)

elias514 said:
Hey spumoni, I though you were headed to Baylor for med school? (Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else...oh well)

Someone else commented that my complaints regarding financial aid from UMich were unjustified because I could have attended a UT school for less money. UT med schools are dirt cheap for residents of Texas, but unfortunately I'm not a legal resident there (even though I've lived there for 4 years...bastards). Nonresident tuition at UT schools is still pretty high and it's extremely difficult to gain admission to these schools as a nonresident (esp. UTSW and Baylor, which are the only schools I'd attend in Texas as a nonresident). I think the public med schools in Texas only give up about 10% of their spaces to nonresidents because of some state law.

At any rate, I think Michigan rocks and I can't wait to get started there, in spite of the headaches from my future debt.

hey elias,

yeah, i was going to baylor, but recently decided on michigan after the 2nd look weekend and getting my financial info....it will work out being financially cheaper for me, among other things. i'll see ya there this fall. :)

don't worry about the financial aid, i'm sure it will be worth the $. for what it's worth, the people who work in the office are awesome....and they do have a ton of random scholarships (like in the 2nd year, all females who were non-science majors get $5-6K i think...). and things could change for you next year, you never know.

spumoni620 said:
it was the 2nd look weekend that did it for me :)

yeah, how was that and what did you do? I wanted to go but couldn't because I was graduating that weekend.

Spumoni,

I'll be doing the pre matriculation thing in July (although I don't have the info on it yet) if I don't get in off of Yale's waitlist, which seems likely that I won't.

I think it's like an anatomy course for ppl who haven't had it...and I am definitely one of those people.

:)

-Ice

Can someone pass on more info about the pre-matriculation program? I haven't studied for anything in so long...

Have any of you guys started to look at housing? If the WL I am waiting on doesn't work out, I'm gonna put down something for housing in June most likely. I'm thinking Med Center Court-- any incoming female M1 looking for a roommate, PM me! :)

Yeah, spumoni, give us details on second look! :) I couldn't go up that weekend, so I went up to A2 the weekend before to get a better idea of the housing situation , etc.

Lux