Pacific Northwest (PNWU-COM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just wondering if you get a "file complete" email after submitting and paying?

Members don't see this ad.

waiting game will be for a couple of weeks..orientation is next week.. we are busy getting ready for that and getting the students ready for the HARD stuff

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone having issues attaching the essay? I'm using the right version of internet explorer but when I hit upload the document disappears and nothing uploads? What the heck I have no idea what to do...

What file format are you trying to upload? I cannot recall, but I think .docx was not supported. If you are using Word, make sure to save it was a .doc file.

Hey thanks for the response... I called admissions and e-mailed it to them and they said it was fine. She was laughing so I'm guessing other people are having issues too lol

Is there any kind of email update after you submit your secondary to confirm everything was received? If so, how long is the turn around?

Is there any kind of email update after you submit your secondary to confirm everything was received? If so, how long is the turn around?

They sent me a few different e-mails.... One "complete" sort of email. One with a self-service account login and password. And then another one yesterday reminding me to choose a security question... I can't remember the turnaround time but I got all three of those within 1.5 weeks!

Thanks, I submitted yesterday and am anxious to hear back!

Thanks, I submitted yesterday and am anxious to hear back!

No problem! I did the whole anxious-call admissions asap-where is my email thing lol But the admissions lady was laughing when I called and just said to be patient. And just an fyi... when you get your email with your self service account info, it takes a few days she said for it to actually work! Mine still doesn't work so I have to call them about that but just thought I would share the info!

Oh thanks! I'm on edge enough I would have been stressing about that. Good luck with your app!

What does 1 page mean? 1 page single spaced? Double spaced? Size 12 Times New Roman???

What does 1 page mean? 1 page single spaced? Double spaced? Size 12 Times New Roman???

I wouldn't over-think it. Mine was one page, single-spaced with size 11 Times. Probably better to do 12, but I was over by a couple of words, and did 11 :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't believe it is asking us to use internet explorer 8.0. Is anyone else having trouble with this? I can't seem to find a IE 8.0 download to run on windows 7. PNWU is living in yestermonths

I can't find IE 8.0 for Windows 7. I can only find it for Windows XP or Vista. Can you please post a link to the download please? I would appreciate it so much!!!

Dude, apply! Did you see the stats for their applicant profiles? If you got a secondary, it means something. Some odd 2400 received and only 600 administered.
Secondly,
did anyone else have TECHNICAL EFFING ISSUES with submitting their secondary online? My payment process went through, but I was never redirected to the original application to upload my essay. wtf?! Sorry, having a menial neurotic meltdown; I'm sure it can be rectified but I don't want to be marked incomplete. Ah!!!! Ideas?

Where did you get the 2400 received and 600 administered data? Was this from last year?

I can't find IE 8.0 for Windows 7. I can only find it for Windows XP or Vista. Can you please post a link to the download please? I would appreciate it so much!!!

Where did you get the 2400 received and 600 administered data? Was this from last year?

They interpreted this data wrong. I can't find the link on their website anymore but it wasn't 600 administered

Since I can't find IE 8 for Windows 7 and I can't figure out how to use IE on a Mac, would it be too risky to use Chrome? Chrome seems to open the PNWU webpage fine, but then again I can't be sure if it's missing any part of the application. This is very frustrating. :(

Since I can't find IE 8 for Windows 7 and I can't figure out how to use IE on a Mac, would it be too risky to use Chrome? Chrome seems to open the PNWU webpage fine, but then again I can't be sure if it's missing any part of the application. This is very frustrating. :(

Call admissions!! They are super nice and if you absolutely can't figure it out I'm sure they would help you work it out! I don't know why they have us use such an old version of browsers.. not even the oldest computer in my house has those versions...

Call admissions!! They are super nice and if you absolutely can't figure it out I'm sure they would help you work it out! I don't know why they have us use such an old version of browsers.. not even the oldest computer in my house has those versions...

When you call admissions, does Hope always answer? I keep getting her machine. Should I leave a message or email her?

Edit: Hope has never answered my phone calls or email. Fortunately, kob3z helped me out. :)

Which address did you guys use to send the LORs to? I cannot find the info anywhere.

Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences
Administrative Office
111 University Parkway, Suite 202
Yakima, WA 98901

College of Osteopathic Medicine
Butler-Haney Hall
200 University Parkway
Yakima, WA 98901

Edit: LORs to admin office.

Last edited:
i would leave a message. she is always great about calling back in a timely fashion, plus she is very nice!

Just got my secondary! Im super psyched about this school considering it's super close to my home!!
Do you guys know when they start granting IIs? Anyone receive one yet?

Just got my secondary! Im super psyched about this school considering it's super close to my home!!
Do you guys know when they start granting IIs? Anyone receive one yet?

No ii here, but i did get my complete email today! =) Last year i think they started giving out ii around the first or second week of September so get ready!!! Good luck!

Got an email from them today saying "An initial review of your application leads us to believe you would be a great addition to Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences. As you may know we have a shortage of physicians in the Pacific Northwest and one way to fill that need is to recruit and train physicians in our region." Then saying "why haven't you submitted your secondary yet?" from Ennis. I'm just holding off on the secondary because my school is sending out my letters this week so I'd like to start hearing back from other schools first and potentially save myself some $.

No ii here, but i did get my complete email today! =) Last year i think they started giving out ii around the first or second week of September so get ready!!! Good luck!

Oh wow thats soon! Im excited! Going to get this secondary sent out ASAP! waiting on my stupid committee letter though :(
Good luck to you too

Got an email from them today saying "An initial review of your application leads us to believe you would be a great addition to Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences. As you may know we have a shortage of physicians in the Pacific Northwest and one way to fill that need is to recruit and train physicians in our region." Then saying "why haven't you submitted your secondary yet?" from Ennis. I'm just holding off on the secondary because my school is sending out my letters this week so I'd like to start hearing back from other schools first and potentially save myself some $.

So are they basically saying they want to accept you? Kind of strange. Lol

So are they basically saying they want to accept you? Kind of strange. Lol

Not that I'm saying that it would be strange for a school to accept you bro. Ha ha ha!
I'm just sayin they haven't even done interviews and that sounds like they want to recruit you.

Not that I'm saying that it would be strange for a school to accept you bro. Ha ha ha!
I'm just sayin they haven't even done interviews and that sounds like they want to recruit you.

I got the same email. I can't imagine that means they are saying they are going to accept me. I think that means "you are from the Northwest so you have an okay shot and we want your secondary fee".

Interview invite! Probably choosing 10/12. The good thing about living in the NW is it is one of the few med schools within driving distance!!

Interview invite! Probably choosing 10/12. The good thing about living in the NW is it is one of the few med schools within driving distance!!

That's great! Is this the first we've heard of invites from this school? Also, were you notified by email?

Hey,

Just wanted to let everyone know that it is possible to get Internet Explorer 8 if you have Windows 7.

To uninstall Internet Explorer

If you're trying to uninstall Internet Explorer because of an issue with the browser, first check to see if a solution is listed in Internet Explorer 9 Help and How-to.
The following instructions apply to both Windows 7 and Windows Vista.

1. Click the Start button
    4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818.jpg
    , type Programs and Features in the search box, and then click View installed updates in the left pane.
  2. Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section.
  3. Right-click Windows Internet Explorer 9, click Uninstall, and then, when prompted, click Yes.
  4. Click one of the following:
    • Restart now (to finish the process of uninstalling Internet Explorer 9 and restore the previous version of Internet Explorer).
    • Restart later

Note

After you uninstall Internet Explorer 9, the previously installed version of Internet Explorer will be available on your PC. It isn't necessary to reinstall.

If the previous steps didn't work to uninstall Internet Explorer, see How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 9 when the standard uninstallation process doesn't work.

Follow these steps and your computer should automatically default to Internet Explorer 8.

Good luck everyone! :)

I got an interview invite this afternoon as well. Came by e-mail, sent in my reply. For scheduling reasons I also selected the October 12 date.

I'm a Washingtonian, so I fit the regional bias. Long time lurker, btw, finally decided to actually contribute :laugh:.

Got the invite yesterday as well! woo hoo! complete 8/14

got one this morning! through email :)

Congrats to those with interviews! When were you guys completed and what are your stats? Are you guys all from that area?

II here too...

~3.4 & 30R
not from the area

I have a friend in this school. She loves the facilities and her overall experience so far. I know there is one guy on SDN that has a pretty negative opinion of his time here, but it seems like most really enjoy it here.

Interview! Hoping for 10-12. Any current students have any suggestions or info regarding the interview day?

Yay! Interview invite! I was verified on 8/14. I'm shooting for the 10/12 date.

interview!! i was notified that i was complete and under review around 8/20.
3.8/3.93/30Q and from NY

II here too...

~3.4 & 30R
not from the area

I have a friend in this school. She loves the facilities and her overall experience so far. I know there is one guy on SDN that has a pretty negative opinion of his time here, but it seems like most really enjoy it here.

Heh, just make sure you guys know how much you will be paying and what you will be getting in return. Any school will allow you to be an adequately trained physician, so ask yourself why pay this much for PNWU?

If you have a good answer, then by all means attend. If you are going in blindly or don't have a good answer to this, you will be disappointed.

That is all, good luck in your cycle.

Heh, just make sure you guys know how much you will be paying and what you will be getting in return. Any school will allow you to be an adequately trained physician, so ask yourself why pay this much for PNWU?

If you have a good answer, then by all means attend. If you are going in blindly or don't have a good answer to this, you will be disappointed.

That is all, good luck in your cycle.

Agreed. The first two years will be virtually the same no matter where you attend medical school. Everyone needs to pass step I so the material is the same no matter where you decide to attend. The 3rd and 4th year can vary a lot from site to site and each one will have its strengths and weaknesses. The best thing you can really do is pick the least expensive school with the best 3rd and 4th year rotations and make sure to nail your boards by knowing your First Aid book very well and doing a lot of practice questions. Geographic location of the school and the rotations does play a role in choosing a school as well, but you'll be attending class and studying all the time so unless you have a ton of family in the area where you attend really won't matter so much since you'll have little time to care about life outside of school.

If the price of PNWU looks reasonable and if you have very strong ties to the rotation site you think you want then this may be the place for you. Also, if you dig around and find the residency match lists of the places you think you want to attend look at them closely and imagine yourself on that match list. If you see that a large percent are entering fields X, Y, &Z and you want to do A or B then try to choose a school with more students going into A and B.

I know right now its all about getting into school, but if you have choices make sure to consider their 3rd and 4th year locations and reviews as well as their match lists because those years are important too.

So i've submitted my secondary but my committee letter is still pending. Do you guys think it would be okay to send them two science LORs and an MD LOR instead and just send the committee letter whenever it gets written??

I really want them to look at my app asap but since my committee letter is taking forever and I have no idea when that will be.

Any advice is appreciated. :)

So i've submitted my secondary but my committee letter is still pending. Do you guys think it would be okay to send them two science LORs and an MD LOR instead and just send the committee letter whenever it gets written??

I really want them to look at my app asap but since my committee letter is taking forever and I have no idea when that will be.

Any advice is appreciated. :)

I'm sure it's fine. I got an ii and I don't even have a committee letter, I just sent in two science LORs and a DO LOR. Hope that helps!

I'm sure it's fine. I got an ii and I don't even have a committee letter, I just sent in two science LORs and a DO LOR. Hope that helps!

Thanks for your input & congrats on your ii!! I think thats what I'll do..but im sure my committee letter will be strong so i think i'll send it once it arrives as well.

are you an instate applicant?

Well, October 12 was full so had to go with the next date to work in my schedule - 12-14. I guess I will have plenty time to prepare! Anybody interviewing before then, please report back on how it went! :)

Received an interview invite earlier this week! I'm not from the PNW area so I hope I'll still have a shot. (I am from a very rural area, though)
Hope to see some of you on 10/12!