Ohio State 2019 hopefuls!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also received an invite this morning. I'm IS and currently an OSU grad student. I also have a lower GPA, cumulative 3.4 between undergrad and graduate. I haven't decided on the day yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Do you mind me asking what's a "low gpa"? Is it less than 3.65?
Not at all: Cum. GPA 3.02 Pre-req GPA 3.33. I returned to do my pre-reqs, post bacc, 6 yrs after earning my BS

Reactions: 2 users
So does anyone know the breakdown of how many they invite (alltogether, IS vs OOS)?

Members don't see this ad :)
So does anyone know the breakdown of how many they invite (alltogether, IS vs OOS)?
From last year's data:
1417 total applicants (249 IS)
162 total seats (81 IS)
They haven't published on their site how many got interviews or how many were offered spots or anything.

My brain is extremely foggy from finals, but I somewhat remember them interviewing 340-400 altogether last year I believe (with maybe 100-120 for IS??). I could be off a bit but that number sounds around right.

My brain is extremely foggy from finals, but I somewhat remember them interviewing 340-400 altogether last year I believe (with maybe 100-120 for IS??). I could be off a bit but that number sounds around right.

You're pretty close. Based on the Class of 2018 profile they had 418 total interviews, 135 IS and 283 OOS.

No. At the open house the woman told us it's a 3.4

Could it have been the average applicant GPA (as in all 1000+ people who applied that year)? In the past they have published that on class profiles and it usually hangs around a 3.4.

Could it have been the average applicant GPA (as in all 1000+ people who applied that year)? In the past they have published that on class profiles and it usually hangs around a 3.4.
Hmmmm I'm not sure about that. I just specifically remember her saying class of 2018's GPA average is 3.4 because I was shocked that it was that "low" and different than what is on the website!

Also side note. Wish we knew how many interviews they sent out already. I'm getting very nervous because I haven't heard anything yet

Me either... I am getting concerned about another rejection..

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
tumblr_n168e8MxTs1rm5s50o6_400.gif
anigif_enhanced-21069-1403192108-24.gif

Why these two aren't in the same gif I have no idea

I GOT ONE!!!
OOS, received mine at about 2pm today.

I had honestly pretty much given up hope too, so stay positive guys! Literally was having the worst day of my life too, I really needed this haha. But the good news is that they're still sending them out!

Reactions: 8 users
my guess would be that they'll be sending them out until the end of the week :)

Last edited:
3.7 is the correct average GPA for the Class of 2018 so the 3.4 must have been in-state students or possibly the avg GPA of applicants? My (2017) class's avg GPA was 3.68 and there were 439 interviews (134 IS and 305 OOS).

Reactions: 1 users
Hello Everybody! I've been checking this form relentlessly for the past two weeks, so I figured I'd actually create an account.

Does anybody know if we have to wait until final admissions decisions are made to hear if we were rejected (without an interview)? I'm driving myself crazy checking my e-mail, and my buckeye link has said pending since I started checking it last Friday (which apparently is not a really good indication of anything). I'm beginning to get really discouraged. I'm OOS and my GPA is a 3.81 and my GRE's were just average. The vet I work with graduated from OSU and wrote one of my letters of recommendations. I'm trying to stay positive, and nobody else I've spoken with seems to understand my peril. I figured it might help to talk to others in the same position.

Hello Everybody! I've been checking this form relentlessly for the past two weeks, so I figured I'd actually create an account.

Does anybody know if we have to wait until final admissions decisions are made to hear if we were rejected (without an interview)? I'm driving myself crazy checking my e-mail, and my buckeye link has said pending since I started checking it last Friday (which apparently is not a really good indication of anything). I'm beginning to get really discouraged. I'm OOS and my GPA is a 3.81 and my GRE's were just average. The vet I work with graduated from OSU and wrote one of my letters of recommendations. I'm trying to stay positive, and nobody else I've spoken with seems to understand my peril. I figured it might help to talk to others in the same position.
I was wondering the same thing. I am IS however and thought I had a good chance at an interview but have yet to hear anything. Not sure how to stay positive as well. Was hoping some current students could shed some light on this process. I would hate for us to have to wait until then for rejections. Ha ha but I'm not sure they have even sent any rejections out yet besides to people who didn't meet prerequisite requirements

I was wondering the same thing. I am IS however and thought I had a good chance at an interview but have yet to hear anything. Not sure how to stay positive as well. Was hoping some current students could shed some light on this process. I would hate for us to have to wait until then for rejections. Ha ha but I'm not sure they have even sent any rejections out yet besides to people who didn't meet prerequisite requirements

Good to know I'm not the only one. And yeah, I thought I would have a good chance of at least an interview going in. Plus, this was the first school I was expecting to hear from, so if I don't get an interview here I'm scared to think what that means for the other schools. Hopefully they just are not done yet! I know someone posted that interviews invites were supposed to be this week and next week...but I doubt they would be sending anything on Christmas Eve or Christmas...? Or this weekend...maybe Monday and Tuesday... :/

AFAIK, most people who were rejected without an interview found out soon after the interview invites were sent out. Usually the interview invites are sent out earlier than they were this year so maybe they'll wait until after the holidays? :shrug: They don't really tell us what their plans are as far as sending out invites and rejections. There may have been a few who found out later so that they would be able to send out more interview invites in case people cancelled them later but I'm not sure if Ohio State was one of the schools who did that.

I received an interview invite yesterday. OOS. I was super scared too, my cGPA is a 3.54. My science isn't too different depending on what you calculate with.

So from what I remember last year (I applied here last year too) I received a rejection letter around the same time interview invites went out, then, as I still followed the post, people got a handful of interview invites as interviews rolled on.... so don't give up hope until that sad letter is in your hands (which it wont be!!)

And even if you do get rejected, apply again! Because I have an interview this year :)

Oh, and for the person who thinks OSU is your best chance, don't give up all hope. I was flat out rejected here last year, but still got an interview at another school, so DONT GIVE UP HOPE!!!!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Got an interview!
For those who know Ohio State, how is the location like? Crime rate, things to do, is it rural/urban?
Columbus is amazing! It's a large city. Tons of stuff to do!

Got an interview!
For those who know Ohio State, how is the location like? Crime rate, things to do, is it rural/urban?
I love Columbus :love:
It's big enough where there is always something to do but has a smaller town feel (depending where you live) which I like. Lots of shopping! (but bad for my wallet :unsure: ) and almost every restaurant you could need. I'm not from a city by any means and I feel very comfortable here. I dont think the crime is very high but that could be anecdotal. Of course there are car break-ins and not so well-meaning people but I don't think it is higher than other cities by any means. Just be smart - don't leave valuables in your car, lock your car, lock your apartment/house when you leave (even if walking the dogs) and you'll be fine.

Got an interview!
I was nervous about living in a big city, but the campus is not really downtown, persay. It's more suburban. I have never felt unsafe (and that was a big concern of mine). I absolutely LOVE OSU and wouldn't trade my choice for the world. Lots of things to do, especially if you're a foodie.

Got an interview!
I have nothing new to add really, just backing up Stb and NStarz, I absolutely love it here! Columbus itself is huge, I don't think I've even seen all the parts of it so there is lots to do.

Got an interview!

I've been living in Columbus for almost ten years now. There are many distinct neighborhoods, each with its own reputation for safety. Generally speaking, west and north are nicer and more expensive. East and south have some problems.

Last edited:
Does anybody know if they will still be sending out interviews this week?

Does anybody know if they will still be sending out interviews this week?

I'm assuming, since someone posted on Tuesday that admissions said they were sending out invites that week (last week) and next week (this week). I still have hope lol

:oops:

You and me both, I am a PA resident so this school is one of the few that I could drive to and from in a day!

For anyone that knows, I was offered a Interview and one of the pages said they do rolling offers from January-April. Does that mean picking a later interview date will give me less of a advantage at getting in?
Thank you for anyone that can answer :)

Just got an interview invite!

Thanks for the reassurances! I'm still worried, but unfortunately there is nothing I can do but wait. I think my app deserves an interview, but we will see. Congrats to those who have since received invites!

Also, to answer what the area is like....I don't typically like cities, but I found Columbus really easy to navigate. There was a lot of things to do, and overall the area seemed nice. The vet school is like its own community. Whether you like a lot going on or not, I felt like the area had something for everyone. My boyfriend and I toured the school and went to the zoo one day, and went to The Wilds (about an hour away) the next.

For anyone that knows, I was offered a Interview and one of the pages said they do rolling offers from January-April. Does that mean picking a later interview date will give me less of a advantage at getting in?
Thank you for anyone that can answer :)
No, it shouldn't. There are a few people who get acceptances right away, but most people are selected some time after all of the interviews are finished.

Don't know if this means something bad or good is coming, but on my Ohio portal, where you can check your applicant status, I seem to have lost the option to view last year's decision (rejection) and only this year's Pending app part is showing up. :shrug:

:heckyeah: I got an interview invite! Excited to have gotten this far, but now I'm a whole new kind of terrified!!!

I got an interview!!! I'll be interviewing on January 24th!! Still got my fingers crossed for you @plp13!

I got an interview!!! I'll be interviewing on January 24th!! Still got my fingers crossed for you @plp13!
Congratulations!!! and thanks :) I think they are open tomorrow so I am praying for a Christmas Eve miracle! Ha ha ha

Congratulations!!! and thanks :) I think they are open tomorrow so I am praying for a Christmas Eve miracle! Ha ha ha
That'd make me so happy.gif

I'm still holding out hope...;)

I haven't heard anything either...I wonder if rejections come post holiday break...:meh:

Does anyone know if Ohio wants fall transcripts? I don't think so but I wanted to make sure.

Does anyone know if Ohio wants fall transcripts? I don't think so but I wanted to make sure.

On their FAQ page:

Are Fall transcripts from the application year required for current applicants?

No, applicants that are offered a seat are required to submit a final transcript. Please submit final transcripts to the Office of Professional Admissions by June 1st. Office of Professional Admissions, The Ohio State University, P. O. Box 182003, Columbus, OH 43218-2003

I haven't heard anything either...I wonder if rejections come post holiday break...:meh:

In the past they've waited until after the interviews to send out the bulk of rejections. I do remember some people getting invites after the interview dates started though, so until they've finished their last interview you're kind of on edge, filled with cautious optimism.